Why shops are allowed to openly steal from customers

JesseFrank

A large, too low, supermarket, consistently has electrical items and appliances on sale for months on end You can go in and ask to buy a fridge - for example - which is on display, the staff member will smile and take you to the fridge and then feign surprise, saying that the fridge has just sold out. He'll then take you to a different, fridge and try to sell it to you.

Go in a few months later, the original fridge will still be on display. Go and see the same staff member and he will repeat the whole silly facade all over again, feigning surprise, and so on.

In what country? Happened to me in Denver Co in 1965.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A large, too low, supermarket, consistently has electrical items and appliances on sale for months on end You can go in and ask to buy a fridge - for example - which is on display, the staff member will smile and take you to the fridge and then feign surprise, saying that the fridge has just sold out. He'll then take you to a different, fridge and try to sell it to you.

Go in a few months later, the original fridge will still be on display. Go and see the same staff member and he will repeat the whole silly facade all over again, feigning surprise, and so on.

Thailand, of course.

The supermarket also blatantly does it with their USB drives. They have about 30 types on display, but in reality, at any given time they only have about ten kinds in stock.

Edited by somchaismith

right it's cheating speedtripler..

Weights and measures have been part of commerce for a long long long time.

Next time you buy a bike, better hope the manufacturer didn't short you 100cc. cheesy.gif

Edit. Maybe a bad example as most bikes have less cc than the model name states...laugh.png

You must be new in thailand if you think buying an imported big bike is anything but a rip off .....

Maybe imm stupid or i just believe that life is too short to waste time haggling over something i cant change anyway

but ive given in to temptation as far as motorbikes and most other aspects of rip off thailand go ....

it costs me a fortune to drink beer imported from belgium,maybe x5 times more than thai piss beer too but rather than getting stressed about it i just pay for them and drink them biggrin.png

after all , i chose to come here ..........i dont have to ride expensive bikes or eat expensive food or drink expensive beer ,i just like to ....

Anyway, here's to the OP for the heads up. Will have to weigh all the packaged meat, too, from now on.

Might not be such a bad idea. I used to order from the same supermarket fried chicken breast on a bi-weekly base.About 6-7 months ago they changed to a new foreign butcher, who controls 7 of their branches at the same time. Since that guy came in charge things really turned worse.

My first order from him was 3 kg fried chicken breast. Now when you barbecue chicken breast you will lose between 25 and 30% of fat and moisture, but you are charged for the weight of the raw meat, which is fair.

When I went to pick up the fried breasts they had them split in 3 packages, as I had requested as I freeze them so I don't need to thaw the whole lot, and each package had a label showing 1 kg of chicken breast.

I collected the packages but noticed that they were extremely light, so I asked them to put the 3 packages together on the scale, and the total showed ~1750 gram, where it should have been not less than 2100 gram in the worst case.

They also used to have a free cooking service, but Chicken thigh which was raw 65 Bht/kg, would when fried get a label of skinless breast and sold at 145 Bht/kg. I pointed out to him several times that this was unacceptable, but each time he would have some lame excuse about the staff being incompetent, correct the mistake on the spot and do some ( show ) arguing with the staff, but next day it would be the same. After a few weeks of this practice, and me of course refusing to buy any of the goods, he claimed that it was programmed in the weighting scale by the head office, and they were not able to correct it laugh.png

I stopped buying meat of any kind at that supermarket at that point.

• Like 1

You still remember what happened to you in a shop 50 years ago coffee1.gif

Better question, given the country, WHICH Company doesn't steal (within double standards to foreigners) from its customers. Or most begging, why didn't you know.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The majority of their customers are Thai, and I have also such a feeling that it are those that get cheated the most with this thieving practice.

Better question, given the country, WHICH Company doesn't steal (within double standards to foreigners) from its customers. Or most begging, why didn't you know.

The majority of their customers are Thai, and I have also such a feeling that it are those that get cheated the most with this thieving practice.

I'm all there, but Thailand it's common practice wherever you go. Maybe by different means, but say I go to Index & want to buy a 300+ bed sheet package! as a foreigner I'll pay 5000-6000 baht whereas the Thai will pay 1500 baht.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This useful information, we tend to trust the prices to be right, we are used to western practices where they are. Here consumers are treated differently, dubious price tickets abound to catch out the unwary, shelves filled up to empty the box and end up behind whatever ticket, check the barcode numbers now.

I have bought some products in the UK which claim a health benefit of 10%, here they claim 15%! Any claim to get your money, buyer beware is the best way forward, I wish that all shops over a certain size would have to install barcode scanners so we can check ourselves, like weighing the fruit.

In Europe supermarkets it is mandatory to have scales in the fruit and vegetables zone that allow to check the weight of prepacked goods .

Have you ever seen such in Thailand ? Instead they put all scales out of reach of the customer, and if you walk up to the scale and weigh it yourself, you get bad eyed as I experienced yesterday once again.

Up here in Phitsanulok, it is pretty common in the local markets to see the scales of the sellers being checked. This is done by members of the Bureau of Weights and Measures to ensure the buyer isn't getting ripped off by 'fixed' scales.

If they can do this in public market places, they can also follow up a complaint in a supermarket, their job made easier by labels showing actual weight vs advertised weight. Fair trading comes into question big time.

Assuming no back-handers are involved................20x20xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.p

What thailand do you live in ?

sad.png Yep, deserved that I suppose.

tongue.png

My my you are a little price watcher .....did you actually buy any of the goods mentioned ! it's called buyer beware....did YOU complain to the company concerned on the day.....or did you write it in your little book NOTED tell everyone on TVF........

If you were ever under charged on item you purchased did you go and give them the extra money BACK....! ! !

My my you are a little price watcher .....did you actually buy any of the goods mentioned ! it's called buyer beware....did YOU complain to the company concerned on the day.....or did you write it in your little book NOTED tell everyone on TVF........

If you were ever under charged on item you purchased did you go and give them the extra money BACK....! ! !

Your point being ?

• Like 1

Not everything here is in metric, imperial measrues are known as long measures. Tyres are measured in psi ( pounds per sq inch ). I think its 2 1/2 rai to the acre and I have seen other things measured in cubic feet but cannot remember what right now.