$THB1,000,000 THai Baht. Right now. What would you do?

Scarpolo

A moment away from the merits of all things Thai,

Can this forum prove to be more than just poorly written soap operas?

I want to hear about opportunity, and optimism, as I think Thailand is headed for a punishing recession.

It has all the hallmarks of one, so let's not get off subject, and the thread can assume the intent of the question posited.

As everything has a cycle, and Thailands is outlook is chaotic at best, struggling at worst,

so,

where you would put THB 1,000,000 Baht to go to work?

is always on opportunity.

Surely this forum and all its wise men,

are also opportunity minded?

THB 1,000,000 Baht

THB 2,000,000 Baht

3, 4,000,000, 5,000,000

what would you do with it? Now, next year, in 2 years, 5 years.

what do you see in the 5-10 year forecast?

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again Mr PacinoTrollingSteveMcQueen

If I had a million to invest, I'd pump it all into that hi-so soapie joint where you met your soapie princess.

I am sure, they arent looking for money from you,

you need to turn off the screen and put the foil back on your head

Hello again Mr PacinoTrollingSteveMcQueen

If I had a million to invest, I'd pump it all into that hi-so soapie joint where you met your soapie princess.

I am sure, they arent looking for money from you,

you need to turn off the screen and put the foil back on your head

And you need to stop trolling.

responding to stupidity creates more posts.

its a toss up

1 million baht is not much to do anything significant.

Buy a still and start making good rice whiskey. Alcohol sales always go up during recessions.

I probably shouldn't make this winning suggestion so public.....now I'll have too much competition to become a liquor baron within 5 years

• Like 1

If one's belief is there will be a recession - one would have thought that putting the money somewhere not in Thai baht (or not affected by it) whilst it still has the buying power it does, would be the best option. Put it in a safe currency and wait perhaps, then when things are rock bottom, decide whether its worth investing (now that your Swiss Francs have so much more Thai buying power :) ) or not, and look elsewhere.

A million baht is less than the cost of an out-of-town house or a family car, so not so much of a worry investment wise anyway.

• Like 1

1 million baht is not much to do anything significant.

Buy a still and start making good rice whiskey. Alcohol sales always go up during recessions.

I probably shouldn't make this winning suggestion so public.....now I'll have too much competition to become a liquor baron within 5 years

If you have a good market for rice whiskey I know someone that makes some pretty good stuff.

When the gov were allowing many people to get licenses i thought about making a still and producing corn liquor but my wife in all her infinite wisdom said if it was a good idea the thais would be doing it already. Since the license would have had to be in her name the idea was nixed.

A million Baht is not that much money, I'd just leave it where it is right now.

I certainly wouldn't be bringing money into Thailand to invest in anything right now. That's just my preference though.

Edited by ukrules

I would build another small hotel/guesthouse :)

I have faith in the Russians/Chinese/Indians to visit Phuket if civil war rages in Bangkok...

There will be no civil war in Phuket/south Thailand because everyone seems to be 'yellow' with the exception of one person - me ....

Then there is this "situation"

A war of attrition coming to the south?

Another hit to tourism and easy to grift revenue?

Posted Today, 01:03

Army chief: Militants focus on rocking South’s economy, tourism
By Digital Content

1397018063129.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 9 – A series of bombings in Thailand’s southern province of Yala was meant to shake the region’s economy and tourism, army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha said today.

In an interview before leaving for an inspection trip in Yala, he ruled out the possibility that the latest explosions which rocked Yala city were related to the assignment of a new 4th Army Region commander to the South.

In the mid-year army reshuffle, Lt-Gen Walit Rojanapakdi, commander of the 1st Army Corp, was appointed 4th Army Region commander, replacing Lt-Gen Sakol Chuentrakul.

He said the incident could be linked to the upcoming Songkran celebration and the 10th anniversary of Krue Se mosque incident, adding that Muslim militants’ objectives were to jeopardise the economy and tourism, and pressure Buddhist Thai people to move out of the area.

The attacked areas were dominated by the Thai Buddhist business community, he said.

Gen Prayuth said the militants have been trying to provoke the authorities to violently retaliate and they have readjusted their strategy by using small-sized bombs, aiming at burning targetted areas.

More closed-circuit cameras will be installed, he said and called on southern residents to fully cooperate with the authorities. (MCOT online news)

I wouldn't invest a single penny/cent/baht into Thailand.

You might think the outlook is bleak but what happens when the thing I cant speak of happens?

People are shooting, grenading the tish out of each other already, what happens when the picture frame falls down from the wall?

I wouldn't like to be over there when that happens.

• Like 2

I wouldn't invest a single penny/cent/baht into Thailand.

You might think the outlook is bleak but what happens when the thing I cant speak of happens?

People are shooting, grenading the tish out of each other already, what happens when the picture frame falls down from the wall?

I wouldn't like to be over there when that happens.

So, your sense is that it is civil war brewing, and no other way out?

you may be right

but seriously, unless you know what your investing in its best not to invest. if you really want to get a piece of the Thai market because you think it will rebound strong (as I do) then buy a Thai ETF from back home (THD on the NYSE). your automatically diversified so you dont need to pick individual stocks and you can capture the overall growth of the economy without your Thai partner taking all your assets and laughing his/her way to the bank.

rule number one: dont invest in things you dont understand

rule number two: go back and read rule number one

Edited by yourauntbob

So I'm guessing I can't simply exchange it for USD and put it in my account. smile.png

1 million isn't much. I would start by being sort-of nice and buy a condo and have someone stay there for FREE. Help out one family for a year while they get on their feet. It is an investment on my behalf, so i'm not the greatest for doing that.

or spend 1 million on advertising to raise awareness for dangerous drinking and driving, driving while asleep, overnight buses, etc....

or spend 1 million to help all the girls with Aids.

or spend 1 million to help all the homeless ex-pats.

if i thought about it long enough, maybe invest in something that would give clean water to one village....not sure that cost.

• Like 2

but seriously, unless you know what your investing in its best not to invest. if you really want to get a piece of the Thai market because you think it will rebound strong (as I do) then buy a Thai ETF from back home (THD on the NYSE). your automatically diversified so you dont need to pick individual stocks and you can capture the overall growth of the economy without your Thai partner taking all your assets and laughing his/her way to the bank.

rule number one: dont invest in things you dont understand

rule number two: go back and read rule number one

Thai ETF's?

ok, but not for me,

was thinking more of being in Thailand, in a good weather area, like Chaing Mai, which seems poised to grow big and is far away from bangkok

Edited by Scarpolo

Seriously, scarpolo, if you are going to troll us, can you at least start with something resembling a reasonable premise ? Putting a dollar sign in front of 'THB' is nothing short of pathetic - many here would have a million Thai baht, but how many would have a million USD ? It's amateur hour : even 10 million baht is still a long way short of that mark. xe.com has a million USD at over 32 million THB this morning - even allowing for exchange costs, that's still over 30 million baht. Massive difference in what you could do with that kind of money vs your initial number - I suspect that you just want to ensure that you get responses.

I can live with the fact that you seem to enjoy passing the time arguing the toss with others on TV - GD has many threads in that vein - but many of your threads seem to be very poorly thought out. Common sense says that no-one with anything resembling a million USD would go all-in in Asia atm. If we accept that diversification is the mainstay of a successful longterm investment, surely that extends to the currencies we choose to maintain ? You dont have to go to Asia to see a currency slide against the USD - any Canadians out there ? wink.png

I dont know what happened to the flow of my OP

It changed in the translation when I wasnt looking,

Its not up to me to paint a number.

Thats up to the takers who want to write about what they see.

Its a big country, and thai visa is small.

1,000,000 THB in the headline is to be reasonable,

the body of the OP suggests up to 5,000,000

anything more than that, sint necessary,

but, $1,000,000 US is as good a place to start, if you prefer

Seriously, scarpolo, if you are going to troll us, can you at least start with something resembling a reasonable premise ? Putting a dollar sign in front of 'THB' is nothing short of pathetic - many here would have a million Thai baht, but how many would have a million USD ? It's amateur hour : even 10 million baht is still a long way short of that mark. xe.com has a million USD at over 32 million THB this morning - even allowing for exchange costs, that's still over 30 million baht. Massive difference in what you could do with that kind of money vs your initial number - I suspect that you just want to ensure that you get responses.

I can live with the fact that you seem to enjoy passing the time arguing the toss with others on TV - GD has many threads in that vein - but many of your threads seem to be very poorly thought out. Common sense says that no-one with anything resembling a million USD would go all-in in Asia atm. If we accept that diversification is the mainstay of a successful longterm investment, surely that extends to the currencies we choose to maintain ? You dont have to go to Asia to see a currency slide against the USD - any Canadians out there ? wink.png

+1

Scarpolo your thread is so weak....that even you have not said what you do with that kind of money which is really nothing (apparently during your 6 months here you spent 300,000 baht....50,000 Baht a month ....which is a bargain....so what do you think a million Baht will get you....another year?) ...AND you're supposedly the financial genius (among other things)....if you want to be taken seriously you might want to respond to your own post ...otherwise your just another troll....and a lonely one at that as it seems you've nothing better to do than post on TV

Edited by beachproperty