Wife wants a loan to pay off house - but I don't....

Thaibelg

If you don't co-sign the papers, they won't let her buy it.

(Particularly the ones at the land office)

If she can show income they will loan her the money . If she cant then plan on putting down 50% of the value and they will loan it to here but you will have to sign papers guaranteeing the loan ...

My guess if you divorce and she boots you out you can probably force her to sell it . Short of that better start looking for another country to live in . Somewhere I read where if you default on a loan and the bank takes the assests they can not come after you if they sell it for less than the loan . Like I said I read it somewhere . Someone correct me if Im wrong please .

you own nothing + you signed a paper you cannot claim things, even she dies

None of the forms on offer waive your inheritance rights.

If she dies, you inherit.

Are you new to Thailand BritMan ?? The husband does not inherit the house from the wife (unless there is a valid will written specifying this ) in the natural course of events the Husband is 7th in line.

Under section 1629 of the Civil and Commercial Code of Thailand there are 6 classes of statutory heirs and they are entitled to inherit in the following order:

1. descendants
  2. parents
  3. brothers and sisters of full blood
  4. brothers and sisters of half blood
  5. grandparents
  6. uncles and aunts
  7. The surviving spouse .

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At my previous job, I knew a farang man who paid off the house loan. Then one day, he came home from work, and found his wife, and her ex thai boyfriend, and he threaten with a gun to kill him if came back to the house again. His wife already had bags packed.

He was broken hearted that is love of his life scammed him.

Is she an Issan lady?

Of course she is an Isaan. This is not question at all.

Really I never understand: How these under IQ, ungraduated Isaan women can make their infantile games with graduated hansum falangs here?

What are they keep between their legs? Gold or what AF?

Or these old graduated goats in their second childhood?

Edited by Loles

If she buys the house in her name but you are both living in it as the marital home then yes you would be liable I guess as you are married. Even if the loan was in her name only. It sounds very fishy to me though, why would she want to do this in her name whilst you were married? She is clearly going to have access to your money which she will use to pay off the debt right?

So, you should probably be asking your wife the question, "why do you want to do this in just your name?"

For personal debt such as credit cards I can't see you being held liable at all. This is personal, unsecured debt based solely on her ability to repay and only in her name. I have never heard of this being transferred to another person, even husband or wife.

Perhaps in a divorce settlement there may be an argument that the debts were accused whilst you were together and for joint benefit such as stuff for the house but that's not the same as the bank actually holding you responsible.

Anyway, sounds to me like you need to get legal advice to be sure.

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At my previous job, I knew a farang man who paid off the house loan. Then one day, he came home from work, and found his wife, and her ex thai boyfriend, and he threaten with a gun to kill him if came back to the house again. His wife already had bags packed.

He was broken hearted that is love of his life scammed him.

Is she an Issan lady?

Of course she is an Isaan. This is not question at all.

Really I never understand: How these under IQ, ungraduated Isaan women can make their infantile games with graduated hansum falangs here?

What are they keep between their legs? Gold or what AF?

Or these old graduated goats in their second childhood?

Take a 55 year old man from the West, and then ask him, if he can think of any pretty women back home over the age of 40.

Then ask him about over 35,

When you get to 30, you will begin to understand the Farange Phenomenon of Thailand.

Just getting a girl to smile, a real smile in the US is a chore.

Fake smiles leave quickly, so either the Thai's really mean it, or someone has taught them how to overcome evolution.

The smiles are real,

what happens after is all illusionary anyway, so, each to their own illusion, enjoy them all as much as you can,

and do not forget,

we dont belong here,

so we dont marry here,

I am a short term sojourner but even I can see that

Edited by Scarpolo

Of course you will be liable, however you can't squeeze blood from a stone. Don't keep any assets in Thailand

and be prepared to leave the country. For me a more important question is can she afford to do it? If she can

afford the payments on her income, no worries. She buys is it is hers if the relationship sours, no problems.thumbsup.gif

If you don't co-sign the papers, they won't let her buy it.

(Particularly the ones at the land office)

My wife bought a house with a bank loan no problem. I signed nothing. We live in Thailand.

You are doomed.

She'll leave you and you'll be forced to pay off the loan.

They'll squeeze money out of you and all your family back home.

They'll destroy you.

Prison will follow Ten years minimum.

Followed by deportation and blacklisting.

And who knows what the IRS will do when you get back home.

You're doomed.

Are you new to Thailand BritMan ?? The husband does not inherit the house from the wife (unless there is a valid will written specifying this ) in the natural course of events the Husband is 7th in line.

Under section 1629 of the Civil and Commercial Code of Thailand there are 6 classes of statutory heirs and they are entitled to inherit in the following order:

1. descendants
  2. parents
  5. grandparents
  6. uncles and aunts

I went to the link just to see what it was.

If you're going to post something that isn't true why would you then post the link proving you're just making it up?

• Like 1

My wife wants to get a loan with the bank, which she will pay off herself for buying a house/land.

It appears that everything in between is of little or no consequence. You state that this is your wife's loan and she'll service the repayment schedule.

Therefore, it's her liability and her money.

What is the problem?

1. descendants
  2. parents
  5. grandparents
  6. uncles and aunts

Section 1635. The surviving spouse is entitled to the inheritance of the deceased in the class and according to the division as hereunder provided:

(1) if there is an heir according to Section 1629 (1) surviving or having representatives as the case may be, such surviving spouse is entitled to the same share as an heir in the degree of children;

(2) if there is an heir according to Section 1629 (3) and such heir is surviving or has representatives, or if in default of an heir according to Section 1629 (1), there is an heir according to Section 1629 (2) as the case may be, such surviving spouse is entitled to one half of the inheritance;

(3) if there is an heir according to Section 1629 (4) or (6) and such heir is surviving or has representatives, or if there is an heir according to Section 1629 (5) as the case may be, such surviving spouse is entitled to two-thirds of the inheritance;

(4) if there is no heir as specified in Section 1629, such surviving spouse is entitled to the whole inheritance.

Am I the only one who thinks it odd the OP would not get a legal opinion? I mean, the usual Thai bashing is fun and all but at the end of the day wouldn't you really want a good answer?

Edited by thailiketoo

Read 1625 & 1635, spouse gets at least 50% of property.

Edited by BritManToo

Your biggest mistake is in implying that your wife even thinks she can ask you for a loan of such magnitude. Reasoning here is that you must have leaked information that you have these sort of monies available to her personal grand schemes (and quite possibly the grand schemes of her comrades against you... including any unknown Thai husband, BF, mother-in-law, girlfriends, neighbor's dogs or cats, etc.)

Your only redeeming factor here is to present yourself to her, the next time she comes home to you, or you come home to her, with the most anguished face possible, and immediately go to your bed and sit on the edge of it and stare at the wall with a blank, destitute and anguished face.

When she finally comes to you and asks what is wrong... you continue to stare at the wall, and in a faraway voice mutter, "I lost it all... it's all gone." whereby you burst into tears and lay back on the bed and place your head into the pillows and began blubbering into the pillow.

When she finally manages to calm you down, you explain to her in broken sentences (between the blubbering and sobs) that your family back home took you for everything you had and you are now the most destitute and broke pauper on the planet.

Upon uttering this rubbish, immediately began saying things like... "I can get a job as a teacher....", or "I'm finished. I don;t know what to do... everything I ever had is gone.... gone... gone... oh. the humanity."

To convince her of your dire predicament, you will go into a two or three week collapse, where you will do nothing at all. Let the stubble grow on your face. Don't shower. Lose 5 kilos (probably do you some good anyways).

If she doesn't throw you out by that time, or give the "No Mas" and say she'll accept you just the way you are, then you can ably disappear one dark, balmy night, and relocate to another province and take up a new life with the assurance that she will not pursue you to the ends of the earth and cut off your testicles.

The point of this satirical reply is that you must tell them what they need to hear and show them what they need to see in order to, otherwise, say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!"

Anything less is the Western way.... the right way... the Moral and ethical way.....

...regrettably, those ways here in the land of smiles will guarantee weeks, months, even years of pain and hounding from scum you simply don't want to waste that time on.

If your conscience has a problem with that, then I have no time for you.

Sometimes, Thais know you are lying... but if you do it the Thai way, they have no recourse and simply have to back off. Face does have its advantages if a clever and intelligent mind knows how to turn the tables against the ones who invented it.

There are a lot of holes in this response, but I simply want to project an idea that your morals and ethics will be turned against you more than theirs, and moreover simply because Thais have no morals and ethics. You may be a saint, but in order to live here and to survive, sometimes saints have to have a bit of the devil in them.

Your biggest mistake is in implying that your wife even thinks she can ask you for a loan of such magnitude. Reasoning here is that you must have leaked information that you have these sort of monies available to her personal grand schemes (and quite possibly the grand schemes of her comrades against you... including any unknown Thai husband, BF, mother-in-law, girlfriends, neighbor's dogs or cats, etc.)

Your only redeeming factor here is to present yourself to her, the next time she comes home to you, or you come home to her, with the most anguished face possible, and immediately go to your bed and sit on the edge of it and stare at the wall with a blank, destitute and anguished face.

When she finally comes to you and asks what is wrong... you continue to stare at the wall, and in a faraway voice mutter, "I lost it all... it's all gone." whereby you burst into tears and lay back on the bed and place your head into the pillows and began blubbering into the pillow.

When she finally manages to calm you down, you explain to her in broken sentences (between the blubbering and sobs) that your family back home took you for everything you had and you are now the most destitute and broke pauper on the planet.

Upon uttering this rubbish, immediately began saying things like... "I can get a job as a teacher....", or "I'm finished. I don;t know what to do... everything I ever had is gone.... gone... gone... oh. the humanity."

To convince her of your dire predicament, you will go into a two or three week collapse, where you will do nothing at all. Let the stubble grow on your face. Don't shower. Lose 5 kilos (probably do you some good anyways).

If she doesn't throw you out by that time, or give the "No Mas" and say she'll accept you just the way you are, then you can ably disappear one dark, balmy night, and relocate to another province and take up a new life with the assurance that she will not pursue you to the ends of the earth and cut off your testicles.

The point of this satirical reply is that you must tell them what they need to hear and show them what they need to see in order to, otherwise, say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!"

Anything less is the Western way.... the right way... the Moral and ethical way.....

...regrettably, those ways here in the land of smiles will guarantee weeks, months, even years of pain and hounding from scum you simply don't want to waste that time on.

If your conscience has a problem with that, then I have no time for you.

Sometimes, Thais know you are lying... but if you do it the Thai way, they have no recourse and simply have to back off. Face does have its advantages if a clever and intelligent mind knows how to turn the tables against the ones who invented it.

There are a lot of holes in this response, but I simply want to project an idea that your morals and ethics will be turned against you more than theirs, and moreover simply because Thais have no morals and ethics. You may be a saint, but in order to live here and to survive, sometimes saints have to have a bit of the devil in them.

Nice bash and all that but his wife does not want a loan from him. Maybe read the OP? Good bashing though carry on. I guess it's not really too important to actually read the topic. Toodle pip and bash away hi yo silver.......

If your legally married and married in community of property, then one suspects you could the liable

If in the application of the bank loan, the bank requires the husbands signature, as well then you are definitely liable.

Be careful, especially if you don't read Thai. A German friend's wife asked him to sign a form printed in Thai that she said was for their son's school. He only found out when Bangkok Bank demanded that he repay them B6.5Million, that he had actually signed a form guaranteeing her loan in the purchase of a condo in Bang Saen!

Have you ever seen a document printed by Bangkok Bank in Thai?

Hardly a helpful post by you. This is a true story and the BBL documents were in Thai. In fact most of the forms and documents I get from Bangkok Bank are in Thai, which I fortunately can read.

If your legally married and married in community of property, then one suspects you could the liable

If in the application of the bank loan, the bank requires the husbands signature, as well then you are definitely liable.

Be careful, especially if you don't read Thai. A German friend's wife asked him to sign a form printed in Thai that she said was for their son's school. He only found out when Bangkok Bank demanded that he repay them B6.5Million, that he had actually signed a form guaranteeing her loan in the purchase of a condo in Bang Saen!

Although I am not calling BS on this story because I know strange things happen in Thailand, but I have personally co-signed a loan from SCB for Mrs S on a property she was buying and all parties signing on the loan documentation had to present in the branch of the bank during signing and although the bank already had copies of my WP/passport etc, I had to bring all the orginal documents with me again, and they did check my face, the photo in the PP and the photo on the WP were all the same person before I signed on the line...

Further, in the case of SCB, its not a single page document, it was about 1/4" thick, multiple pages, (all having the SCB logo), needed my signature and every page needed to be initialed, therefore based on my experience with SCB, I do find it a bit hard to believe the German was stitched up for 6.5 million because he signed a single form from BKK bank

It is a true story. I did not say that he signed a single page form, you made that up!

Why does a form have to be one page? I have just filled in a 14 page form from the Inland Revenue (Yes they call it a form).

I don't know how long you have been here, but you obviously have not had much experience of what bank managers get up to. One reason for the collapse of the property market in 1997 was that you could get a loan from a Bank Manager with no collateral providing you paid the manager under table money. It is easy for a Thai woman who is familiar with the system to find a way of getting a loan without her husband having to visit the bank in person. In my friends case this is exactly what happened and why he refused to pay and eventually the Bank gave up trying to get the money from him, since they were at fault as he should have been there at the point of signing at the Bank. The Bank repossessed the condo from his wife.

Be care<deleted>l, especially if you don't read Thai. A German friend's wife asked him to sign a form printed in Thai that she said was for their son's school. He only found out when Bangkok Bank demanded that he repay them B6.5Million, that he had actually signed a form guaranteeing her loan in the purchase of a condo in Bang Saen!

Have you ever seen a document printed by Bangkok Bank in Thai?

Hardly a help<deleted>l post by you. This is a true story and the BBL documents were in Thai. In fact most of the forms and documents I get from Bangkok Bank are in Thai, which I fortunately can read.

With no Bank of Bangkok Logo? Check out the logo. You are telling a fib or the man told you a fib. No one is dumb enough to sign a school form with a Bank of Bangkok logo on the top? Are they? And two witnesses?

Edited by thailiketoo

Be care<deleted>l, especially if you don't read Thai. A German friend's wife asked him to sign a form printed in Thai that she said was for their son's school. He only found out when Bangkok Bank demanded that he repay them B6.5Million, that he had actually signed a form guaranteeing her loan in the purchase of a condo in Bang Saen!

Although I am not calling BS on this story because I know strange things happen in Thailand, but I have personally co-signed a loan from SCB for Mrs S on a property she was buying and all parties signing on the loan documentation had to present in the branch of the bank during signing and although the bank already had copies of my WP/passport etc, I had to bring all the orginal documents with me again, and they did check my face, the photo in the PP and the photo on the WP were all the same person before I signed on the line...

<deleted>rther, in the case of SCB, its not a single page document, it was about 1/4" thick, multiple pages, (all having the SCB logo), needed my signature and every page needed to be initialed, therefore based on my experience with SCB, I do find it a bit hard to believe the German was stitched up for 6.5 million because he signed a single form from BKK bank

It is a true story. I did not say that he signed a single page form, you made that up!

Why does a form have to be one page? I have just filled in a 14 page form from the Inland Revenue (Yes they call it a form).

I don't know how long you have been here, but you obviously have not had much experience of what bank managers get up to. One reason for the collapse of the property market in 1997 was that you could get a loan from a Bank Manager with no collateral providing you paid the manager under table money. It is easy for a Thai woman who is familiar with the system to find a way of getting a loan without her husband having to visit the bank in person. In my friends case this is exactly what happened and why he re<deleted>sed to pay and eventually the Bank gave up trying to get the money from him, since they were at fault as he should have been there at the point of signing at the Bank. The Bank repossessed the condo from his wife.

I could but doubt if I would be believed so will someone else tell this fellow how a loan is granted at the Bank of Bangkok.

Talk to a lawyer, I think if you are legally married condo, house you own together will be divided. But to be honest no one is going to buy the house from her. So if she take the loan on herself and pay from her pocket what is your problem.

Talk to a lawyer, I think if you are legally married condo, house you own together will be divided. But to be honest no one is going to buy the house from her. So if she take the loan on herself and pay from her pocket what is your problem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717068-wife-wants-a-loan-from-bank-to-pay-off-house-and-i-dont/#entry7670268

In the case of divorce if the house/land are part of the marital assets then everything will be split 50/50, if their is still a mortgage on the house/land then it be split by selling the house/land then pay the remanding mortgage off, what ever that is left will then be split 50/50, or if she wants the house all to herself with the loan she can buy your share out of the house.

In regards to the credit cards, those are normally personal and who's ever name is on the card that person is reliable for the debt, unless the credit cards are jointly own or are considered as part of the marital assets.

wow,she's your wife and she wants to have a home of her own just like many other women on this planet,She will need you more now than ever for support,i don't think she will do a shifty on you as she would have made you pay for the home,It is nearly every woman dream to have their own home.

wow,she's your wife and she wants to have a home of her own just like many other women on this planet,She will need you more now than ever for support,i don't think she will do a shifty on you as she would have made you pay for the home,It is nearly every woman dream to have their own home.

Quite a lot of women appear to dream of having their husbands home!