Wanna buy a house in Thailand with your Thai wife / GF? Think twice and DON'T DO IT.

gp2002

What other reason has a man to get married than to further the interests of his wife?

Sex and procreation.

Ya I know, I read Camelot. But I was talking about the real world of cats and divorce lawyers.

Children are to insure the support of the mother when she gets old. Funding religion and making sure the words, Guilt Trip, never leave top of mind awareness.

Edited by thailiketoo

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rice farmers' daughters want nothing more than land, once the family's got a nice house and vehicles.

Gold will do as well.

They're not interested in other abstract paper/electronic "assets".

Hmm, maybe not so dumb after all. . .

I didn't say don't buy.

Based on economic models it is probably cheaper to rent currently than buy?

Legal basis from the prospective of a farang - no direct ownership .

It could be argued that the economic well being of your wife ( at this time) maybe better served by investing in a different class of asset.

I don't believe in god, but you clearly do because of your continual preaching!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You wrote, "There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no legal basis for buying a property.

I informed you about the real economic justification and legal basis. Perhaps you want to look at land prices in Rayong and Issan for the past 50 years and then tell me now is not the time to buy.

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Oh beforall the happily married members jump on me.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

If you're buying a house with a mortgage, why not? Otherwise, you are just throwing away your money every month and even the nicest landlords I have encountered in Thailand don't maintain their houses to a sufficiently high standard for me to want to live in them long term. I can't change the colour of the paint, make any alterations, install a fitted kitchen and bath or do anything else that I want to do if I rent.

rayongchelsea is right that it is cheaper to rent than buy, at least it is with the properties I have looked at. A 20-year mortgage costs nearly twice as much every month as paying rent on the same property. However, after twenty years (less,with extra payments) you, or your wife if you prefer, owns the house. After 20 years of renting, you have nothing.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

I bought a house in rayong ( for my wife) and a condo in Bangkok in 2002 ( transferred to my daughter).Exchange rate 45 to the dollar. I have done extremely well.

I bought 2 flats in London in 1990's have done extremely well.

I bought a condo by the beach 2008...bad buy..recession..over priced..

It's all in the timing..now is probably not a good time to buy..not arguing don't buy..

To a foreigner whose holdings are primarily in foreign currency the exchange rate is pivotal..

This is abit off topic..

• Like 1

OK inthepink don't listen to me. I've only been property developer in au for 40 years. Go to a financial advisor and get your answers. I don't mean a real estate agent here. However I will conceed one point. If ownership is your go at least Thailand is VERY cheap. Point is will be worth same in years to come. Pay cash say nominal $200k.

Problem is my super fund went up 18% last year. Do the sums. Get advice and don't be so so one way street.

If you're buying a house with a mortgage, why not? Otherwise, you are just throwing away your money every month and even the nicest landlords I have encountered in Thailand don't maintain their houses to a sufficiently high standard for me to want to live in them long term. I can't change the colour of the paint, make any alterations, install a fitted kitchen and bath or do anything else that I want to do if I rent.

Absolutely untrue, you're just doing it wrong.

Say you want to rent a nicely decorated, fitted and furnished house for B35,000 and plan to live there for at least five years.

Find a rundown place in the area you want for B15,000 and make sure the terms of the lease suit you. Now you have a budget of over a million baht to fix it up just the way you like, and much of what you spend that money on is your property you can take with you when you go.

rayongchelsea is right that it is cheaper to rent than buy, at least it is with the properties I have looked at. A 20-year mortgage costs nearly twice as much every month as paying rent on the same property. However, after twenty years (less,with extra payments) you, or your wife if you prefer, owns the house. After 20 years of renting, you have nothing.

Whether you prefer it or not, it's the wife that owns it, and after 20 years of making payments you have nothing.

But again, if you're happy to - and can afford to - make such generous gifts toward her well-being then do please feel free to do so.

Since there's no way in he11 I'm still going to be with the same woman in twenty years, I'll make other choices thanks.

• Like 1

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

Didn't know god was posting here. Not? Well then how would you know there is no economic justification for buying property? How would you know there was no legal basis?

Whoops just found that ignore list ia not working on tapatalk.

Just to let others know, you are there because you keyboard warrior claim that if someone in distress trespasses your property, you shoot. (Of course, you don't have a weapon, but the concept is clear)

Anyway let's go one by one. The reason why you don't have legal basis is because so the Thai law dictates.

It is in my wife's economic interest and she has a legal basis to buy property.

Yes, with your money.

What other reason has a man to get married than to further the interests of his wife?

Actually seems a good reason for a mercenary woman, get married in her best interest.

Given the exceptions of the father in law owing a liquor store.

Your humour truly equates your intelligence.

There is no real economic justification at this time for buying property.

There is no need to slag someone off because they have, it's a choice..not always a good one but it's their choice.

Didn't know god was posting here. Not? Well then how would you know there is no economic justification for buying property? How would you know there was no legal basis?

Just to let others know, you are there because you keyboard warrior claim that if someone in distress trespasses your property, you shoot. (Of course, you don't have a weapon, but the concept is clear)

Anyway let's go one by one. The reason why you don't have legal basis is because so the Thai law dictates.

Yes, with your money.

Actually seems a good reason for a mercenary woman, get married in her best interest.

Are you getting me mixed up with someone else?

Say you want to rent a nicely decorated, fitted and furnished house for B35,000 and plan to live there for at least five years.

Find a rundown place in the area you want for B15,000 and make sure the terms of the lease suit you. Now you have a budget of over a million baht to fix it up just the way you like, and much of what you spend that money on is your property you can take with you when you go.

Whether you prefer it or not, it's the wife that owns it, and after 20 years of making payments you have nothing.

But again, if you're happy to - and can afford to - make such generous gifts toward her well-being then do please feel free to do so.

Since there's no way in he11 I'm still going to be with the same woman in twenty years, I'll make other choices thanks.

I have a 3-year old daughter who will ultimately benefit from whatever property we accumulate so I wouldn't see it as having nothing. I certainly intend staying with my partner for another twenty years, if for no better reason than to provide by daughter with a stable home life. I don't see how I can take a fitted kitchen and bath with me (not without causing some damage to the property or furnishings) and if I want to remodel the grounds etcetera, that would all be money down the drain.

You seem to be assuming the worst case here. If my relationship broke down for any reason, it could well be in 5 or 10 years' time, at which point I could decide whether I wished to continue contributing to the mortgage or not. Unlikely that it will last for 20 years and then suddenly crumble as the last payment is made. I will only be paying half the mortgage in any case so I stand to loose half a house, not a whole one, if you insist on looking at it that way.

In any case, as I said, it is ultimately for my daughter's benefit as I would rather leave her a house than a rental agreement and a pile of old furniture.

• Like 2

Yes, with your money.

What was your point? To flame me? Or something more about the topic? My mother in Law makes beer and her brother makes whiskey. Yes that was an incentive for me to marry her and be nice to the in laws. That's dumb?

Of course my money. Why else would a woman marry a man? Nesting instinct you know.

Every women has it eventually. If not now later.

Edited by thailiketoo

OK inthepink don't listen to me. I've only been property developer in au for 40 years. Go to a financial advisor and get your answers. I don't mean a real estate agent here. However I will conceed one point. If ownership is your go at least Thailand is VERY cheap. Point is will be worth same in years to come. Pay cash say nominal $200k.

Problem is my super fund went up 18% last year. Do the sums. Get advice and don't be so so one way street.

I am not looking at it as an investment for financial gain, I just prefer to live in a house that I can do whatever I want with. My investments are a different matter.

Also, I'm not saying that you or rayongchelsea are wrong, just that we have different outlooks.

Edited by inthepink

What was your point? To flame me? Or something more about the topic? My mother in Law makes beer and her brother makes whiskey. Yes that was an incentive for me to marry her and be nice to the in laws. That's dumb?

I see now.. reality is better than fiction. Wish the best to your liver. Edited by paz

I am not looking at it as an investment for financial gain, I just prefer to live in a house that I can do whatever I want with. My investments are a different matter.

Also, I'm not saying that you or rayongchelsea are wrong, just that we have different outlooks.

Actually I agree with you.

If you have children it's a completely different decision and absolutely the right thing to do.

Although the education system is so bad here, you may want to consider moving if the schools available are crap. Buying or renting a house is insignificant to the schooling you give your daughter.

I had to move.

I see now.. reality is better than fiction. Wish the best to your liver.

Do you ever say anything on topic or is it just one flow of flame that passes for content. Well Paz the idea is to comment on what I write. The comments about my body or personality went out in Anuban. Try growing up and posting like an adult.

Actually I agree with you.

If you have children it's a completely different decision and absolutely the right thing to do.

Although the education system is so bad here, you may want to consider moving if the schools available are crap. Buying or renting a house is insignificant to the schooling you give your daughter.

I had to move.

Schooling.....yeah, that's another difficult issue that I have to think about. I'm not too worried about it at her current age but I will be soon.

Inthepink , please no one is having a crack at you. I see you interest at heart is your child and seriously I admire that. My point is this. And not to you in particular. I'm over blokes here with nothing trying to make a life for everyone. Here is my spin. Farang can come here do what you are doing but NEED Ikey difference. II'm not being smart ass but I can just buy the bloody thing and leave it for child/mother. But you talk about mortgage. Bad move brother. Also when your pushing up daisies who says your child will get a zac. Sounds like you ain't flash with cash. That's no sin. Here's what you do . RENT RENT RENT. cheaper and try and put money away for kid/mother.

Clearly you won't do this .

Back to the OP. NEVER BUY REAL ESTATE FOR YOR WIFE CHILD OR WHOEVER.

What is wrong with farang. Is it only stupid people that come and live in Thailand

Britman is so correct.

I just don't get it. WHY BUY PROPERTY. IN THE GF OR JOINT NAME . It doesn't make sense.

Fact is if relationship isn't polluted by financial sticky tape it has a better chance. REN RENT RENT. If your with her for some years and split, do the right thing. Give her some cash.

On a financial advice level real estate here does not add up. Stick your money into other assets and rent. My super fund went up 18% last year. I kid you not. And that's tax free.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

can you do that with a rental?

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

Your home is NOT your castle. And you don't do to it whayever you want, if you buy it for your GF

I also think it's very funny when people post here. Or when you neet somebody with their girlfriend/wife in Thailand. And they write/say my wife have never worked in a bar or as a prostitute.

Have you ever neet someone in your home country telling you that?

I also think it is funny when a man is wrong and tries to change the topic instead of admit he was wrong.biggrin.png
Wrong about what???

You wrote, "I don't know anyone at home that got divorced and got nothing. They split it between the two involved of course"

That is not the norm and you probably know it. If you don't; now you do. Thank the people for educating you.

It's not the norm in my country. The normal divorce is shared custody of the children. And splitting the house, car, money and everything else. In most cases they will sell their house and split the money

Britman is so correct.

Why buy.

Why buy?

Many reasons,

First because your home is your castle, you do to it what ever you want and you make it yours,

can you do that with a rental?

You can personalize it, add to it or remove from it. can you do that with a rental?

and if the fancy hits, set it on fire and play the violin while you watch it burn, Can you do that with a rental.

You generate equate,

Pride of ownership

And if you really love your wife and children, , and care what happens to her, one day when you die,they are provided with a house to live in.

Geez you couldn't resist could you. Yes your one of those farang here with the new family and second or third chance after it went to rubbish in farang land. Fact is average age of expats living here on sustainable income I guess is 50 up. Most of us don't need or want the replacement family. Go live in the issan village. I wish you well. What is your barrow ain't mine. Got to go. Time to gave a shag.

The most baffling of all sights in bkk was watching men clearly in their 60's and 70's. some 40's, pushing strollers, with thai wife, ready to shop.

It nearly sent me directly to the vasectomy doctor

Scarpolo I have had a few cracks at you in past but smiled at your latest post. I love the 65 up pushing a pram. At least theywwon't have to kick a football with em in years to come. Never mind next fella will.

All of this is price dependent,

if we are talking 2,000,000 Baht, that is $60,000 US

Over 10 years, its $6,000 a year, or $500 a month.

That gets a lot of home in Thailand for that term

I have a 3-year old daughter who will ultimately benefit from whatever property we accumulate so I wouldn't see it as having nothing. I certainly intend staying with my partner for another twenty years, if for no better reason than to provide by daughter with a stable home life. I don't see how I can take a fitted kitchen and bath with me (not without causing some damage to the property or furnishings) and if I want to remodel the grounds etcetera, that would all be money down the drain.

You seem to be assuming the worst case here. If my relationship broke down for any reason, it could well be in 5 or 10 years' time, at which point I could decide whether I wished to continue contributing to the mortgage or not. Unlikely that it will last for 20 years and then suddenly crumble as the last payment is made. I will only be paying half the mortgage in any case so I stand to loose half a house, not a whole one, if you insist on looking at it that way.

In any case, as I said, it is ultimately for my daughter's benefit as I would rather leave her a house than a rental agreement and a pile of old furniture.

what are the property laws, for children?

I've got no problems with doing it the OP and your way - her home, her mortgage, I pay/contribute towards it but no entanglements if/when it's time to go.

But to me that's paying rent not buying.

Inthepink , please no one is having a crack at you. I see you interest at heart is your child and seriously I admire that. My point is this. And not to you in particular. I'm over blokes here with nothing trying to make a life for everyone. Here is my spin. Farang can come here do what you are doing but NEED Ikey difference. II'm not being smart ass but I can just buy the bloody thing and leave it for child/mother. But you talk about mortgage. Bad move brother. Also when your pushing up daisies who says your child will get a zac. Sounds like you ain't flash with cash. That's no sin. Here's what you do . RENT RENT RENT. cheaper and try and put money away for kid/mother.

Clearly you won't do this .

Back to the OP. NEVER BUY REAL ESTATE FOR YOR WIFE CHILD OR WHOEVER.

What is wrong with farang. Is it only stupid people that come and live in Thailand

When I first became able to buy a house in the US, I had to strongly consider the shakiness of my first marriage, and I was sure, we wouldnt make it, so even though there were ample opportunities I did nomt buy the house we live in, and the kids grew up in, because, I guesstimated, I wouldnt be able to live in it, and I wouldnt have any control if she decided to remarry, or move a guy in, to keep spousal support.

The best non decision I ever made,

The marriage didnt make it, she indeed tried to have the boyfriend break into the kids money, stashed safely in an irreovable trust, and the bottom line is,

2 wives later, I an one kid, are still in the home.'

If there were protections of that enforceable magnitude in Thailand, then by all means, own real estate, in a trust, but never individually, period

Scarpolo I have had a few cracks at you in past but smiled at your latest post. I love the 65 up pushing a pram. At least theywwon't have to kick a football with em in years to come. Never mind next fella will.

Trust me, I can take it!

it just requires some sleep and a fully developed sense of humor,.

something which many fellas miss on these pages.

13 days in, and I have not trulty adjusted to the time change

and yes, the girls always look, unrefined

Edited by Scarpolo

I've got no problems with doing it the OP and your way - her home, her mortgage, I pay/contribute towards it but no entanglements if/when it's time to go.

But to me that's paying rent not buying.

While in bkk, I decided to move in with the soap star.

I took over the payments for the time I was there, and didnt skimp and even made improvements to the kitchen, and her bedroom (mostly for my enjoyment and comfort)

but each time I did, I calculated first the exchange rate, which for me went like this,

hmmmm, for $100 I can buy a dinette set, and for another $200, I can buy new linens and a comforter, and for $200. I can get her to go half, on a new refridgerator, so I can load it up with Hogaarten, fresh meat from the Gourmet market, and tons of vegetables for my juicer, AND

I will still be with a 32 year old who will greatly appreciate being "taken care" of,

does her own hair and nails, and I will have spent less than my wife was spending every two weeks at the hairdresser.

done deal.

first thing I did though was buy a hot water heater for the shower.

for another $100, I was warm, cozy, and sleeping next to a 32 year old with the body of a high school gymnast with legs that seemed as long as my last wife's entire body.

cost averaged over the 4 months I lived with her, the math still favors me, and most importantly,

I will be welcomed back in that bedroom, any time, assuming I get there within the next few months as she hopes. (and before jacksam and others track her down!)

That to me, is an investment inThailand

Edited by Scarpolo