Cheapest Charlie

ZigZagMan

It is an outrageous price for an item they likely pay 5 baht to source ... coffee1.gif

It's high. For Thailand. In Paris water goes for more than that.

They are targeting international, Marriott class customers.

The walk in rate for the Marriott is 12,000 - 20,000baht. a night.

Most of their customers probably have no idea, or care of the cost of beverages there.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is an outrageous price for an item they likely pay 5 baht to source ... coffee1.gif

The walk in rate for the Marriott is 12,000 - 20,000baht. a night.

Most of their customers probably have no idea, or care of the cost of beverages there.

In Paris, their source price is higher. We are not in Paris. End of.

It's OK ... they are basically filtering out value seekers like me.

I am willing to be ripped off on drinks but only if someplace is offering something I really have to have.

They aren't.

Edited by Jingthing

I know a guy who lives around Pattaya and he looks for free meetings and gatherings where free tea, coffee, snacks and food are offered. He then attends the meetings claiming an interest and fills his belly as much as he can,

He attends support groups, church fellowships groups even AA meetings.

I see him when we have get togethers at my house. nice guy overall but we all know he is only there for 1 reason and thats to eat and drink for free as much as possible.

before you ask he does have an income, not a huge income but certainly enough to live and feed himself.

His view is that his sole purpose in life is to "save money and live on as little as possible" (his words.)

i think that qualifies

Dicey Reilly's charges 350B for their Sunday carvery and a staggering 80B for a small bottle of water.

I don't think I have ever heard the words 'staggering' and '80Baht' mentioned in the same sentence before.

So you think that a probable 1000% mark-up on cost price isn't staggering? How odd. Maybe you have not yet learned that percentages are everything when it comes to finance; the actual value of the amounts involved is irrelevant.

When comparing the price of their small water bottle with the price of one of their more expensive meals (nearly 25%) the extent of the rip-off becomes even more clear. But you probably cant see that either.

Actually it is a legal obligation for French restaurants to provide drinking water with meals for free. Even if one did buy a small bottle of water in a Paris restaurant this would not represent 20+% of the cost of a normal meal, nor would it represent a 1000% mark-up on cost.

Somehow I suspect that you have never actually been to Dicey Reilly's in Pattaya. I doubt that many people staying at the Marriot go there either, except maybe by accident.

What the hell does poor old Paris have to do in this. Why don't you bring in Sydney, New York, London etc etc.

Thanks Kittenkong. I was about to make the same remark. I have lived in France for over 30 years and I have never paid for my water (which I don't drink) yet. Likewise I do not pay for the basket of bread put on the table.

As far as the Hilton etc. They would look ridiculous selling water at 5-10 baht. You pay for the name. Mind you at that level of hotel, one would think that the water would be free. As I am on a monthly rental, even my GH in CM give me the first bottle free.

People - been reading through this thread- there MUST be more to life than saving 10 baht on water or whatever . Have worked for so many years- I intend to die broke- ( that concept of the family gathering around the lawyer to hear how many millions they will inherit- has gone- there will be nothing left) and also have made a promise that I will never turn right on a plane ever again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Actually it is a legal obligation for French restaurants to provide drinking water with meals for free. Even if one did buy a small bottle of water in a Paris restaurant this would not represent 20+% of the cost of a normal meal, nor would it represent a 1000% mark-up on cost.

I'm not sure if it's the law where I'm from in the US, but I've never been to a restaurant that didn't have free tap water if you wanted it.

Here, cheap Thai restaurants will usually have free water too. Filtered, and sometimes made in to a tea. Sometimes they charge a couple baht for a cup of ice, sometimes not. Farang restaurants of course never offer this service.

What the hell does poor old Paris have to do in this. Why don't you bring in Sydney, New York, London etc etc.

Thanks Kittenkong. I was about to make the same remark. I have lived in France for over 30 years and I have never paid for my water (which I don't drink) yet. Likewise I do not pay for the basket of bread put on the table.

As far as the Hilton etc. They would look ridiculous selling water at 5-10 baht. You pay for the name. Mind you at that level of hotel, one would think that the water would be free. As I am on a monthly rental, even my GH in CM give me the first bottle free.

If you are not paying for the water and bread who is?

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

And six members liked this crap and cheapest charlie post.

Well.

I can't decide who is the cheapest charlie?

- the pumpui mao baa man, who OFTEN takes HIS OWN WATER to bars and venues and saves up at least 20 - 30 B per 600 ml water,

or

- the chinese population here in BKK, cause they can f@kk the goat for 0.5 B.

But my single question is:

Why do you go to a bar, or to any venue at all ??? You may buy your drink in Makro (big pack = big save), you listen your OWN music at home, and your TH wife (sorry for her) can dance to you, AND EVERYTHING IS FREE !

MAN don't waste your money!

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

And six members liked this crap and cheapest charlie post.

Well.

I can't decide who is the cheapest charlie?

- the pumpui mao baa man, who OFTEN takes HIS OWN WATER to bars and venues and saves up at least 20 - 30 B per 600 ml water,

or

- the chinese population here in BKK, cause they can f@kk the goat for 0.5 B.

But my single question is:

Why do you go to a bar, or to any venue at all ??? You may buy your drink in Makro (big pack = big save), you listen your OWN music at home, and your TH wife (sorry for her) can dance to you, AND EVERYTHING IS FREE !

MAN don't waste your money!

Get's my vote Loles, two years in Thailand now 1st one learning the 2nd enjoying (on a low income for most), still have a problem not leaving 10% tip when I have a proper night out (but Thai wife keeps me straight ;)

I know a guy who lives around Pattaya and he looks for free meetings and gatherings where free tea, coffee, snacks and food are offered. He then attends the meetings claiming an interest and fills his belly as much as he can,

I see him when we have get togethers at my house. nice guy overall but we all know he is only there for 1 reason and thats to eat and drink for free as much as possible.

before you ask he does have an income, not a huge income but certainly enough to live and feed himself.

His view is that his sole purpose in life is to "save money and live on as little as possible" (his words.)

i think that qualifies

He needs some physiatric help, really.

i think that qualifies

He needs some physiatric help, really.

sorry Gaz wont make the top 10 even, I live for next pension payment

thinking how I can "spead the wealth" for those I love/like a bit diagnosed ptsd 2012 but getting over it :)

loving my life in Thailand..

One of my friend runs Thai cooking classes. Some scratchers emailed him and asked for a free lesson, and they would the post it on FB. That's cheap.

Another guy on on Koh Chang is a notorious balloon chaser. He went around a number resteraunts on Boxing Day to see if they had any Christmas dinner leftovers. His tightness is legendary.

Edited by mrtoad

Chickenslegs

These things go into the overheads. The general cost of running the show. I buy a lot of books from small booksellers in the UK. I am obliged to have a PayPal a/c because they don't accept bank cards. BUT they make me pay their PP fees. These things should go into their running expenses. Here I can go and buy my loaf of bread with my Visa or MC.

Why be concerned what other folk do. rolleyes.gif

My wife buys me second hand T-shirts in the market which have farang labels on the collar, why, cos they are good quality and fit me. A wash and iron then me thumbsup.gif .

Now you can tell all that Trans is a cheap charlie................laugh.png

how much is she paying for these used american goods?

I have interest in that

my farther was,nt tight but i was 14 before i found out that TURNIP was,nt CHOCOLATE , only joking ,

but i did once ask the thai family at the next table at udon night market if i could have the big basket

of salad they left after they had a bbq fish , to take home for my 4 pet rabbits , they said no prob ,

but my t.w went mad at me ......... is that cheap ???

LOL.

The thai wives and worrying about face crack me up.

My thai wife used to get mad at me for taking the food scraps (bones from chicken or ribs and the extra food she always ordered then didn't eat) home to our dog saying it made us look bad but she would take the 20 baht tip i left on the table for a 500+ baht meal saying we could not afford to leave 20 baht for a tip.

Maybe I'm a cheap charlie... Last night I was at a hole in the wall bar, about 100 meters into Suk soi 22, I ordered a tonic water (9 baht from 7-11). No booze, gin,etc, just a tonic water. They brought it to me in a highball glass. 2 drinks of the small glass and it was empty. I asked where my can of tonic was, so I could refill the glass and was told, "NO!!! you only buy one drink, not the whole can. Must but another drink if you want more...." I asked, how much is the drink? "60 baht". SO, i said, Your charging me 180 baht for a 9 bath tonic, because you pour it into a small glass 3 times? If I ordered a beer, would you sell me 10 shots of it or would I get the whole bottle? Of course they got indignant and I walked out, and will not return. I dont mind paying a mark up in a bar; their in it for the money, but dividing a 9-10 baht bottle of tonic or soda water into three separate drinks so they can charge 3 times seems to be taking the piss. Maybe I am just a cheap charlie...

my farther was,nt tight but i was 14 before i found out that TURNIP was,nt CHOCOLATE , only joking ,

but i did once ask the thai family at the next table at udon night market if i could have the big basket

of salad they left after they had a bbq fish , to take home for my 4 pet rabbits , they said no prob ,

but my t.w went mad at me ......... is that cheap ???

LOL.

The thai wives and worrying about face crack me up.

My thai wife used to get mad at me for taking the food scraps (bones from chicken or ribs and the extra food she always ordered then didn't eat) home to our dog saying it made us look bad but she would take the 20 baht tip i left on the table for a 500+ baht meal saying we could not afford to leave 20 baht for a tip.

I have see this too, they do not tip and think when they say "up to you" it doesnt mean more than 40 baht

I wanted to give 200 baht to the guys who delivered a fridge, because they were very careful and polite,

the girl was agaisnt it, saying it is their job,

I gave it anyway, outside

Maybe I'm a cheap charlie... Last night I was at a hole in the wall bar, about 100 meters into Suk soi 22, I ordered a tonic water (9 baht from 7-11). No booze, gin,etc, just a tonic water. They brought it to me in a highball glass. 2 drinks of the small glass and it was empty. I asked where my can of tonic was, so I could refill the glass and was told, "NO!!! you only buy one drink, not the whole can. Must but another drink if you want more...." I asked, how much is the drink? "60 baht". SO, i said, Your charging me 180 baht for a 9 bath tonic, because you pour it into a small glass 3 times? If I ordered a beer, would you sell me 10 shots of it or would I get the whole bottle? Of course they got indignant and I walked out, and will not return. I dont mind paying a mark up in a bar; their in it for the money, but dividing a 9-10 baht bottle of tonic or soda water into three separate drinks so they can charge 3 times seems to be taking the piss. Maybe I am just a cheap charlie...

I don't think that is a cheap charlie.

I have always been given the whole can/bottle and a glass to go with it. Then again I usually buy a bottle of alcohol to go with it.

A bit over the top if it's a beer bar but if there is entertainment or decent surroundings, somebody's got to pay.

It's apparent there are many punters here that are oblivious to the costs of keeping a business open.

When you buy a drink, you are also paying for the glass, ice, refrigeration, cleanup, rent, water, air-conditioning, furniture, breakage, insurance, advertising, maintenance, depreciation, staff, uniforms, training, thefts, bookkeeping, tax, social security, and.....get this! Profit.

In a group at a Sizzler restaurant my mate ordered 3 fresh orange juices.

When he found that we had already warned the waitress we wanted separate bills, he told her to take the juices back and bring his family water!!!!!

Your mate is not a cheap charlie. He is an A-hole!

In many (most?) countries the provision of free drinking water is considered to be part of the general service, like cutlery or salt and pepper or a napkin or toilets. As the French invariably eat bread with a meal the provision of the bread is also generally considered to be just part of the restaurant service there. One exception would be cafeteria style restaurants as found in shopping centres, where small bread rolls can be purchased with the other food items, all of which are sold individually.

Even in the most expensive places in the UK the provision of free water is now obligatory:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266177/Diners-fury-refused-glass-water-posh-restaurant.html

All of which makes the restaurants in Thailand that charge for water look like the real cheap charlies to me.

When I first came here I used to go for coffee with friends but soon gave it a miss from sheer embarrassment. I discovered it was quite normal for them to buy a single coffee and take up that table talking for the following two hours, well after the drink was finished. I often wonder why the Thai staff were so tolerant of this, particularly when there were customers being turned away as no tables were available. At home restaurant staff wouldn't be backward about coming forward and asking you to leave if you were not having anything more.

In Pattaya at the Soi Buakow market there used to be a guy selling duck with noodles. Nothing else on the menu. People were waiting in line all the time cause it was so good. Long steel tables with small plastic stools. If you were taking too long the boss would come and tell you to hurry up - he had customers waiting !!

In many (most?) countries the provision of free drinking water is considered to be part of the general service, like cutlery or salt and pepper or a napkin or toilets. As the French invariably eat bread with a meal the provision of the bread is also generally considered to be just part of the restaurant service there. One exception would be cafeteria style restaurants as found in shopping centres, where small bread rolls can be purchased with the other food items, all of which are sold individually.

Even in the most expensive places in the UK the provision of free water is now obligatory:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266177/Diners-fury-refused-glass-water-posh-restaurant.html

All of which makes the restaurants in Thailand that charge for water look like the real cheap charlies to me.

restaurants in most countries will give free tap water, not free bottled mineral water

if you really want and demanded tap water in a thai restaurant i guess they would provide it

if you drink it you might die but at least you saved 50 baht for your heirs