Is this the best Immigration office in Thailand?

If you have a problem with Chiang Mai Imm, then you have an overall attitude problem. This is an office whose workload has more than doubled over the past few years due to the influx of foreigners moving here, and yet they manage with the same amount of staff. The head of CMI has been begging with BKK for years for a bigger office, more staff, and additional parking. They finally received it and will be moving sometime this year, with an additional 17 new staff. In the 6 years I've been going there for 90 days and yearly retirement, I've only had 1 incident that I would qualify as somewhat a pain, and more than once they have actually gone out of their way to help me.

I'm sure others around Thailand have their favorite, or least favorite office to deal with, but as far as CNX goes, I rate them at or near the top, considering everything they have to put up with.

If you have a problem with Chiang Mai Imm, then you have an overall attitude problem. This is an office whose workload has more than doubled over the past few years due to the influx of foreigners moving here, and yet they manage with the same amount of staff. The head of CMI has been begging with BKK for years for a bigger office, more staff, and additional parking. They finally received it and will be moving sometime this year, with an additional 17 new staff. In the 6 years I've been going there for 90 days and yearly retirement, I've only had 1 incident that I would qualify as somewhat a pain, and more than once they have actually gone out of their way to help me.

I'm sure others around Thailand have their favorite, or least favorite office to deal with, but as far as CNX goes, I rate them at or near the top, considering everything they have to put up with.

Totally concur with Just1Voice's comments! I've been using the CNX office for the past 9 years and have never had a runaround or poor service. Go there ill-prepared and/or with a bad or arrogant attitude and you will surely get the same back. You reap what you sow.

Lots of positive feedback here - for a change.

Be really nice to think all those posting had also told the individual officers dealing with these cases, at the time, about the treatment received.

And/or to pass this praise on to the boss of each of the offices thanks for treatment well received.

Considering the incredibly large volume of people they must deal with on a daily basis,

I think Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration should included on a list as one of the most efficient immigration offices.

The personnel are invariabley efficient and polite, even with having to deal with the farang louts

which make up portion of Pattaya's population.

I've completed 90-day checks, often in 5-minutes and OA/retirement visas are completed and

your passport is ready the same day.

The staff there have indeed upped their ante, the service has IMHO improved in the seven years I've visited them. But the premises are way, way too small for the volume of people passing through and parking is difficult. They ought to move to somewhere with more room.

Chiang Mai is a disaster; but it is not their fault. There are thousands of people, no space, antiquated computers etc etc.It is lucky they segregate and coral the Burmans....

Try Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan...everything done with speed and grace. In Nakhon Phanom the officer has a pile of about 300 Lao passports to deal with. She just shoves them aside we are out of there with whatever we want in minutes

Well, what can I say, we all seem to champion our local office! Its good to know that our lives are not being made more difficult than it needs to be and that we are being treated well as we attempt to obey the rules and not make a nuisance of ourselves and it gives us all a chance to give Thai Immigration a pat on the back for doing a good job, thank you for your support of the service, sometimes we just need to say it. We are quick to complain but not always so quick to praise.

I,d like to nominate Sakhon Nakhon as one of the worst.Average time for 90 day is 60 mins and took me about 4 hours for yearly retirement visa ,a nd yes i had all papers correct.very poor service had to pay 500 baht for residency certificate too.

I notice Koh Samui is not listed as one of the best - I wonder why?

Isn't the Samui office the one with the 5000 baht cover charge at the door?

I have heard of it : even worst than Hua hin ( which is , as said above , fast and efficient but some officers need more money than their colleagues : when the next thread with" what is the most corrupted Immigration office " ? )

I was in and out of Jomtien office yesterday in less than 5 minutes for the 90 day. They are consistently excellent in my experience... even in high season. And I've been going there for almost 7 years

Yes, they can be very good for the 90 day as it is purely for Expats.

As long as you can get through the shirtless mob smoking out front.

But I dread doing the retirement extension and re-entry permit as you are then handled along with others extending their stay, tourists.

That takes a lot longer...particularly for me as I live closer to Laem Chabang than Jomtiem and struggle to get there for the opening..

Edited by jacko45k

Lots of positive feedback here - for a change.

Be really nice to think all those posting had also told the individual officers dealing with these cases, at the time, about the treatment received.

And/or to pass this praise on to the boss of each of the offices thanks for treatment well received.

I always do.

I notice Koh Samui is not listed as one of the best - I wonder why?

Isn't the Samui office the one with the 5000 baht cover charge at the door?

And that's just to get in! 90 day reporting big improvement since bar codes introduced, but any visa changes, extensions etc which require you to go into the "Back Room" be prepared for at least a few hours wait, and more often than not "you come back tomorrow"!

• 5 years later...

Since the last comment is dated back to April 2014, it would be nice to have an update on this topic. Is it only my imagination, or is the service getting worse (especially on the biggest island of Thailand)?

jomtien immigration counter 4 marriage extension in and out with stamped passport in 30 minutes. they are professional, precise and efficient.  thereafter next day home visit by 3 immi officers arrival 12.00 hours , departure 12.15 hours 3 photos taken, 2 forms filled in , wittness questioned. 

wbr

roobaa01

43 minutes ago, joloit said:

Since the last comment is dated back to April 2014, it would be nice to have an update on this topic. Is it only my imagination, or is the service getting worse (especially on the biggest island of Thailand)?

Reverting to the OP, I would have thought it unlikely that lavish praises would still be heaped on Nakhon Sawan these days if my recollection of recent adverse comments about them on here is correct (and that is one big huge "If", by the way)!

I shall suspend any comment about my own local immigration office (Rayong) until after I have (hopefully successfully) applied for my next retirement extension there on Friday!!

Edited by OJAS