Looking for opinions on the name for a new bar on the Darkside

Mobi

Premier League is almost finished for this season. Starts again late August. So CTH will be pretty useless during that spell.

On tone name change, isn't there a hefty fee to be paid when changing a bar name?

Anyway, wish you well in your efforts. Look forward to coming in as I live quite near

I believe you are correct. The licenses would be under the current bar name. You might have to get a complete set of new licenses.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Premier League is almost finished for this season. Starts again late August. So CTH will be pretty useless during that spell.

On tone name change, isn't there a hefty fee to be paid when changing a bar name?

Anyway, wish you well in your efforts. Look forward to coming in as I live quite near

I believe you are correct. The licenses would be under the current bar name. You might have to get a complete set of new licenses.

That's all been checked out. We are starting everything anew, with a new name, clean new licences, new 3 year lease, new management, new staff and... hopefully.. a few new customers.

Robroona, on 07 Apr 2014 - 16:38, said:

snapback.png

On tone name change,

Yes, But I will have the Grand Prix's which are on most weekends throughout the summer. I'm not sure about other stuff, like golf. rugby and cricket. I will have to check it out. I may be able to use my current TV set up to show Live Rugby and and maybe also the world Cup football.

The World Cup looks like the usual 'buggers muddle' with RS (who hold the rights) fighting with the government broadcasting officials (NBTC) on what matches can be seen free to air on Thai TV. And what about the English sound tracks? Who knows?

In any case Brazil is 10 hours behind Thai time, so a 3 pm kick-off will be 1.00 am in Thailand and a 7 p.m kick-off will be 5 .a.m. local time, so maybe I don't have to worry about it....

Edited by Mobi

Things with the bar are progressing well, and all being well, I hope to have a 'soft opening' on or around the 1st May.

Excellent! I will be back from Longyearbyen by then.

look forward to meeting up again.

Do you remember that stainless steel coffee pot you got for me? I've still got it - minus the handle - but its still serviceable after all these years.

my friend Clifford used to have a small bar in patong, best name I've seen, the " up 2 u bar"

after all, ask any thai girl where they want to go, they say" up to you"

On the same basis, why not call it "Mai Roo Si" because when you ask a Thai gIrl where she wanna go, she normally will say "Mai Roo Si" ;)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Things with the bar are progressing well, and all being well, I hope to have a 'soft opening' on or around the 1st May.

Excellent! I will be back from Longyearbyen by then.

look forward to meeting up again.

Do you remember that stainless steel coffee pot you got for me? I've still got it - minus the handle - but its still serviceable after all these years.

Strewth! You must be a hard bugger on the coffee. Mine has been around the world about a dozen times and is still in one piece.

Let me know if you ever need another one... or if I need to practice my ss welding skills!

Let me know if you are into grinding your own from beans as I will be in a country that has some nice selections before I get back.

Edited by NanLaew

Another word of thanks to all those who have joined in the ‘Search for a Bar Name’

I have considered them all, and as you might expect, my final decision is somewhat predictable.

Before I tell you what that is, I would just like to make a few honourable mentions.

In the humorous category I liked “Mobi’s Dick”, (not sure my GF would though), “Mobi Ducks”, “Hello D'Arkling.", and “The Black Hole” (singular or plural) and “D’Ark Angels”.

As well as the above, I really like “Duck Inn”.

“The Office” and variations thereon (“Other Office”, “Second Office”etc) have been well used, but I still quite like them.

I also like the ‘Darkside’ but it has already been well used, and right now there is a Darkside 1 and 2 (same owner), as well as a few other variations scattered around.

But in the end I have concluded that I should stick with a variation of ‘Mobi’.

I already have my blog, (mobithailand), my twitter account, @mobithailand, my books (all by Mobi D’Ark), my Facebook account, (Mobi Dark), my eBay account (mobithailand), my payPal account (Mobi’s Thai handicrafts), and also I have a rental covered pick-up driving around Pattaya with the name Mobi plastered on the back, to say nothing of my user name on Thai Visa…

So it seems a ‘no-brainer’ not to use the Mobi name, which I can promote in all my various media outlets.

I confess I was veering towards “The Mobi D’Ark” as it seemed to have a nice ring to it, but you guys have persuaded me to keep it simple.

So I have settled on ‘Mobi’s Bar’ with large “Mobi’s" lettering and ‘bar’ with smaller lettering in the right hand corner of the sign. Farangs will probably just call it “Mobi’s” and Thais will call it “Mobi-Bar”.

So thanks once again for all the suggestions – I really appreciate it.

I hope to close the deal today, and if all goes well I will advise the location very soon.

• Like 1

So I have settled on ‘Mobi’s Bar’ with large “Mobi’s" lettering and ‘bar’ with smaller lettering in the right hand corner of the sign. Farangs will probably just call it “Mobi’s” and Thais will call it “Mobi-Bar”.

As I mentioned earlier, all the hostelries around the lake removed the word "bar" from their signage, replacing it with "food and drink". I understand this was a decree from Pong Municipality. You might want to check this before getting your signs done.

As I mentioned earlier, all the hostelries around the lake removed the word "bar" from their signage, replacing it with "food and drink". I understand this was a decree from Pong Municipality. You might want to check this before getting your signs done.

Thank you for that. If you mentioned it before, I apologise, as I didn't spot it.

The bar is actually in Nongprue municipality, not Pong, so maybe it's OK. I'll take a quick drive around later and see if the bars in Nongprue have removed the word 'bar'. (Nongprue includes, Nern Plub Wan, SSCC road, Soi Kow Noi etc).

Anyone happen to know if there are any signs around there with the word 'bar' on them?

Thank you for that. If you mentioned it before, I apologise, as I didn't spot it.

The bar is actually in Nongprue municipality, not Pong, so maybe it's OK. I'll take a quick drive around later and see if the bars in Nongprue have removed the word 'bar'. (Nongprue includes, Nern Plub Wan, SSCC road, Soi Kow Noi etc).

Anyone happen to know if there are any signs around there with the word 'bar' on them?

There are definitely plenty of "bars" still out there and the further from Mabprachan you get the more prolific they are. I do know one owner in NPW who was told he had to get "food and drink" displayed, but seems more a Pong thing than Nongprue (I'm guessing one of the Pong high-up's owns a sign making business).

Well there is the Lucky Bar and the Ice Bar. Number One Bar also ?

Well there is the Lucky Bar and the Ice Bar. Number One Bar also ?

Yeah, there seems to be loads. Maybe it's just a Pong thing.

Anyway, it got me thinking and I've decided to cut the word 'bar' out of the name. So now it's just 'Mobi's'

I think it is better, for some strange reason....

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 1

I’m still a few weeks way from opening and I just banned my first customer! So my customer list now stands at minus 1!

I know… this doesn’t auger well, but trust me, this guy HAD to be banned, and I’m not the first person to do so. He causes mayhem everywhere he drinks, and puts off others from drinking at wherever he happens to be. Read the full story of how this came about in this week’s blog.

Well, I closed the deal yesterday, so I am now at liberty to reveal that the bar I have taken over is Nana Bar, which is the corner bar in a small strip that also has ‘Darkside 2’ and 'Number One Bar'. It is a couple of minutes’ walk from 'Rendezvous Resort', going around the Lake towards the Siam Country Club golf course /7-11 junction.

It is actually one of the oldest bars on the Lake and was originally known as ‘The Terrace’ bar, but in those days it also included the area now occupied by 'Darkside 2'.

Who knows? One day it may return to its former glory….

Even so, the bar is quite a decent size and has bar and 'high table' seating for about 30 people, (I should be so lucky..).

The pool table is in good nick and I have now purchased the missing ball.

The new sign will be appearing soon, but as the lease doesn't commence until the 1st May, we cannot start getting all the licences together until after this date, so it will probably not open until 2nd or 3rd May, and even then we will be in ‘training mode’ for a week or so.

I will definitely be showing Premier League football. the Grand Prix and whatever other sports are covered by CTH

Look for the ad on Thai Visa, starting in early May, about the opening party and other info.

• Like 1

Im still a few weeks way from opening and I just banned my first customer! So my customer list now stands at minus 1!

I know this doesnt auger well, but trust me, this guy HAD to be banned, and Im not the first person to do so. He causes mayhem everywhere he drinks, and puts off others from drinking at wherever he happens to be. Read the full story of how this came about in this weeks blog.

Well, I closed the deal yesterday, so I am now at liberty to reveal that the bar I have taken over is Nana Bar, which is the corner bar in a small strip that also has Darkside 2 and 'Number One Bar'. It is a couple of minutes walk from 'Rendezvous Resort', going around the Lake towards the Siam Country Club golf course /7-11 junction.

It is actually one of the oldest bars on the Lake and was originally known as The Terrace bar, but in those days it also included the area now occupied by 'Darkside 2'.

Who knows? One day it may return to its former glory.

Even so, the bar is quite a decent size and has bar and 'high table' seating for about 30 people, (I should be so lucky..).

The new sign will be appearing soon, but as the lease doesn't commence until the 1st May, we cannot start getting all the licences together until after this date, so it will probably not open until 2nd or 3rd May, and even then we will be in training mode for a week or so.

I will definitely be showing Premier League football. the Grand Prix and whatever other sports are covered by CTH

Look for the ad on Thai Visa, starting in early May, about the opening party and other info.

Never heard of it.

I’m still a few weeks way from opening and I just banned my first customer! So my customer list now stands at minus 1!

I know… this doesn’t auger well, but trust me, this guy HAD to be banned, and I’m not the first person to do so. He causes mayhem everywhere he drinks, and puts off others from drinking at wherever he happens to be. Read the full story of how this came about in this week’s blog.

I cannot find this item on your blog. Direct link? You can PM it to me if you're not allowed to publish a link. Thanks.

Im still a few weeks way from opening and I just banned my first customer! So my customer list now stands at minus 1!

I know this doesnt auger well, but trust me, this guy HAD to be banned, and Im not the first person to do so. He causes mayhem everywhere he drinks, and puts off others from drinking at wherever he happens to be. Read the full story of how this came about in this weeks blog.

I cannot find this item on your blog. Direct link? You can PM it to me if you're not allowed to publish a link. Thanks.

Sincere apologies - I should have said next week's blog, which is due to be published this coming Sunday. And yes, you are correct, direct links are not allowed.

Well, I closed the deal yesterday, so I am now at liberty to reveal that the bar I have taken over is Nana Bar, which is the corner bar in a small strip that also has Darkside 2 and 'Number One Bar'. It is a couple of minutes walk from 'Rendezvous Resort', going around the Lake towards the Siam Country Club golf course /7-11 junction.

It is actually one of the oldest bars on the Lake and was originally known as The Terrace bar, but in those days it also included the area now occupied by 'Darkside 2'.

The new sign will be appearing soon, but as the lease doesn't commence until the 1st May, we cannot start getting all the licences together until after this date, so it will probably not open until 2nd or 3rd May, and even then we will be in training mode for a week or so.

Never heard of it.

Dumb comment Which proves you should get out more instead of being welded to Thai Visa. Well known bar around the Lake.

Never heard of it.
Dumb comment Which proves you should get out more instead of being welded to Thai Visa. Well known bar around the Lake.

I'd say it shows I'm not an alcoholic who knows the names and locations of every little bar and beer-bar on the Darkside. I did happen to spot it yesterday, however, way way out there near the old Scott's. There are lots of rinky-dink little bars scattered all around the Darkside and I doubt the area needs another one but if the op wants to try his hand at being a publican good luck to him.

As I said earlier, unless there are cute ladyboy dek serves who go off, I don't have any use for this, or any other, bar.

Never heard of it.
I'd say it shows I'm not an alcoholic who knows the names and locations of every little bar and beer-bar on the Darkside. I did happen to spot it yesterday, however, way way out there near the old Scott's. There are lots of rinky-dink little bars scattered all around the Darkside and I doubt the area needs another one but if the op wants to try his hand at being a publican good luck to him.

As I said earlier, unless there are cute ladyboy dek serves who go off, I don't have any use for this, or any other, bar.

maybe if it was called kathoeys R us then you'd be right in there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

my friend Clifford used to have a small bar in patong, best name I've seen, the " up 2 u bar"

after all, ask any thai girl where they want to go, they say" up to you"

What about a shortened version "Up U Bar"

• Like 1

That was the first bar I had a drink at when moving to Pattaya some eight years ago. When did you say is the grand opening?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

There will be a 'soft' opening on or around 1st May, but we probably won't have the grand opening party until a couple of weeks later - when I'm happy that everything is running smoothly.

Of course you're welcome at any time.