Think about it..Thailand ain't so cheap!

mr chow

Expensive or not, I don't take that into consideration,and maybe

other people do too,I live here because I like living here,I don't

exactly know what it is about Chiang Mai,it just feels comfortable ,

like an old pair of shoes,nothings really a hassle here,some may

say getting your extension every year may fall in to that category

bit with a little planning,couple hours one day every year.

Yes prices are going up,nearly every week,I don't know what the

cost of living is like back home,have not been back for 20 odd years,

and don't want to,it would have my head spinning,too many changes.

maybe the biggest change here is the availability of goods you need,

before if you needed anything just a little different ,it had to be sent

from Bangkok,or you had to go to Bangkok or even Singapore to find

it.

So if you find Chiang Mai is boring,getting too expensive,too much smoke

just bugger off somewhere else,its that simple.

regards Worgeordie

Well said Worgeordie! Since I've been here (1989) I haven't had 1 day were I felt I'd rather be somewhere else. Great food, people, weather (no snow/frost/ice) and my retirement pension allows me to live comfortably.

• Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more "expats" that come to live in Chiang Mai, the more expensive it will become.

Don't think so. (Chiang Mai will get more expensive regardless)

But fewer expats would mean less options, less choice. Think Chiang Mai around 1990 or before. You couldn't buy certain common Western things locally even if you had unlimited funds. Had kids and wanted to send them to an international / bilingual program? Well, severely limited options again. Wanted to by a child safety seat? Ha, don't think so! A proper espresso / cappuccino.. MAYBE at the Rincome hotel, but nowhere else. International cuisine: a handful of places that were reasonable. Buying a lampshade, or anything providing nicer light than bright white fluorescent tube: an undertaking! Western groceries: Kasem-Store-Roulette! (Never know what yer gonna get.. But lovely it was. )

So while more expats result in more OPPORTUNITIES to spend more money, it doesn't mean that you actually have to spend it if you're happy living like people did in 1990, or the way people currently do in places like places like, say, Nakhon Sawan.. Phitsanulok.. Phrae.. Chiang Rai to an extent.

Getting back to the lamp shade, these days there exist Thai people in shops who will speak to you in English about various types of light bulbs, with a choice of color temperature. Yes these places are expensive (Lamptitude..) but nothing is forcing me to buy; I could just get anything with an on and off switch that'll produce light, and just rig something like I did in the early 90s. But that very same LED light bulb or fixture I get at Lamptitude is more expensive than it is at Home Depot in the USA. And for that reason, people are now telling me in all seriousness that Chiang Mai is more expensive. And in their own way they're right.

554653_522534107773022_142049592_n.jpg

There is no way in the world Chiang Mai is more expensive than the states if you compare apples to apples and the whole barrel not just a few of the items.

northernjohn, where in the posts you are quoting does it say it is more expensive to live in Chiang Mai than "in the states" ?

My opinion is that the price of an item that was available in 1996 has a higher price now, and partially because of a growing expat community. You don't have to agree, as Winnie does not, and in my post I don't think I infer that it is more expensive here than "the states".

Sorry about that I was referring to Winnie's post

Other than imported food and drinks I'm struggling to think what else is more expensive here. If you consider that the major expenses of a house (rented or bought or built), a vehicle , clothing, healthcare, schooling, energy, transportation, etc are all cheaper here then even taking the cost of imported foods into account it's still way cheaper than back home for most of us.

I'm not here because it's cheap , but it is an added bonus.

schooling is most certainly not cheaper.

nor are automobiles and a western diet.

Just figuring that out now? Been this way for at least the past 4 years & it's going up price while the quality continues to drop. Also the lies from either Thai or Foreigner businesses are only increasing with broader smiles. Think the why more people want to jump ship.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think you'll find that the expat numbers are still rising.

Actually, still in 4 years, only met 1 Expat, but met many who already fled to Vietnam, few to Laos & less to Cambodia. I haven't broken away & denounced my citizenship yet so not an Expat; & considering all the people I've met here either work via international companies or collect pensions from their own countries, also are not, so where exactly are you getting your information?

Maybe the mixed Tourist numbers with the short-term 3-8 month backpackers, seeking investors, sex fiends or world travelers are growing; or even the worker base as more foreign companies are bringing over foreign workers...but that is money, not Expats. Boggles the mind that there are so many browsing members on this form who don't even live here & lessor of education that they don't even know the definition of an expat. Worst are Europeans with over-judgement based on just walking around. Will have to go further into Europe one day if I can stomach it & make my own survey...just have to convince one of my black friends to play the part of my girlfriend.

Where do you get your info have met at least one person a week for the last six months moving to Chiang Mai. Cambodia is way over sold.

Expensive or not, I don't take that into consideration,and maybe

other people do too,I live here because I like living here,I don't

exactly know what it is about Chiang Mai,it just feels comfortable ,

like an old pair of shoes,nothings really a hassle here,some may

say getting your extension every year may fall in to that category

bit with a little planning,couple hours one day every year.

Yes prices are going up,nearly every week,I don't know what the

cost of living is like back home,have not been back for 20 odd years,

and don't want to,it would have my head spinning,too many changes.

maybe the biggest change here is the availability of goods you need,

before if you needed anything just a little different ,it had to be sent

from Bangkok,or you had to go to Bangkok or even Singapore to find

it.

So if you find Chiang Mai is boring,getting too expensive,too much smoke

just bugger off somewhere else,its that simple.

regards Worgeordie

Despite my dislike of the pollution, can always look to the mountains as a place of living...if your comfortable and freely call it home, then it is home regardless of what's said. Still love Chiang Mai & hope to return one day.

Add insurance, MOT, tax, service.

Honda Wave much cheaper, and more useful in heavy CM traffic.

It was just an example of how ridiculous used car prices are.

Getting home alive is also useful. wink.png

Well...

The rent sure is cheaper here than in New York State. That puts an extra 700 dollars back in my account.

Air fare is cheaper....I fly around for less than 30 USD.

Bus, Train, and Taxi's are waaaaaay cheaper that New York.

All you can eat buffets here where I live in Udon are 180 baht.... a fraction of what it would cost back home.

Cable and Internet are abou 70 percent cheaper...as well as my electricity.

That more than makes up for the expensive girls here.

Just figuring that out now? Been this way for at least the past 4 years & it's going up price while the quality continues to drop. Also the lies from either Thai or Foreigner businesses are only increasing with broader smiles. Think the why more people want to jump ship.

I was told by immigration at Chiang Mai. There are 30,000 expats here on retirement visas

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I was told by immigration at Chiang Mai. There are 30,000 expats here on retirement visas

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Surely that's an exaggeration, how could they process 30,000 annual extensions in 365 days, less weekends and public holidays coffee1.gif

I think Thailand is still very cheap yes some things are rising in price but at current they are still cheaper than many many countries I rent my one bed appartment out in Australia for $275.00 per week I rent a similar one here for $98.00 per week I pay $18.00 for haircut in OZ here $4.00 these are small examples and yes some things are cheaper but to say it's not cheap ....WRONG

PS: to say the girls are expensive is a cheap nasty shoot, Would suggest if you had any class or style you would never have to pay for girls..

• Like 1

PS: to say the girls are expensive is a cheap nasty shoot, Would suggest if you had any class or style you would never have to pay for girls..

That's a very strict definition of class. In my book that's: "...would suggest if you had any class or style you would never mention pricing for anything and especially not entertainment / companionship."

(And besides it's reliably 5 times the price of a men's haircut the world over.)

Other than imported food and drinks I'm struggling to think what else is more expensive here. If you consider that the major expenses of a house (rented or bought or built), a vehicle , clothing, healthcare, schooling, energy, transportation, etc are all cheaper here then even taking the cost of imported foods into account it's still way cheaper than back home for most of us.

It all depends on what country or place you come from. I'm from Sweden that most people would consider as a very expensive country to stay in. Even then 50% of the things you list is cheaper for me in Sweden than here in Thailand. Schooling and healthcare are a lot cheaper in Sweden. An apartment with the same standard as mine in Sweden cost more in Thailand. A car is more expensive in Thailand.

I maintain a studio apartment in the SF Bay Area as I spend a few months every year working there. The rent alone is more than I spend every month here for a family of four. On the other hand I have a car lease there for $150 a month and the total cost per mile including insurance, gas and maintenance is still less than I spend on my car here. I think the URL posted earlier even agreed this was the case with personal transportation.

The thing is you can live really cheaply in the US if you are not particular about where you live. When I visit my folks in the midwest it never ceases to amaze me how much cheaper things are there compared to San Francisco. Vehicle costs are about the same but buying or renting a house is almost an order of magnitude less. Groceries are cheaper and even my mom has figured out that when things are cheaper online to not buy them locally. Being able to buy things online is a real price leveler.

People keep mentioning that prices are going up here when making comparisons. Well, don't let that fool you. My guess is that prices are going up just as much in the US and I assume that applies to EU as well.

Grin

Edited by grin
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It all depends on what country or place you come from. I'm from Sweden that most people would consider as a very expensive country to stay in. Even then 50% of the things you list is cheaper for me in Sweden than here in Thailand. Schooling and healthcare are a lot cheaper in Sweden. An apartment with the same standard as mine in Sweden cost more in Thailand. A car is more expensive in Thailand.

Lars, aren't schooling and healthcare "a lot cheaper in Sweden" due to the exorbitant tax rate you pay there? So are those goods really "cheaper" or are you just paying for it indirectly by paying your Government to subsidize those items for you?

Fortunately, not everyone is here for cheap sex and a cheap life. Is it fair to assume you are?

No, but 98% of us are, or at least originally came here for that. Anyone who says otherwise is either straight face lying, in denial, or unable to get it up any longer, which by the sounds of it, would account for many fuddy-duddies on TV.

• Like 2

Fortunately, not everyone is here for cheap sex and a cheap life. Is it fair to assume you are?

No, but 98% of us are, or at least originally came here for that. Anyone who says otherwise is either straight face lying, in denial, or unable to get it up any longer, which by the sounds of it, would account for many fuddy-duddies on TV.

I didn't originally come here for the girls but I did come back here for one. On the other hand if I would have known everything I know now I probably would have came here earlier than I did. (and done things differently)

19 years old and it's got 89,000 on the clock??? Aye right...

Absolutely, you're obviously not British.

My last car before moving to Thailand was a VW Golf GTi Mark 2. I bought it at 2 years old with 4,000 miles on the clock and I didn't need anything, apart from annual service during the time I owned it. As I said, used car prices here are absolutely ridiculous!! They can have 3 owners but about 30 different drivers!!

How about some small cars then?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-KA-2-1-3-ONE-LADY-OWNER-27000-MILES-/331166670729......50,000 baht

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Opel-Tigra-1-4i-Chequers-Ltd-Edn-3DR-one-lady-owner-VERY-LOW-MILEAGE-/191113010119?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c7f391bc7........40,000 baht

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Almera-Elegance-5dr-Low-mileage-one-owner-PETROL-AUTOMATIC-2001-Y-/221403493750?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item338cad3576.......100.000 baht

Our local grocery chain in Arizona had oranges for 7 thb per kilogram last year. Choice, Sirloin steak was 200 thb per kilo. Cheese all over the place for 200 per kg. Food prices are very regional in the US. Agriculture is a 45,000,000,000 usd annual business in just California.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lars, aren't schooling and healthcare "a lot cheaper in Sweden" due to the exorbitant tax rate you pay there? So are those goods really "cheaper" or are you just paying for it indirectly by paying your Government to subsidize those items for you?

That was my thinking also. I was also wondering what kind of schooling he was referring to. Elementary or collage. The cheaper car is not a surprise but what about the upkeep. Also the housing may be cheaper but the heating here in Thailand is a lot cheaper.

As for the schooling I would be willing to bet it is a lot better in Sweden. Interesting that Sweden was brought up At my class reunion We had one classmate living there the rest were all living in the states. Just the two of us had moved out of the country.