TOT TPlink wifi connects Interner with Win7 but not Android devices

Digitalbanana

We've got a TOT TP-Link home router that connects to internet thro wifi on Win7 devices but all our Android devices, whilst connecting to wifi, cannot get onto internet, Android Net Info apps on Android say external IP is not available. These devices have worked in previous days with the same router and work elsewhere, but now stopped with this home router.

Does this require a TOT service engineer fix it, or something we are doing wrong?

Rebooted all devices to no effect. Win7 runs smooth at full speed download on internet.

Edited by Digitalbanana

Can you try this ?

- Disable all other Wifi devices

- Reboot your Router

- Try to connect with the Android phone

What is the security mode of your wireless set to ?

How many IP addresses are in the DHCP Range ?

Do you use MAC Filtering ?

Have you tried "Forgetting" the current Wifi setup in your Android devices? There may have been some router changes that occurred that has confused your Android devices.

Go into your Android device Settings, select Wifi, then long press your router's connection until a menu pops up which offers the selects of Forget Network or Modify Network Config. Select the Forget Network.

OK you have just deleted that setup/password you had to connect to your router. Scan for network, select your router when it appears in the scan results, and a window will pop asking you to enter your password to allow connection to your router assuming you are using a password protected connection (I sure hope you are to ensure unauthorized folks can't connect to your router).

Sometimes when router changes occur your Android or PC device can't connect which requires you to Forget (a.k.a, Delete) the network settings and reestablish new settings. Usually with a PC you do not need to delete settings; you just need to reenter the router connection password. After that, you should be good to go if this is causing your problem. Good luck.

Can you try this ?

- Disable all other Wifi devices

- Reboot your Router

- Try to connect with the Android phone

What is the security mode of your wireless set to ?

How many IP addresses are in the DHCP Range ?

Will recheck disable ALL devices (maybe Win7 device was connecting all time) and connect with Android only later... now I am away for several days and wife is following up.

Security is WPA2

We have about 5 Android wifi devices and one Win7 wifi device using this router at any time.

MAC filtering? I don't know how to check that or know if I'm using it?

Have you tried "Forgetting" the current Wifi setup in your Android devices? There may have been some router changes that occurred that has confused your Android devices.

Go into your Android device Settings, select Wifi, then long press your router's connection until a menu pops up which offers the selects of Forget Network or Modify Network Config. Select the Forget Network.

OK you have just deleted that setup/password you had to connect to your router. Scan for network, select your router when it appears in the scan results, and a window will pop asking you to enter your password to allow connection to your router assuming you are using a password protected connection (I sure hope you are to ensure unauthorized folks can't connect to your router).

Sometimes when router changes occur your Android or PC device can't connect which requires you to Forget (a.k.a, Delete) the network settings and reestablish new settings. Usually with a PC you do not need to delete settings; you just need to reenter the router connection password. After that, you should be good to go if this is causing your problem. Good luck.

Yes, we did that thanks but to no effect. Reentered passwords on Android devices after forgetting networks and connecting again.

I actually had a similar problem a couple weeks ago, and it happened same time we had a big power cut and internet access cut for several hours. TOT engineer came and fixed it in seconds but didn't explain what he did to us, except some vague reference to it being out of our control. I think wife is calling TOT out again, but don't always trust them/understand them. I am away for a few weeks this time so cannot be hands on, but wife can handle it for me.

Edited by Digitalbanana

Probably just an IP address conflict in the router - some routers do not handle dynamic IP addressing very well, the Android devices still have an IP which has been handed out subsequently. On some customer installs we have applied fixed-IP addresses to mobile devices based on their MAC address - most routers can do this - and this has resolved these sorts of problems.

Delete this AP on any Android device (Settings, Wi-Fi, long press on network, press "Forget network"), restart all Android devices, restart the router, then re-attach to the AP.

Edited by lomatopo

Some WiFi devices have issues with either AES, TKIP or AES/TKIP encryption, or WPA vs WPA2 vs WPA/WPA2 vs WPA2 with WPA compatibility. Some devices don't deal well with the dual format.

I've got mine set to WPA2 AES (only).

I have little to no confidence in TP-Link devices. But then I wouldn't recommend any of the consumer WiFi Routers out there. They'd ship out empty boxes at a profit if people would buy them.

[...]

MAC filtering? I don't know how to check that or know if I'm using it?

It's being mentioned only because sometimes the option in the router can get enabled accidentally or through a firmware glitch.

Normally you don't need to even know about this, except when it is used to give or block access.

A media access control address is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. MAC addresses are most often assigned by the manufacturer of a network interface controller (NIC) and are stored in its hardware, such as the card's read-only memory or some other firmware mechanism.

The MAC address of your device usually doesn't change -- ever. SO the network can, using "MAC Filtering", make sure that device, and only that device, can have or be denied access to its network. WiFi hotspots use this type of filtering when you connect to their Access Points -- once you're authenticated your MAC and IP address are stored together in the whitelist for traffic to pass through the Internet Gateway, otherwise all traffic is passed back to the login page.

There are options on consumer and commercial routers to utilize Whitelist or Blacklist filters based on MAC addresses. When turned on, only devices with matching MAC address on the whitelist can get Internet access, or the reverse, any device with a matching MAC address on the blacklist is denied Internet access (even if they have the correct login info).

You can probably ignore this. You can also file paperwork with ThaiVisa to get the last five minutes of your life back.

What is the WiFi channel setting in the router? If "Auto", then try setting it to 1 and to 11. Also, what is the channel width setting?

This is a good point. You can use an Android WiFi Analyzer to get a feel for the APs in your area and the channels they are using. In some urban areas we see dozens of APs and there can be a lot of "conflict". We try to pick a static channel (3, 4, 8, 9) which is under-utilized, personally we avoid channels 1 and 11.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

What is the WiFi channel setting in the router? If "Auto", then try setting it to 1 and to 11. Also, what is the channel width setting?

This is a good point. You can use an Android WiFi Analyzer to get a feel for the APs in your area and the channels they are using. In some urban areas we see dozens of APs and there can be a lot of "conflict". We try to pick a static channel (3, 4, 8, 9) which is under-utilized, personally we avoid channels 1 and 11.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

I hope you do realize that while using channels 3 or 4 you are getting interference from BOTH channel 1 and channel 6 stations? Same goes for 8,9th getting interference from BOTH 6th and 11th...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The TOT guys came around yesterday and fixed it by "resetting" the modem and "suggesting a power outage" might be the culprit(?) according to the wife who was too busy to get details from TOT.

(Last time we had this problem after a big power cut in area I pressed the reset button on unit and it resulted in a TOT on screen message saying account disabled call TOT engineers?)

So thanks guys, I'm printing out this thread for reference for next time it happens as it surely will when I get back there!

I am fighting with this problem sind two days to no avail.

(Samsung Grande 2, Android 4.3)

I searched through heaps of websites.

Tried all kinds of methods (as they are also described by others).

Installed "WiFi Fixer" app.

Nothing works.

What I suspect: it worked well when using the TP-LINK Router TL-WR-741ND which came with the newly installed FTTx line.

I then decided to switch back to my previous AP/Router modell TD-W8968 which is supposed to be better (300 MBit, two antennas).

Quite certain I have this problem since then.

Yesterday I used some hotspot a at ressort in town.

Worked well!

I am quite pessimistic that I will be able to fix the problem with my Android phone in combination with my "good" TP Link router bah.gif

One of the most annoying and frustrating IT problems I had for long time.

I will soon try the 741 router and report here.

In fact:

TL-W741ND: PCs/laptops AND my Android phone have internet access via WiFi connection.

TD-W8968: all devices have WiFi connection but the Android phone has not internet access.

I had compared the settings of both routers side-by-side carefully and could not find a significant difference.

So now the experts can argue whether the fault is in the router or in the Android phone bah.gif

And I spent hours and hours in searching for the problem.

Will switch back to the "cheapo" device (TL-W741ND).

Anyone needs a TD-W8968, make you good price biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

The TOT guys came around yesterday and fixed it by "resetting" the modem and "suggesting a power outage" might be the culprit(?) according to the wife who was too busy to get details from TOT.

(Last time we had this problem after a big power cut in area I pressed the reset button on unit and it resulted in a TOT on screen message saying account disabled call TOT engineers?)

So thanks guys, I'm printing out this thread for reference for next time it happens as it surely will when I get back there!

A similar thing happened to me about 6 months ago with my True-issued Thomson cable/DOCSIS modem/Wifi router. I was surfing the internet just fine...then a power failure occurred...power went off for about 5 minutes and when coming back it on it only came on for a few seconds, then went off again for about another minute and the came back on solid. After that I could not make a connection to the Thomson router with my laptops or Android devices. I tried turning the router off and on, and even disconnecting the cable input for a minute...didn't help. And when Forgetting Network settings on the Android devices and deleting the connection configurations in my PCs the Android devices and PCs would try to make a connection to the router and then ask for my WPA2 password to complete the connection...but it would reject my password when entering...a password that I know like my own name. I tried to log into the router's firmware menu but couldn't...not even with a hardwire connection between the PC and router....it would reject the firmware menu access log-on credentials. Anyway I ended up pressing the router Reset button and then I could get into the router firmware menu with the default logon credentials where I reestablished the router settings, WPA2 password, SSID, etc., and then everything worked fine again...and has continued to work fine. Summary: the power outage corrupted the router's firmware.

In fact:

TL-W741ND: PCs/laptops AND my Android phone have internet access via WiFi connection.

TD-W8968: all devices have WiFi connection but the Android phone has not internet access.

If you "open up" your WiFi, that is, remove any security protocols however briefly, can you connect your Android devices?

Maybe an encryption (automatic: TKIP vs. TKIP + AES) issue?

Do you have the most current firmware (131226)?

https://www.google.com/search?q=TD-W8968+wifi+issues&oq=TD-W8968+wifi+issues&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.4161j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=2&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=TD-W8968+android+wifi+issues

A similar thing happened to me about 6 months ago with my True-issued Thomson cable/DOCSIS modem/Wifi router. I was surfing the internet just fine...then a power failure occurred...power went off for about 5 minutes and when coming back it on it only came on for a few seconds, then went off again for about another minute and the came back on solid. After that I could not make a connection to the Thomson router with my laptops or Android devices. I tried turning the router off and on, and even disconnecting the cable input for a minute...didn't help. And when Forgetting Network settings on the Android devices and deleting the connection configurations in my PCs the Android devices and PCs would try to make a connection to the router and then ask for my WPA2 password to complete the connection...but it would reject my password when entering...a password that I know like my own name. I tried to log into the router's firmware menu but couldn't...not even with a hardwire connection between the PC and router....it would reject the firmware menu access log-on credentials. Anyway I ended up pressing the router Reset button and then I could get into the router firmware menu with the default logon credentials where I reestablished the router settings, WPA2 password, SSID, etc., and then everything worked fine again...and has continued to work fine. Summary: the power outage corrupted the router's firmware.

Yes I've had exactly the same thing happen in exactly the way you describe. Those kind of power interruptions where the power goes off, on then off again are not uncommon at my house and I cringe every time they happen.

Some devices I have connected to UPS units but you can't realistically do that with everything. You would be forever changing UPS batteries.

The difference between DOCSIS and ADSL is that after a factory reset a DOCSIS modem will still re-establish the internet connection but an ADSL modem won't. You would need to know and re-enter all the ATM & PPPoE settings. That's not difficult if you know how but I don't suppose most people would.

You have got the point!

In the meantime I have updated the router FW and it works now!

So for me, the problem is fixed.

Maybe the topic starter can check the same for his router and do an update?