Cruel or irresponsible and stupid Songkran jerks?

willyumiii

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My major Songkran hate too.

Years ago had a local run out onto a major 6 lane highway and hurl a bucket of water in my face. Absolute cretin.

Cost me a 12,000 bht pair of prescription sunglasses that were knocked off and smashed.

Lesson learned was to wear a full-face and not open-face helmet.

Hmmm? I thought the lesson learned would be to remain at home -- send someone else to run your errands, or just defer them till after Songkran.

Just stay away form the majority of Westerners during Songkran and I reckon you'll have a blast.

Thai folk 'play Songkran', many Westerns just think that the object to get the other person/people wet,

they treat it as a contest ... not a game.

That's the difference between Thailand and the west. Thais treat life as a game. Westerners treat it as a contest.

Years ago had a local run out onto a major 6 lane highway and hurl a bucket of water in my face. Absolute cretin.

Cost me a 12,000 bht pair of prescription sunglasses that were knocked off and smashed.

Hmmm? I thought the lesson learned would be to remain at home -- send someone else to run your errands, or just defer them till after Songkran.

I'm not one to put others at risk nor will I be a prisoner in my own home.

Care to explain your thoughts on a person who runs out onto a motorway to throw a bucket of water in the face of a motorcyclist?

Though tourists are the biggest idiots and jerks in Songkran, I always find it's the Thais who mainly will target the motorcyclists.

Absolute idiocy!

I always dread it but end up enjoying it, will do it for one day this year, if I avoid the tourist areas. Can handle the water, but not the ice or klong water.

And please….. no b******y powder!!!! Why do they use that, it's so annoying?

In the past...

Monks would GENTLY pour water down the necks of WILLING passer-by's (no motor vehicles in those days) as relief from intense seasonal heat which coincided with a lunar festival.

Today...

Unwritten law states that you can not travel during Songkraan without risk of serious injury, death or witness to. Unwritten law states that over songkraan the roads cease to be roads and become some kind of carnival play ground.

Nothing wrong with water games for those going for it. But bar-girls all over Thailand seem to particularly enjoy soaking any and all farang males with water, whether they are drunken tourists in Pattaya or western business men in Bangkok . Perhaps they see it as a small but indiscriminate "revenge" of sorts (?).

Nothing wrong with water games for those going for it. But bar-girls all over Thailand seem to particularly enjoy soaking any and all farang males with water, whether they are drunken tourists in Pattaya or western business men in Bangkok . Perhaps they see it as a small but indiscriminate "revenge" of sorts (?).

the bars that get few to no customers seem to be the biggest offenders. Translation- unsightly women. Once they get you in sight you have no chance...............lol.

I have to be in Thailand this Songkran. I barely survived it in Patong, and I survived it in Chiang Mai. I hope it will be ok in Hua Hin.

GK, you should be in the right company going on your namesake, a large proportion of the tourists in Hua Hin are elderly!

It seems to me, that more and more people are "playing" Songkran out of pure frustration and meaning to hurt people.

Had to do a brief taxi stint yesterday. An all Thai suburb of BKK.

Noticed two things. Along the start of a highway section there were two groups of young males. Both were trying to knock motosai riders off their bikes.

Secondly, the birth rate for the middle of January must be double what it normally is. All the 14-17 yr olds out, half naked, drunk, wet, having sanook and feeling eachother up.

• Like 1

Just stay away form the majority of Westerners during Songkran and I reckon you'll have a blast.

Thai folk 'play Songkran', many Westerns just think that the object to get the other person/people wet,

they treat it as a contest ... not a game.

I take it you haven't spent many Songkrans in Thailand.

The term bring your own whiskey and homemade machete could well sum up many Thai towns during Songran.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548283-3-murders-as-songkran-in-thailand-turns-ugly/

"Three vicious murders marred Songkran celebrations in separate incidents around the country yesterday.

In one, a 58-year-old man in Chumphon was clubbed to death by a drunken reveller for objecting to being drenched with water.

In another case in Bangkok, an underage member of an illegal motorcycle gang was shot dead and four others wounded when a rival gang opened fire after a Silom Road water fight turned deadly.

And in Satun, a man knifed a drunken reveller to death for allegedly molesting his sister during a water fight."

And that was just one day, Thais clubbed to death, knifed to death, shot to death.

Watch the Channel 3 or 7 news during Songkran and you'll see videos of Thais attacking each other with clubs, machetes and any other weapons that were close to hand.

It's called lao khao, Hong Thong and Regency with a dash of soda and m150.

Then throw in a Mor lum or 2...

Quite a disgrace really.