Computer Friendly Coffee Shops, Chitlom to Asoke Area?

OliverKlozerof

I used to often sit in Landmark in Nana, but...first they got rid of free internet a few years ago, then last time I was there, had moved the table that had been near an electrical outlet. (Plus the pastries look nice but taste like cardboard.) What I liked was it was relatively quiet, the large space, convenient.

Went down soi 1 by Bumrungrat recently to try and find a big old coffee shop that was there, but looks like a whole block has been leveled, probably in preparation for a new high rise.

Anyone know some good places to sit with a laptop and do some work? I-net is a plus, but not absolutely needed. Prefer relatively quiet, not crawling with young airheads on cell phones...slightly off the main streets would be cool. Inside with aircon. Yeah, I know all the Starbucks around, but prefer not to go there often. I just like a break from working in my apartment. Thx.

You dont like Starbucks, crap coffee by aussie standards, but terminal 21 offers free wifi just rock up to info desk show your passport and you will be given 1 years free wifi access there, Starbucks on the Asoke level is comfortable enough if you get there well before rush periods another coffee shop on a higher floor cant say that one took my fancy.

I was put on to this by know all ex TGF in 2012, i used it for about 6 months and passed it on to her when i came home, she used it into 2013 and as far as i know it is still available.

• Like 1

Did the OP actually spend any money in the places that he expected to provide him with internet services?

Ye of little business sense..................City of Melbourne i have read will offer free wifi in the central business district soon if not already, great tourist pull for the shops my friend, Terminal 21 does it and ive been to several coffee/cafe style shops in BKK that also offer.

Thais arnt big spenders and will sit on a drink for hours and use the wifi, farangs on the other hand......

And yes i always brought a drink, i support those that offer me a service, and for me to buy a Starbucks coffee you have to understand the coffee culture in Australia mate, with great penance i buy there muck which they call coffee which im sure is the remnants of whats left in the hull of a Brazilian tanker....but i did learn, i changed my order to a tea bag...yes that hi so tea bag....again in AU most places actually serve a pot of tea.

I always do the right thing mr sustento, do you?

Did the OP actually spend any money in the places that he expected to provide him with internet services?

Ye of little business sense..................City of Melbourne i have read will offer free wifi in the central business district soon if not already, great tourist pull for the shops my friend, Terminal 21 does it and ive been to several coffee/cafe style shops in BKK that also offer.

Thais arnt big spenders and will sit on a drink for hours and use the wifi, farangs on the other hand......

And yes i always brought a drink, i support those that offer me a service, and for me to buy a Starbucks coffee you have to understand the coffee culture in Australia mate, with great penance i buy there muck which they call coffee which im sure is the remnants of whats left in the hull of a Brazilian tanker....but i did learn, i changed my order to a tea bag...yes that hi so tea bag....again in AU most places actually serve a pot of tea.

Sorry I didn't realise you were the OP.

Edited by sustento

I know you specifically asked for non-Starbucks, but ....................... :)

I like the Starbucks on Soi Lang Suan - about 400 meter down from Sukhumvit on the left side. Nice atmosphere and design, never too too crowded, varied type of seating (couches, tables with chairs, etc.). The only thing I am not sure of is the location of power outlets. The times I have been there using my computer have been with a full battery.

If it makes a difference to you, it is a Starbucks community store (the first outside of the USA),

Our first international location launched in 2013 in the Langsuan neighborhood of Bangkok, Thailand. This was celebrated as part of our 15 year anniversary in the country and the community store in Langsuan signifies our ongoing commitment to give back to communities, and support local coffee and farming communities in Northern Thailand. The contributions from this store will be directed to the building of a learning center in Mae KheeMukNoi and Kong Kai village’s, Mae Chaem, Chiang Mai and, thereafter, will be dedicated to supporting sustainable education, health and irrigation projects.

I know you specifically asked for non-Starbucks, but ....................... smile.png

I like the Starbucks on Soi Lang Suan - about 400 meter down from Sukhumvit on the left side. Nice atmosphere and design, never too too crowded, varied type of seating (couches, tables with chairs, etc.). The only thing I am not sure of is the location of power outlets. The times I have been there using my computer have been with a full battery.

Ha! I live almost across the street from this one. I agree, it's a great Starbucks. I often buy their chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies--about the best in the world, in my opinion. But too 'yuppie/hi-so' for me. ;)

Personally I like Starbucks but if you dont that is fine, just dont go there. It must be said though my trips to Oz didnt exactly thrill me with the coffee but it is different for everyone. If we all had the same taste in coffee there would only be one blend.

Sure we can beg to differ your brought up on your style of coffee where ever that its, the American coffee chains havent taken off in AU and there had a presence for a long time in the heart of Melbourne, just the odd store.

The world seems to love anything trashy be it MK in Thailand MacDonald's world wide or even Starbucks....lots of people go to Starbucks the world goes round i adapt and i changed to a tea bag no big deal.