Transport bike from Koh Samui to Bangkok - My experiences

kandi

Some time ago, I had asked about information on how to transport a motorbike (Honda Dreamexes) from Koh Samui to Bangkok. I got some interesting replies, that's why I'd like to give something back and report on how it went.

Since the owner of the motorbike entered in the green book is neither me nor the person who is sending me the motorbike, I couldn't send it by Thailand Post. That would have been my first choice because I've read good things about that.

I then came across บขส. boo koo soo, a goverment transport company. I called them two weeks before the shipping date and they said that this wouldn't be a problem. They said they'd need to detach the wheels and then put it into an overnight bus arriving early the next morning at Sai Tai Mai which was perfect because I live not far from that place.

Also, I didn't need to provide a green book or any other documents. I just had to inform them at least 24 hours in advance and everything would work out.

I called them again four days before the shipping date. I talked to another person who suddenly said completely different things. They said they can't guarantee the bike will be loaded onto the bus, the person on Samui had to go there in the early morning and "talk to the driver".

Detaching the wheels was suddenly also my responsibility. Also, there must be a person travelling along with the motorbike, otherwise it won't work. Oh, and by the way: I need to provide a green book, too.

After many frustrated calls I finally found another company called รถรุ่งเรือง (มุกดาหาร) rot rung rueang mukdahaan which also goes by the name "Yellow Bus". Most routes go from the south up to Rayong. They said they would take my motorbike for 1,500 THB.

The downside was that they didn't exactly go through Bangkok but south of it through Samut Prakan. The closest place they could offload the motorbike was on Theparak Rd. not too far from Baering BTS station. Also, the bus would arrive at around 5-6:00 in the morning.

I agreed and the person on Samui drove the motorbike to their office in Nathon, opposite Wat Chaeng. They now asked for 2,150 THB and said the motorbike will be loaded onto the bus that leaves Samui at 16:00.

The next morning I took a taxi to Teprat Rd. and arrived at the bus stop at 4:00. Finding the stop was terrible: The only direction the company could give me was that the stop was opposite a company called "Surapon Foods". Too bad Google Maps gave me not one but many with that name on that road.

I tried to find it with Google Street View since they said the stop had its logo (a yellow Y and cool.png on the building. But I just couldn't find it. By accident I realised why: Most graphics in that area are from October 2011 - when the bus stop wasn't even there yet. Only by accidently going into a soi which for some reason had updated graphics from April 2012 I could see the logo.

To make it short: The Yellow Bus bus stop on Theparak Rd. is at 13.615150, 100.657559 or https://goo.gl/maps/BbzTA.

I had talked to the driver the evening before and he said he would call me half an hour before they arrive. He called me at exactly 5:00am, 20 minutes later the bus arrived with my motorbike.

Everything was perfect. The detached the mirros, but that wasn't a problem. They kept it in the storage area among the other bags so it took a few minutes before they had unloaded it.

What I learned from this: You can't rely on information a Thai company gives you. Always have a plan B.

The details in short:

Motorbike transport (Honda 110cc) from Koh Samui (Nathon) to Samut Prakan (Theparak Rd.) with รถรุ่งเรือง (มุกดาหาร) rot rung rueang mukdahaan / Yellow Bus. Ca. 13 hours, 1,500 - 2,150 THB.

Maybe this helps anyone who is planning the same or a samiliar thing. By the way: This company also has busses from Phuket. See their website for more: www.iloveyellowbus.com

Edited by kandi
  • Like 1

I live in Pattaya and wanted to buy a bike in Samui and transport back.

I went to Pattaya Yelllow bus terminal and all 'no problem.'

After busing down and buying the bike and going to that Nathon station all of a sudden it was 'cannot,' with no explanation of course.

I had to ride over to the Surat Thani train station and overnight transport myself and it to BKK, thence ride it back home.

Got lost only twice or so.

iloveyellowbus, not so much.

I live in Pattaya and wanted to buy a bike in Samui and transport back.

I went to Pattaya Yelllow bus terminal and all 'no problem.'

After busing down and buying the bike and going to that Nathon station all of a sudden it was 'cannot,' with no explanation of course.

I had to ride over to the Surat Thani train station and overnight transport myself and it to BKK, thence ride it back home.

Got lost only twice or so.

iloveyellowbus, not so much.

Looks like I was lucky. Did you talk to them in Thai? Maybe they didn't give an explanation because they didn't know how to explain it in English? What kind of bike was it? Scooter or a motorcycle?

I can only say what I have experienced with Yellow Bus. And unlike all the other companies, Yellow Bus went without a single problem. Maybe not for everyone.

"What I learned from this: You can't rely on information a Thai company gives you. ."

Yellow reps who spoke good English and who were looking at the 150cc bike both in (1) Patts and on (2) eastern Samui (Surin area) told me no problem.

Only at the final and crucial loading point does it become cannot.

What a waste of time!

"Yellow Bus went without a single problem."

Yellow quoted you 1500 then switched to 2150 once the bike showed up.

You speak Thai apparently.

Why the switch?

Were they expecting a bike smaller than a Dream?

Stupidity, laziness and dishonesty are the only explanations I can figure.

"What I have learned from it is that by not speaking any Thai, I would be screwed in such a situation! "

My Thai is basic, yes.

I had a Thai person on the phone acting as a translator.

Still only cannot.

Screwed regardless.

I've heard that Mui Thai is the national sport, but I believe that 'screwing the farang' is right up there.

"

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

thanks for the info.

I guess the best was selling your dream excess in Koh Samui and buying a new and maybe a better one in Bangkok by putting 2100 thb on top you paid for the transport!

Yes!! That's what bikes are for! Riding! None of this 'stick in on a train/bus/pickup' BS. I still cringe when I read things about Bangkok riders wanting to ride in Chiang Mai or wherever and truck the bike there and back.

How many riders of bigger bikes my buddies and I meet in Bangkok who never ride out of Bangkok is ridiculous. Like the J Avenue crew of Ducati riders in top-of-the-line Dainese gear.

• Like 1

Yes!! That's what bikes are for! Riding! None of this 'stick in on a train/bus/pickup' BS. I still cringe when I read things about Bangkok riders wanting to ride in Chiang Mai or wherever and truck the bike there and back.

How many riders of bigger bikes my buddies and I meet in Bangkok who never ride out of Bangkok is ridiculous. Like the J Avenue crew of Ducati riders in top-of-the-line Dainese gear.

totally agree with you.

Big bikes are for riding.

I never drive my bike with a truck and i use every single opportunity to ride my bike.

I can go to track days with a van or truck with bike on the back but no, i ride my bike as i like riding bikes!

At first I thought about driving it from Samui to BKK myself but then decided not to. I enjoy riding, however riding a 110cc bike those 500km on highways between truck drivers high on yaabaa is everything but fun. Besides that, I didn't even have the time. But it would have been an interesting experience, I'm sure.

Its no problem riding a small bike around Thailand as I have ridden my PCX into every direction including into Bangkok and out. Its great fun when some one in Surin ask you did you really ride all of the way from Chiang Mai and when you say yes the look on their face is priceless.

• Like 2

Its no problem riding a small bike around Thailand as I have ridden my PCX into every direction including into Bangkok and out. Its great fun when some one in Surin ask you did you really ride all of the way from Chiang Mai and when you say yes the look on their face is priceless.

Post office does this too, 2000 baht from my understanding, and no need to take the wheels off.... know someone who has shipped two bikes to Samui from BKK, that way.

^ agree with Moe666 about getting around on a PCX.... and the shock looks one gets....on doing long trips.... "you did that?" !w00t.gifrolleyes.gif

i would have woke up at before dawn got welldressed to protect from sunburn or spills and gunned it all the way to bkk

only cost a few tanks of gas and i like riding anyway if i have nothing better to do .....smile.png

just a curious question in my mind:

have you ever "gunned" on a Honda Dream ( or alike size-wise) the short and exciting distance that Surat Thain to Bkk offers? or a similar fun trip.

i guess not really.

i had few long trips on such small bike, and to be honest, after 2 hours the fun part is kind a over, after half a day it is outright suffering...and no, that 13 hours bus trip wont be less on a 110cc Dream.

however, cost-wise you are right :)

it would be lot less than 2000thb.

i would have woke up at before dawn got welldressed to protect from sunburn or spills and gunned it all the way to bkk

only cost a few tanks of gas and i like riding anyway if i have nothing better to do .....smile.png

just a curious question in my mind:

have you ever "gunned" on a Honda Dream ( or alike size-wise) the short and exciting distance that Surat Thain to Bkk offers? or a similar fun trip.

i guess not really.

i had few long trips on such small bike, and to be honest, after 2 hours the fun part is kind a over, after half a day it is outright suffering...and no, that 13 hours bus trip wont be less on a 110cc Dream.

however, cost-wise you are right smile.png

it would be lot less than 2000thb.

On these long trips I ride no more than 8 hours have had a few 9 hour days no need to put your self in a hole the first day. You do need a certain level of fitness to ride a small bike on long trips, I go to our local gym 3 days a week

• Like 1

Bought my 1st bike in Phuket, took a bus there and rode it back to Korat. about 1100 km trip.

Bought my second bike in Nakhon Sawan, 350 km to Korat.

Putting a bike on a bus? wut???blink.png

What's wrong with putting it on a bus? Why do I have to justify myself for not having the time and the mood to drive a bike through half Thailand, especially a small old one?

• Like 1

Bought my 1st bike in Phuket, took a bus there and rode it back to Korat. about 1100 km trip.

What's wrong with putting it on a bus? Why do I have to justify myself for not having the time and the mood to drive a bike through half Thailand, especially a small old one?

You're right! If it's not fun to ride, stick it on the bus. Or even better, sell the POS and buy a decent bike you'd want to ride anywhere.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

You do not have to.

Wonder if someone would go to buy a nice bicycle from Bkk to Samui, also would be the attitude to ride it back?

Bicycle is fun too, and a decent second hand's price compare to a scooter :)

There are bikes made for touring/long rides, and there are city bikes made for shorter distance, to take you from point A to B...OP bought a scooter, what you think which category that is?

I think OP bought a Dream, which does not have the engine mounted on the swing arm and therefore would not be considered a scooter by me,

rather an underbone.

Underbone category for Dream.

Commonest for around town, but with intercontinental potential.

Easier for touring than a bicycle, for sure.

I think OP bought a Dream, which does not have the engine mounted on the swing arm and therefore would not be considered a scooter by me,

rather an underbone.

Underbone category for Dream.

Commonest for around town, but with intercontinental potential.

Easier for touring than a bicycle, for sure.

It's not a Dream, it's a Dreamexes (see below). And I didn't really buy it, I got it for free :P

post-124360-0-79539900-1397464673_thumb.

My bad.

Never heard of a Dreamexes before.

Nothing online.

I did find 'Honda Dream Exces 100 '...a type of Honda Dream in Thailand.

Looks similar to what you depict.

But your bike is not a Dream of course.

post-174911-0-25119100-1397523176_thumb.

Edited by papa al

My bad.

Never heard of a Dreamexes before.

Nothing online.

I did find 'Honda Dream Exces 100 '...a type of Honda Dream in Thailand.

Looks similar to what you depict.

But your bike is not a Dream of course.

attachicon.gifdream x.png

Yeah, that must be it. I was also a bit confused why there's so little on the internet about that model. I've never seen anyone here in BKK riding that thing. However, my friend says he saw plenty of them on Samui,