Thai heartthrobs exempted from annual military draft

webfact

Heartthrobs Exempted From Annual Military Draft
By Khaosod English

13968661081396866226l.jpg
Mr. Nadech Kugimiya (white shirt) at the military draft registration venue in Khon Kaen province, 7 April 2014

13968661081396866582l.jpg
Mr. Mario Maurer poses with an army officer at the draft venue in Bangkok, 7 April 2014

BANGKOK: -- Two celebrity actors Nadech Kugimiya and Mario Maurer have been spared from the annual mandatory military service.

According to Thai laws, all Thai males must report for a 2-year military service when they reach the age of 21, unless they have registered for Reserve Force and received military training in their high school years.

Citizens with medical conditions are exempted from the draft. Transgenders ("ladyboys") are also barred from the military draft due to their physical genders.

In early April each year, the media is abuzz with speculation which celebrity heartthrobs would "pick the black card" and join the military. For 2014, Mr. Nadech and Mr. Mario are qualified for the draft, and each actor reported to their regiment officers in their hometowns.

Mr. Nadech, who turned 23 this year, arrived at the draft registration and selectino venue at Central Plaza shopping mall in Khon Kaen province this morning. It is his third appearance at the annual military draft; the actor has previously requested for postponement of the military service in the past two years.

He did not only show up for the draft, though, as he was contracted to be a "presenter" of the military service with the Royal Thai Army. The filming of the VTR took place at the venue, with Mr. Nadech going through each station and explaining what applicants are required to do in those procedures.

"To sign up for the military service is an important duty for all Thai males," Mr. Nadech told the camera.

Large groups of his fan club gathered just outside the registration hall and, despite the officers' effort, some of them even managed to slip through security barriers and enter the venue to take photos of Mr. Nadech in close proximity.

After the filming is completed, Mr. Nadech proceeded to the medical checkup station, where a doctor announced that he has a condition of asthma. He was thus exempted from the draft under military regulations which bar applicants with medical conditions unsuitable for training.

The army's presenter then expressed his sadness at the news that he will not be eligible for the military service, and admitted that he was already aware of his condition prior to the registration as he had already gone through a check-up at Phra Mongkut Klao Hospital.

"I genuinely intend to sign up for the service in the army today after I have postponed it for 2 years," Mr. Nadech told reporters after he secured the exemption document, "But due to my [health condition] I cannot be a soldier. It made me sad a lot, because I want to be a soldier and serve our country".

He added, "Although I cannot serve my country as a soldier, there are many other duties I can do to serve the country ... I will help our nation by being a good citizen, with good thoughts, good words, and good deeds."

On the same day, the 25-years old Mr. Mario showed up for the draft at Wat Krathum Suea Pla School in Bangkok's Pravet district. The actor has previously postponed his military service for 3 times, and he applied for another year of postponement today, citing his needs to attend university classes.

The draft officer informed Mr. Mario this would be his last chance of postponement, and that he would have to pick the red and black cards like other applicants next year.

Other actors and celebrities have eluded the mandatory military service in the past, mostly with health and education reasons.

A notable exception was Mr. Sornram Teppitak who was drafted in 2000 at the height of his career. He was discharged two years later with a rank of corporal.

Famous politician Chuwit Kamolwisit also posted on his Facebook this week that his son has picked a "black card" and would enter the military service this year.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1396866108

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-07

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure you got Chuwit's son's "black card" right? It's the red card that you'll be required to get drafted. The black card, you won't.

I was lucky in my time to draw a black card. =)

Edited by Mole

Ah well our oldest drew the right card last Friday and is thus exempt from military service, mind you the medical would have been the arbitrator of the truth. Poor lad is blind in one eye.

I was told about one of the money making scams the army use for recruitment other than obviously being paid for drawing black cards, is that many of the recruits from poorer areas would prefer to sit at home on their assess for 2 years rather than have to do anything.

Basically once they are recruited, they are given an option of simply going home for a few years, when at the end of the two years they will be called back for the final 'graduation'. In the meantime the budget for training, foods, accommodations etc is obviously still paid to the various training centers, but only about 50% of those that are supposed to be training are actually their, meaning their is a huge surplus of cash for someone to take.

• Like 1

After the filming is completed, Mr. Nadech proceeded to the medical checkup station, where a doctor announced that he has a condition of asthma. He was thus exempted from the draft under military regulations which bar applicants with medical conditions unsuitable for training.

Wonder how much that diagnosis cost him?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah well our oldest drew the right card last Friday and is thus exempt from military service, mind you the medical would have been the arbitrator of the truth. Poor lad is blind in one eye.

That's fine I wish the young fella well.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Elvis, but seems he could not buy his way out of it, not that he wanted to, but seems here one can..............blink.png

You're saying that on the basis of what evidence, no evidence whatsoever? Unusual for you to be so irrational.

Reminds me of Elvis, but seems he could not buy his way out of it, not that he wanted to, but seems here one can..............blink.png

You're saying that on the basis of what evidence, no evidence whatsoever? Unusual for you to be so irrational.

I will not stick my neck out here......smile.png

Baa baa red card have you any wool?

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.

One for the Master, and one for the Dame,

And one for the little boy who lives in Dubai.

Beautiful song my son... you just got a black card. Go your way, and sing for the little heart throbs..... and drop one my way now and again, na krap. ;)

Poor love! I dont think the Thai army has seen real active service in many year so a puffer for the asthma would suffice

or even real SEAL active service, at all. Thai SOS is Dotted line, dat, dotted line... yeah we completed kinder map.... .. we don't need SAS... we passed, we know where we're going.... clap2.gif

Yes, it is the red card which gets you drafted. Or is it taking the red ball out of a bag, like bingo? Different stories...

It also depends on the quota required each year. In some towns, they will take 70 out of the 700 boys who show up. It may be less, or more.

Some boys get cushy jobs. One of the best jobs is to become a servant in a military household. Near me, there is a Colonel's house, and he had two boys there last year...washing, cleaning etc.

The 30,000baht "waiver" is still an option, or it was last year, anyway. I offered to help somebody with a loan, but his sense of duty and family pressures, plus the low risk of 10% of boys in his town...made him reject my loan. He got a red card!

I am not sure how the 30,000 works. I am sure that it doesn't go to the state. Does it go as direct Tea Money??

Eddy

smutcakes post # 6

I was told about one of the money making scams the army use for recruitment other than obviously being paid for drawing black cards, is that many of the recruits from poorer areas would prefer to sit at home on their assess for 2 years rather than have to do anything.

Basically once they are recruited, they are given an option of simply going home for a few years, when at the end of the two years they will be called back for the final 'graduation'. In the meantime the budget for training, foods, accommodations etc is obviously still paid to the various training centers, but only about 50% of those that are supposed to be training are actually their, meaning their is a huge surplus of cash for someone to take.

''You were told.''w00t.gif

Strangely enough in our local village and the surrounding villages in Amphur Sangkha Surin all those selected for military service have all done their two years term. They haven't stayed at home they've done what was expected of them. And I am talking of a personal knowledge family wise and friends wise too regarding the matter of a time span of some 22 + years.

Methinks smutcakes that your informant is something of a romantic regarding the notions he or she passes on to you.cheesy.gif

My friends brother was offered exactly as described. Called for national service and offered the choice to go home but that his service pay would not be paid to him but instead passed up the chain of command as it were.

• Like 1

He added, "Although I cannot serve my country as a soldier, there are many other duties I can do to serve the country ... I will help our nation by being a good citizen, with good thoughts, good words, and good deeds."

wai2.gifwub.png

I wonder what those real heartthrobs like James Stewart, Tyrone Power, Clark Gable and a host of others would make of these draught dodgers?

Stewart was never a heart throb, but he was an admirable man volunteering for service and risking his life. That era produced a lot of admirable guys like John Ford, David Niven, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Even Yoggi Berra landed on D day. No Thai boy beauty star has seen active service in the south in the past 25 years.

Does it really matter if they go or not, before the US went to a all volunteer force there was an education draft the sons of the rich seemed to all be in university. Dick Cheney, comes to mind O and George Bush joined the national Guard to protect Texas from all of the wet backs. Give it up boys some go and some do not. I went for 26 years no big deal