Anyone here love durian?

kizz06

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many years ago the Street that I lived on in Hong Kong we had a durian market (right outside my door).

The durians that are sold in Hong Kong smell worse than the ones for sale here, which I think was because they were riper by the time that they got onto the markets in Hong Kong.

The stench was terrible (nauseating), so I have never been able to force myself to try durian.

Just like Mr. Bino, I have a ban on durian but this ban is only on the main fridge, the other fridge can be used for plaara, durian, etc.

My Cohibas are stored in the main fridge, so nothing smelly is allowed.

Below is the sticker that is on the main fridge.

post-87166-0-54247800-1397028529_thumb.j

• Like 1

like it but it has to be very ripe and cold. So, I store it in the fridge, in a bag inside another bag and inside a plastic container. If not after 24 hours everything in the fridge smells of Durian.

I like getting it out and feeding it to my guests, especially foreign ones who have never even heard of it, very funny. I gave some to my mother when she visited some time ago and she pulled a face I had never seen before,,, "Why would you eat something that smells so terrible?" she said,, very funny..

After a few years of never getting past the third bite (ahhh, ummm, ewhhh), grew to love ripe durian. In my wife's family half love it, half hate it. One sister has us bring her some (if we drive up only, we put it in the bed of the truck) and another sister forbids it in her house. Very individual like or dislike. My Malaysian friends swear up and down that theirs is the best. Jackfruit also has quite a smell if you leave some in the fridge. Durian reduces your body's ability to metabolize alcohol, good reason not to mix it with drinking.

Absolutely delectable, a plate of durian and a glass of freshly squeezed limes with salt, sugar and ice added is simply heavenly in this heat.

And of course later there is an ice cold beer or two to follow.

Actually I've tried growing 5 durian trees but they all succumbed in April, seems they just couldn't handle the heat in Udon in spite of growing under shade.

Love it but before i tried it i hated the smell and same as someone else didnt let rhe wife take it into the house now im the one who buys it the most but usually make sure to have mangosteen also...hot and cold yin and yang kind of thing. For those who havent tried it...id say it comparable to gorgozola...it stinks but tastes good.

If your a heavy drinker dont have durian with alcohol...one of my friends did he's 36 yearsold and he almost had a heartattack his heart was racing at around 200 beats per minute.

Edited by Evolare

I picked some up at Or Tor Kor Market in Bangkok a few weeks back, smuggled it on the MRT got home and forgot about it, later that evening something ripe. I opened the bag and pulled the durian and placed it on the coffee table, both the cat and dog jumped off the chesterfield 55555555

I do like it and I'm sort of used to the smell, however I certainly understand why some hate it.

• Like 1

Durien is great--tastes like what we call the filling inside Boston cream pie donuts in the US. Just keep it out in the open. I don't even usually like to have it in the fridge. Basically, just no enclosed spaces and steer clear when it is open (and Thais are usually so happy to eat Durien that they will be more than happy to open it themselves).

Absolutely delectable, a plate of durian and a glass of freshly squeezed limes with salt, sugar and ice added is simply heavenly in this heat.

And of course later there is an ice cold beer or two to follow.

Actually I've tried growing 5 durian trees but they all succumbed in April, seems they just couldn't handle the heat in Udon in spite of growing under shade.

Should be able to grow it there if you have rich enough soil and plenty of water the durian tree doesnt handle dry spells very well there's a reason why it grows naturally on the monsoon regions. If you have mist sprinklers in the trees and underground watersupply for the soil you should be fine and if the soils not rich enough make sure to add stuff like rock dust, bone meal, worm castings if you wanna grow it organically. We planted a few trees on our old property in chiang mai and it worked fine and thats what we did. Edited by Evolare

About 45 years ago I was working in Penang. An Australian reporter wrote in a paper there that eating the Durian was like eating the worlds most delicious custard in an open sewer.

I think he got that right!

• Like 2

You haven't really tasted Durian until you try the Malaysian durian. 10x the smell. 10x the taste. You can smell it from a mile away. There was even an incident down under in Australia where some Malaysians brought in Durian to a building and the Building management requested people to evacuate suspecting a gas leak.

Read here.

http://investvine.com/malaysian-durians-cause-panic-in-australia/

I couldn't stand them when I first got here, but slowly have come to love them and don't mind the smell any more. They do a dish something like mango and sticky rice, but with durian mixed in the coconut instead. That was the first durian dish that tasted good to me and then durian ice cream. Now I like the fruit by itself, but it took a long time.