New Burrito Shop/Taqueria In Town

OMGImInPattaya

I tried it last night. It was quiet, but likely everywhere is quiet now. I had the chili burrito. Large, fresh and a good price. It won't win an award, but it did have good flavor, and plenty of beef. They have a good selection of cheap tacos, and looks like they poached some taco bell items - crunch wrap, grillers, etc. If I am not wrong, this is the only place in Thailand with a true Cali burrito - complete with french fries and guac. I want to try it next time. The place was clean, that's because I think its new. Lets see if they can keep it clean. Their menu system sucks, but they said they are putting up a large board soon. The small menu is barely readable at my age. lol. I would imagine a lot of people will hit this late night after boozing at the local pubs.

Warren

post-205831-0-09220400-1396149012_thumb.

• Like 1

Interesting. Will give it a try and see it it's worth getting a few to stash in the fridge to consume over Songkran. Wonder if the place delivers.

You obviously didn't look at the picture in the post above. The front door says "FAST DELIVERY: 038-720-070"

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Interesting. Will give it a try and see it it's worth getting a few to stash in the fridge to consume over Songkran. Wonder if the place delivers.

You obviously didn't look at the picture in the post above. The front door says "FAST DELIVERY: 038-720-070"

Thank you. :) Could be good news for many who will go to ground during Songkran esp.

I tried it last night. It was quiet, but likely everywhere is quiet now. I had the chili burrito. Large, fresh and a good price. It won't win an award, but it did have good flavor, and plenty of beef. They have a good selection of cheap tacos, and looks like they poached some taco bell items - crunch wrap, grillers, etc. If I am not wrong, this is the only place in Thailand with a true Cali burrito - complete with french fries and guac. I want to try it next time. The place was clean, that's because I think its new. Lets see if they can keep it clean. Their menu system sucks, but they said they are putting up a large board soon. The small menu is barely readable at my age. lol. I would imagine a lot of people will hit this late night after boozing at the local pubs.

Warren

I tried it. It is across from a large, purple hotel (Sawasdee), not far from Soi Diana. The place is new, clean and air-conditioned. The prices are very reasonable. I sampled a carnitas taco and it was good. I suggested to one of the waiters that they offer rice and beans (frijoles) with their dishes. He said they had black beans but no frijoles and added, "I will tell the boss what you said the next time I see him." Receptive: I liked that part. The staff seemed friendly. I look forward to trying their burrito and already wish they had a branch in Jomtien.

• Like 1

I've always thought a Taco Bell franchise would work in Pattaya. Perhaps this is sometihng close?

Mikes isn't that good and way over priced. Sams has good Buffalo wings but the Mexican isn't really Mexican.

Have baht, will travel and give this joint a try. Thanks to the OP for the heads up. I'd read it on the other thread but it did get lost in all the rumble and rambles. I hope they have a really hot sauce, mexican style. The one at Sunrise was actually pretty good. Maybe they can get a deal on the leftovers there.

On related note, is that Chinese "Wok" joint in that same area any good? I could buy two take outs in one visit, one Mexican and one Chinese! Who said Pattaya was full of "cheap charlies"? Only the "bar owners" in Bangkok make such claims about us.

On the related note, in my opinion ... NO!bah.gif

On the guac point before, as this place is a low cost venue, I'm not really dissing them if they use green mayo for guac. What else could it be for a cheap price? Just sort of a heads up to those who don't want to eat green mayo.

I tried the guacamole (only 49 baht); it had a very smooth texture...too much mayo. They do seem receptive to suggestions, so perhaps suggest that they do not add mayo. IMHO, it is not the same as a first-class taqueria in the USA, but it is OK. I will eat there again.

That's normal cheap fake guac. For the same portion of real 100 percent cado guac, they'd probably have to charge 150 baht. Not their market. I wouldn't even ask. Real guac NEVER has ANY mayo. It's also really hard here to have dependable supply of ripe cado.

Edited by Jingthing

On the guac point before, as this place is a low cost venue, I'm not really dissing them if they use green mayo for guac. What else could it be for a cheap price? Just sort of a heads up to those who don't want to eat green mayo.

The prices aren't that cheap...especially for the dishes that contain guacamole. They are, however, reasonable especially if the quality is there. Also, there are domestic Thai and probably Chinese sources for avocados that aren't that expensive. I've seen and bought them at foodland.

The prices aren't that cheap...especially for the dishes that contain guacamole. They are, however, reasonable especially if the quality is there. Also, there are domestic Thai and probably Chinese sources for avocados that aren't that expensive. I've seen and bought them at foodland.

Those cheaper Thai Haas type cados are only available for VERY LIMITED time periods during the year. I know all about this. I stock cados at home all year.

I get it ... some of you find green mayo guac OK. I don't. I'd rather have nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

Those cheaper Thai Haas type cados are only available for VERY LIMITED time periods during the year. I know all about this. I stock cados at home all year.

I get it ... some of you find green mayo guac OK. I don't. I'd rather have nothing.

I've never seen or tasted this mayo-guac you refer too. Where can said concoction be found? I've never made my own guacamole, is mayo normally part of the ingredients? Edited by OMGImInPattaya

My only other complaint is that the interior decor is very plain and sterile and is brightly lit. They could throw some kitschy Mexican decor items up like some sombreros and burro pictures on the walls and hang a couple piñatas from the cealing. Turning down the high-key lightning would be nice too.

• Like 1

Come on jt, quit telling us about your decades of Cali-Mex experiences and green may guac from back home.

Get down to Taco House and give it your fair, balanced, reasoned and well-stuffed review. Especially the carnitas.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Come on jt, quit telling us about your decades of Cali-Mex experiences and green may guac from back home.

Get down to Taco House and give it your fair, balanced, reasoned and well-stuffed review. Especially the carnitas.

Cheers!

I will have a somewhat detailed review coming. The short review is flavor profile remarkably similar to Sunrise but greasier. I doubt I'll be a regular but I predict success based on OK quality, price point, and perfect location. A culinary destination though it is not.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK.

I ordered the chips and salsa, 50 baht

post-37101-0-13043300-1396198120_thumb.j

Chips tasted like Doritos. I only ate a few of them. Not worth the calories.

There are two salsa choices, spicy and house. Thick preps, similar to some at Sunrise. Had the spicy. Flavor hot but flat/one dimensional. No proper salsa fresca on offer as you would find at a PROPER Mexican restaurant.

Bottled chilie sauce stuff at the front if you want.

Salsa situation not wonderful.

I was confused by the menu. I didn't see a salsa bar or salsa on the tables so I thought you had to order chips to get salsa.

That proved to be wrong. You can get the large salsa bottles at the table for your meal but the bottles look limited so if it's crowded that might be a problem.

Carnitas and I think Al Pastor tacos (both pork), 65 baht each

These were the only two tacos not served w/ sour cream and guac on them, which I didn't want.

I did view the guac in the kitchen, I saw some chunks in it, so I can't say for sure about the percentage of MAYO content.

Although eating onsite, served wrapped in paper, a la Taco Bell.

When opened they fell apart.

They should serve onsite without the paper.

The meat was microwaved.
The portion of meat was small.

The flavor of the meat was non-distinct, could hardly tell the diff between the two, though they LOOKED differently.

There was a large amount of grease perhaps encouraged by the microwaving, so the tortillas had a noticeable puddle of grease on them.

I chose the soft corn tortillas.

Similar flavor to Sunrise, but the flexibility was better.

Nothing like actual homemade corn tortillas in Mexico.

Toppings (like cilantro, chopped onion, fruit) created a Sunrise style flavor experience.

Which isn't saying great, just descriptive.

post-37101-0-40542300-1396198140_thumb.j

Side of black beans in a soupy setting, 30 baht, not pictured.

The beans seemed undercooked.

Portion OK for price.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Cheers!

I will have a somewhat detailed review coming. The short review is flavor profile remarkably similar to Sunrise but greasier. I doubt I'll be a regular but I predict success based on OK quality, price point, and perfect location. A culinary destination though it is not.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I tried taco house yesterday, had the crunch wrap thingy. high enjoyable. Hot, had to let it cool a bit before I could eat it. Very similar to taco bell, obviously a direct copy. I used to go to sunrise, a bit expensive but worth it for the air con, cleanliness, etc. Something about open air sweaty places that I cannot relax in. taco house air con, music, etc., all seemed nice. a note on the menu, i agree its a disaster system. but, staff told me the owner (canadian?) is putting in a proper board. all in all though, I cannot see any reason that this won't do well, price is right, food is good and a fantastic location. Bua khaw is quiet now though, not sure why.

• Like 1

What is the hygiene like in this place?

it looked ok to me, its open kitchen and you can see everything....shiny new? the tables were spotless, obviously they are going for rapid fire in/out dining, no hanging around. the wifi is a steal though.

What is the hygiene like in this place?

it looked ok to me, its open kitchen and you can see everything....shiny new? the tables were spotless, obviously they are going for rapid fire in/out dining, no hanging around. the wifi is a steal though.

I don't know, the decor is meh but tables for hanging around and just about everywhere has free WiFi now.

Glad to see the mostly positive reviews. (JT, yours has been the most negative so far but you have much higher standards i suspect than most of us. For example, I don't really expect tortillas made in Thailand to taste like those in Mexico.) It would be good enough foe me to have a Thai standard decent Taqueria that's open late in town that's also within steps of four ladyboy venues. (That last parts for you Jesse, you can legitimately flame away now.)

On another note, the staff boys looked Filipino to me; and if the owner is Canadian, he should have a decent grasp of Mexican comfort food American style. I'm not looking for Mexican food Mexican style from this place.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I've never seen or tasted this mayo-guac you refer too.

Mexican restaurants do it in Thailand because the local avocados are so tasteless. I have never heard of it in America, but I lived in California where avos were not so expensive. Some places did mix it with sour cream, but I don't mind that as it is somewhat traditional (in America anyway) and it adds a nice taste.

I've never seen or tasted this mayo-guac you refer too.

Mexican restaurants do it in Thailand because the local avocados are so tasteless. I have never heard of it in America, but I lived in California where avos were not so expensive. Some places did mix it with sour cream, but I don't mind that as it is somewhat traditional (in America anyway) and it adds a nice taste.

The guacamole was very inexpensive. It was, however, mixed with something (mayo, I assume). It was not what I prefer, but added inside a burrito or taco, it probably fulfils a need. If they make it like I want it, they would likely have to double the price. The place is very clean. No decorations, but maybe that will come later. I too was confused a bit about the salsa situation (remember, though, they just opened up). I did see two salsa bottles near where the staff was working: one was jalapeno and the other was chipolte. I picked them up and brought them to my table. It would be nice to have salsa fresco in a cup and other salsas in bottles, maybe a red, green, and orange versions like Jorge did in his now defunct Mexican restaurant in Bangkok (forgot the name, but his salsas were great). I would like to see frijoles and Mexican rice on the menu, with the option of adding them to your order (e.g. taco with beans and rice). I wonder if the owner ever reads Thai Visa. Maybe we could provide valuable information that would make the place a real success story. Of course, I would love to see other items on the menu, specifically: cheese enchiladas,puerco pibil (sp?), chile releno, and tamales, but that is asking for a miracle. One step at a time. I am eager to try one of their burritos. Finally, I also found it "odd" that they wrapped in the taco and served it that way (no need to do that, IMHO). I want to see this place survive, evolve in a positive direction and expand to my doorstep smile.png

Edited by Rimmer