Phuket crepe maker meets the stranger who saved him from sharks

webfact

those rich thai can learn something from this...

most farang, probably including this very woman, are not rockefellers.

i hope thai people hearing/reading about this story will put it in the right perspective and NOT filing it under: all farang are rich.

i hear this too often by people who have everything they need (and more!) and it's useless to explain them how things go in the west....

generally, the logic here goes: if u can fly to thailand u have "money too much"...

the fact that most foreign people work a whole year for 2-3 week holiday is of no importance xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

still good story and chokdee to the crepe dude!

Edited by stickylies
  • Like 2

If you haven't seen the movie "Pay It Forward" (2000) - try to find a copy. Ms. Gibson is a perfect example of the message of the story - how to change the world with one act of kindness at a time.

Good on you Delyse!

• Like 1

Good woman. It's great to help those who need it. The Thai man should be grateful and also learn a lesson from his mischief. It seems that a lot of Thais have zero knowledge of financial planning, or just don't care and need loan sharks to help them out. The poverty circle is not easy to escape from, but not impossible. He needs to save money to replace his assets (cart) once every couple of years, or get an insurance. Start with stashing away 25 or 50 satang per sold pancake. I know I might sound hard, but a lot of people having financial hardship have partly themselves to blame due to a complete lack of planing.

Are you serious? "… a lot of Thais have zero knowledge of financial planning…" ??
Well, please excuse Mr. 'crepe maker' because he failed to see the benefit of having his 401K account, tax-deferred IRA, life insurance policy, gov't savings bonds, long range growth stock portfolio, and Swiss bank account in proper order. Indeed, what the hell was he thinking??
No doubt every other 3rd world street vendor knows better than that. facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Are you serious?

Financial planning in its basic form is just a matter of putting some sort of plan in place for one's financial future, and it doesn't include all, or even any,of the things that you have listed – – a simple matter of saving something every day to cover one's basic asset, which in this case was his crepe maker equipment and motorbike.

And if you look carefully at the poster's point, it was really to ensure that this guy didn't have to go to loan sharks, because once one gets in the poverty cycle, and the use of loan sharks, is not easy to escape from.

It is no wonder that so many Thais get caught up with loan sharks, because they have absolutely no idea of how to handle money.

Having said all that, it is a good story and such a lovely gesture from this Kiwi lady, and I am pleased that this guy is able to get his business back up and running, so a good ending all round.

Good woman. It's great to help those who need it. The Thai man should be grateful and also learn a lesson from his mischief. It seems that a lot of Thais have zero knowledge of financial planning, or just don't care and need loan sharks to help them out. The poverty circle is not easy to escape from, but not impossible. He needs to save money to replace his assets (cart) once every couple of years, or get an insurance. Start with stashing away 25 or 50 satang per sold pancake. I know I might sound hard, but a lot of people having financial hardship have partly themselves to blame due to a complete lack of planing.

what mischief, the thing caught fire i am sure he did not burn it down himself,as for saving money he probably needs every satang just to live and operate his cart,as for loan sharks tell me how else can many thais get loans,they cannot go to a bank, unless they have a job say with toyota or a company that gives them a payslip,which a crepe seller obviously does not,financial planning is difficult without finances.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i hope thai people hearing/reading about this story will put it in the right perspective and NOT filing it under: all farang are rich.

i hear this too often by people who have everything they need (and more!) and it's useless to explain them how things go in the west....

generally, the logic here goes: if u can fly to thailand u have "money too much"...

the fact that most foreign people work a whole year for 2-3 week holiday is of no importance xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Good woman, now she can buy pancakes with banana from the dude she helped for 50 bath while thais pay 20 bath, good old two price practice at it's best clap2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good woman, now she can buy pancakes with banana from the dude she helped for 50 bath while thais pay 20 bath, good old two price practice at it's best clap2.gif

Sadly why would I not be surprised!

Great story to read, kudos to Ms Gibsonclap2.gif though I did think the headline meant a completely different thing....I wondered how a man was selling crepes in the sea....w00t.gif

Yes being miss-informed is the Thai way...head line could read..."Foreigner rescues Thai from Sharks" or "How to cook Sharks on a free Crepe maker" in any case one did read this and grateful that the Thai man has gotten his lively hood back...

I once saw a vender with two flat tires pushing his cart... I slowed down and had my X wife as what his problem was...he had no money for tires..but needed to go to market and sell his wares...my x asked how much to fix tires...I forgot the amount but pass 200 baht and gave to wife to give to him...he was astonished and grateful...priceless...I will always remember how his eyes lite up with this small gift..it changed his day...yes little things do make a difference in the world...lets post some more miracles and not deal with the negativity so much it put to print...cheers and have a great day...see if you can find the Buddha in you to share some of your wealth...it comes back 10x... Ron

• Like 2

Exactly.

Once helped a person who accumulated a debt of more than 300.000 THB, with 40.000 Baht. Instead of paying back part of the debt, she spent part of it for deposit of a new Honda. So she was even increasing her debt instead of lowering it.

Still I would like to say Thank You to NZ Lady for her good will and her generousity.

Sadly why would I not be surprised!

There are good and bad in all societies. I personally find it very difficult to live in Australia because of the attitudes adopted there. This woman has my respect and admiration and from me that is not easy.

Remember there is also love in the world. Fight evil where and when you can and give love as often as you can.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Once helped a person who accumulated a debt of more than 300.000 THB, with 40.000 Baht. Instead of paying back part of the debt, she spent part of it for deposit of a new Honda. So she was even increasing her debt instead of lowering it.

Still I would like to say Thank You to NZ Lady for her good will and her generousity.

me too