Old but deadly 500-pound World War II bomb found in Chonburi

webfact

Seven years in Thailand and never heard of WWII bombs being found, now 4 in a week in widely separated places, what the heck? blink.png

I remember clearly in around 1998 the police finding one near the rail line which goes to the port near where Buckskin Joe's (Soi Zero) was. They evacuated everyone from Lower Suk. That was chaos. Friday afternoon too. Turned out to be a dud.

I read/heard that British Munitions in WWII were designed that their firing mechanisms would disintegrate quickly so the enemy couldn't use any unfired ordnance against them. Apparently not...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven years in Thailand and never heard of WWII bombs being found, now 4 in a week in widely separated places, what the heck? blink.png

Most people who live in Thailand all their life have never heard of WWII .

Good point- my Thai GF just gave me that look when I told her the then Thai govt was moved to Phetchabun (her home) during WW2. Her grandmother still lives there. By that look I mean one of sheer incomprehension!!!

It's as if WW2 never happened.

But in a weird sort of way it's one of the things I like about Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Let's see how you like it when Thailand declares war to USA and the UK again.

That is one of the things I am leery of about Thailand.

Are you serious? Thailand declared war on the Allies at the behest of the Japanese. It was a case of allowing the Japs access so they could attack the British in Burma or be invaded. It was not an action universally acclaimed throughout Thailand as evidenced by Thai guerrilla fighters who operated against the Japanese.

But I suspect your comment was tongue in cheek :-P

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered."

Mai kao jai.

Strange that of the 4 or 5 in 20 years, 2 have been uneartherd in the last week.

Wondered who would be the 1st to try to have a dig at journalism...it's so simple, 4 bombs had been found before the Chonburi one making it 5 in all. Go and get a calculator, it may help.

"So far four 500-pound bombs of World War II had been discovered during the past 20 years. The finding in Chonburi is the fifth bomb to be discovered."

Mai kao jai.

Strange that of the 4 or 5 in 20 years, 2 have been uneartherd in the last week.

"EOD unit chief Pol Lt-Col Amnart Palafaifa said his unit has no efficient equipment to retrieve this live bomb and has contacted the Air Force to send its EOD to help retrieve the bomb from the pond for demolition."

well let us hope that someone has the necessary expertise, because the last defusing strategy didn't go so well, did it...

They can't ask foreigners for help, can they....

• Like 1

Mai kao jai.

"EOD unit chief Pol Lt-Col Amnart Palafaifa said his unit has no efficient equipment to retrieve this live bomb and has contacted the Air Force to send its EOD to help retrieve the bomb from the pond for demolition."

well let us hope that someone has the necessary expertise, because the last defusing strategy didn't go so well, did it...

They can't ask foreigners for help, can they....

"They can't ask foreigners for help, can they...."

They don't need to, the RTAF has their own team.

The guys that attempted and failed to launch themselves into orbit on a scooter should have tried one of these - if at first you don't .......lol

Now I see why you have so many posts.

So some guy(s) is going to risk his life defusing this and all you guys can do is the normal juvenile Thai bashing. I hope someone finds one near all the naysayers houses then maybe their tune will change.

Just because a scrap yard (who were told it was a dud) didn't know what to do does not mean the appropriate military authority doesn't.

Which foreigners exactly will they ask.

The 500 pounder found in the pond should be relatively easy to

remedy. Just place 3 PE4/C4 (same stuff) blocks on the old bomb,

sandbag said bomb completely with a few layers of bags, clear the

surrounding area of inhabitants by at least 1000 meters and detonate

the charges. Big bang, bunch of water & sand tossed about, pond

gets a new dimension added to it...everybody gets a show and it's

all over.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Caption Competition time

"Pass me that hammer Somchai"...

"Get me an oxy torch Somchai, so that we can cut it into more manageable pieces and take it to the scrap yard"

"Don't force it! Pass me a bigger hammer"

So some guy(s) is going to risk his life defusing this and all you guys can do is the normal juvenile Thai bashing. I hope someone finds one near all the naysayers houses then maybe their tune will change.

Just because a scrap yard (who were told it was a dud) didn't know what to do does not mean the appropriate military authority doesn't.

Which foreigners exactly will they ask.

Sunshine51 may have some expertise.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who in the hell, is bombing Thailand??

Hmmmm not really into history or reading that much Mr Fakename?

Until these WWII bombs came up, I also didn't know there had been bombing missions in and around around BKK, as in fact there were not many. I did know there had been missions along the Japanese R/R, but I was surprised to learn--first here on TV, and then reading further online--that there had been some missions around BKK, including the first B-29 mission. It turns out these missions were few and tactical in nature, so BKK suffered very little collateral damage. This may be why Thai's are surprised by all this, too, because many of them were certainly alive then. But most Thai's are completely unaware of their country's role in WWII or, for that matter, Field Marshall Phibun's 6-year reign during that time period. My Thai university graduate wife has no clue about this period, and she is a smart, multilingual professional translator. She tells me the only thing she knows is from a movie she saw about the Siri Thai fighting the Japanese. I conclude this to show that nothing is being taught here about this period in Thailand. Perhaps this is why today's graduates are sieg heiling caricatures of Hitler on campus: they are simply clueless. I wonder if all of this bomb-news will stir up a little interest in the Thai history of that period? Probably not.

This pre-WW2 photo is of King Prajadhipok (Rama VII) of Siam visiting Germany on 6 July 1934. He was greeted by German leader Adolf Hitler. The meeting took place just two years after the abolition of absolute monarchy and only eight months before the King’s abdication in March 1935. The King was accompanied by his wife — Queen Rambhai Barni. It was reported that the meeting took place at Berlin’s city hall. As they met for the first time, King Prachadhipok shook hands with Hitler. Afterwards, they proceeded to visit cutting-edge gasoline plants and other modern scientific laboratories.

post-199215-0-46038500-1396591185_thumb. post-199215-0-82042900-1396593553_thumb.post-199215-0-25132200-1396593601_thumb.

Edited by Bkk Cruiser
  • Like 2

Caption Competition time

"Pass me that hammer Somchai"...

When I looked at this photo and read the article, the episode of "the Young Ones" were Vivian was trying to detonate an an atomic bomb using "a drill, the hedge trimmers and some ordinary household bleach" sprung into mind for some reason...laugh.png

• Like 1

An example of Shrapnel from AZON (first guided bomb) found near Hell Fire Pass (dropped by allied bombers on 3 tier bridge sometime late 1944) You can imagine the effect this chunk of burning hot metal would have travelling through the human body. Perhaps it's time to start educating everyone here about these UXB's with a campaign much like they use in Laos and Vietnam?

post-188858-0-07698600-1396592146_thumb.

• Like 2

i certainly hope they are wearing safety vests in case the bomb goes off

Then the next caption would read...

"Who's that? Oh... Thats Somchai...

What... No Head... Arms... or Legs...?

He's lucky he was wearing "Safety Vest"!

&lt;deleted&gt;?????

Nice to see they have approached the bomb with caution, wearing the full bomb disposal safety gear, clearly they are on the ball.

Next the process is to give it a good shake to see if anything happens, if not they roll it down the hill to the scrap yard and the oxygen cutter comes out.

If it's been sat in a pond for as long as the pond has been there, one would assume it would have been spotted well before now.

And an explosive radius - which I assume is what is meant by the destructive power measure - of 500 metres seems well beyond what I should have expected. A quick check online suggests closer to 100.

If it's been sat in a pond for as long as the pond has been there, one would assume it would have been spotted well before now.

And an explosive radius - which I assume is what is meant by the destructive power measure - of 500 metres seems well beyond what I should have expected. A quick check online suggests closer to 100.

Agree those numbers aren't right. 500 meters is the approximate evacuation distance for a 500 lb bomb. Around 60 meters for the fatal radius.

post-566-0-58725300-1396596116_thumb.jpg

Mai kao jai.

Not strange at all.

Drought alway follows a cold winter in Thailand. This winter was the coldest on record. It follows that water levels in dams and ponds in the lowest it has ever been. These bombs were not unearthed, they have been hidden below the surface of water for decades...and now, because the water has dropped, they have been discovered.

Only in Thailand...can any identify any other country in the world were officials approach a live bomb wearing baseball caps...

It is the mistake of the media !

They speak of "something they never saw" of 500 pounds !

It is normal they try to open this "thing" and take the 500 pound !

Look at the rate today :

Pound Sterling 53.18489

Wouldn't you open this ?

I would !coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Mai kao jai.

Not strange at all.

Drought alway follows a cold winter in Thailand. This winter was the coldest on record. It follows that water levels in dams and ponds in the lowest it has ever been. These bombs were not unearthed, they have been hidden below the surface of water for decades...and now, because the water has dropped, they have been discovered.

Only in Thailand...can any identify any other country in the world were officials approach a live bomb wearing baseball caps...

Maybe these guys attended the bomb squad baseball camp in Indiana and due to the language barrier they got the wrong impression.

http://www.bombsquadbaseball.com/

It has been said that hitting a baseball or softball is the most difficult skill in all of sports. At Bomb Squad Baseball, located in Northwest Indiana, players are drilled repetitively on the basics of hitting, as well as fielding and throwing, in a fun, lively, and competitive environment!

Our proven system and advanced technology are designed to help baseball players of all ages reach their full potential and to gain a competitive edge. Our knowledgeable staff is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art instruction in all aspects of baseball.

Come by and see how we can help you achieve your maximum potential.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1