Dogs killing neighbors ducks....Help!

Hi folks!

I have three dogs and up until recently, they've been well behaved. However, a couple of days ago one of my dogs killed a neighbor's duck, and the following day the other two followed her along and they killed and ate another one. We followed and caught them the last time and beat the crap out of them. This morning though, they all headed off in the direction of our neighbor's pond but the neighbor chased them away. We paid the neighbor for the loss of the ducks, but I really need to break them of this habit or someone is going to shoot them. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

If they run loose, breaking them of chasing chickens or ducks is next to impossible unless you are with them all of the time. The first thing that you need to do is put them in an enclosed space where they can't get out and chase them. The other choice is to tie them. I have 9 Thai mutts and when they were pups they all wanted to chase chickens,. I've broken all but one of the habit, but one continues to chase them so I have to either keep him in an enclosed area or on a leash. I walk them everyday, 8 free run, and one on a leash. If I let the one on the leash go he will chase the chickens and all 8 of the others will join in.

• Like 1

ours was 1yr.old when we got him and part of the reason why the owner gave him to us was that he was killing the aunties chickens.we had him and found that someone had been firing a catapult at him and this made him go nuts so I broke it up infront of him,he would shake the tree's in the garden that birds were nesting in and he got many of those ring doves,i cured him by standing alongside one and telling him not to touch,this worked,also I had his balls cut this quieted him down.he will still attack a rate or snake,but he will not touch a cat.

but to beat the crap out of him makes you a --------- coward and don't deserve to have dogs in your care.

some love and some patience and proper training wouldn't go astray,or give them to someone who would.

taffy the dog.

• Like 1

Still got the dead ducks? Ty them around the neck of the dogs in such a way that they cannot get rid of it.

Leave the dogs alone and the dead ducks in place for a day or two-three. They will never even look at a duck again and just the smell of them will make them take a detour. Cruel? Maybe, but you have a bunch of killers now and they acquired the taste to do so, It takes harsh methods to get rid of that "taste".

Packs are worse than a single dog, no individual training will really do.

I tried it and it didn't work.

I left the chicken around my dogs neck until it rotted and he still kills them.

he eats the chickens he kills though so maybe that is the reason.

we had a yam on our mooban bring a chicken to work every day yet ours wouldn't touch it,i think he is different not like other loved ones.

op.they will not forget the beating you gave them so you had better start telling them you do love them every hr.of every day with plenty of treats nothing of the duck variety or their day will come.

A thread close to my heart http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717164-village-justice/ sadly it seems that once a dog gets the taste of blood and thrill of the chase it's incredibly difficult to break him of it.

Good luck, I wouldn't wish some of the solutions being suggested in my thread on your dog.

My dog is killing my own chickens so i am trying to figure out how to stop him.

I don't much like the idea of keeping him a cage for the rest of his life but I am getting to that point.

I read your thread before though and if someone kills my dog for killing their chickens I won't be mad.

What really ticks me off about the whole thing though is my dog lived with chickens for over 5 years without bothering them at all.

Then about a year ago we moved to another area and the neighbor dogs came in one day. they killed 7 turkeys and 14 chickens. then a couple of months later they came in and killed another 20+ chickens and 9 ducks.

i am sure my dog joined in on the slaughter. now every once in a while he kills one of the birds and eats it even though he has plenty of dog food. i guess he gets bored of dried dog food.

Every time he kills one i lock him up in a cage for a few days. Now when he does something wrong he runs and hides when he sees me for a day. That is how I know to go look for a new chicken he has killed.

Go to Big C ,buy a frozen duck,beat the dog with the frozen duck until it is completely unfrozen .

If this does not help put your dog in the freezer,for a week or so ,that will cool him down !

To show your neighbor that you are really sorry ,buy him a gun and ask him to shoot your dogs

whenever they run loose on his property.

And now it's coffee time coffee1.gif

• Like 2

you can stop then chasing the ducks ... talk to them about how wrong it is to be killing the neighbours ducks and that you are completely at your end's wit as to what to do ... tell them next time they do this it's the finish for them and then show em how your gunna react ...

Breaking a dog from killing chickens or ducks after they kill the first one is like breaking a man from cheating on his wife. Almost impossible. You will need to fence the dogs in.

A bit of topic but worth noting: Farmers use a lot of rat poison pellets that will quickly and very painfully kill your dogs if you let them free range. We lost our dog and the neighbors lost a few on a single day last year after such an episode. We have a new dog now and she is restrained at all times. Farmers came by a few weeks ago to tell us that they were putting snail poison in the rice field water and that it was very dangerous to dogs. Lots of hazards for dogs in Thailand besides letting them get into the habit of duck and chicken killing, which might lead to an intentional poisoning if left unchecked.

• Like 1

Take them for a walk near the Ducks, if they look the least bit aggressive, muzzel them and leave it on for a week or so, only take it off when you feed them, they will get the idea after awhile.whistling.gif

• Like 1

I have lost 18 dogs over the years to them being shot or poisoned. You can't argue when they eat the chickens, but some I know did not. Lucky for me the guy killing the dogs has lost his job and moved away. I tried everything. In the end I bought chickens and kept them myself. Dogs and chickens ran free. I eventually got them to live together. They were new puppies and old dog that did not chase. But I had to lock up the chickens when I went away or the dogs would eat the chickens when the chickens ate the dogs food.

Recently the dogs have started chasing cattle when I am away from the house on a walk with them. I have electric collars that I use to train them not to chase the cattle. The collars beep before giving them a slight shock which is variable. They soon learn and will respond to the beep without the shock. You need to catch them early before they start the chase. The idea is to distract them. They eventually learn.

I could not find anywhere in Thailand selling the collars and ordered them from the UK. I recommend you do not use British Dog as they tend to go bust and then get taken over by somebody who looks exactly he same. I had a faulty transmitter battery and they would not replace under warranty, but luckily PetSafe replaced the battery.

They would however still chase ducks. This was usually when I was walking to a nearby friends house. Then I would use a catapult to discourage them. I do think this is cruel, it is the Thai country way to train dogs. I think, where I live, if they do not learn, they are eaten. Problem solved . Not that I condone this in any way.

Edited by Toany

Dogs that kill poultry cannot be "cured"

Choices are !

1. Euthanise the offending dogs

2. Chain the brutes .

3. Muzzle at all times except when being fed whist chained and actively supervised

WRONG! Ihad a Australian kelpie dingo cross. Can be very sneaky any snappy.

Killed my chickens. I tied the dog up with food and water with the dead chickens just out of reach for a whole day.

Every now and then I would go,out a scream no no,no at the dog and bang a shoe on,the ground and lift and wave the dead chook showing the dog.

The dog knew I was angry and it had done wrong.

This worked and we never lost another chicken in 15 years.

If your dog is dumb. No chance this will work. Dogs are all different but if a killer or aggressive breed like a pit bull cross you have no hope.

Killing is in their genes

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

And then there is Technology......

Even Caesar Milan uses this!!!

You buy a remote control shocking collar.

You go to the pond with the dog and let it run free.

You speak controls with instructions to leave the duck alone.

Then every time the dog moves in a "wrong" direction, you shout the control and press the button and the dog gets a shock.

You can get remote collars where the length of time you touch the button determines the strength of the shock.

You can teach an old dog new tricks, even dumb ones learn PDQ.

It took Caesar Milan a few mins to cure a dog of molesting a tractor! Maybe you can find the program on youtube?

You can even get them where a box is connected to a wire that you run round the "containment area".

If the dog gets too close to the wire - shock.

If the dog runs at speed at the wire BIG shock!

You can buy spare collars, move them from dog to dog.

Good Luck.

Breaking a dog from killing chickens or ducks after they kill the first one is like breaking a man from cheating on his wife. Almost impossible. You will need to fence the dogs in.

not impossible give um the chopw00t.gif it worked for me.

I had a dog that killed everything that moved. The garden is a cats graveyard, all the neighbours chickens he killed were champion fighting cocks according to their owners (it ups the compensation) rats in abundance as well as snakes. I hung the chickens around his neck which he carried like trophies. I gave him a severe talking to regarding the chickens, but he seemed to ignore me. At least I was not woken up at the crack of dawn by rampant cocks! He liked farangs in an instant but anyone wearing local attire he regarded as potential thieves and murderers.I don't know why? Early last year he just disappeared. He was getting on in years and had lost a lot of his teeth but could still inflict a nasty suck and still barked at the motorcyclists who whanged past our gate. Did someone bump him off? was he kidnapped to a dog eating area? or did he just say "I'm off. I've had enough"! and flee the scene? Like similar human disappearances, the ones left behind are the ones with unanswered questions. All you can say is "It was good while it lasted" rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

They are your dogs...you are responsible for their behavior...either fence them in...or tie them to a dog run within your yard...do not allow them to run amok...it reflects upon you and your family...not a good thing...

darn just wrote an entire thing and it got deleted by me..

however,

chicken/car/bycycle chasing is similar to gambling in people. it is an addiciton, and not just behavioral (cognitive) training can help. enough that you work and work with the dog, but one time, he is loose and there is a walking or flapping chicken, and zoooom, the dog is out on the chase again.

when u start training not to chase, u have to never never ever let the dog loose even once, as if there is temptation nearby, then u have to start all over again. and everytime a dog chases and catches the prey, it just reinforces the predator instinct which is already there, genetically programmed to be used. some dogs are more chasers then otehrs, as they ahve the genetics. its part of the obsessive/compulsive actions of certain breeds, just like alcoholism or gambling in people. a dog that has been weaned from chicken chasing, if put in an area with chickens wont chase until another dog starts to chase and then the click! in the dog's brain goes switch, and they go in for the chase again.

muzzling when out with u to protec them, leashes all the time. all the time. all the time. so they never get the urge to chase rewarded by actually chasing and catching. electronic collars same same. they quickly learn that when collar is on, no chasing. when collar is off, can chase.

coop up the birds.

my lhasa bitch and her pups ate our last batch of gai shon chicks that we had to keep in the salon due to cold weather and no incubator for them. they literally broke the accordion door in the salon/gallery area to get to the chicks.

the male knows not to chase but the third dog, a pup, really went all out yhesterday as my two white leghorns broke out of their coop ... their flapping and squawking got three lhasas chasing the birds. fortunately, the chickens arent that dumb and went in where the dogs ouldnt get to htem and i returned them to their coop.

hubby , like most thais, feels that the dogs shoudl be fenced in and the chickens free roaming. my kibbutz feels that dogs should run free and there should be no chickens or at least the few chickens (pets) should be cooped. so hubby got huffy and moved his chickens to a friend's yard. and my hens are cooped in a lovely pink coop.

hitting a dog with a chicken, beating him, throwing shoes... none of it will work. either u raise a dog with the chickens, or tie the dogs or coop the chickens.

btw its not the taste of blood. for most dogs its the actual physical chasing. the flapping squawking triggers the predator instinct. same as a small baby on the floor screaming.. triggers predator instinct in the best of dogs.

pugs are much less likely to go after a hen then a dog with a high predator/prey instinct.

btw, it differs from breed to breed. easier to stop some breeds then othes. try to stop a jack russel from hen chasing... amost impossible. a pug isnt likely to even bother to chase a chicken.

• 11 months later...