Are egg prices coming down?

Thighlander

Is this .4 of a Baht per egg we are talking about?

Whilst your maths is spot on, what you are missing is the fact that people don't normally buy eggs individually. This is practically the equivalent of buy 10 eggs get 1 free!

You'd have to be addled not to appreciate that. I'm going to scramble to get there before this offer closes.

It's a pity the bars aren't making a similar offer on beer. They'd be mobbed.

How is his maths "Spot on"? When I was at school, 34 divided by 10 was 3.4 not 0.4! (and you have been here too long if you need a calculator to divide by 10 :D)

I am currently paying 97 baht for 30 (palette) for number 2 (prefer number 2 as the 1 and 0 sizes tend to have thin shells which break the yolk when cracking). This from my local Mom n Pop store who get straight from the farm. been up and down all year and last year too - worst was 107/30 that I remember, best 95/30. Two years ago was just before the floods it was 65/30 - never gone back down since the floods (when they were being sold to Bkk for a premium and were getting rare up here outside of supermarkets/7-11s).

I know you're a bright lad, but maybe you're having a hard day.

Eggs at 3 baht each compared to eggs at 3.4 baht each is a price difference of .4 baht, and that is what the topic is indeed about. I did it without a calculator too!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got my own chickens and the production always drops in the hot summer weather as well as the price of chicken food increasing. Sorry to say that the price will not drop for a few more months.

I don't raise my few chickens for profit, but for freshness as you can see how the 'pros' handle their eggs.............leaving them in the back of a pickup truck in 40+ degree weather cooks the eggs before they get to market.

I hear ya JaideeGuy

I swore I'd never again buy the 3-tray pack of eggs from Makro; but sure enough we did. After a few months interlude had forgotten that they were usually all watery, and when cracked into the skillet went all blah. Happened again. I luv Makro, been using Makro for over two decades now, but they ought to get a grip on their egg suppliers_ so solly Makro but the truth can sometimes hurt.

I usually, like for umpteen years now, place my eggs in the refrigerator; and for the life of me cannot understand why egg crates are piled sky high in the hot temperatures of Thailand. I know their source is equally warm, but...!

So checked the internet and lo and behold I am ...... wrong!

Nonetheless, I and family continue to place them in the cool environment of a fridge - and they do get crackin' just like they're supposed to.

I had sworn I'd never buy eggs again unless at a particular village market, or from CP: both have proven 100% reliable over the years. It's worth the extra drive or wait to do so.

Oh, nearly forgot, there's a lady selling 'fresh' eggs out of a corner shop house on Suthep Rd on the S side as one proceeds past the hospital. Sorry can't be more pacific, but an eagle-eyed passenger should narrow it down. I can't recall the village market either, where they sell large, fresh, delicious eggs at reasonable prices - I need my son to drive us there, it's to the east of and near San Patong... so a Sunday drive is in order should he find the time.

Luckily I have in the fridge a part tray of CP "0" sized eggs awaiting.

Oh...and don't believe every thing you read on the internet.

WAIT ...let me check I have friend who is the head chook and the local chicken farm I will get an answer straight from the chooks bum.....NO the prices are going up....this has been a hard egg to crack but apparently they are tired of being cooped up all the time and want a better rate of lay...can you believe it...this is no yoking matter this is the real thing......they think the supply of eggs is being poached by another group of old hens shall we say...

Now my unknown friend if prices do fluctuate a baht or 2 what the hell....

Now shall we talk about the price of the OZY dollar hope that does not come down

• Like 1

I look at the article by the OP as one to strike up a conversation. Nothing really too serious really!

Granted, men don't normally talk about the price of egg. Like someone says who cares, for many including myself, don't consume more than two eggs a day anyway....Hey, hold on, I do care after I remember how my wife got pissed one time after she picked up a tray of egg at Tesco. Back at home looking at the bill, she was fuming how she was charged B150 when she picked the tray up underneath the price tag that read B125. I though she was going to get a heart attack!

Personally, I think shopping economically is a good habit to have irrespective how much money one has or the habit is dependent on exchange rate.

• Like 2

Are you comfy? I hope so because this answer may be more than 200 words and I know you have problems with that.

I'll come clean. I'll tell you why I visit this forum....... Because it fascinates me and amuses me. There are so many weird, angry , miserable, petty , boring , dysfunctional people here it amazes me. And before everyone gets offended, there are some interesting, intelligent and caring people here too. I think it's great what the likes of Nancy L is trying to do for the local expat community, and only wish that I could be as kind and generous. However, as much as I might admire people like her, it's the nutters that brings me here.

I have developed a theory that plenty of the angry posters are actually suffering from a mental disorder ...... Culture Shock. Their choice of words is often very telling, for example oz893 or whatever his number was, saying that people have 'fled' to Laos and Vietnam or wherever. Fled? He means 'left' of course but for someone that is finding it difficult to adjust, 'left' doesn't express their feelings, so it becomes 'fled'. Another example, is that when someone is overcharged by a small amount, it becomes 'rip off' or better still 'scam'. How can you be scammed or ripped off for 5 baht? People refer to the night bazaar as a 'tourist trap' . The same pattern, using words that suggest paranoia. The night bazaar is a place where people offer goods for sale at a price that they think will maximise profits, and that everyone is free to accept, bargain or walk away from. where is the trap? In peoples minds. I could go on, but do it yourself, look at some of the angry posts here and see how trivialities become grossly exaggerated with paranoid-like language.

So that's the sick ones. Then we have the people who are so bored or maybe boring that they post such inane stuff it beggars belief. As someone already pointed out, why are grown men discussing the price of eggs? Did they ever discuss things like this back home? I hope not.

Assuming that someone manages to eat 10 eggs a week, what difference does it make if they cost 30 baht or 26 baht? None whatsoever to anyone on this forum., including the Op and his supporters. 4 baht a week! Similarly, the price of vegetables. Who cares what they cost, they're cheap anyway, and the fact that they go up and down is no big surprise to anyone.

If you were sat in a pub and someone next to you started talking about the price of eggs what would you be thinking? "Lost his marbles poor soul" , "piss off mate, go and annoy someone else"? I can't say because , fortunately, it's never happened to me. But what I can say is this, it fascinates me. I'm thinking "why is this guy talking about a trivial price change, in an insignificantly cheap product? He would never do that back home, so why does he do it here?".

It's no different to the guys I mentioned in another post, who have loads of money but choose to drink Archa beer, even though they think it's horrible, because it's cheap. Those guys step off the plane back home, go to a pub and ask for a pint of 'best'. They step off the plane in Chiang Mai and ask 'how much is a big Leo?' . Did they ever ask how much is a beer in a pub back home? no, never. So the difference in their behaviour here fascinates me. It doesn't bother me in the least but I am interested to figure out, Why the change?

That's how I explain to people why I read ThaiVisa. As we all know , most people loathe it. Sure, you can get some useful answers to your questions, but the nutters! Who are they, where did they come from, what's wrong with them? Sorry guys, you fascinate me and very often amuse me.

Eggs are a basic ingredient of many foods, the price of eggs reflects the price of everything else.

There has been a 30% variation in egg prices over the last year in Thailand.

Egg prices are a useful indicator for inflation in any country.

As for the suggestion that grocery prices are not relevant to men, absolute chauvinism at its worst.

In the society I come from (UK) men and women are supposed to be equal in all things.

I resent your suggestion that the price of any item (female hygiene products excluded) is not important to men.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

In the alley of the market behind the Tesco Express on the SE corner of the Suthep/Canal Rd. intersection. Alley off Suthep, just east of Tesco. It seems to be a fairly high volume operation. I hadn't seen them below 30 in a while, I was curious. Excellent quality, and I prefer the not so big ones, too.

You speak of smalls as 'bigger'. Im confused.

Are you comfy? I hope so because this answer may be more than 200 words and I know you have problems with that.

I'll come clean. I'll tell you why I visit this forum....... Because it fascinates me and amuses me. There are so many weird, angry , miserable, petty , boring , dysfunctional people here it amazes me. And before everyone gets offended, there are some interesting, intelligent and caring people here too. I think it's great what the likes of Nancy L is trying to do for the local expat community, and only wish that I could be as kind and generous. However, as much as I might admire people like her, it's the nutters that brings me here.

I have developed a theory that plenty of the angry posters are actually suffering from a mental disorder ...... Culture Shock. Their choice of words is often very telling, for example oz893 or whatever his number was, saying that people have 'fled' to Laos and Vietnam or wherever. Fled? He means 'left' of course but for someone that is finding it difficult to adjust, 'left' doesn't express their feelings, so it becomes 'fled'. Another example, is that when someone is overcharged by a small amount, it becomes 'rip off' or better still 'scam'. How can you be scammed or ripped off for 5 baht? People refer to the night bazaar as a 'tourist trap' . The same pattern, using words that suggest paranoia. The night bazaar is a place where people offer goods for sale at a price that they think will maximise profits, and that everyone is free to accept, bargain or walk away from. where is the trap? In peoples minds. I could go on, but do it yourself, look at some of the angry posts here and see how trivialities become grossly exaggerated with paranoid-like language.

So that's the sick ones. Then we have the people who are so bored or maybe boring that they post such inane stuff it beggars belief. As someone already pointed out, why are grown men discussing the price of eggs? Did they ever discuss things like this back home? I hope not.

Assuming that someone manages to eat 10 eggs a week, what difference does it make if they cost 30 baht or 26 baht? None whatsoever to anyone on this forum., including the Op and his supporters. 4 baht a week! Similarly, the price of vegetables. Who cares what they cost, they're cheap anyway, and the fact that they go up and down is no big surprise to anyone.

If you were sat in a pub and someone next to you started talking about the price of eggs what would you be thinking? "Lost his marbles poor soul" , "piss off mate, go and annoy someone else"? I can't say because , fortunately, it's never happened to me. But what I can say is this, it fascinates me. I'm thinking "why is this guy talking about a trivial price change, in an insignificantly cheap product? He would never do that back home, so why does he do it here?".

It's no different to the guys I mentioned in another post, who have loads of money but choose to drink Archa beer, even though they think it's horrible, because it's cheap. Those guys step off the plane back home, go to a pub and ask for a pint of 'best'. They step off the plane in Chiang Mai and ask 'how much is a big Leo?' . Did they ever ask how much is a beer in a pub back home? no, never. So the difference in their behaviour here fascinates me. It doesn't bother me in the least but I am interested to figure out, Why the change?

That's how I explain to people why I read ThaiVisa. As we all know , most people loathe it. Sure, you can get some useful answers to your questions, but the nutters! Who are they, where did they come from, what's wrong with them? Sorry guys, you fascinate me and very often amuse me.

Eggs are a basic ingredient of many foods, the price of eggs reflects the price of everything else.

As for the suggestion that grocery prices are not relevant to men, absolute chauvinism at its worst.

In the society I come from (UK) men and women are supposed to be equal in all things.

I resent your suggestion that the price of any item (female hygiene products excluded) is not important to men.

chie.... Very good post. It often scares me that anyone on TV would talk about the subjects that come up on it. Just plain bored folks.

• Like 1

In the alley of the market behind the Tesco Express on the SE corner of the Suthep/Canal Rd. intersection. Alley off Suthep, just east of Tesco. It seems to be a fairly high volume operation. I hadn't seen them below 30 in a while, I was curious. Excellent quality, and I prefer the not so big ones, too.

You speak of smalls as 'bigger'. Im confused.

There were three sizes on that day...25, 26, and 30 for 10. So, if I didn't state small, but did state "no so big," which size do you think I purchased?

BTW, eggs are number 8 on Web MD's top 10 proteins list....so the post was more about food price trends and/or inflationary trends, or hopefully deflation for a lot of us, as opposed to it being all about me saving 4 thb.

Some things here there is NO answer for.... just got back from Big C......... Minced Pork is 148 baht per KG. big Pork chunks are on Promotion @ 118 baht KG, asked if they would Mince she said yes is FREE..

So picked out the pieces with no fat, she minced the 4 KG and charged 118 baht per KG.. that is a saving of 120 baht and looks a lots better and far less fat then the expensive already minced meat..

• Like 2

Some things here there is NO answer for.... just got back from Big C......... Minced Pork is 148 baht per KG. big Pork chunks are on Promotion @ 118 baht KG, asked if they would Mince she said yes is FREE..

So picked out the pieces with no fat, she minced the 4 KG and charged 118 baht per KG.. that is a saving of 120 baht and looks a lots better and far less fat then the expensive already minced meat..

Now that is something you see in the US. Sirloin steaks for 3.59 per pound....lean ground beef 4.59 per pound.....will you throw these in the hopper? Sure....

For years pork producers in the USA did their best to lower the fat content of pork and change the public's perception of it. They even had a long running campaign branding pork as "The other white meat." And their campaign was effective way beyond their expectations: pork sales plummeted. And that's because when you reduce the fat in pork, you also reduce the flavor. Unless I had some special use for extra lean pork, I would never buy a piece with no visible fat.

• Like 1

Actually, the facts you've cited show that eggs prices are a really bad indication of inflation precisely because they fluctuate so wildly. This is pretty much the case for food in general and fresh food in particular. You've got to look at the long term in food prices to get an accurate approximation of underlying inflation

Well done ignis. This is a trick my Mrs has been using for the last two or three years since she learned it. Big savings to be made. However; Tesco won't do it, at least not for us, so we only shop at Big C and Makro these days.

chie.... Very good post. It often scares me that anyone on TV would talk about the subjects that come up on it. Just plain bored folks.

It's a shame some of the posters on here don't appreciate the historical significance of this thread. What is going on is exactly the same discussion the ancient Greeks had thousands of years ago. The great minds of the time invented democracy, philosophy and whatnot but they also debated the price of eggs. It was called "eggonomics" in Greek, which as most people will know is the root and origin of the modern word "economics". QE, puts, stags bulls and bears all can be traced back to the price of eggs in ancient greece.

This is important. As it is when cooking oil can be found at 32B a litre, my wife buys 10 bottles, saving 20B. A few weeks ago I found 30 eggs in the fridge, 100B then for 30 apparently. When they got to nearly 5B an egg, she nearly bought a couple of chickens for the yard.

Do you really buy 10 liter cooking oil just to save 60 cent ???

This is important. As it is when cooking oil can be found at 32B a litre, my wife buys 10 bottles, saving 20B. A few weeks ago I found 30 eggs in the fridge, 100B then for 30 apparently. When they got to nearly 5B an egg, she nearly bought a couple of chickens for the yard.

You must be new here......

• Like 1

Yes I'm still not sure if these posts about saving a few satang on oil and eggs are real? Or it's just some kind of joke?

It's a shame some of the posters on here don't appreciate the historical significance of this thread. What is going on is exactly the same discussion the ancient Greeks had thousands of years ago. The great minds of the time invented democracy, philosophy and whatnot but they also debated the price of eggs. It was called "eggonomics" in Greek, which as most people will know is the root and origin of the modern word "economics". QE, puts, stags bulls and bears all can be traced back to the price of eggs in ancient greece.

I think they're still discussing it. How is the Greek economy these days?

Yes I'm still not sure if these posts about saving a few satang on oil and eggs are real? Or it's just some kind of joke?

Both.

5 baht for one egg in the village now

Probably something to do with Easter.

Chocolate Easter Eggs ?

Tray of 30 normal Farm eggs yesterday size '0' largest 105 baht

Edited by ignis

No joke if you shop wisely and know where to shop you are NOT saving a few satang, but 100's of baht

Guess if your a City person then you have no options of Fresh stuff [fruit and Veg picked same day]and at a fraction of City prices.

How many eggs do you have to eat before saving hundreds of baht ;) you saved 0,4 baht a egg according to this thread. And so what if you can save a couple of hundred baht every month. All that trouble going from shop to shop to save 6-7 dollars a month!!!

If only flushing the toilet once a week you save ten baht on the water also. It can be good to be economical. But after reaching a certain limit it's just stupid

How many eggs do you have to eat before saving hundreds of baht wink.png you saved 0,4 baht a egg according to this thread. And so what if you can save a couple of hundred baht every month. All that trouble going from shop to shop to save 6-7 dollars a month!!!

If only flushing the toilet once a week you save ten baht on the water also. It can be good to be economical. But after reaching a certain limit it's just stupid

Of course it make a difference where you live.......

For me the nearest Supermarket is a trip of 35 KM, many stalls on the way in Village Markets, outside Farms etc, to me is far fresher and by far a lot cheaper.

Yes I do shop at Makro every 3 months, that is a trip of 75 KM, but worth it as stock up spending 9 - 12,000 baht

Just eating for breakfast fresh soft juicy Mango, bought at a stall outside a farm 100 baht for 4 KG, guess in a week or 2 that will be 5 KG for 100 baht. 2 farms further along the road 2 large cauliflower cost 45 baht for the 2... that is just 2 items and already saved near 300 baht of supermarket prices

So buying from the farms or Village Markets sellers, have to pass them anyway you save 100's of baht.... some people have no option.. eg: 4 bananas 25 baht, or a full bunch of at least 30 for 20 baht.

• Like 1

Yes especially if its Yorkshire tea, 2 pint pots easily the rich can spend their money and not worry,but nothings guaranteed, one day they maybe looking to save a few bob and wont know how too! regards Worgeordie

By using 1 tea bag to make 2 cups of tea, I save 129bht a month.
By buying Pepsi in a mom and pop shop (12bht) and not a 7/11 (16bht), I save 4bht a day.

The savings soon mount up.