Thai court ruling: Saudi embassy 'upset but not surprised'

webfact

THAI-SAUDI RELATIONS
Saudi embassy 'upset but not surprised'

The Nation

30230568-01_big.jpg?1396306524145

BANGOK: -- THE SAUDI ARABIAN embassy and relatives of a Saudi businessman whose mysterious disappearance 24 years ago upset Thai-Saudi relations voiced disappointment over a court ruling yesterday that dismissed a case against five police officers.

The Embassy's Charge D'affaires Abdulelah al-Sheaiby said he would report the ruling to the Saudi government, which will consider the next moves in regard to bilateral relations.

The Criminal Court yesterday dismissed charges in the high-profile trial of five Thai police accused of snatching and murdering Mohammad al-Ruwaili, a Saudi businessman with close links to the Saudi palace, in 1990.

The court said the charges were dismissed because the public prosecutors' evidence was weak and failed to convince the court that the officers had been involved in the murder and kidnapping.

Abdulelah al-Sheaiby said at a press conference later he was not surprised by the ruling. His side had doubted the |fairness of the trial after learning about the abrupt change of the judge shortly before the ruling.

He described Thai-Saudi relations as being "on-and-off" for a long period and noted "there is nothing that could make it worse".

"My side was already worried that the ruling would not be in line with the facts after learning that there was a change of judge," he said.

"I want to stress that Saudi Arabia is disappointed with the ruling."

He called for the media to consider the reasons behind the change in the judges, saying this could only lead to criticism and questions.

Speaking at the same press conference, Ateeq al-Ruwaili, the businessman's brother, said he was very disappointed with the ruling and expressed the view that the change of judge had made the trial unfair.

Lawyer Anek Kamchoom said his clients were not happy with the ruling but he would certainly submit an appeal, as allowed, within 30 days.

The disappearance of the businessman, along with the theft of invaluable jewels by a Thai janitor from a Saudi palace and the killing of three Saudi diplomats in Bangkok between 1989 and 1990, has severely strained Thai-Saudi relations.

The businessman is thought to have been abducted and killed |while police were searching for the jewellery.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-01

"upset but not surprised"

Is how I feel when I read most of the news stories here. The last time I didn't feel this way was when the boy wonder Thirawat Kongnukul won the Magician award.

lets not forget, Saudi Arabia is hardly a paragon of justice, I'm sure they understand that, and similar trials in their country implicating officials might also collapse. But shame on Thailand and let them suffer strained relations with the Saudis for decades to come, this whole affair has been a disgrace to Thailand.

• Like 1

Kurnell posted

Saudi can just walk away. Obviously Thailand doesn't need them

Wake up Homer ... Thailand would not be doing the pretend court cases if they did NOT want/NEED Sauooodi

They also need to convince the 250,000 + Thais who used to work there and sent back more than a billion a year (USD) in the 80's that the goverment; the elites actually care about them.... being that it was their, the elites, greed and theft that caused them to lose their jobs ....

Lets get with the plot!! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Kurnell posted

Saudi can just walk away. Obviously Thailand doesn't need them

Wake up Homer ... Thailand would not be doing the pretend court cases if they did NOT want/NEED Sauooodi

They also need to convince the 250,000 + Thais who used to work there and sent back more than a billion a year (USD) in the 80's that the goverment; the elites actually care about them.... being that it was their, the elites, greed and theft that caused them to lose their jobs ....

Lets get with the plot!! biggrin.png

I wish you would.

Just simply another example of justice not being served in this land of non truths, and no justice for the rich, the powerful, or the police. We all know the police are above the law. One can only speculate that the police are allowed to behave like roving gangs of revenue collection agents due to the governments' unwillingness to pay them a fair wage. It almost seems like a tacit agreement. We underpay you. You do as you please. One would think murder is stepping over the line, thought. Guess not. That on top of the fact that you have one of the weakest and most cowardly judiciaries in the world, and what do you have? This is not just my opinion. It has been reported in the press for years. Thailand does not have a good reputation worldwide, when it comes to fair, and equitable justice. These kinds of verdicts do not help.

• Like 1

BigBamboo Posted

I wish you would.

Unfortuantly Bigs there are many things that cannot be stated about this case. If you have been in Thailand awhile you would understand this. So that means you will have to look things up, read about them ... shock ... Gasp ... Horror!

Life is so unfair especially for those who need to be spoon fed.

Lets go ... biggrin.png

" By one estimate, at least 17 people have died as a result of the theft of the blue diamond, leading superstitious Thais to believe the diamond is cursed. Because of the "Blue Diamond Affair" Thais were prohibited from visiting Saudi Arabia for a generation and the number of Thai workers in Saudi Arabia declined from over a quarter million to less than 10,000. Thai-Saudi relations have yet to recover.

The New York Times once called it "the biggest scandal in the history of the Thai national police."

Thats right the biggest scandal for the bib and you seem not to know about it ... the mind is a terrible thing to waste bamboo

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

BigBamboo Posted

I wish you would.

Unfortuantly Bigs there are many things that cannot be stated about this case. If you have been in Thailand awhile you would understand this. So that means you will have to look things up, read about them ... shock ... Gasp ... Horror!

Life is so unfair especially for those who need to be spoon fed.

Lets go ... biggrin.png

" By one estimate, at least 17 people have died as a result of the theft of the blue diamond, leading superstitious Thais to believe the diamond is cursed. Because of the "Blue Diamond Affair" Thais were prohibited from visiting Saudi Arabia for a generation and the number of Thai workers in Saudi Arabia declined from over a quarter million to less than 10,000. Thai-Saudi relations have yet to recover.

The New York Times once called it "the biggest scandal in the history of the Thai national police."

Thats right the biggest scandal for the bib and you seem not to know about it ... the mind is a terrible thing to waste bamboo

Lom,

I have been here for many years and am well aware of the saga of the Blue Diamond and the reasons why it cannot be openly discussed.

When I need a lesson from you then it really will be time to pack up and head down south. thumbsup.gif

"The businessman is thought to have been abducted and killed while police were searching for the jewellery"

The police officers are being protected because it is said that they know who has the stolen jewelley.

Not many people can order the murder of a businessman and foreign diplomats with impunity ... not even the most corrupt Thai politicians. It disgusts me that some people here are so far above the law it's like the Dark Ages.

The sad aspect is the jewels cannot be sold or worn in public, so are of no use to the persons who have them. But instead of returning the jewels anonymously, their possessors are willing to risk bilateral ties between the 2 "kingdoms".

What's ironic is that the Saudis have a pretty good idea of the Thai intrigue as the Saudis have plenty of their own. Exactly the same scenario would happen if the roles were reversed. The Saudis know that they will never get to who ordered the killings - they will have to be content with maybe getting just the scapegoats.

This post is correct in all particulars and makes all the right points. In fact I'm slightly surprised it got past the censors. I would add only that if one adds up the amount of lost workers' remittances and possible losses in trade over the last 24 years that diamond has surely been acquired at a very high price - but of course the price has been paid by the thai nation not the guilty parties.

Edited by triffid
  • Like 2

I have been here for many years and am well aware of the saga of the Blue Diamond and the reasons why it cannot be openly discussed.

When I need a lesson from you then it really will be time to pack up and head down south. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Ok Basically you have nothing to say or add to this BUT get in a tizzy when other people do, and actually post about it on a discussion forum - Might try and find yourself a post where you actually have something to add or head to Narathiwat, whatever's good for you.

This society will do anything for money, Knowing that they will never be charged as criminals. All law enforcement can be bought!

Which is why it will always be a second rate country, if not verging on third-world.

Thailand IS third world no matter what the veneer is you see, of iPhones, iPads and other electronic gee-gaws.

At the end of the day, it is a country with zero education, where the population still believe in ghosts and other superstitious nonsense, and where money rules.

• Like 2