Many southern voters rallying in Bangkok

Lite Beer

Many southern voters rallying in Bangkok
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Election officials in some southern provinces expressed concern yesterday that the ongoing anti-government rally may affect the voter turnout for today's half-Senate poll, although some provinces expected a high turnout of up to 80 per cent in their constituencies.

Many eligible voters from the South are taking part in anti-government protests in Bangkok and are not expected to return home in time for voting.

Saneh Rakrong, election director of Trang, said local electoral officials had cut the estimated voter turnout to 70 per cent, down from 80 per cent. That was because many eligible voters are taking part in the rally in Bangkok.

The anti-government protesters, led by former veteran Democrat politician Suthep Thaugsuban, have moved their main rally site to Lumpini Park.

They held a mass march yesterday from the park to the Royal Plaza.

Election officials in the southern province of Surat Thani said they expected a turnout of no less than 50 per cent as a large number of eligible voters were taking part in the protest in Bangkok.

Local electoral authorities expressed a readiness to hold the half-Senate vote today and they expected no disruptions by protesters, unlike in the general election of February 2.

Pimprapai dichawong, election director in the northern province of Lamphun, expressed confidence that it would again achieve the highest voter turnout of all provinces of the country.

She estimated that at least 80 per cent of eligible voters would cast votes.

Election officials in other provinces gave estimates of between 60-70 per cent.

Many provinces expected the vote count to be completed by 6pm and unofficial vote results by 8pm. Voting is open from 8am to 3pm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-30

Shure, they get well paid and since weeks there is no rain in the South. Nearly no income from tap rubber.

In November, in my village I and the Burmese were the only one left, most Thais went to Bangkok.

Edited by Mentors

Let me get this straight, The local EC bloke is worried that people will not vote in the South because they are busy supporting the PDRC who are trying to stop elections.

Have I confused something here?

Its simple,they get paid more to protest than they do to vote. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Many eligible voters from the South are taking part in anti-government protests in Bangkok and are not expected to return home in time for voting.

They are voting with their feet.

They do not need to worry about the Senate elections, they have been told by their messiah that when they overthrow the Government, part of the reform will mean that the senate will be 100% appointed by Suthep, so will only include 'good people'.

• Like 1

There must a few million eligible voters in the south, there are certainly not enough of them in Lumphini park to create any effect on the vote today surely, unless the effect they are having is preventing people from voting again?

• Like 1

They do not need to worry about the Senate elections, they have been told by their messiah that when they overthrow the Government, part of the reform will mean that the senate will be 100% appointed by Suthep, so will only include 'good people'.

part of the reform will mean that the senate will be 100% appointed by Suthep

I know Suthep says a lot of things but I don't remember hearing him say that or reading that statement from him. Can you please post a link to this statement?

• Like 2

I know Suthep says a lot of things but I don't remember hearing him say that or reading that statement from him. Can you please post a link to this statement?

Other than talking about 'REFORM' in general, Suthep has given next to no details on any particular reforms, which makes it all the more difficult to believe that people are buying into it so much- I am sure if supporters really wanted and believed they would get real reform(as in good for the whole country, rather than themselves), they would apply pressure on Suthep to detail them.

All we know now is that Suthep wants an un-elected council, who he says will reform things. Which reforms, reforms for who, how long they will take, who will do them are conveniently omitted. So much for his desire to clear up transparency etc

The very fact that he is not being pushed to answer this questions points to the view that this is simply a grab for power by one group of persons over another, and the 'educated' supporters of PDRC are being used in a similar way to the 'uneducated' red shirts by TS.

• Like 2

Up here, where I live, (Chiang Dao, Chiang Mai Province), hardly anybody is voting in the senate election. A lot of people don't even know about it and the ones who do, don't care. There is starting to be a lot of apathy up here now.

Hopefully with the political events of the last thirteen years and especially for the last two plus years governance under the latest Thaksin proxy and puppet enough Thai's have learnt to vote for Senators seeking immediate political reform.

complete nonsense

• Like 1

He can't post a link because he is just another Red Shirt/PT supporter posting lies just the same as the Red Shirts/PT do themselves

• Like 2

again we see the red supporters in here trying to spread their innuendo and lies but what can we expect from this mob although they could be just upset because someone has run off with their cow........whistling.gif

I'm sure that suthep and his backers provided buses and "expenses" to transport the rent-a-crowd up to Bangkok, at the very least, I doubt they walked there. coffee1.gif

I just drove past the voting in my village beside Phanat Nikhom, Chonburi. Very quiet. Everyone at village shops on a Sunday session...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this the government that is 100 % appointed by their messiah in Dubai?

• Like 1

I'm sure that suthep and his backers provided buses and "expenses" to transport the rent-a-crowd up to Bangkok, at the very least, I doubt they walked there. coffee1.gif

At the very least I also doubt that the voters from the South walked to BKK.

"They are voting with their feet." - It has been described as "a tool for enhancing political freedom: the ability of the people to choose the political regime under which they wish to live".[2]

Shure, they get well paid and since weeks there is no rain in the South. Nearly no income from tap rubber.

In November, in my village I and the Burmese were the only one left, most Thais went to Bangkok.

I know quite some people that went to Bkk to join the protests , some are family .

None of them get payed .

Maybe u could provide us with some proof , I am very curious about it .

pretty much yes, so at least we are in agreement that this is exactly what is happening and all this reform stuff is complete nonsense. Least we can call a spade a spade now, and see this is not about reform, just a power grab.

• Like 1

Let me get this straight, The local EC bloke is worried that people will not vote in the South because they are busy supporting the PDRC who are trying to stop elections.

Have I confused something here?

Its simple,they get paid more to protest than they do to vote. thumbsup.gif

Please post some proof......

Another bloody election ? Is it a dry day then ? TV could do us a favor and do a calendar where all these disruptive events are. Although it seems it's just about every weekend now.

Nto s sobre day rof srue...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

pretty much yes, so at least we are in agreement that this is exactly what is happening and all this reform stuff is complete nonsense. Least we can call a spade a spade now, and see this is not about reform, just a power grab.

I also grow tired of all this false talk of reform. There is a core part of Sutheps support that does want reform. That base has been corroding away as more and more people realize this is a power grab, as you call it, and not a machine for real political reform. This is about taking power back from thaksin. There have been debates about whether this is good or bad for years and I don't care to step into it. However, call a spade a spade. Reform has a nice ring to it, but this is about power, and the country is divided between the two sides vying for it. I still maintain elections mediated by ASEAN is the way forward out of this deep hole thailand continues to dig for itself. Wishful thinking, I know.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand