Phuket motorcyclist struck and killed picking up his bike after spill

webfact

Phuket motorcyclist struck and killed picking up his bike after spill
Phuket Gazette

1_201443104636554_YwFbEVrPDtIbBOOciCuBBx
Mr Atthaphon was trying to stand his motorbike upright when he was struck by the car. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A 19-year-old fell off his motorbike near Phuket International Airport early this morning and was hit by a car and killed while he was trying to right his bike.

Rescuers responded to the call just after midnight and found the body of Atthaphon Prasobsaeng on Route 4026, which joins Thepkrasattri Road to the road to the airport.

“The accident took place about 500 meters west of Thalang Technical College,” said Lt Thanom Thongpan of the Tah Chat Chai Police.

Teerapong Kongtab, 28, who was driving the car that hit Mr Attaphon, told police that he was on his way to the airport to drop off a friend.

“The road was curvy, and I didn’t see Mr Atthaphon until it was too late,” Mr Teerapong said.

“The last thing I saw was him on the road, trying to pick up his motorbike. I couldn’t stop in time. I hit him, then lost control and went off the road.”

Mr Atthaphon’s body was taken to Thalang Hospital to await collection by his relatives.

Mr Teerapong has been charged with reckless driving causing death.

— Thawit Bilabdullar

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-motorcyclist-struck-killed-picking-his-bike/29032#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-03

“The road was curvy, and I didn’t see Mr Atthaphon until it was too late,” Mr Teerapong said.

“The last thing I saw was him on the road, trying to pick up his motorbike. I couldn’t stop in time. I hit him, then lost control and went off the road.”

So, it's night, dark, curvy road, and couldn't stop in time. Sounds like someone was in a hurry to get to the airport.

• Like 2

No one questions what a 19 year old boy was doing on a dark, curvy road, near a tech college, in the middle of the night AND needing to be picking up his motorcycle in the first place? I say check the blood toxin levels. Might not have really been the car drivers fault entirely. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

The driver hung around and admitted hitting the victim.

The police have charged the driver.

We all know that we farangs are far superior drivers to the locals and we would never have had this accident.

What's left to debate?

No one questions what a 19 year old boy was doing on a dark, curvy road, near a tech college, in the middle of the night AND needing to be picking up his motorcycle in the first place? I say check the blood toxin levels. Might not have really been the car drivers fault entirely. coffee1.gif

Can't question the poor lad, he's dead!

Now is there a curfew that prevents him driving around at night?

Is there a law that makes falling off his bike in the wee small hours somehow mitigate the (probably) speeding and (possibly) inattentive car driver?

So what if (maybe) he was drunk, carrying yabaa, unlicensed, a known felon with warrants and driving a stolen motorbike.

"OK Mr. Teerapong, that's alright then. Off you go home."

I guess I'm failing to see how 'what...he was doing' is really an issue.

Is being "near a tech college' suspicious? Is being on a curvy road suspicious? Being 19?

In my life I've done all these 'questionable' things, including picking up motorcycle.

One needs to drive such that one can avoid a downed cyclist, or other object in the road, regardless.

I guess that is why no one questions this stuff 'cept you.

By the way, what did the police say to your suggestion for tox screen?

I have driven that road many many times and it is very curvy. If he was doing 60 and came around a bend he would not be able to stop in time. Then again most of the times I have driven it people have been absolutely motoring along there, well over 100 kmh. It really does need lights with the amount of traffic it gets going to the airport at night, particularly with the limousine services that go well over 100 kmh+ there

I have driven that road many many times and it is very curvy. If he was doing 60 and came around a bend he would not be able to stop in time. Then again most of the times I have driven it people have been absolutely motoring along there, well over 100 kmh. It really does need lights with the amount of traffic it gets going to the airport at night, particularly with the limousine services that go well over 100 kmh+ there

So What are you saying exactly------------ Has there been a heap of accidents on that piece of road? Or is this the first one?coffee1.gif

Don't be so quick in accusing the driver of the car. When designing a road, one of the most important factors to take into consideration is sight distance based on speed, vertical and horizontal alignment and line of sight. Gives the driver time to pull up if a hazard is sighted on the road ahead. I'm not saying the guy was not speeding, but if the road here was not designed to cater for sight distance he would not have been able to pull up in time. Mostly only new roads cater for sight distance requirements. Old roads were constructed to different standards.

• Like 1

Don't be so quick in accusing the driver of the car. When designing a road, one of the most important factors to take into consideration is sight distance based on speed, vertical and horizontal alignment and line of sight. Gives the driver time to pull up if a hazard is sighted on the road ahead. I'm not saying the guy was not speeding, but if the road here was not designed to cater for sight distance he would not have been able to pull up in time. Mostly only new roads cater for sight distance requirements. Old roads were constructed to different standards.

It is seldom the road's fault, but almost always the driver. If the roads are poorly designed in terms of sight distance, then the driver should take that into consideration and adhere to safe driving standards, which includes to adept your speed to the road conditions and standards.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket

The road is all dual carraigeway now, meaning it is possible to drive quite fast ans use both lanes for high speed cornering. <deleted> is a motorcycle doing down in the middle of the road? Were there any witnesses?

Until they can show he was driving recklessly, I don't quite get your ideas that he must have been driving too quickly or dangerously.

Kid falls of motorcycle and runs into the road to pick it up and gets hit. To say that this must be the drivers fault 100% is crazy.

Could've happened anywhere, but 'drive to conditions' screams out here. If road dark and curvy slow down to allow for suprises. No news for anyone familiar with Thai roads but I think a few billion baht needs to be spent on road safety.

Road designs 'constructed to different standards'!?

This is Phuket where new, dual-carriageways are 'planned' along the routes of the pre-existing 'swervy' roads which in turn followed the original buffalo tracks.

Where are you btw?