Most public toilets in Bangkok are not clean

webfact

Today's public restrooms in mall's and rest areas are excellent! It really brings smile to your face when you really need one and see the quality! Everyone whos complaining, thank god you weren't here 20+ years ago...

Those claiming Thai's having poor hygiene ...You're full of it !! NOT TRUE!!

Most falangs still wipe their <deleted> without using water...so who's...

Very true. The newer malls are spectacular exceptions. At places like Paragon, you could eat off the floor, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by Fookhaht

Ha ha! How is this news? I've been in restaurant toilets/restrooms where there have been cockroaches admittedly in the South. It's just part of life in Thailand I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

cockroaches in a restaurant toilet?... only in thailand...

or just about any other warm climate country in the world

May I add, about 10 years ago I went to Bath, yeh that UK town that we all must visit. I found one public toilet where the stench vibes were about 9 on the 10 scale, sooooo....bah.gif

But the thread is not about Bath

My experience of Bangkok toilets are

stench

dirty

stomach wrenching in some

Bangkok, in general is not a clean city, and very depressing too

What does the OP expect for his 5 Baht?

5 baht ???? I expect golden toiletbowls , live entertainment and a massage , never paid more than 3 for public toiletuse

Send with Commodore 64 using Thaivisa Connect Mobile App

Washing hands after the toilet is only one of the reasons to wash the hands,

I wash mine several times a day but have to consciously avoid myself becoming a Howard Hughes.

However I always make a point of washing my hands when I get home and have touched banknotes. They are covered with other people's bacteria.

I wash my hands before every meal even though I am proficient with a knife, fork and spoon.

Am I nuts, or just precautionary?

• Like 1

Washing hands after the toilet is only one of the reasons to wash the hands,

I wash mine several times a day but have to consciously avoid myself becoming a Howard Hughes.

However I always make a point of washing my hands when I get home and have touched banknotes. They are covered with other people's bacteria.

I wash my hands before every meal even though I am proficient with a knife, fork and spoon.

Am I nuts, or just precautionary?

nuts

Thailand is also the number 1 place I have come across for paying to go to the toilet, I wonder how much that brings in each year

i guess not much as i've been here 2 years and spent a grand total of about 10 baht on toilet admissions

... and i reckon i piss and poo more than average

Thailand is also the number 1 place I have come across for paying to go to the toilet, I wonder how much that brings in each year

Not enough to buy soap obviously.

It's basic public health, but I can understand it in free toilets; not LIKE it, but understand it. Really, how does a bar of soap cost? And I buy in singles or packs of 3, they could be buying them wholesale by the hundred so they they would be a fraction of what I pay. 3 or 5 baht per person times lots of people per day is enough to supply soap, yet they don't.

It's basic public health, but I can understand it in free toilets; not LIKE it, but understand it. Really, how does a bar of soap cost? And I buy in singles or packs of 3, they could be buying them wholesale by the hundred so they they would be a fraction of what I pay. 3 or 5 baht per person times lots of people per day is enough to supply soap, yet they don't.

yes there obviously making huge profits... maybe you could open a new toilet nearby, charge the same price but with soap included so all the customers come to you, cover all your staff and other costs and make a massive return on investment

yes there obviously making huge profits... maybe you could open a new toilet nearby, charge the same price but with soap included so all the customers come to you, cover all your staff and other costs and make a massive return on investment

That's a bit unnecessary. Of course they aren't making huge profits, but neither are we talking about a huge sum of money for a bar of soap. 10 paying customers would buy one. And if there was another toilet nearby that provided soap, even at a slightly higher price, wouldn't you use it? I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of people would. I make a point of avoiding these toilets until I'm in range of a shopping mall where there is a much higher chance of it being provided, meaning that they miss out on the money altogether, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

That's a bit unnecessary. Of course they aren't making huge profits, but neither are we talking about a huge sum of money for a bar of soap. 10 paying customers would buy one. And if there was another toilet nearby that provided soap, even at a slightly higher price, wouldn't you use it? I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of people would. I make a point of avoiding these toilets until I'm in range of a shopping mall where there is a much higher chance of it being provided, meaning that they miss out on the money altogether, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

i think it's not so simple because the soap will also get nicked if they provide bars ,or the dispenser will get broken, and for sure the soap will end of causing more mess to be cleaned... any extra cost would have to be covered through a higher price and/or more customers... i guess most of them will have tried offering soaps and decided its not worth it, but in case not, we will never know if it makes sense until some brave toilet operator (maybe yourself) tries it out... my guess would be only people who are really really desperate would piss / poo in those places regardless of whether they have soap or not

one thing that really ticks me off when I do is having to pay 2 or 3 baht then finding no soap for hand washing.

Just having to pay for what I think should be a free service annoys me (and having no soap annoys me even more). Since there is usually no record of payments, much of the money probably goes somewhere other than for maintenance of the toilet. Pay-toilets are often no cleaner than free toilets, particularly at bus and train stations and parks.

I've just returned from a 2-week trip around Japan and most toilets were fairly clean, and I never had to pay even 1 Yen (0.31 THB) to use any.

What ever happened to the Mr Happy Toilet campaign 4 years ago for clean public toilets led by Chalerm's son?

30070474-01.jpg.pagespeed.ce.2o2dOP4sJG.

x1441-01.jpg.pagespeed.ic._qn6mZAMth.jpg

Edited by hyperdimension