Yet Another Land Ownership Question

I would say if your son has been registered as been born in thailand then I would say yes you can put land in his name with you as his guardian until he is 18 years old. Then he would own it outright but I am sure someone else will tell you if I am wrong. :o

As long as...

His name is in blue tabien baan book

He can have a thai ID (if old enough)

He has a thai passport

He's not a thai unless he can obtain a thai passport. If he can have this...then he is entitled with all the rights of the thais including owning a land

Edited by BKK90210

He's not a thai unless he can obtain a thai passport.

So if he was born here what is he?

Any country that denies citizenship to individuals born on it's soil is a joke.

Switzerland being a great example, Thailand is another

Oh...Japan and Indonesia too

I know and it doesn't sound right, isn't it? But sadly the law is the law here - been there before a child's born.

Having a thai-ID here is everything , especially when trying to own a land

Edited by BKK90210

As long as...

He has a thai passport

He's not a thai unless he can obtain a thai passport. If he can have this...then he is entitled with all the rights of the thais including owning a land

my daughter was born in thailand she has a thai passport,name on the tabien baan,she his 13 (today as a matter of fact) can she have land in her name now or must she wait till she his older

thanks

As long as...

He has a thai passport

my daughter was born in thailand she has a thai passport,name on the tabien baan,she his 13 (today as a matter of fact) can she have land in her name now or must she wait till she his older

thanks

I might be wrong (but not too far off)

So far that I know....Your daughter is not of the age of maturity (20 years); therefore, she cannot legally own the land. This is not to say you cannot purchase the land in her name. You will, however, need to appoint a guardian. Without appointing a guardian, it is likely that your wife (assuming she is Thai) will be de facto deemed guardian. It is technical, complex, and some land registration offices are not happy doing it. For these reasons, I suggest you talk through the land office at the Ampur or with a reputable lawyer of what you want to do

As long as...

He has a thai passport

thanks

I might be wrong (but not too far off)

So far that I know....Your daughter is not of the age of maturity (20 years); therefore, she cannot legally own the land. This is not to say you cannot purchase the land in her name. You will, however, need to appoint a guardian. Without appointing a guardian, it is likely that your wife (assuming she is Thai) will be de facto deemed guardian. It is technical, complex, and some land registration offices are not happy doing it. For these reasons, I suggest you talk through the land office at the Ampur or with a reputable lawyer of what you want to do

thanks for the info bkk90210

My son is half Thai/English, was born here and is classed as a Thai citizen.

The question is

Can land be purchased in his name and be owned by him?

Thanks

Any foreigner's minor having Thai nationality may purchase or accept land as a gift with no consideration and register the ownership of such land if it does not appear after investigation that she has done so to avoid the law by buying it for their father.

A son after 21 years old, may have to show he srved in the Thai military. The daughter over 21 years old, may have to prove its her money.

However, as a minor, he or she will be restricted as to what may be done with the land. If he/she wants to make any registered contractual action over the land, such as selling or leasing it, you as her guardian will need a court order approving such a transaction, and that court order will be granted only if your son/daughter is considered by the court to be the clear beneficiary of the transaction. Any funds obtained would have to be held in trust.

If you are sure that you or your son/daughter will not want to sell the land until he/she is 21 years old, then registering it in their name is fine.

www.lawyer.th.com

Sunbelt is correct, although my legal records shows 20 years as the age limit for being under Court supervision of ownership. If the baby is born in Thailand of a Thai mother, he/she is Thai of birth, and only needs registration at Amphur!

There is no age limit on ownership nowadays.