Motorbike rental passport leads to Phuket arrest of Spanish nunchuk mugger

webfact

Any guesses on how much time in the clink this moron will get, or just deportation? Big fine?

He's a pretty big guy and all that, but if that clown approached me at an ATM and told me to hand over money and my phone, etc......based on showing me a set of nunchuks, I'd probably laugh my arse off and say "what, are you freaking kidding me?"

yeah, sure you would. sure you would.

Some guy who looks smaller than I am, holding a pair of sticks, is going to threaten me and steal my hard-earned cash?

I will say it again, but this time to you; ''what, are you freaking kidding me?"

Edited by Deaw

What is with the finger pointing. I have to assume these tourists were coached by the newspaper photographer - too funny.

Everyone here keeps making fun of the way Thai police take pictures of the victims pointing at the accused.

Hard to argue with a picture showing the victim pointing to the perpetrator in Court. Actually pretty smart for them to do so. Pictures hold up in Court better than the statements do when the "victim" (most likely a tourist) has gone back home and not available to testify. Statements can also be in the victims native language and often the translations can be wrong giving the criminal a way out.

Now just because they point at you doesn't mean your guilty either! Many cases of mistaken identity. To some people all Asians look the same as is the same for all Asians looking at foreigners. So what do you do? In this case he plead guilty and got caught.

I wonder which is the more serious charge: armed theft at nighttime or armed theft at daytime?

Normally it is related to night time burglary being the more serious offense as that there is a higher likely hood that someone will be at home and as such greater chance of a dangerous confrontation. Guess it carries over to just armed theft also.

Any guesses on how much time in the clink this moron will get, or just deportation? Big fine?

He's a pretty big guy and all that, but if that clown approached me at an ATM and told me to hand over money and my phone, etc......based on showing me a set of nunchuks, I'd probably laugh my arse off and say "what, are you freaking kidding me?"

Followed by 'OUCH-here you are'

If I read this right, the rental shop should be nicked for holding passports, or has that stuff now been swept under the carpet.

Why, by which law is that not allowed?

International law, for one. It is written in the passport that it remains the property of the issuing government and must only be passed to an unauthorised person......plus the law of stupidity says never hand over your passport for a rental agreement. coffee1.gif on another note....what is Spanish for Som Nom Nar?giggle.gif

Think you mean "and must NEVER be passed to an unauthorised person......"

Thank you for that, it was a looooong daythumbsup.gif or.......I could lie and say I was trying to see who would spot it first....giggle.gif Happy and safe Songkran all.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Truly astonishing. So many posts here condemning this guy, based solely on a newspaper article, before he has even been to court. Don't any of you come from countries where the presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial are cornerstones of the legal system? Or are you all of the mentality that holds that ' iif t's in the media it must be true'? Shameful lack of objectivity.

If I read this right, the rental shop should be nicked for holding passports, or has that stuff now been swept under the carpet.

Bit of an obtuse way of looking at a report of nothing but good news?

Bit of an obtuse way of looking at a report of nothing but good news?

If you say so, but to me the passport issue is something that should be dealt with in LOS, and is perhaps more important as in resent weeks we have seen dodgy folk buying passports for their dodgy deeds. As we now know that dodgy folk were on the missing 777.

Truly astonishing. So many posts here condemning this guy, based solely on a newspaper article, before he has even been to court. Don't any of you come from countries where the presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial are cornerstones of the legal system? Or are you all of the mentality that holds that ' iif t's in the media it must be true'? Shameful lack of objectivity.

The posts you are reading are the opinions of various members not some written article in a constitution. While I would venture that most members do believe in "innocent til proven guilty" there is a certain amount of public proof in the fact that victim has pointed out the attacker and evidence was found in his room, that belies the laws of possibility that he is innocent.

I also think that it may be considered that your mentality statement is a bit off in coming on this forum with your first post and demeaning the 'mentality' of long time posters. Good net manners may be better served by earning your spurs before castigating others.

..... and how many hours have you been in Thailand now to gain all your knowledge on Thai ways and means

Before you fly off the handle this is meant constructively....

Excellent comment...but only if you disregard that he accepted the charge against him, i.e. admitted the robbery, in which case it is a shameful lack of comprehension on your part.

International law, for one. It is written in the passport that it remains the property of the issuing government and must only be passed to an unauthorised person......plus the law of stupidity says never hand over your passport for a rental agreement. coffee1.gif on another note....what is Spanish for Som Nom Nar?giggle.gif

I know it's not allowed. But many tourists get duped into leaving their passport as there are many bike shops that just won't give it with just a copy. I guess when they've been to three of them they get fed up and think "what the heck". But you are right: do NOT leave the original, just a copy. This should be enough.

• Like 1

I know it's not allowed. But many tourists get duped into leaving their passport as there are many bike shops that just won't give it with just a copy. I guess when they've been to three of them they get fed up and think "what the heck". But you are right: do NOT leave the original, just a copy. This should be enough.

Its not the information that is on the passport that the renter wants its the security of you returning with his bike. A passport copy is worthless, but you cannot leave without your passport. With just a copy, you could leave the bike anywhere after a couple days over use and having your passport you are able to leave the country. Not the info is wanted , the security is what they want.

What is with the finger pointing. I have to assume these tourists were coached by the newspaper photographer - too <deleted>nny.

Everyone here keeps making <deleted>n of the way Thai police take pictures of the victims pointing at the accused.

Hard to argue with a picture showing the victim pointing to the perpetrator in Court. Actually pretty smart for them to do so. Pictures hold up in Court better than the statements do when the "victim" (most likely a tourist) has gone back home and not available to testify. Statements can also be in the victims native language and often the translations can be wrong giving the criminal a way out.

Now just because they point at you doesn't mean your guilty either! Many cases of mistaken identity. To some people all Asians look the same as is the same for all Asians looking at foreigners. So what do you do? In this case he plead guilty and got caught.

Yeah fine, like a line-up. BUT what happens if everybody in the jury saw the article. It's biased.

What is with the finger pointing. I have to assume these tourists were coached by the newspaper photographer - too <deleted>nny.

Everyone here keeps making <deleted>n of the way Thai police take pictures of the victims pointing at the accused.

Yeah fine, like a line-up. BUT what happens if everybody in the jury saw the article. It's biased.

That's true...can't argue with that. It shouldn't be posted on the paper, period. Same as names and address's of witnesses and worse yet victims of rape. That's where the problem is.

That's true...can't argue with that. It shouldn't be posted on the paper, period. Same as names and address's of witnesses and worse yet victims of rape. That's where the problem is.

There is no jury system in Thailand.

He admitted guilt. Also, the presumption of innocence is for a court of law, not public opinion. Being innocent in the eyes of the law can be quite different than not having done the dirty deed.