Wording of Bank Letter for Retirement Visa Extension

In preparation for submitting an application for Retirement Visa Extension I visited the Siam Commercial Bank yesterday.

No problems they checked the account and printed out a statement which shows enough monies in the account and produced a simple letter about me holding the account - so far all ok.

Visited Immigration this morning all good except he (the immigration officer) said come back on No 23 (thats ok) but make sure you have covering letter from your bank.

I can only assume he meant a letter with the correct wording (note he was quite helpful) - so my question is does anyone have an example of what the covering letter needs to say.

The letter just basically says you have account number so and so with X-amount in it on the date of the letter.

Did you actually apply for an extension today or was asking immigration just to look over your paperwork? Or maybe you applied too early, like more than 30 days before you current extension ends? A few more details are needed on your specific situation.

Did they keep your paperwork and have you pay 1900 baht?

If not he was telling telling you come back with everything again along with a new bank letter because the one you got yesterday will be to old.

How long is the bank letter valid for?

If you want to go to immigration on a Monday morning will a previous Friday bank letter be OK?

Ir really depends upon which immigration office you go to. A couple of days before you apply should be acceptable at most offices.

Most will accept one from Friday on Monday morning.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just surmising but maybe the officer was indicating that your application was being made early. He also indicated that a new, fresh , bank letter would be required on the the 23rd

The letter just basically says you have account number so and so with X-amount in it on the date of the letter.

Did you actually apply for an extension today or was asking immigration just to look over your paperwork? Or maybe you applied too early, like more than 30 days before you current extension ends? A few more details are needed on your specific situation.

No money taken and I was very clear it was a pre visit as I have not used the 800K route to date - so yes he may well have been saying when you come next time "you will need another letter"

Thanks all will see how it goes when I visit next time.

Did they keep your paperwork and have you pay 1900 baht?
If not he was telling telling you come back with everything again along with a new bank letter because the one you got yesterday will be to old.

Edited by ubonjoe
deleted coding error

I had a similar problem the immigration told me to go back a week later , the following week armed with the same documents I went back reminded the officer that he told me to corm back a week later of which I have done and even though all my documentation was out of date by a week he stamped it and I was on my way within 10 minutes . I was doing my annual visa extension or retirement visa as some like to call it. You are allowed to renew your visa extension one Callander month prior to it running out which I was doing I have to put it down to the discretion of the officer who is doing the extension on the day, they do have us over a barrel if they are not in a good mood !

• Like 1

On a somewhat related issue, a few years ago Chiangmai Immigration almost wouldn't use my bank (also SCB) letter because, as the immigration dude claimed, it wasn't stamped properly (it was only signed by the bank person and had no fancy stamps or seals). The next year, I obtained a new letter and, when I saw that they just signed it, I told them the story and they got a couple of goofy stamps (one round and one rectangular, both simply having the SCB brand on it) and stamped the letter a couple of times. Immigration really liked that letter and I've been making sure since then that I get at least a couple of fancy stamps on the bank letter. Pretty funny but I'll do whatever makes them happy.

SCB has a form letter which they give you. states Name, Account and curiously a phrase 'balance of xx digits', doesnt state your actually account balance, for that they use use passbook. As for validity, my local immigration office in Khon Kaen says, 2 or 3 days it's Ok

The letter from the bank must be dated on the day you make application. All the banks are aware of the wording for the letter. It is a little bewildering at first but as you make your annual applications and return every three months to prove your residency things will make more sense and the immigration officials may get to know you if it is a small regional office such as in Mukdahan.

The letter from the bank must be dated on the day you make application. All the banks are aware of the wording for the letter. It is a little bewildering at first but as you make your annual applications and return every three months to prove your residency things will make more sense and the immigration officials may get to know you if it is a small regional office such as in Mukdahan.

The letter does not have to be dated for the same day at most immigration offices. A day or 2 early is accepted at many offices. Others even longer.

My most recent attempt to renew extension on the basis of retirement, got knocked back because I didn't provide a rent receipt - fair enough (yeah really???).

Doing the combined money-in-bank + embassy statement of earnings, Immi officer (Prachuap province, DanSingKon) decided that I didn't have enough money 'coz she read the last line of income statement which was (annual income)/12 = monthly income. Asked for the original document, which I have, but how is an Immi official gonna understand an Australian Govt Taxation return notice?

So I am fawked this time round but some words of advice:

Immi officer said that bank letter is valid for one week;

Immi officer also said money must be in the bank 3 months (mine was three days short) even for combined earning method, which is in contradistinction to what this forum has suggested (ie. no seasoning period for combined income method).

Maybe Immi officer could have suggested 100baht donation to provident fund could rectify the situation, I dunno..

Yes well no need to hang out the dirty laundry... So much easier stay in Cambodgiana pay $300/year and skip over the border when you need a blast of 7/11 or yellow/red shirt conflict. AA

This is a very interesting thread.

On my 1st renewal of retirement visa the officer advised me that the bank letter must be issued the same day as the renewal application, this wasn't the case on my original application to that. I explained that I wasn't aware of this and understood that it could be issued within a fortnight to be valid. They were very clear in their instruction and agreed to accept it this time but for future renewals it must be dated on the application day.

After completing the application and obtaining the visa I explained that the Bank didn't have the facility to provide it on the same day as a request to the bank for such a letter required a lead time of 1 week. Their response was simply to change banks! I never felt that it was a contest of wills or face saving but had to accept the final ultimatum. In fact the rules state that it can be obtained within a specific period but as others have mentioned different offices/officers can call the tune.

The obvious thought subsequently was to get a forward dated letter but the problem there is that the statement issued can't be forward dated as it is a computer generated report and a statement of 3 months can only be issued from the main bank center. I feel stymied and would appreciate any advice on this.

Edited by mayview

It can be frustrating at some immigration offices. I will say the Bangkok Bank branch in the same building as my immigration office at Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok immigration takes about 5 minutes and charges 100 Baht to issue the letter. I always get the letter the same day I apply for my extension of stay since it's so easy and fast to get.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

I am glad I read this thread because I read (recently on TV) you could apply for extension 45 days before expiry but it seems that Immigragtion is sticking to 30 days now.

Some immigration offices do allow 45 days.. But most are still using the 30 day rule.

This is a very interesting thread.

On my 1st renewal of retirement visa the officer advised me that the bank letter must be issued the same day as the renewal application, this wasn't the case on my original application to that. I explained that I wasn't aware of this and understood that it could be issued within a fortnight to be valid. They were very clear in their instruction and agreed to accept it this time but for future renewals it must be dated on the application day.

After completing the application and obtaining the visa I explained that the Bank didn't have the facility to provide it on the same day as a request to the bank for such a letter required a lead time of 1 week. Their response was simply to change banks! I never felt that it was a contest of wills or face saving but had to accept the final ultimatum. In fact the rules state that it can be obtained within a specific period but as others have mentioned different offices/officers can call the tune.

The obvious thought subsequently was to get a forward dated letter but the problem there is that the statement issued can't be forward dated as it is a computer generated report and a statement of 3 months can only be issued from the main bank center. I feel stymied and would appreciate any advice on this.

OK, this is not that difficult.

I'm not sure why you mention a computer printout, as what is being discussed here is a simple letter of a few lines that says, in Thai, you have x amount in your account on the day that the letter is dated. This is all.

The proof that you have had 800,000B (or whatever the sum) in the account for 60 days or 90 days (whatever you require for your specific case) is provided by the copy of your bank passbook showing the status of your account for that period.

Order your bank letter a week in advance. Make sure you have enough money for that week so that you don't have to withdraw any. Collect the letter on the day that you go to immigration. On that day deposit 100B into your account, bringing your account amount up to 100B more that is mentioned in the letter. Immediately withdraw it, and update your passbook using the automated machine. Copy this final page and place with the pages listing the last 90 days of your account.

You can then walk into immigration with

1. a letter dated that day listing amount x in your account.

2. copies of your bank passbook pages covering the last 90 days, and ending with an update that same day showing a final sum identical to that mentioned in the letter.

I took his issue that the bank letter to would still be dated a week back the day he gets it. Now not sure.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I didn't think of that. It seems odd to give a week's notice you need a letter, and then get one dated a week before you pick it up, but as TIT, you may well be right.

If so, it's not so easy, but hopefully he is asking for the wrong thing - a computer printout of the last 90 days transactions- and if he just asks for the letter, they may need less time to prepare it.

The first time I did my extension a few years ago Kasikorn told me they would need two days to prepare my three line letter(!). The next time I planned for a two day wait, but they produced it instantly, and have done so ever since.

It's impossible to predict what will happen here...