Lose the branches of power, lose the nation: Thai politics

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the article states both camps have tried everything..... rallies, courts, lies, threats, thuggery, the social media, groveling to foreigners smile.png .... and still they haven't passed 'GO'. It's difficult to see what else is left in the Thai locker.

I know. Anyone got any cards?

OK so what your saying is that democracy is dictatorship because the people are 'stupid' and they elect 'bad' people and then bad people have to much power and then there is 'corruption'

This is the gist of the pad/pdrc ideology.

The problem with non-elected 'appointed' senators is "who does the appointing?" In this case it was the military that appointed the senators after a coup, the military being supported by the 'establishment', the establishment being *most* of Thailand's other 10 billionairs that are NOT Thaksin, Thaksin and his 'new money' being the black sheep of of the billionairs family (the other bils. are all 'old money') The shinawatra's having won the loyalty of the vast majority of the voters by giving them the basic human rights that the 'establishment' was denying them, ie: free health care, a decent wage, farm subsidies for the poor, loan guarantees for starting small businesses, etc.

The 'establishment' when it regained power with the appointed Abhisit government, essentially admitted that it had errored by not extending these benefits to the populace when they had the chance, when they were in power before Thaksin-they admitted this by keeping the programs going once they took power bck from the TRT.PPP.. but it was too late, the Shins had the loyalty of the masses and the dems were still suspect.

Democratically electing your leaders is not perfect but the problem is there is no alternative, having the ignorant military appointing 'good' people is not sustainable and they wind up appointing sht people like that idiot head of the NaCC.

You messed up your quotes so I deleted those below your post to make my response make sense. Not sure of the etiquette of that but hopefully it is OK.

Anyway, I am not saying quite that. The reality is that people as a whole are pretty ill equipped to make an educated choice as to who is the best team to run the country. In Thailand even more than some other countries because of the poor education here. That much is true about what I am saying but it is not actually applicable only to Thailand.

Politicians spin, lie, cheat and do whatever they can to gain power. The points are not usually clear and even if they were the actions of politicians rarely match to any degree what they say. However I do think the people have the right to vote for who they want, stupid or not is not the point there.

The point I was making was that just the fact of voting in a government should not give them absolute power to do whatever they like. There has to be some control on the extent of what can be done in the time grand they are given before another vote takes place so that the people can decide again whether the people they voted in have actually done at least to a large degree, what they promised to do and whether they have been fiscally responsible.

So the control on the government, and I assume most people recognize there has to be some degree of control or muting of the power the government has to pass into law policies that affect the nation. In extremes there must be control for otherwise the government could bankrupt the country and appoint judges, military and civil service personnel to fill their personal pockets willy nilly. These controls are made in Thailand via the Administrative and other Courts and the senate. If you gave a senate elected at the same time as the MP's then there is no point in having a senate at all since it would just mirror the government and curtail nor be a brake at all - that leaves an all powerful elected body which would have carte Blanche to do whatever it pleased regardless of election promises nor effect on the country. That is not democracy.

The issue in Thailand is that every element of Thai politics from MP's, Senators, courts of various persuasions, police and so on are just thoroughly riddled with corruption and self interest with almost no regard for social or national benefit. They basically reflect Thai society which is to be expected.

So the PTP want immediate elections and to db able to force through all their policies before their incompetence and worse is fully exposed. The Democrats wants to stop the elections to expose the PTP and gain power by whatever means necessary.

They are both not good for Thailand but then Thai society is provably not mature enough for a total overhaul of their systems. Just look at the Thai laws and procedure - they have hardly changed in 100 years or more. Until society is ready to fight for a less corrupt government why should anything change.

A court is only as good as the quality of its judges.

The way these guys got their jobs is the root of the problem with the courts.

Fix the constitution, return the senate to the people and we are back on the path to a decent and respectable judiciary.

remind me.

How did Yingluck get her job?

I'll give you a clue, it didn't involve a military Junta. Does that help?

Another clue.

Ms. Yingluck had this MLKmoment and stepped to the Pheu Thai offices and said to want to serve the people. The executive committee of the 'thaksin thinks, pheu thai acts' party thought long and hard about it and after due consideration announced the same day "why no, we'll put you as number 1 on the party list".

The suggestion that Ms. Yingluck only got this position because of her golf caddy advisor is pure slander, allegedly that is.

Thanks for your "clue". I'll stick with the facts, Yingluck was nominated on the 16th May 2011. Your assertation that

"The executive committee of the 'thaksin thinks, pheu thai acts' party thought long and hard about it and after due consideration announced the same day "why no, we'll put you as number 1 on the party list".

is a lie and only exists in your over active "mind". The Bangkok Post reported on March 23rd that she may not be the choice for Party List Number 1, so hardly a choice made by the executive in 1 day as your lie states.

Your reference to "golf caddy advisors " is puerile and yet another example of you throwing in "amusing references" (in your mind at least) to "pander to the gallery", basically just a waste of digital bandwidth.

• Like 1

The judiciary's power will also enter a vacuum if a major political camp dismisses its power citing discrimination and biased rulings.

A stand has to be made.

A nation cannot exist if the courts continually throw out elected governments on trumped up charges.

The courts are not the last bastion of hope, they are the last remaining stronghold of the anti-democrats.

It is in the courts that the reforms this country so desperately need must begin and the reform process begins with PTP not accepting anymore biased rulings against them.

​Those concerned about a power vacuum should be out campaigning for new elections to be held ASAP

So your asking for a country that has no law

I thought thats what we are trying to stop

No.

A country that has a court system that is independent and impartial and basis its decision on facts of law not on the whims of the elite is what many, many millions of Thais are asking for

What "we" (you and Suthep) are trying to stop is democracy and freedom.

You are suggesting that the Judges be selected by the "impartial" PTP. Thank you, but many millions of Thais are not that gullible, they are not stupid just not educated.

But those same judges were appointed by an "impartial" military junta. Isn't that a problem?

• Like 2

Another clue.

Ms. Yingluck had this MLKmoment and stepped to the Pheu Thai offices and said to want to serve the people. The executive committee of the 'thaksin thinks, pheu thai acts' party thought long and hard about it and after due consideration announced the same day "why no, we'll put you as number 1 on the party list".

The suggestion that Ms. Yingluck only got this position because of her golf caddy advisor is pure slander, allegedly that is.

Thanks for your "clue". I'll stick with the facts, Yingluck was nominated on the 16th May 2011. Your assertation that

"The executive committee of the 'thaksin thinks, pheu thai acts' party thought long and hard about it and after due consideration announced the same day "why no, we'll put you as number 1 on the party list".

is a lie and only exists in your over active "mind". The Bangkok Post reported on March 23rd that she may not be the choice for Party List Number 1, so hardly a choice made by the executive in 1 day as your lie states.

Your reference to "golf caddy advisors " is puerile and yet another example of you throwing in "amusing references" (in your mind at least) to "pander to the gallery", basically just a waste of digital bandwidth.

2011-03-23

"Yingluck Shinawatra, the youngest sibling of self-exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has emerged as a leading candidate for the premiership among key figures of the opposition Pheu Thai Party."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/453694-yingluck-shinawatra-heading-pheu-thai-leadership/

Anyway, it was only after then PM Abhisit dissolved the House on the 9th of May that parties really needed to get their act together.

BTW it may indeed be that Thaksin waited a bit before giving the final order to put sister on the top position. That's the privilege of the owner of a political party, who himself of course is not involved as criminal fugitive.

This article summarizes well what the Yingluck administration is trying to do by attempting to block the Senate from functioning. However, they will not have the last word. The Constitutional Court will. Those who support Pheu Thai are trying to maintain an argument that is a vacuum in and of itself. They are somehow trying to de-legitimize the judicial process. The words they choose are dangerous and have far-reaching implications. It is hard to imagine what the end game would look like if the administration of the day simply choose to ignore the highest constitutional court in the land. And yet, Pheu Thai supporters seem to be openly toying with the concept. One thing is for certain - we'll know very soon, because that unfortunately seems to be where we're headed. But if that were to happen - if the Yingluck administration actually choose to ignore a ruling of the Constitutional Court - international condemnation would be swift. Overnight. It would be a blanket condemnation. Make no mistake of it. And the backlash within the country would be enormous.

The army is obligated to protect the constitution and the judicial process, as well as judicial rulings, as are all Thais. All Thais are obligated to respect the constitution and the judicial process of checks and balances outlined in the constitution. Entertaining a dialogue that attempts to cast aspersions on the judicial process is profoundly dangerous. There is no place for it. Anywhere.

nonsense as the constitution was "Hobsons Choice" and most Thais I know are unsupportive of it and clearly understand it was a "set-up".\

NO Thais I know have faith in the judiciary which plainly disregarded the recent elections because of a "technicality" caused by street bullies disrupting it - judicial coup

get the judiciary "reformed" and Thais will support it with vigor

"most Thai I know" and 'no Thai I know" are phrases to be avoided as meaningless, my dear binji.

• Like 2

This article summarizes well what the Yingluck administration is trying to do by attempting to block the Senate from functioning. However, they will not have the last word. The Constitutional Court will. Those who support Pheu Thai are trying to maintain an argument that is a vacuum in and of itself. They are somehow trying to de-legitimize the judicial process. The words they choose are dangerous and have far-reaching implications. It is hard to imagine what the end game would look like if the administration of the day simply choose to ignore the highest constitutional court in the land. And yet, Pheu Thai supporters seem to be openly toying with the concept. One thing is for certain - we'll know very soon, because that unfortunately seems to be where we're headed. But if that were to happen - if the Yingluck administration actually choose to ignore a ruling of the Constitutional Court - international condemnation would be swift. Overnight. It would be a blanket condemnation. Make no mistake of it. And the backlash within the country would be enormous.

The army is obligated to protect the constitution and the judicial process, as well as judicial rulings, as are all Thais. All Thais are obligated to respect the constitution and the judicial process of checks and balances outlined in the constitution. Entertaining a dialogue that attempts to cast aspersions on the judicial process is profoundly dangerous. There is no place for it. Anywhere.

nonsense as the constitution was "Hobsons Choice" and most Thais I know are unsupportive of it and clearly understand it was a "set-up".\

NO Thais I know have faith in the judiciary which plainly disregarded the recent elections because of a "technicality" caused by street bullies disrupting it - judicial coup

Even abhisit recognised the needs for judicial reform back in 2009.

PM invites opponent to take part in reform
Published on March 29, 2009
He said the government would also provide the venues for the opponents to join to shape up the reforms of policies and judicial system.

"I would like to invite everybody to take part and express his or her opinions," Abhisit said.

He didn't do anything about it, but then, a considered viewpoint of abhisit is that he is "only good for talking" (a few elections have borne that viewpoint out)

Back in March, at a forum held at Thammasat University to celebrate International Women’s Day, Jittra silently held up a series of hand-drawn placards while PM Abhisit delivered his speech (she received a death threat just after that event and has more recently been subject to a hate campaign by the notoriously fascistic Social Sanctions cybergroup). The statement that has since gone on to be so irksome for Thailand’s Eton/Oxbridge-educated PM was a devastating one-line put-down “He’s only good at talking.”

To those who follow the grassroots activists of the progressive, non-Pheu Thai, non-Thaksin aligned Red Shirt movement, Jittra Cotshadet needs no introduction. After leading her co-workers out on strike at the infamous Triumph clothing factory she then went on to form the successful Try Armworkers co-operative. Present at and involved in every single major Red Shirt protest in the last two years, Jittra once told me in graphic detail how she helped clean up the brains blown out of the skulls of her fellow Red Shirts by Thai Army snipers at Kok Wua. She is as passionate and committed an activist you could wish to meet. And Abhisit is terrified of her.“This person who accuses me – how dare she!” This was the whining statement Abhisit placed on his Facebook page last night.

https://thaiuknews.wordpress.com/category/thaiuknews/page/21/

• Like 1

"most Thai I know" and 'no Thai I know" are phrases to be avoided as meaningless, my dear binji.

If you wish to be so dismissive of the views of the Thais that he knows and you so obviously don't, could we add "my thai wife/father in law/uncle/cousin twice removed/the lady at the mom and pop shop" etc to narrow that list down further?

He said the government would also provide the venues for the opponents to join to shape up the reforms of policies and judicial system.

"I would like to invite everybody to take part and express his or her opinions," Abhisit said.

He didn't do anything about it, but then, a considered viewpoint of abhisit is that he is "only good for talking" (a few elections have borne that viewpoint out)

Back in March, at a forum held at Thammasat University to celebrate International Women’s Day, Jittra silently held up a series of hand-drawn placards while PM Abhisit delivered his speech (she received a death threat just after that event and has more recently been subject to a hate campaign by the notoriously fascistic Social Sanctions cybergroup). The statement that has since gone on to be so irksome for Thailand’s Eton/Oxbridge-educated PM was a devastating one-line put-down “He’s only good at talking.”

To those who follow the grassroots activists of the progressive, non-Pheu Thai, non-Thaksin aligned Red Shirt movement, Jittra Cotshadet needs no introduction. After leading her co-workers out on strike at the infamous Triumph clothing factory she then went on to form the successful Try Armworkers co-operative. Present at and involved in every single major Red Shirt protest in the last two years, Jittra once told me in graphic detail how she helped clean up the brains blown out of the skulls of her fellow Red Shirts by Thai Army snipers at Kok Wua. She is as passionate and committed an activist you could wish to meet. And Abhisit is terrified of her.“This person who accuses me – how dare she!” This was the whining statement Abhisit placed on his Facebook page last night.

So, you mean Ms. Yingluck has choosen k. Abhisit as example how to whine on Facebook ?

A court is only as good as the quality of its judges.

The way these guys got their jobs is the root of the problem with the courts.

Fix the constitution, return the senate to the people and we are back on the path to a decent and respectable judiciary.

remind me.

How did Yingluck get her job?

I'll give you a clue, it didn't involve a military Junta. Does that help?

Another clue.

While some are on the trail of clues, if what you represent is to be considered, then one can argue Suthep has had his own moment, a Mussolini moment, which would be qualitatively different from Ms Yingluck's suggested "MLK moment." And Suthep's Goya-like visions still haven't passed. Never will either.

• Like 1

Another clue.

2011-03-23

"Yingluck Shinawatra, the youngest sibling of self-exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has emerged as a leading candidate for the premiership among key figures of the opposition Pheu Thai Party."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/453694-yingluck-shinawatra-heading-pheu-thai-leadership/

Anyway, it was only after then PM Abhisit dissolved the House on the 9th of May that parties really needed to get their act together.

BTW it may indeed be that Thaksin waited a bit before giving the final order to put sister on the top position. That's the privilege of the owner of a political party, who himself of course is not involved as criminal fugitive.

So this statement

The executive committee of the 'thaksin thinks, pheu thai acts' party thought long and hard about it and after due consideration announced the same day "why no, we'll put you as number 1 on the party list".

is still a figment of your imagination.

If you wish to be so dismissive of the views of the Thais that he knows and you so obviously don't, could we add "my thai wife/father in law/uncle/cousin twice removed/the lady at the mom and pop shop" etc to narrow that list down further?

When you write 'most I know" and finish with "Thais will" then your logic is faulty, my dear fabs.

That's why I wrote that those two phrases are meaningless to be used as assumption to base general conclusions on.

Now of course if binji had ended with "get the judiciary "reformed" and most Thai I know will support it with vigor " I would have accepted that statement as logical and most likely correct. Even without having a copy of their Thai ID rolleyes.gif

So, you mean Ms. Yingluck has choosen k. Abhisit as example how to whine on Facebook ?

Would you like to provide a Yingluck statement on facebook that comes anywhere near abhisit's pathetic, arrogant statement

“This person who accuses me – how dare she!”

I'll await your response with anticipation..............................

2011-03-23

So this statement

The executive committee of the 'thaksin thinks, pheu thai acts' party thought long and hard about it and after due consideration announced the same day "why no, we'll put you as number 1 on the party list".

is still a figment of your imagination.

Correct, as all should know by now the executive committee of Pheu Thai has no right to think, they are only supposed to act on orders by their boss, the golf caddy.

The judiciary's power will also enter a vacuum if a major political camp dismisses its power citing discrimination and biased rulings.

A stand has to be made.

A nation cannot exist if the courts continually throw out elected governments on trumped up charges.

The courts are not the last bastion of hope, they are the last remaining stronghold of the anti-democrats.

It is in the courts that the reforms this country so desperately need must begin and the reform process begins with PTP not accepting anymore biased rulings against them.

​Those concerned about a power vacuum should be out campaigning for new elections to be held ASAP

IMHO go back to Dubai. There awaits you fine plump cheeks to plant your lips

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Who's the guy always walking behind Suthep, bent over I think to pick up the money that missed the bag?

Would you like to provide a Yingluck statement on facebook that comes anywhere near abhisit's pathetic, arrogant statement

“This person who accuses me – how dare she!”

I'll await your response with anticipation..............................

"Yingluck posted a message on her Facebook wall that it was unprecedented for the Constitutional Court to take up a case related to personnel administration for deliberation."

"Ms Yingluck criticized the Constitutional Court for taking into consideration an impeachment motion filed by a group of senators against her over the transfer of Mr Tawin from the NSC to the Prime Minister’s Office in 2011. The premier claimed that it had never before seen in the Thai administrative system that the Charter Court would interfere with the government’s appointment of staff."

and the most logical whine:

"She also said the court took on the case even though Mr Tawin had been reinstated as the NSC chief as ordered by the Supreme Administrative Court."

Another clue.

While some are on the trail of clues, if what you represent is to be considered, then one can argue Suthep has had his own moment, a Mussolini moment, which would be qualitatively different from Ms Yingluck's suggested "MLK moment." And Suthep's Goya-like visions still haven't passed. Never will either.

Well, if you put it that way, I guess I should have been equally blunt and have written that the criminal fugitive abroad had told his parties executive committee to put his sister as number 1 on the party list of candidates?

A stand has to be made.

What type of courts do you want ?? where do you select the people who you want, because anything that is ruled against your ideas is biased and politically motivated.

So who do you want to run the courts ????

If these same courts convict an opposition person then in your eyes they did right.. I have heard enough of this tripe, your red party hate to lose--it is apparent where this notion comes from---desert sand comes to mind.

From my neutral stand--merely pointing out truth, not about posting about the government in power--posting about what they are doing to the country when seated there.

You really enjoy getting yourself off, don't you.

When the Associated Press is reporting an upcoming judicial coup in Thailand, it goes into almost every newspaper and news broadcast in the United States. Reuters and other international news agencies have reported the same story - judicial coup in Thailand. It's been reported globally on CNN, BBC, Bloomberg, CNBC - the list gets very long.

The whole world knows what's happening here. The word "coup" is universally known. The term "judicial coup" is immediately recognizable to anyone living in a democracy. Governments too know what is going on here, that justice is injustice and that injustice is justice.

Further, no one in the world is going to accept a prime minister and an entire government being removed by a court because of the transfer of one government employee.

Who's kidding whom around here.

Thailand's Red Shirts brace for 'judicial coup'

image001-png_162613.png

By THANYARAT DOKSONE April 8, 2014 7:41 AM
548da76ecf3ec30d500f6a706700e836.jpg

But now, with growing speculation that Thailand's constitutional court and anti-graft agency may remove Yingluck from office in what critics say would be a "judicial coup," her supporters are gearing up to march on Bangkok themselves.

Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the so-called People's Democratic Reform Committee, told his own cheering crowds in Bangkok this past weekend he would seize power in the name of "the people" if legal rulings are issued against Yingluck's government. He promised to replace the current democratically elected administration with an unelected "people's council".

http://news.yahoo.com/thailands-red-shirts-brace-judicial-coup-111730249.html;_ylt=A0LEV1S2aUdTvUMAlX9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0a2ZiMmNoBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDI5M18x

You actually believe that the world knows only of this wrong -the man being removed ????

It is the rest of the PTP governments wrongs that are gradually emerging that the WORLD are now noticing what is going on.

I believe you have left out some MAJOR wrongs when you posted. If you want to post about the wrongs post them all, NOT pick out one, and speak the world would not agree a government is toppled by this one item.

These bad courts decide against good government------the opposite. Always the same --We don't do wrong--why people pick on us ????

Another clue.

Well, if you put it that way, I guess I should have been equally blunt and have written that the criminal fugitive abroad had told his parties executive committee to put his sister as number 1 on the party list of candidates?

That tells me off. laugh.png

Another clue.

That tells me off. laugh.png

I see that Suthep has to come into the picture every time wrongs are pointed out about Y.S. and PTP and the hangers on.

Funny when you have a colossal amount of money you have a vast following of friends, when the money dries up there are not a handful left.

Soon we are to see the separating of government personnel and coalition due to fright about being implicated. As in a car smash---flee the scene.

A stand has to be made.

So your asking for a country that has no law

I thought thats what we are trying to stop

No.

A country that has a court system that is independent and impartial and basis its decision on facts of law not on the whims of the elite is what many, many millions of Thais are asking for

What "we" (you and Suthep) are trying to stop is democracy and freedom.

Until the court system becomes more independent Thailand will forever be stuck the cycle of coups and political mess.

• Like 1

You really enjoy getting yourself off, don't you.

When the Associated Press is reporting an upcoming judicial coup in Thailand, it goes into almost every newspaper and news broadcast in the United States. Reuters and other international news agencies have reported the same story - judicial coup in Thailand. It's been reported globally on CNN, BBC, Bloomberg, CNBC - the list gets very long.

The whole world knows what's happening here. The word "coup" is universally known. The term "judicial coup" is immediately recognizable to anyone living in a democracy. Governments too know what is going on here, that justice is injustice and that injustice is justice.

Further, no one in the world is going to accept a prime minister and an entire government being removed by a court because of the transfer of one government employee.

Who's kidding whom around here.

Thailand's Red Shirts brace for 'judicial coup'

image001-png_162613.png

By THANYARAT DOKSONE April 8, 2014 7:41 AM
548da76ecf3ec30d500f6a706700e836.jpg

But now, with growing speculation that Thailand's constitutional court and anti-graft agency may remove Yingluck from office in what critics say would be a "judicial coup," her supporters are gearing up to march on Bangkok themselves.

Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the so-called People's Democratic Reform Committee, told his own cheering crowds in Bangkok this past weekend he would seize power in the name of "the people" if legal rulings are issued against Yingluck's government. He promised to replace the current democratically elected administration with an unelected "people's council".

http://news.yahoo.com/thailands-red-shirts-brace-judicial-coup-111730249.html;_ylt=A0LEV1S2aUdTvUMAlX9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0a2ZiMmNoBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDI5M18x

You actually believe that the world knows only of this wrong -the man being removed ????

It is the rest of the PTP governments wrongs that are gradually emerging that the WORLD are now noticing what is going on.

I believe you have left out some MAJOR wrongs when you posted. If you want to post about the wrongs post them all, NOT pick out one, and speak the world would not agree a government is toppled by this one item.

These bad courts decide against good government------the opposite. Always the same --We don't do wrong--why people pick on us ????

PDRC have been in the global headlines the past six months as a street mob besieging the democratically elected government which Suthep as the face of the insurrection is determined to replace with an unelected (still anonymous) "people's council."

The AP and other global news organizations are now quoting Suthep as he says he will "seize power" and appoint his secret council. The only role the global readership and viewership have seen of the courts is to also remove the government in what's being called a "judicial coup."

No one in the world is going to accept a prime minister and an entire government being removed by a court because the PM transferred one government employee. If you think this absurdity will carry any weight with people abroad and in democracies especially, then you have been in Absurdland too long to see the forest from the trees.

Leaving aside your first 2 paragraphs--rants-normal stance.

Your last sentence may well be true IF it was the only wrong committed. As I posted there are other factors why PTP Y.S. have mega probs but again you FAILED to post these, but the international community are aware of them NOT only the solitary point you made.