Things we cannot change

anon11

Why is it there are so many posts about things we cannot change all the discussion in the world will not change the laws and regulations in any country that you are a visito,as we are but VISITORS in another country and our presence can be recinded at anytime WITH OUT our opinion.

Sometimes I feel we get all bitter and twisted about issues that we should just say " oh well that's their laws" we lose sleep over it. I beleive that we as ALIENS come here for a cheaper more relaxed life that's the bottom line for most we could have the life style in our countries that's the BOTTOM line yet so many people complain and want to change things.

ALl I know is Thailand is a beautiful country and it's people are the greatest gift offerred to us so lets stop complaining about silly things this is expensive now can't buy beer on certain days why do I have to do this.....and PLEASE stop saying " well where I come from we do this way " hello you are not there anymore.

Just enjoy Thailand and it's people and what it's got to offer then sit back and think about those silly little things and think whta's more important.

I am not getting at anyone and or any particular posting it's just my my point of view.

A red wine is calling.....

Good evening to you all

And Good Evening to you.

You better stick to your red wine, than writing nonsense on TV.

What are we supposed to do than moan and groan on TVF?

As about "Thai people are the greatest gift offerred to us"

I have my reservations there......I had better gifts offered to me during my life.thumbsup.gif

Dear Costas2008

Perhaps if you have had better gifts then go back to where you got those gifts what was it a donna kabab ....and if you don't like THAI PEOPLE what the hell are you doing here ummmm let me think I would have a pretty good idea.....from your avatar t would be a natural assumption that you would be a moaner horses for courses...as for nonsense read youur own words first.....don't choke on your next kakbab

The OP may be provoking you guys. However the answers he got are unnecessarily unpleasant.

Well, I think many might agree that his red wine could be only slightly darker than his rose-tinted glasses.

A forthright statement like "Thai people are the greatest gift offered to us" will prompt forthright responses.

Had the statement been "We are the greatest gift ever offered to the Thai people" I think it would have been nearer to the truth. wink.png

Edited by Jip99

I've not been in Thailand all that long.

Wouldn't describe it as beautiful, dirty, polluted and covered in litter might be a better description.

I'm in ChiangMai and even the air is dirty, so dirty I can hardly breathe.

Same as many other third world countries.

But it is cheap, very, very cheap compared to the UK.

And warm, very, very warm compared to the UK.

But OP is right in that we can't change anything, cheap, warm and dirty is OK for me.

Can't talk about the Thai people, not impressed by the ones I find in the tourist areas, haven't met any from anywhere else.

Not to mention I can't speak Thai, and the Thais (outside tourist areas) probably can't speak English, French or Spanish.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

And Good Evening to you.

I have my reservations there......I had better gifts offered to me during my life.thumbsup.gif

Dear Costas2008

Perhaps if you have had better gifts then go back to where you got those gifts what was it a donna kabab ....and if you don't like THAI PEOPLE what the hell are you doing here ummmm let me think I would have a pretty good idea.....from your avatar t would be a natural assumption that you would be a moaner horses for courses...as for nonsense read youur own words first.....don't choke on your next kakbab

After I had my rant at you and you had your rant at me, hope you are feeling better.

I do, anyway.

Now some clarifications:

Doner kebab is a Turkish dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, normally lamb but also a mixture of veal or beef with these, or sometimes chicken. The dish is also widely known by its Arabic name "shawarma" or the Greek name "gyros".

Never heard of donna kabab or kakbab.......must be things you enjoy associating with or eating.

As to what the hell am I doing here?

I'm enjoying my self and have a comfortable life, no plans for going back to Greece.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Now, as to my avatar, the Greek flag, would be a natural assumption that I would be a moaner horses for courses, it must have taken you a long time and superior intelligence to come up with this assumption.

As I said before, better stick to your red wine.

And Good Evening to you.

Dear Costas2008

OP, You are twisting words to suit yourself........................Sit back a while and think.........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yep we are all here for one reason or another, and life is short, so just enjoy our time, and ''Chill''..

and ''Yes'' there is a couple of things that get me going, but as time goes, i let it blow over me...

its the best way.., or i would be driven insane...

Enjoy....

• Like 1

Life here is pretty simple...Accept, Adjust and Enjoy it,

If it isnt as good or better than where we come from what are we doing here?

Why complain and try to change it to what we left behind, isnt that why we left, because we wern't satified with what we had?

• Like 1

Why complain and try to change it to what we left behind, isnt that why we left, because we wern't satified with what we had?

So nobody is allowed to critisize about any aspect of thailand, you mean ? Nowhere it is perfect, nowhere......just keep quiet and accept it you write. Do you maybe not understand that many critisize, and explain it, because they actually care ....

• Like 1

So nobody is allowed to critisize about any aspect of thailand, you mean ? Nowhere it is perfect, nowhere......just keep quiet and accept it you write. Do you maybe not understand that many critisize, and explain it, because they actually care ....

You're right nowhere is perfect . And I didnt say keep quiet but Im certainly not going to get stressed and whine about things I have no control over...

But what I actually mean is they complain and criticise about life here because they would prefer it the way it was 'back home'.

You see it here everyday, why do we have to do this, why do we have to do that, why cant I buy a drink when I want to.

I learned very early in life not to get stressed about the things you cant change, its their country their rules and laws and we CHOSE to come and live here.

Yep! accept it adjust and enjoy it because it's where we chose to live....Try it, it leads to a stress free enviroment.

One things for sure, if I hated it as much as a lot of posters here, I just wouldn't stay

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 1

You're right nowhere is perfect . And I didnt say keep quiet but Im certainly not going to get stressed and whine about things I have no control over...

But what I actually mean is they complain and criticise about life here because they would prefer it the way it was 'back home'.

You see it here everyday, why do we have to do this, why do we have to do that, why cant I buy a drink when I want to.

I learned very early in life not to get stressed about the things you cant change, its their country their rules and laws and we CHOSE to come and live here.

Yep! accept it adjust and enjoy it because it's where we chose to live....Try it, it leads to a stress free enviroment.

One things for sure, if I hated it as much as a lot of posters here, I just wouldn't stay

U are correct about ...no to worry about things u cant change...the ban to buy alcohol on electiondays is a perfect example of that.....how utter stupid and telling that law is.....even the thais consider it, because many break it, with or without paying teamoney to the BIB.

It is normal for people in general to compare the differences between te heir homenation and in this case Thailand. It makes people fully aware though that all is not that bad in their country of origin regarding laws and regulations. Safety comes to mind.....how many thais you see driving a motorbike with children without an helmet......how many thais you see driving a car with young children without a proper infant carseat. Many,i have seen, if not 90%. In your opinion it is ok to NOT complain about that to the people concerned. Most surprising was that i witnessed many foreigners adapting to this way of acting. When i made a remark about it ....their response was same as you.

Critisizing and bashing is not the same. Everybody has his/her own opinion and has (had) his/her own experiences whilst living here. Respect that and keep an open mind....empathy costs nothing.

So nobody is allowed to critisize about any aspect of thailand, you mean

I think the OP is trying to say that there is little point in criticising this and that, because you cannot change anything. So why get stressed and raise your blood pressure over some crazy, illogical and frustrating situation that you cannot change.

Chill out, have a glass of wine, and let the madness pass you by....

Simon

• Like 1

You are very wrong!

Thailand has slowly changed and become more westernized every day for the past 200 years and will continue to do so.

I see it happening every day.

Be honest, if you are not blind, you see it too!

Government, politics, technology, diet, almost everything has been westernized!

Extreme example....fashion:

Pre western influence

post-147745-0-79355800-1396239075_thumb.

1900 Thai fashion

post-147745-0-17989000-1396239122_thumb.

Thai fashion today

post-147745-0-12796700-1396239408_thumb.

I didn't say it is better, just that it has changed!

Edited by willyumiii

You are very wrong!

Thailand has slowly changed and become more westernized every day for the past 200 years and will continue to do so.

Pre western influence

attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpg

1900 Thai fashion

attachicon.gifsiamese_women_modernizing.jpg

Thai fashion today

attachicon.gif2ne1-william.jpg

Almost agree with you.

Should have mentioned, though, there are different ways of change.

Thais take to change eagerly from the surface, but never in depth. No wonder your extreme example is clothing. It is less than skin deep.

IMHO Thais adopt changes very superficially, formally, on the surface without any chance of changing the 'substance' of their Thainess, their customs, their culture, their social fabric that goes back for millennia.

One may ask why should they?

The answer lies in the fact that nobody likes (the outsiders and many Thais) - Education sucks, Corruption rampant, 'Democracy' non-existent, Laws rule None - and with this baggage Thais hope to jump into 21st century? Into The World's Hub of all good things and into an equal membership of ASEAN? The rude awakening is guaranteed and very soon...

Edited by ABCer

You are very wrong!

Pre western influence

1900 Thai fashion

Thai fashion today

Almost agree with you.

Thais take to change eagerly from the surface, but never in depth. No wonder your extreme example is clothing. It is less than skin deep.

IMHO Thais adopt changes very superficially, formally, on the surface without any chance of changing the 'substance' of their Thainess, their customs, their culture, their social fabric that goes back for millennia.

The answer lies in the fact that nobody likes (the outsiders and many Thais) - Education sucks, Corruption rampant, Laws rule none - and with this baggage Thais hope to jump into 21st century. The World's Hub of all good things and into an equal member of ASEAN. The rude awakening is guaranteed.

So how come the Cambodians and Laoations can manage such a step. Is their baggage different ?

You are very wrong!

Pre western influence

1900 Thai fashion

Thai fashion today

Almost agree with you.

The answer lies in the fact that nobody likes (the outsiders and many Thais) - Education sucks, Corruption rampant, Laws rule none - and with this baggage Thais hope to jump into 21st century. The World's Hub of all good things and into an equal member of ASEAN. The rude awakening is guaranteed.

So how come the Cambodians and Laoations can manage such a step. Is their baggage different ?

Sorry, Jip99, I must draw a line here. I do not know. I may have some ideas, but no definite answers.

However the facts are just facts. And it is not only Cambodians and Laotians. It is also Malaysians, Vietnamese, Burmese and above all Chinese. Leaving out the rest.

Come ASEAN in 2015 Thailand will quickly find itself the backyard of the new group formation.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1