Changes to Visa on Arrival System Could Impact Myanmar Tourism

An abrupt change in the rules for prearranged visas-on-arrival for package tourists has caused consternation among travel experts in Myanmar, who say the decision will have a negative impact on the country’s tourism industry.

From The Myanmar Times, by Zaw Win Than

yangon-international-airport.jpg

Yangon International Airport is the country’s primary visitor gateway. Photo: MT

In early March the Ministry of Immigration and Population suddenly announced that prearranged visas-on-arrival (VOA) would be limited to package tours with 10 or fewer people, effective immediately.
Previously, there was no limit on group size.
U Maung Maung Than, the ministry’s director general, told The Myanmar Times last week that the change was made to meet standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
“We wanted to adhere to ICAO standards, so we asked travel associations and agents to follow the new limits,” he said.

Key point for those who have been confused about the terminology of "Visa On Arrival" as it relates to Myanmar:

The VOA system was reintroduced on June 1, 2012, but only for business travellers, conference and workshop attendees, and transit visitors. Prearranged tourist visas were also allowed for package tours, with no limit on the number of people in each group.

The sooner the e-visa service is up and running, the better. The web portal has been online since 2012, but has never been active. As of last month, the site was down again (http://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm/)

Sorry, my question is not specifically about this topic, but I am really needing to know the status of the land border crossings. Does it stand at the 30 days? .. or has it reverted back to 15. I will be traveling by train from Butterworth.

Thanks ...

Always nice to see that countries exist that are more messed up in visa/immigration policy making than Thailand.

Ya think?

Try ang vet a visa to visit the UK if you are Asian.

Sorry, my question is not specifically about this topic, but I am really needing to know the status of the land border crossings. Does it stand at the 30 days? .. or has it reverted back to 15. I will be traveling by train from Butterworth.

Thanks ...

Do you mean how many days you get when you re-enter Thailand?

This question would be better answered in the Thailand Visas section - and it depends on your nationality.

As for Myanmar - you can get a 1 month Tourist Visa in advance from a Myanmar Embassy in Malaysia.

A border entry into Myanmar (if you arrive without a pre-issued visa) will vary from place to place and doesn't allow overland travel to other parts of the country.

• 1 month later...