Medical Insurance while Living in Thailand

crazyfalang

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve been looking at that company before, as they seemed to have a reasonable coverage for an affordable fee – especially I found the Maxi Healthy a very interesting option, which I have mentioned before in a tread about health insurance.
For those who don’t know, Maxi Healthy has a “self risk” or deductible amount of some 10 percent in the insured coverage, making it attractive if you have good health, can afford some bills yourself, and for a reasonable price wish some extra coverage for “worst case scenario”. Eligible to apply for the first year coverage from 15 days up to 65 years of age, renewable up to 80 years of age์.
I tried to apply online on their web-site, tried to contact the company by E-mail and phone, been promised all the time someone will contact me – however never heard anything back, E-mail or phone, so unfortunately I gave up. If it is that difficult to buy something and give them my money, what will it be like if I have an accident and need their help…? sad.png
Hopefully others have better experience… whistling.gif
I emailed Thai Life requesting a local contact and AA Insurance contacted me the next day.
Also note the Maxi Health plan has 10% deductible you must pay before any coverage starts and then it will only pay 90% of "eligible expenses". For example if you have the 600K plan you have to pay 60,000 baht cash up front for any hospital stay and then they would only pay 90% of the balance (I think) plus I don't understand how the "room and board with nursing charges" works, it is confusing as well. The Maxi Plan details are written in a very clumsy confusing way. I am still trying to figure the best/least costly coverage, but looks like Wealthy Healthy maybe the way to go as it has a "major medical" rider that picks up additional costs in addition to the surgical and doctor fees etc. It would be nice to have someone explain these plans that is fluent in English and has experience in the industry...
  • Like 1

. It would be nice to have someone explain these plans that is fluent in English and has experience in the industry...

Hire a broker, that is one of the things they do for you. Don't try to do complicated things you know nothing about, like this, yourself.

Also note the Maxi Health plan has 10% deductible you must pay before any coverage starts and then it will only pay 90% of "eligible expenses". For example if you have the 600K plan you have to pay 60,000 baht cash up front for any hospital stay and then they would only pay 90% of the balance

This seems very unlikely to me BTW.

I wonder if health insurance is worth it. Because I find some government hospitals better than private ones. They are very cheap but speak very little English

I agree. The private hospitals on Phuket charge astronomical fees, even the Bangkok International charges many times more than the same hospital in Bangkok. However, having witnessed what passes for patient care, (particularly at the Vachira) in the government hospitals (albeit surgery very good), wonder if anyone on Phuket has had any experience with The Mission Hospital? Semi private, I believe.

My friend has had two operations at Mission hospital(Phuket, they are excellent and cheaper than the others!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 4 weeks later...

Got AA Insurance information in timely manner, with interesting premiums; so they could be a good initial option to consider for a retired, faring resident me thinks.

Edited by TerrylSky

• 3 weeks later...

LMG Ultra Care looks interesting especially when compared to Thai Health.

http://www.lmgpacific.com/misc/media/download/Health_Insurance_Brochures-Mega_Series.pdf

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_wealthy_eng.php

For example, 51-55 year old, 20,000,000 THB cover, with OPD, most items are covered 100% including in and out-patient cancer treatment. LMG price is 83,495 THB plus government taxes.

If I compare to Thai Health's Wealthy Healthy, cover is 2,400,000 per disability/time/year. (it is not clear what the total maximum cover is). Most items are capped, eg surgeon's fee at 180,000. OPD cover is 120,000 per year and 3,000 per day. With OPD price is 90,876.

LMG looks far better value. Anyone with experience of claiming with this company?

BUPA does have a world-wide policy for the well-heeled, but it starts at around USD 8,000 a year. I guess the others do too. I heard of one called New Zealand Pacific which pays everything anywhere anytime, but you need to be wealthy to afford it.

I have 'Worldwide Health Options' from BUPA International and it costs about $2000 a year but I did take it out in my late 30's so perhaps that accounts for the difference. This includes the worldwide medical evacuation cover which was available as an optional extra. I got the highest level of cover available at the time.

I've never used it so I have no idea how they perform in an emergency situation but I keep the membership card in my wallet in the hope that the correct person sees it if I ever need it.

If you go with them or any other Thai provider, be sure to get the highest level cover. For some reason most policies are at a ridiculously low level. (will not be an issue with a policy issued in the West). And steer clear of life insurance companies offering "health insurance" as a sideline.

I looked very hard at this before I came over it seemed to me there were a few problems with insurance companies here relating to levels of cover, and a reputation that they may not payout either at the time or at all.

I can't remember what the maximum cover was with the Thai companies I found, but compared to their European equivilants it was very small. I have a policy that covers every country in the world apart from North America, it includes long term conditions, and has a maximum cover in theory per claim of around, from memory, six million USD. It's from AXA and costs £140 per month and I pay it in the UK, I'm 48 and in good general health. So far I have had to claim once, I didn't even see a bill as they dealt directly with Bangkok Hopsital.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

• 3 weeks later...

If you go with them or any other Thai provider, be sure to get the highest level cover. For some reason most policies are at a ridiculously low level. (will not be an issue with a policy issued in the West). And steer clear of life insurance companies offering "health insurance" as a sideline.

I looked very hard at this before I came over it seemed to me there were a few problems with insurance companies here relating to levels of cover, and a reputation that they may not payout either at the time or at all.

I can't remember what the maximum cover was with the Thai companies I found, but compared to their European equivilants it was very small. I have a policy that covers every country in the world apart from North America, it includes long term conditions, and has a maximum cover in theory per claim of around, from memory, six million USD. It's from AXA and costs £140 per month and I pay it in the UK, I'm 48 and in good general health. So far I have had to claim once, I didn't even see a bill as they dealt directly with Bangkok Hopsital.

SDM

140 pound per month is astranomical?