Cm Schools

Ricardo

Interesting food for thought, indeed. We all realize how much 'facade' there is here, and often there's a different story behind the facade. I wish I knew some parents of kids there to talk to, but if what you're saying is true, they might not know the whole story either- if there is something wrong...

I do know the nurse there, and she is a very qualified nurse with lots of experience. But she isn't aware of any of the stuff you mentioned, maybe because it's not something she'd likely be privy to.

Anyway, if you have anything of real substance to add, please do it. Hopefully, a parent or two of kids attending Prem will step in here with some real-life experience....

I must correct something I wrote: the IB program is non-profit. A visit to their website showed what appears to be a well-designed, stringent curriculum. A search on that website about Prem showed that it is indeed an IB school, authorized however as "PYP". Some more looking around revealed that PYP stands for Primary Schools Program; what that means for junior high and high school I do not know, but there were only a handful of schools in Southeast Asia authorized to use the upper level IB program (and again Prem is not one of them at this time).

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and misleading second hand information around out there!

If you check on the IB website (www.ibo.org) you find that Prem is accredited for the Diploma (grade 11 and 12, including IB) and PYP (K1 to grade 6 (?)). It is on two lines.

As far as I can see interns are in addition to full-time teachers.

Regarding fees, besides significant discounts on the entrance fee some years ago, I am not aware of different fees being applied.

If some one is really interested, go and have a look and get first hand information.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and misleading second hand information around out there!

If you check on the IB website (www.ibo.org) you find that Prem is accredited for the Diploma (grade 11 and 12, including IB) and PYP (K1 to grade 6 (?)). It is on two lines.

As far as I can see interns are in addition to full-time teachers.

My son is in an IB program in the US. In the strictest sense the IB program is a two-year (11th & 12th grade) program that is standardized and used internationally. The same curriculum and the same tests are given to all participating students regardless of country. It is a very intense, top rate, academic program. I know nothing about the PYP, but I do know that in the US, students accepted into an IB program often take what is described as a pre-IB program of studies in the 9th and 10th grades.

One need not take the full IB program, and locally here few do. Some only take the science and math IB and some the English and humanities IB program. And not all who participate in the IB program actually earn the IB diploma.

I had a brief interaction with a former "intern" from Prem. He graduated from one of the 10 top high schools in the US, went to a top notch college (one of the "little Ivy league" liberal art colleges on the East Coast) and in all likelihood was a top of the line and inspiring teacher and mentor to those kids at Prem. I would trade "interns" like that for the "accredited" teachers my kids get foisted upon them in the public schools any day of the week.

• 1 month later...
Thanks a million to everyone who posted here its made my task of finding a school in CM a synch.  My only issue is that, assuming I go for PREM and that seems logical if u dont need to be in town, and find a house to rent as near to the school as possible, it seems I will have to drive my youngest daughter a fair distance to the nearest kindergarten as PREM dont start until 3 years plus (she is 1 years old).  Anyone in a similar situation?

Cabana,

I'm in the same situation, about 2 miles from Mae-Jo, and find that Prem can pick-up a couple of miles away, while the local kindergarten in Mae-Jo (1st soi near the Mae-Jo/San-Sai junction & lights) can pick up my youngest from the door of home !

Makes life easy !!

Ricardo

I must correct something I wrote: the IB program is non-profit. A visit to their website showed what appears to be a well-designed, stringent curriculum. A search on that website about Prem showed that it is indeed an IB school, authorized however as "PYP". Some more looking around revealed that PYP stands for Primary Schools Program; what that means for junior high and high school I do not know, but there were only a handful of schools in Southeast Asia authorized to use the upper level IB program (and again Prem is not one of them at this time).

We did get a 5% discount off 2004-5 , for paying in-full up-front, possibly this is the source of the differential-pricing story ?

It makes sense to me - since I can't get that sort of interest-rate on short-term cash held elsewhere.

And so far, after one term, so good - as far as Prem standards & teaching goes.

We are thinking of making a move to CM in a little over 4 years. Have never been myself, so we are planning a short visit in May just to get a feel for the place. Prem seems to be top of our list at the moment for our two girls, although this is purley based on forum discussions and web-sites. However as our visit will only be for about 5 days was wondering if you could give us a rough idea where to look for housing within a decent travelling distance from Prem, just to give us an idea of what is available. Would rent first and probably buy later.

Any input would be appreciated thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We were supposed to move to Chiang Mai this month but after talking to the school here in England they say as my boy is 10 he has his SATS in May/June this year and it would be a bad time to change his school. So we have decided to hold off the move till after his exams. He can then start at a school in Chiang Mai in Summer Term.

As for schools I will be visiting them in about 3 weeks time to try a pick a good one. I will give feedback when I return, but at the moment it looks like NIS is the school of choice.

Regards CHris

Having just visited , gained the following impressions :-

CMIS  -    competent enough , in a quiet but central location , however sports-activities a little limited

NIS    -    loved the buildings ,  but farang teachers & pupils seemed a little thin-on-the-ground , and the new owner (after 2 (?) years)  seems yet to have got a grip.  Probably good value-for-money , and well worth considering , but do-it-yourself transport.  Would probably be fine for kids likely to be spending the rest of their lives in Thailand.  For example  -  only offers English and Thai , NO other language-options.

Prem  -    what can we say , abolutely Kock-Out , both facilities/commitment-to-education & Prices (Gulp) !  Caveat  ...  IF they can walk-the-walk as well as talk-the-talk.

Does anyone have any experience , after a year or two at Prem , how it actually works out for their kids there ? ? ?

I have several friends with children at Prem, some have been there for three or more years. Overall I have nothing but admiration for the job the school is doing. The kids all seem to be moving ahead in leaps and bounds, socially as well as academically.

I can not afford the fees at present, but my younger children will study there when my boat comes in!

We were supposed to move to Chiang Mai this month but after talking to the school here in England they say as my boy is 10 he has his SATS in May/June this year and it would be a bad time to change his school. So we have decided to hold off the move till after his exams. He can then start at a school in Chiang Mai in Summer Term.

As for schools I will be visiting them in about 3 weeks time to try a pick a good one. I will give feedback when I return, but at the moment it looks like NIS is the school of choice.

Regards CHris

Chris , fyi Prem re-starts the new school-year mid-August, a little earlier than we're used to, coming from the UK. Don't know about NIS.

Welcome to the Rose of the North !

Ricardo

Edited by Ricardo

• 1 year later...

UPDATE

After 2 years of Prem, I have to say that I'm very happy with the staff & facilities, although their administration is still running-in. Little things like losing forms & minor-payments sent in.

The full-year pre-payment discount has been cut from 5% to 3% for 2006-7. Prices rose sharply this year, as the school now has to be financially completely self-supporting, this is OK as long as they don't try it again next year too. I'm told that the best international-schools down in Bangkok are much more expensive ?

The minibus pick-up is now from-our-door, now that there are 3 kids, from our village, and is very reliable. Seat-belts compulsory, and a bus-monitor, on every minibus. They also allow other kids to come to our stop, instead of their regular one, which is great when we are holding a sleepover !

The cricket-pitch is now almost ready for use, and this year's coaching-staff now allows all kids who want it to try (indoor) cricket, where last year it was down to luck, due to limited places. The rest of the after-school activities are also good.

All-in-all, I would recommend Prem, as long as you, or your employer, can afford it.

Does anyone have any info / opinions on the three schools on Charoenprathet Road. From the look of them the student make up is predominately Thai kids.

The scools are Pharathai (Holy Cross), Regina Coeli which are both for girls and Montfort for boys.

A draw back as I have observed would be the major traffic jams when kids are being dropped off in the mornings and again late afternoon.

That's going to be a problem at any of the big schools.

Wait till your kids are 9 or 10 and send them on motorbikes :o

• 1 year later...

Hi all, here's my two penneth...

Not much mention of Lanna International School here. I send both of my kids (8 and 12 years old) there and I am very happy. Good teachers, and many with British accents, like me! It's the only place offering a proper British curriculum, so for me the choice was easy.

It won't be for everyone, the sports facilities are awful, although they have got a pool, and the buildings are a complete hotch potch... What I really like is the small classes, great PTO and friendly atmosphere (with no religion thrown in). The High School has improved leaps and bounds since the new British Head joined a few years ago.

My kids love it there. Don't always judge a book by it's cover...

PS there new website has lots of info on fees, etc. www.lannaist.ac.th

Prem - what can we say , (Gulp) ! Caveat ... IF they can walk-the-walk as well as talk-the-talk.

Does anyone have any experience , after a year or two at Prem , how it actually works out for their kids there ? ? ?

Not IF they can walk-the-walk, IF the DO walk the walk.

If you really want to know, one measure is how they perform on the standardized testing they do, IB and other. Go talk to the school principals and see what information they are willing to give you and what they say and do not say when you ask for detailed factual results and standards. Then let us know.

IMHO their results are not up to their talk-the-talk, not even close. Part of the problem is that they want more students and seem to take almost anybody. Then they mix them together, they do not group the strong all together except in English language courses.

I have kids there and the only way I see for them to get the benefit is if they are in the top 25-30%% of their classes. Even then they suffer because teachers are having to deal with lower skill students.

I think the IB program is good but will move the kids if Prem does not improve academically soon.

Yes, I know that standardized testing is not the greatest measure of a school but most kids do need to be able to take tests, read, write and do math.

Thanks for the link Ajarn , very interesting to read how things work at Lanna .

Looks very professional how they mix it all up .

Unfortunately the fees seem a bit to high for our wallet though , anyway

great to know what kind of educational possibilities are available in Chiang Mai .

Seems like , although the prices are a bit high , the educational level

is also much higher then any standard private school , so long

you can afford it the choice is easy made .

A quite useful addition to this subject would be if anyone has info on what universities are available for foreign children living in Thailand once they move abroad.

As I understand it , if you are from the UK and have lived outside UK and EU for 3 yrs you are not eligible for govt funding and need to pay full international fees. Would be very happy if someone could prove me wrong on that one. :o

One definite condition if you are trying to work your way around it, is to have a house in your name that is not rented.

Presumably this is because funding comes from the LEA and their funding is I guess derived in a major part from council taxes.

Anyone had experience of following this up?