Wife wants a loan to pay off house - but I don't....

Thaibelg

Hi Folks,

My wife wants to get a loan with the bank, which she will pay off herself for buying a house/land. Which will ofcourse not belong to me.

What would happen in case of a divorce? Am I equally eligable to pay off the debt of my wife, eventough the house is not in my name and can never belong to a foreigner? We did not made a prenuptial agreement...

What about debt on credit cards after divorce?

Thanks for letting me know.

TB

• Like 1

If your legally married and married in community of property, then one suspects you could the liable

If in the application of the bank loan, the bank requires the husbands signature, as well then you are definitely liable.

• Like 1

It seems you don't trust your wife very much, hence the question, am I liable if we divorce. Divorce would be the last thing in my mind if my wife spoke about getting a loan for a house but then we haven't all got a good relationship with those that we choose to marry I suppose. If you are legally married, you are both liable for 50% of everything, and, this includes money in the bank so either way it looks like you will be paying for the house one way or another should you divorce!

• Like 1

It seems you don't trust your wife very much, hence the question, am I liable if we divorce. Divorce would be the last thing in my mind if my wife spoke about getting a loan for a house but then we haven't all got a good relationship with those that we choose to marry I suppose. If you are legally married, you are both liable for 50% of everything, and, this includes money in the bank so either way it looks like you will be paying for the house one way or another should you divorce!

With a 50%+ divorce rate on Thai/foreigner marriages, not thinking of divorce could seem a little foolish.

Not to do with trust, to do with statistics.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Why merry in the first place, who is benefitt the marriage and who will suffer by the mariage.

After a 3 year struggle with lawers in the past i would nt trust any female no more now for sure.

Look somebody els for marry, marry christmas.

Stay with me long time and we will see later how things turn out.

Anyway make sure they cant take you out by any change.

Keep master and controll of the situation always is my device.

Edited by dutchman

If your legally married and married in community of property, then one suspects you could the liable

If in the application of the bank loan, the bank requires the husbands signature, as well then you are definitely liable.

Even though you report to the Land Office that the money only comes from the wife? So you have no claim over the property, yet the farang is left with the bill even after divorce....TiT

Be careful, especially if you don't read Thai. A German friend's wife asked him to sign a form printed in Thai that she said was for their son's school. He only found out when Bangkok Bank demanded that he repay them B6.5Million, that he had actually signed a form guaranteeing her loan in the purchase of a condo in Bang Saen!

• Like 1

Be careful, especially if you don't read Thai. A German friend's wife asked him to sign a form printed in Thai that she said was for their son's school. He only found out when Bangkok Bank demanded that he repay them B6.5Million, that he had actually signed a form guaranteeing her loan in the purchase of a condo in Bang Saen!

Have you ever seen a document printed by Bangkok Bank in Thai?

post-187908-0-47264400-1396958834_thumb.

• Like 2

Believe it or not Bangkok Bank has many forms printed in Thai !!!

I was asked to sign one that was not completed, which I refused.

After a little hassle the form was duly completed and with smiles

all around the job was completed. Try it.

TJ

in case of a nasty divorce, there is always the option to pack up & go back home, right ?

you own nothing + you signed a paper you cannot claim things, even she dies

crazy country & people to buy houses and land in some you just met or even you married many years, it is still no blood & a stranger

house/land cannot be put on your children and even if you could, you need custody of a thai caretaker, that is not you

you own nothing + you signed a paper you cannot claim things, even she dies

None of the forms on offer waive your inheritance rights.

If she dies, you inherit.

house/land cannot be put on your children and even if you could, you need custody of a thai caretaker, that is not you

No laws preventing your children owning land, no laws preventing a foreign father being 'caretaker'.

Where do you get this stuff from?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1