Wuling Or Ford Ranger?

EVO

Has anybody got any experience with these comical little vehicles from China?

Im in need of a couple of small flatbeds for the business and these things are the right price, but im not sure how they will fair in the medium term (im not daft enough to think about them for the long term!) and what the after sales is like.

Im attracted by the savings by using them rather than say a second hand Ford Ranger or equivalent.

Advice appreciated.

Well... I think you'd do well not taking any risks with newcomers in to the Thai car market... Most of them don't do so well and just disappear again.

Consider that on a second hand truck (Ford or otherwise, but why Ford??) you won't lose a lot of money when selling again. And dont those Chinese jobs come with petrol engines? Tiny ones, but still?

Just checked and a Wuling costs like 300,000 baht new.. For that you can get a VERY decent Toyota/Isuzu/Ford/etc pick-up that you won't lose a lot of money on when selling. Actually it wouldn't take 300,000, more like 220,000 or so.

So you save money now, and you don't lose much money later when selling. Nobrainer.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Well... I think you'd do well not taking any risks with newcomers in to the Thai car market... Most of them don't do so well and just disappear again.

Consider that on a second hand truck (Ford or otherwise, but why Ford??) you won't lose a lot of money when selling again. And dont those Chinese jobs come with petrol engines? Tiny ones, but still?

Just checked and a Wuling costs like 300,000 baht new.. For that you can get a VERY decent Toyota/Isuzu/Ford/etc pick-up that you won't lose a lot of money on when selling. Actually it wouldn't take 300,000, more like 220,000 or so.

So you save money now, and you don't lose much money later when selling. Nobrainer.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Wuling are part owned by GM altouhgh how well that colaboration goes remains to be seen - either way the Chinese motor industry is likely to dominate the world within the next 2 decades....I don't think they'll dissappear from Thailand too soon.

One of my colleague uses the Wuling for exactly the same kinda work that it will be doing for me and he loves it to death. it also has the advantage of being pocket sized, wich is a godsend in bangkok's more than average traffic.

why did i say Ford Ranger? no particular reason. i used to own a tiger myself, so i fancied a change is all, and i dont rate the old mitsi stradas.

thanks for the suggestion about the kia terdsak. the thought had crossed my mind to be honest, but then i forgot all about them. you dont happen to have a rough idea of the cost f them do ya?

> Wuling are part owned by GM altouhgh

Well, Opel is 100% owned by GM.. Also Daewoo is (was) 100% owned by GM.. Does anyone remember those disasters in Thaland?? :o

> either way the Chinese motor industry is likely to dominate the world

> within the next 2 decades....

True.. but it's anyone's guess which companies will prove to be true players for the long haul and which will just disappear again. Whereas with Ford or Toyota that's not really in doubt.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Some of the Chinese work vehicles I’ve had the misfortune to be associated with in the past couple of years leave a lot to be desired.

They look ok to start with but it doesn’t take long for the cheap built quality, thin bodywork and substandard components to make an appearance.

Some examples from a Toyota Hilux lookalike (Deer).

Door handles regularly break after a month’s use, Rear bumper bent in half from a person standing on it, Cloth seats shred into strings after 3 months, Mirrors fall off. Spare parts unavailable for the ancient engine. The list goes on and on.

I’d think twice before you buy Chinese, the running repair costs could far out way the savings of a cheap purchase price.

> Wuling are part owned by GM altouhgh

Well, Opel is 100% owned by GM.. Also Daewoo is (was) 100% owned by GM.. Does anyone remember those disasters in Thaland?? :o

> either way the Chinese motor industry is likely to dominate the world

> within the next 2 decades....

True.. but it's anyone's guess which companies will prove to be true players for the long haul and which will just disappear again. Whereas with Ford or Toyota that's not really in doubt.

Cheers,

Chanchao

GM are still selling "Opel" and various other models here but they put a Chevy badge on them. Also Izusu with the Chevy badge.