'Totally inappropriate': Tourist's shock at Buddhist temple in Thailand

Boater

'Totally inappropriate': Tourist's shock at Buddhist temple in Thailand which has a mural of planes hitting the Twin Towers

• Tourist criticises mural of Twin Towers as 'completely inappropriate'
  • Features burning buildings alongside comic book characters

A mural in a Thai temple has been criticised as 'totally inappropriate' for depicting the 9/11 terrorist attacks alongside comic book characters and celebrities.

The White Temple at Chiang Rai is the bizarre pet project of controversial Thai artist Chalermchai Kositpipat

As well as depicting planes flying into the Twin Towers, the mural at Chiang Rai features fictional characters such as Spiderman and Harry Potter, celebrities like Michael Jackson, as well as fighter jets and spaceships.

article-2600486-1CF5CF1600000578-215_634

'Totally inappropriate': A mural in the Thai temple of Chiang Rai depicting the 9/11 terrorist attacks

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600486/Totally-inappropriate-Tourists-shock-Buddhist-temple-Thailand-mural-planes-hitting-Twin-Towers.html#ixzz2yOF1X0Mu

Edited by Boater

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This image appears to me to be a legitimate work of art.

It seems the artist is extremely talented.

Whether such provocative art belongs in wats though, that I don't know, as I don't pretend to understand Thai Buddhist culture.

I think an art gallery would be better.

Yes, even in New York. Maybe better in New York.

Art is more than something that looks pretty over your sofa, my dears.

You are right about Art. Art can be provocative and even distasteful.

I don't quite agree it should be in the temple, but then, they allow full blasting karaoke and the likes, with drunken youngsters armed with lethal weapons.. So, no, i am not surprised, still i think it's not appropriate.

• Like 2

It's the PC world in attack mode.

It's a private place, a private artist giving his private impressions.

It's a sad world when we try and censor the free will of an Artist.

I've been there ... it's different, but I wasn't offended.

Daily Mail rubbish to stir it up and sell a couple of papers.

Actually, from memory (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the taking of photos inside the Temple was not allowed?

Its not in a private place, its in a temple. - That in my opinion is inappropriate.

I agree with some of the previous posters from an artistic point of view, yes its well done, I'd go as far as to say its quite good. but wholly inappropriate as far as its setting.

To my knowledge, it's privately owned.

... but happy to stand corrected.

Anyone know for sure of the ownership of the Building?

How come they ignored Hitler?

The Hitler symbols and images have now become past tense and no longer in fashion.

This in my opinion is a total mockery and travesty of one of the worst tragedies of modern times. This so-called work of art that depicts 9/11 in such an insensitive manner is of extremely bad taste and is bound to offend and probably cause great upset and grief to those who survived or lost loved one`s in the 9/11 disaster and to many Westerners that witnessed these horrific events taking place during the times. I still have the terrifying images of people jumping to their deaths in my mind.

This is the work of a warped mind, by someone who has no sensitivity to horrific and tragic events such as this.

The question is; how many more times are the Thais going to plead ignorance to their creation of these offensive so-called artworks and imagines? Because there can be no excuses. Only one word to describe this: outrageous.

I hope that tourists will decide to boycott that temple until those offensive images are smashed down and destroyed.

The reality and there were no super heroes around at the time to rescue them:

You still have the terrifying images of people in your mind yet you post a video of it..........................................................................

• Like 2

Tourists or American tourists?

Anyhow more or less of 50% contemporary and modern art is considered inappropriate by 50% of the older générations...So rolleyes.gif

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

I guess only an American would call this inappropriate.

I think you might be correct- 9/11 was dreadful- on a vast scale. The fact it happened on American soil really brought home America's place in the world.

I spent the 70's working in Harrods, at one time we had coded messages over the Tannoy daily- search for bombs- was about 30 ft away when one IRA bomb went off( luckily had been found and good old Victorian steel doors had been closed between the departments ) . We got used to it. The USA had never experienced anything like that.

Now it's all part of history, the unholy alliance between the USA and the UK has made many enemies.

The art work shows a piece of history- and through Homeland security has changed the world we live in.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry mate, but I think your use of 'unholy' is totally inappropriate. Unless of course it's a subtle attempt on your part to turn this thread into a certain-religion bashing thread. And I don't mean the IRA version of Catholicism that you are obviously referring to when you relate to your experiences at Harrods.

How come they ignored Hitler?

The Hitler symbols and images have now become past tense and no longer in fashion.

This in my opinion is a total mockery and travesty of one of the worst tragedies of modern times. This so-called work of art that depicts 9/11 in such an insensitive manner is of extremely bad taste and is bound to offend and probably cause great upset and grief to those who survived or lost loved one`s in the 9/11 disaster and to many Westerners that witnessed these horrific events taking place during the times. I still have the terrifying images of people jumping to their deaths in my mind.

This is the work of a warped mind, by someone who has no sensitivity to horrific and tragic events such as this.

The question is; how many more times are the Thais going to plead ignorance to their creation of these offensive so-called artworks and imagines? Because there can be no excuses. Only one word to describe this: outrageous.

I think that you mention fashion is important - fashion comes and goes- bell bottoms anybody? To be totally honest 9/ 11 is totally , absolutely, irrelevant to the vast majority of Thai people - your comments come from the first world - oh dear - someone fought back against the total crap that America and the Saudis have imposed on the world.

I hope that tourists will decide to boycott that temple until those offensive images are smashed down and destroyed.

The reality and there were no super heroes around at the time to rescue them:

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand