"Big Bikes" allowed to go on toll ways - trial phase. (rumor?)

indothai

Just out of curiosity are there any other countries that don't allow big bikes on expressways/motorways?

What is done in other countries is irrelevant.

French have urinals in the street, does the US?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that did catch my attention was the engine size? Why? Max speed on the toll ways are 80 km/h anyways, my Scoopy-i can do that tandem, heck, with some tail wind I can hit 100 km/h. So, I don't understand the engine size limit.

It's not the maximum speed it is the sustained cruising speed. You very rarely see a small scooter sustaining 80 kph, even the express way police on their 200cc bikes don't always cruise at 80.

Add to that the fact that the average traffic on the Ramintra express way is doing 100kph regardless of the speed limit. Unless of course the intent is to lower the speed of the traffic?

'"Big bike" being anything larger than 250cc.'

I guess that would leave out my CBR250.

Rats.

I guess we could lay that at Honda's feet? They sell up to 250, except Forza at "normal' Honda dealers. Larger than that and one has to go to Honda Big Wing.

I have a Keyway Superlight Cruiser, hardly the fastest 200cc bike by any means but I can & have often happily cruised at 90-100 kmh all day...

A CBR150 can cruise at 100kmh with no problem. I rode up to my home in Isaan on a Kawasaki Kasi 125cc Scooter from Koh Samui (took 3 days & I wouldn't want to do it again lol) & cruised at 100kmh the whole way so I'd say that you are underestimating the speed these smaller Bikes can do. I'm 6' tall & 95 kilos so with a much lighter Thai on one they'd presumably go faster.. I do agree that it'd be very dangerous on the expressways around Bangkok however & I certainly won't be using them...

Just so you know, the indicated speed on bikes here (and other countries) are often 10% higher than they actually are.

Shows 100kph, more than likely the real speed is 90kph or there abouts.

Use a GPS to compare.

There are a few reasons why.

• Like 1

I have a Keyway Superlight Cruiser, hardly the fastest 200cc bike by any means but I can & have often happily cruised at 90-100 kmh all day...

A CBR150 can cruise at 100kmh with no problem. I rode up to my home in Isaan on a Kawasaki Kasi 125cc Scooter from Koh Samui (took 3 days & I wouldn't want to do it again lol) & cruised at 100kmh the whole way so I'd say that you are underestimating the speed these smaller Bikes can do. I'm 6' tall & 95 kilos so with a much lighter Thai on one they'd presumably go faster.. I do agree that it'd be very dangerous on the expressways around Bangkok however & I certainly won't be using them...

It is not only the speed the bike will attain or cruise at but the speed the rider is likely to travel at which is important.

Imo they should open it only for bikes up to 250cc. These are the bikes the working people use. They could get to work or deliver pizza, gas and other things much faster when using the tollways. These are the people who would really profit from such change. Owners of big bikes who like to get out of Bangkok at the weekend have enough time to waste and are proud to show their bikes standing in traffic and making wheelies at the lights. In fact it doesn't even matter if they are able to get out of Bangkok, they can ride their bike around the block to show it...

tongue.png

Aw shucks Goofy, the working poor don't have money for the motorway! Or tail light or indicator globes it would seem.

• Like 1

Imo they should open it only for bikes up to 250cc. These are the bikes the working people use. They could get to work or deliver pizza, gas and other things much faster when using the tollways. These are the people who would really profit from such change. Owners of big bikes who like to get out of Bangkok at the weekend have enough time to waste and are proud to show their bikes standing in traffic and making wheelies at the lights. In fact it doesn't even matter if they are able to get out of Bangkok, they can ride their bike around the block to show it...

tongue.png

Aw shucks Goofy, the working poor don't have money for the motorway! Or tail light or indicator globes it would seem.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that of course the small displacement bikes don't have to pay. And no, eating and sleeping on the tollway is forbidden, everyone using it has to strictly follow the rules biggrin.png

Unless it has escaped your observance Thailand is a very class conscious society. Transport wise you have Public Transport Class, M/C Taxi Class, Taxi Class, Scooter/Small Bike Class, Pick Up Class and Private Car Class. Top of the heap being Benz Class. There is no Class designation yet for Big Bikes. Most Thai's are still trying to understand why someone would pay 2m Baht for a Panigale when they could buy a Benz. Put that together with the fact that the expressways were only started in Bangkok just over 20 years ago and you can understand the predicament.

Scooters and small bikes cause enough mayhem on normal roads as it is, letting them on expressways would be suicidal. 5 people on board, no license tax or insurance it would be total anarchy.

Most people who ride a big bike, let's say 500cc plus, for arguments sake, have taken the time to learn to drive it properly and it's basically a toy. Not a practical form of transport. You wouldn't go to Tesco's in your Ferrari or Panigale to do the weekly shopping.

My old Thai car license used to allow me to drive a car and a bike now they are separate. I would suggest a proper big bike license so people can ride their bikes on expressways.

• Like 2

motorbike_0.jpg?itok=HK8qmo7w

"A man driving a Mercedes allegedly rammed a motorbike because it was “driving too slow”

Replace the 1000cc superbike with a 100cc Honda wave with 2 adults, 3 children and a basket of laundry. What could go wrong?

Even on a 250 there would be a <deleted> trying to hit you (or at the very least get very, very close and frighten you) for being on their 'territory'. sad.png

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 1

Benz Rules! Remember about six or seven years ago a lunatic driving a Benz mowed down a bus stop full of people because he had an argument with the bus driver?

Moo Ham.

One of the grandmothers he drove into died.

After many years of freedom he finally had to go to court only about a year ago and face justice.

Of course he was found not guilty due to 'Affluenza'. As he was a rich spoiled kid he couldn't tell the difference between right or wrong and had an uncontrollable anger when he didn't get what he wanted. Not Guilty, all charges dropped.

Recently remember the 16 yr old girl who killed NINE on the expressway when she was one her phone and rear ended a minivan. Of course her name was Na Aydthaya so no punishment at all.

Almost safer on the public roads on a bike than daring to be on the territory of those who know they can kill and get away with it.

tongue.png

a true public man!

waiting for your candidancy as prime minister of thailand for the next elections:)

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

Benz Rules! Remember about six or seven years ago a lunatic driving a Benz mowed down a bus stop full of people because he had an argument with the bus driver?

Moo Ham.

One of the grandmothers he drove into died.

After many years of freedom he finally had to go to court only about a year ago and face justice.

Of course he was found not guilty due to 'Affluenza'. As he was a rich spoiled kid he couldn't tell the difference between right or wrong and had an uncontrollable anger when he didn't get what he wanted. Not Guilty, all charges dropped.

Recently remember the 16 yr old girl who killed NINE on the expressway when she was one her phone and rear ended a minivan. Of course her name was Na Aydthaya so no punishment at all.

Almost safer on the public roads on a bike than daring to be on the territory of those who know they can kill and get away with it.

I thought he killed more than one person but he should have been put in an asylum. The girl who knocked the minivan off the tollway was only 16 and was the daughter of a cop. Most Thais are taught to choose a lane and stick to it. That's why they don't move over when a faster car comes behind them. The list goes on and on. Anyway stay ahead of the traffic! Don't mingle.

there is a lobby group of influentual HISO Thai big bike riders and politicians who ride also who have been trying for the last 14 years to get the law amended for + 600 cc bikes,, if the big bike manufacturers also lobby it might happen ??? TIT

there is a lobby group of influentual HISO Thai big bike riders and politicians who ride also who have been trying for the last 14 years to get the law amended for + 600 cc bikes,, if the big bike manufacturers also lobby it might happen ??? TIT

I have often wondered why the big bike companies and influential Thais don't lobby for this. It would help sales for big bike companies.

Thing is i have seldom seen Thai laws evolve when there is no money to be made by the government. They love new big projects to rip off money instead of changing laws or enforcing current laws to solve a problem. So I wont hold my breath.

• Like 2

I have often wondered why the big bike companies and influential Thais don't lobby for this. It would help sales for big bike companies.

Thing is i have seldom seen Thai laws evolve when there is no money to be made by the government. They love new big projects to rip off money instead of changing laws or enforcing current laws to solve a problem. So I wont hold my breath.

Lobbying usually involves "Incentives" these could be financial or otherwise. All Big Bike co's in Thailand spend jack on mass media advertising so maybe they should spend their advertising budget elsewhere. Reason I asked about other countries' policies towards big bikes on expressways is because this would give the lobbyists ammo if Thailand is the only country with such laws. Please be aware influential Thais and Government officials read forums such as these. It takes 50,000 signatures to request an amendment to the Thai Constitution. Maybe Thai Visa's Lawyer could tell us how many signatures would be required to propose a change in the law for big bikes? P.S. I'm not sure if it is actually a law or just a regulation of the expressway company because they were joint ventures with the Thai Government.

Edited by ATF

I believe the interstate highway system in US of A requires bikes of 150cc minimum.

Not 100% sure. Yanks?

The posted speed limit out west is 75mph (~120kph).

Edited by papa al

^

Yep, classifications based on maximum speed make more sense than based on cc. Everything faster 100kmh would be OK imo. This would exclude the Waves and Finos, but include the CBR150s. In germany everything faster than 60kmh can use the Autobahn biggrin.png

As long as the bikes are only allowed to use the left hand lane. (and adhere to it)

This would cut down on the spastics in the big cars wanting to bully and endanger bikes for being on their turf. Which would be a big issue for them if little CBR150's are all of a sudden clogging up their paid for bit of tarmac.

^^^ now we have this silly left lane rule again and it's coming from a falang??? I can't believe it! :P

I'd rather see no CBR150 on the toll way if such a rule to allow bikes there is passed.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Edited by Shurup
  • Like 2

I bought a Raider150 in Chiang Mai and rode it back to Patts topping at ~140 and cruising tank after tank 120 indicated.

Same performance with my CBR150s both carb & FI.

In truth, at the end of the day, not much different than my CBR250 speed wise.

tongue.png

Yes yes. We know you don't/can't ride and hate big bikes. Why on earth you continue to post your inane 'a big bike is just for show' crap on here is anyone's guess.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

tongue.png

Yes yes. We know you don't/can't ride and hate big bikes. Why on earth you continue to post your inane 'a big bike is just for show' crap on here is anyone's guess.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Why so serious? I took his post as a good joke, nothing more nothing less.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

• Like 2