Medical Insurance while Living in Thailand

crazyfalang

Hi Peeps.

I am thinking of retiring to Thailand soon. I have my own place in Bang Saray, and i was thinking about which is the best type of Medical Insurance to get while living in Thailand, I need to do it before i am 60 as i think it is hard to get Medical Insurance once you are over this age.

Many Thanks

Generally the age is 70 when it is starting to get difficult to place medical insurance however the younger one applies the better as a lower risk.

There are many types of medical insurance and if one is based in S.E.A. then a policy designed for this area is the most suitable as a lower cost than International policies but still offering the same coverage.

For help and quotes on the different types please go HERE

It does indeed get hard after 60. ANd a big problem as well if you wait till you have developed any pre-existing conditions.

I have BUPA Thailand, they guarantee lifetime cover if you enrol before a certain age though I forget what age that is - it is definitely before 60 but might be before say 55, check their website.

If you go with them or any other Thai provider, be sure to get the highest level cover. For some reason most policies are at a ridiculously low level. (will not be an issue with a policy issued in the West). And steer clear of life insurance companies offering "health insurance" as a sideline.

Also - most people find outpatient cover not worth the added premium and it is fairly affordable. the key thing is inpatient.

• Like 2

Generally the age is 70 when it is starting to get difficult to place medical insurance however the younger one applies the better as a lower risk.

There are many types of medical insurance and if one is based in S.E.A. then a policy designed for this area is the most suitable as a lower cost than International policies but still offering the same coverage.

That link - 'HERE' - not working ?

Be very careful of "Expat" policies offered locally. I am having to review my arrangements following a minor accident resulting in a broken ankle. Insurance company covered the initial treatment THB ,5000, leaving me with a bill of THB 1,500 for crutches. To my shock, subsequent visits to the hospital and x-rays etc. weren't covered and I have paid out more than THB 50,000.

I used BUPA Thailand when I moved here on retirement status before I was 60. Believe you can sign up with BUPA until you are 65 and they will keep you. BUPA Thai has a Platinum Care where you can choose coverage for 1 million, 2 million or 5 million baht, price goes up when you are 61 and again when you are 66 and so on. Before 60 the basic price range is about 50k to 60k baht and goes up with some 5-10k baht when you reach 61 year. OPD and PA are extra options. Think BUPA Thai has World Wide coverage, excluding the US. You may be able to get a 10 percent discount with BUPA, and if you have no claims you will receive a cash refund of 10 percent of the premium. You can read more at BUPATHAILAND.COM

I got a good service with BUPA, the local agent, but as I never had any claims, my experience is limited. There are other possibilities than BUPA, so worth checking before you make any decision. Some Thai insurance companies do not accept foreigners. If you intend to use Thailand as base for retirement and a Thai health insurance provider, you may need travel insurance when travelling abroad.

A personal advise: Keep some extra easy accessible cash savings in Thailand for uncovered cases, emergency and OPD, if you save that option. I chose a lower coverage than maximum and decided to save up the difference, and a little extra, for emergency – and for the day when insurance may become too expensive to continue; I have a good health, so self-insurance is an option for me when savings are big enough. But keep in mind, that some private hospitals can be quite expensive.

This LINK goes to a commercial quote form, touting for business. It doesn't give "help" or show the different providers by comparison, to enable informed choices. The link should be taken down.

I used BUPA Thailand when I moved here on retirement status before I was 60. Believe you can sign up with BUPA until you are 65 and they will keep you. BUPA Thai has a Platinum Care where you can choose coverage for 1 million, 2 million or 5 million baht, price goes up when you are 61 and again when you are 66 and so on. Before 60 the basic price range is about 50k to 60k baht and goes up with some 5-10k baht when you reach 61 year. OPD and PA are extra options. Think BUPA Thai has World Wide coverage, excluding the US. You may be able to get a 10 percent discount with BUPA, and if you have no claims you will receive a cash refund of 10 percent of the premium. You can read more at BUPATHAILAND.COM
I got a good service with BUPA, the local agent, but as I never had any claims, my experience is limited. There are other possibilities than BUPA, so worth checking before you make any decision. Some Thai insurance companies do not accept foreigners. If you intend to use Thailand as base for retirement and a Thai health insurance provider, you may need travel insurance when travelling abroad.
A personal advise: Keep some extra easy accessible cash savings in Thailand for uncovered cases, emergency and OPD, if you save that option. I chose a lower coverage than maximum and decided to save up the difference, and a little extra, for emergency – and for the day when insurance may become too expensive to continue; I have a good health, so self-insurance is an option for me when savings are big enough. But keep in mind, that some private hospitals can be quite expensive.

Yes, BUPA, which I have, covers you forever if you sign with them before 65 (or 60??). I have found them to be good, altho I do recommend the platinum. Lower levels give tariffs (with many companies), so you pay 50% of a broken ankle etc, 30% of an appendix, etc.

Platinum also gets you a nice suite or room for 10,000b a day which BUPA pays. Some firms restrict hospitals to the cheaper ones (so you can't use BNH with ThaiHealthBronze, for instance), but not Platinum Bupa.

Of course, the in-patient cover is most vital, but I normally pay the OPD extra because I get small infections from swimming, and foot problems. I also get colds and coughs. With OPD, I can see any doctor for small problems AND get all of the tablets, Xrays etc---up to 30,000b a year, so I can pop along 2,12 or 20 times, depending on minor bugs and coughs that year!

Bupa does cover you globally but not in the US. The other problem is that Bupa Thailand is not covertible to BUPA Malaysia or UK if you move jobs...you have to start over.

One interesting detail is that many hospitals outside Thailand are familiar with BUPA by name, but will not do a direct claim by calling Thailand, except where you are very very ill and the bill is rising. So, if you have a broken ankle, you pay up front and claim back later from BUPA. This is inconvenient, especially as my BUPA policy is a lot more than 60,000b (but still much cheaper than a private USA policy).

Always check small print. Last year, I needed surgery for a small growth (the doctor advised it, not me), which lifted my annual claim to over 120,000b. My next premium was "loaded" by being raised 15%. A loading of max. 25% is possible. Other firms do this too, including, Im told, AXA. It is based on some drivel called "high claims profile." It is 2 lines in the small print. If I am paying a lot (which I am), I don't expect to be hit by this "extra". If you are ill, you are ill. The doctor knows you are ill, and wants to cure you. You don't choose to have a cancer or a wart. You pay a lot of money to sleep peacefully at night without extra bills the next day.

No firms will cover for HIV related conditions in Thailand. Same as illness cause by alcohol. However, if you get pneumonia after smoking for 50 years, you are covered!!! Very few companies pay for organ transplant.

Most companies pay other things in the small print--the ambulance, physio (up to a limit), home nursing (ditto), etc. But not crutches, sticks and false legs.

BUPA does have a world-wide policy for the well-heeled, but it starts at around USD 8,000 a year. I guess the others do too. I heard of one called New Zealand Pacific which pays everything anywhere anytime, but you need to be wealthy to afford it.

If you work in a school, or in a company, they may provide a group scheme, although this may be basic, like BUPA emerald or bronze (or whatever).

If you pay Thai social Security (360b a month), you will choose, or receive, a named hospital for treatment. there are some very very good hospitals, especially the University Hospitals (Chula, Mahidol/Ramathibodi, Siriraj)--but the decor and food are 1950s in some wards.

Eddy

• Like 1

Well I did have a comprehensive policy with a foreign company, who had a SEA policy.

(Think of the current month).

After 1.5 years they seriously bumped up the premium and I decided to look elsewhere, asking my broker for alternatives.

I have just received a letter from them 'cancelling my policy, asking for the payment of last years coverage premium, a late payment charge and mentioning of setting debt collectors after me'......

In the intervening 16 months, I had found an alternative insurance, and had even made a successful claim with the alternative company.

Be sure to formally cancel is perhaps good advice, do not assume you broker will do it, and I wonder if they would have honoured my claim for that year had I made one!

Well I did have a comprehensive policy with a foreign company, who had a SEA policy.

(Think of the current month).

After 1.5 years they seriously bumped up the premium and I decided to look elsewhere, asking my broker for alternatives.

I have just received a letter from them 'cancelling my policy, asking for the payment of last years coverage premium, a late payment charge and mentioning of setting debt collectors after me'......

In the intervening 16 months, I had found an alternative insurance, and had even made a successful claim with the alternative company.

Be sure to formally cancel is perhaps good advice, do not assume you broker will do it, and I wonder if they would have honoured my claim for that year had I made one!

I know this company (month) and i had a quote there, finally after 2 months they said i was accepted with only ONE exclusion 'exclusion of ALL deseases' even the future ones. So they want me to pay for the full package with only

some PA as coverage!

They are criminals ...

Edited by Jack Mountain
  • Like 1

I wonder if health insurance is worth it. Because I find some government hospitals better than private ones. They are very cheap but speak very little English

In the recent past I have had to make use of the government hospitals in Hua Hin and Pranburi .... although the buildings are little old, many areas are not air conditioned, and air conditioned areas not very cool, I could not find fault with the professionalism of the medical staff and the quality of their work.

• Like 1

I went with Bupa before turning 60 and only for the in-patient as the outpatient policy premium was more than the maximum insured amount. I explained this to the rep and her supervisor. Asking how can you call it insurance if my annual premium is higher than your maximum insurance payout. Her only response was nobody has said that before, and up to me, no want then no take.

clap2.gif

• Like 1

My wife and I retired here in November, we were going to choose Bupa, but they can cancel your policy at any time, and they don't cover much, after talking to the Thai's we choose Thai Life Insurance which is medical also, much cheaper than Bupa, and they can't cancel you, and they will insure you up to 90 years old. Check it out.

My wife and I retired here in November, we were going to choose Bupa, but they can cancel your policy at any time, and they don't cover much, after talking to the Thai's we choose Thai Life Insurance which is medical also, much cheaper than Bupa, and they can't cancel you, and they will insure you up to 90 years old. Check it out.

we choose Thai Life Insurance

Can you read and write Thai?

Sounds to me as if you are talking about, Thai Prakan Chewit, they dont sell medical insurance, they sell some sort of crap cassaurance, an investment vehicle, eg pay into this for the next 20 years and we will give you back peanuts.

Insure you up to age 90?

I watch Thai tv everyday and the cut off appears to be 75 years.

Please give the cost for two people aged 89 years old for first class in patient insurance.

Sounds to me as if you are talking about, Thai Prakan Chewit, they dont sell medical insurance, they sell some sort of crap cassaurance, an investment vehicle, eg pay into this for the next 20 years and we will give you back peanuts.

Insure you up to age 90?

Please give the cost for two people aged 89 years old for first class in patient insurance.

Believe Patrick Mills referred to Thai Life Insurance = Muang Thai Life Insurance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muang_Thai_Life_Assurance

The company website is (unfortunately) in Thai language only:

http://www.muangthai.co.th/ecampaign/

Insure you up to age 90?

Believe Patrick Mills referred to Thai Life Insurance = Muang Thai Life Insurance:

Thai Life has nothing to do with Muang Life which is a smaller companay and very 'Thai'.

Thai Life is one of the largest and most respected of the LIfe companies in Thailand and does offer English : Web site HERE

What can be confusing is Thai Life has 2 sister companies, one of them being Thai Health which as the name suggests is a Health insurance provider and one we have many happy customers insured with.

• Like 1

Insure you up to age 90?

Thai Life has nothing to do with Muang Life which is a smaller companay and very 'Thai'.

Thai Life is one of the largest and most respected of the LIfe companies in Thailand and does offer English : Web site HERE

What can be confusing is Thai Life has 2 sister companies, one of them being Thai Health which as the name suggests is a Health insurance provider and one we have many happy customers insured with.

Thanks for clearing that. When searching for Thai life insurance the Wikipedia page referring to Muang Thai Life pops up…
Presume then, that http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/index_eng.php is the health part, Thai Health Insurance Public Company Limited.
I’ve been looking at that company before, as they seemed to have a reasonable coverage for an affordable fee – especially I found the Maxi Healthy a very interesting option, which I have mentioned before in a tread about health insurance.
For those who don’t know, Maxi Healthy has a “self risk” or deductible amount of some 10 percent in the insured coverage, making it attractive if you have good health, can afford some bills yourself, and for a reasonable price wish some extra coverage for “worst case scenario”. Eligible to apply for the first year coverage from 15 days up to 65 years of age, renewable up to 80 years of age์.
I tried to apply online on their web-site, tried to contact the company by E-mail and phone, been promised all the time someone will contact me – however never heard anything back, E-mail or phone, so unfortunately I gave up. If it is that difficult to buy something and give them my money, what will it be like if I have an accident and need their help…? sad.png
Hopefully others have better experience… whistling.gif

I tried to apply online on their web-site, tried to contact the company by E-mail and phone, been promised all the time someone will contact me – however never heard anything back, E-mail or phone, so unfortunately I gave up. If it is that difficult to buy something and give them my money, what will it be like if I have an accident and need their help…?

May we suggest the next time you are looking for (any) insurance you contact us direct ? We can respond quickly and we speak English

www.aainsure.net wai2.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if health insurance is worth it. Because I find some government hospitals better than private ones. They are very cheap but speak very little English

I agree. The private hospitals on Phuket charge astronomical fees, even the Bangkok International charges many times more than the same hospital in Bangkok. However, having witnessed what passes for patient care, (particularly at the Vachira) in the government hospitals (albeit surgery very good), wonder if anyone on Phuket has had any experience with The Mission Hospital? Semi private, I believe.