Beneficiary For My Thai Bank Account

I'm not expecting to die soon, but would like to put my girlfriend as a beneficiary on my Thai bank accounts, the most important being Krungsri/Ayudtha.

In the past, whenever I broached this subject, the banks use this opportunity to try to sell life insurance for which I have no need.

I assume that Thai Banks have a beneficiary form?

Has anyone done this?

Never let a Thai GF/wife know that upon your death she will inherit your assets and/or that monies/riches will be received. Rather, advise that when you die so does the golden goose. ... You think I'm kidding!!!!

• Like 1

Never let a Thai GF/wife know that upon your death she will inherit your assets and/or that monies/riches will be received. Rather, advise that when you die so does the golden goose. ... You think I'm kidding!!!!

Darn too right! Best is just open another bank account, keep the ATM card from sight and only make sure the password is provided for in your will! And would you believe, this advise is from a Thai friend! :)

Sent from my GT-P6200

Darn too right! Best is just open another bank account, keep the ATM card from sight and only make sure the password is provided for in your will! And would you believe, this advise is from a Thai friend! :)

Does not apply to wife, girlfriends only! LOL

Sent from my GT-P6200

I do feel sorry for people like you ,i really do ,such a sad way to have to live.

Cynical but common sense too.

Actually I'd fear more the relatives than my TGF.

If she gets rich so do they...

Present TGF expects to be sole beneficiary of my last will.

Haven't done anything about that yet.

BTW my Citibank SIN account manager, obviously concerned about my getting very senior, called me recently strongly urging me to designate a beneficiary or give somebody a power-of-attorney to dispose cleanly on my (sizable) account there when I say adieu.

My wife has my pin no's if i die the money is hers and our sons , but then i trust my wife(and if my card is used it pings up on my mobile)biggrin.png

But if your wife has drained your bank account, not in her name, after your death, then isn't this illegal? A bit suspicious if money has left your account AFTER your death? The police might look for a motive in case of a suspicious or unexplained death. All needless problems for your family.

BTW my Citibank SIN account manager, obviously concerned about my getting very senior, called me recently strongly urging me to designate a beneficiary or give somebody a power-of-attorney to dispose cleanly on my (sizable) account there when I say adieu.

My "sizable" ones bigger than your "sizable" one! well maybe not but mines a grower not a shower.

My "sizable" ones bigger than your "sizable" one! well maybe not but mines a grower not a shower.

Thanks for this silly flame, Mr JeremyBowskill !! LOL

I'll think twice in the future about contributing anything to the Thai Visa forums

Never know who is going to unpleasantly flame me !!

Edited by jayceenik

Thanks for this silly flame, Mr JeremyBowskill !! LOL

I'll think twice in the future about contributing anything to the Thai Visa forums

Never know who is going to unpleasantly flame me !!

Unpleasant? My, my what a sheltered life you must have lived! I guess we can put it down to cultural differences (I assume you are from the US) talking about how wealthy you are would be considered vulgar in the UK old fruity. xx

The OP got me thinking. Right now I have a Last Will entrusted to a notary in my home country. Easy enough to name on it my TGF as sole beneficiary of my (not of oligarchic-size) life savings. Problem is that I have three bank accounts in three different countries (like the 800k Baht I keep in LOS for retirement extension purposes). My notary would have to deal with SIN and BKK banks - not too easy, Id guess. Plus death taxes...

I think I could write two letters (Thai and English) and have them certified at my embassy: One to instruct the BKK bank to release my account to my TGF in case of my death and leave this letter in evidence in my things so she can find it. Another same one to my bank in SIN like they suggested. And join copies of those letters to my original Last Will with enough info for my notary to contact my TrueLove in LOS.

But no need to tell her now all the $$$ details. She is young, I like her, I wish her the best after I'm gone and my left-behind life savings would certainly contribute to her future happiness but like a BM said above: caution, caution makes for farang long Golden Years in LOS..

Edited by jayceenik

I have made a Will through a lawyer leaving my estate (whatever it may be) to my Thai partner. Then a friend of hers told her there might be problems with that as I have family at home. So, while visiting a different lawyer on a different matter I told her about the Will thing, she said it would have to go to court and it would be decided there. OK, I said.....I think I'll open a joint account and that way I can be sure she gets whatever there is.....Wrong, said the lawyer....she would still have to go to court to get the money. Seemingly, this is the way it is...if I open a joint account my partner can withdraw money at any time WHILE I'M ALIVE....after my death she has to have it sorted in court....just like the will situation.

As said earlier....easiest way seems to just let her have the pin No....if you are comfortable with that of course.

I think the posters here need to read some of the ThaiVisa threads about making wills for those residing in Thailand. As a general rule, I believe attorneys will advise one will done here for all assets in Thailand, and another separate will for assets in your home country.

The Thai will needs to conform to Thai laws and procedures, while your home country will needs to conform to the laws and procedures there. And you can bet they're likely not the same.

Thai wills can be done without involving Thai attorneys, and there are plenty of reasons to avoid them if at all possible. But that will also depend on the size and complexity of one's estate in Thailand. If you follow the procedures correctly, you can avoid both Thai attorneys and Thai probate courts by filing and registering your will at the local Amphur office. Again, there's a procedure and format for doing that.

Unfortunately, though, even if one goes thru all that, Thai banks seem to be so screwed up and inconsistent that it's pretty difficult to predict what the local bank manager is likely to do when your surviving widow shows up with your death certificate and Thai will naming her as the beneficiary of your bank account.

BTW, to Dotpoom above, while your Thai attorney might like you to believe that the only way these things can get handled is via Probate Court, that's just not true. The whole reason for having Amphur registered wills is to avoid Probate Court. But of course, if someone does the Amphur will route, then the attorney's going to miss out on his legal fees.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

My wife has my pin no's if i die the money is hers and our sons , but then i trust my wife(and if my card is used it pings up on my mobile)biggrin.png

Should it be discovered that she withdrew money from your account after your death she could be in some serious trouble.

It's very easy to make a testament and while making it have your wife video you reading the document and signing it as well as the witnesses and advocate.

OK, I said.....I think I'll open a joint account and that way I can be sure she gets whatever there is.....Wrong, said the lawyer....she would still have to go to court to get the money. Seemingly, this is the way it is...if I open a joint account my partner can withdraw money at any time WHILE I'M ALIVE....after my death she has to have it sorted in court....just like the will situation.

Have heard this before on this forum, but nothing definitive to prove it. But, in the off chance I die, and our joint account is subsequently sealed, I have advised the wife to, upon my death, move the funds to her individual account.

Should it be discovered that she withdrew money from your account after your death she could be in some serious trouble.

Not really, as there will be no one to contest her getting the money. That she's removing money from an account she jointly owns -- plus the Will says this money (my joint part) belongs to her -- what court, or even police station, would waste the time addressing this?

The only worry --TIT -- is the account could be sealed by a bank manager that has no definitive guidance to go on. I can only imagine the messiness of reversing all of this, thru the Thai courts, or having the manager change position. Anyway, instructions to wife: Move money before lighting my barbecue.