English Word List for Pratom?

Is anyone aware if there is an official English word list for Pratom grades, or if national exams, such as the O-Net exam, use a defined vocabulary?

I'm hoping to locate an official word list. Failing that, I'm hoping to identify any "de facto" unofficial word lists that test makers may rely on when constructing the exam.

The "Basic Education Core Curriculum" document shared by Sirchai on the forum a couple of months ago says that P.6 students should be able to use a vocabulary of between 1050 - 1200 words, but there was no reference made to a word list. Since there is a defined standard for the number of words that a P.6 graduate should know, I'm guessing that somewhere there is a list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the Thai MOE has an official word list, but the Dolch Word Lists would be a good place to start. Just google "Dolch Word List" and you should find plenty of useful results.

Thanks for the reminder about the Dolch sight word lists. They cover up to 3rd grade level, and only have about 250 words, so it isn't comprehensive enough for P.6 students, but still it's a beginning. I have also found a few other "most commonly used" English word lists that are helpful.

I was looking for something that would be more directly connected to P.6 curriculum expectations. But perhaps there is none.

Edited by joespnet

I have a good list you can use. I made it about 23 years ago. It has 1100 words with Thai and English word listings. Grade level of about 7. smile.png Please e-mail me.

We don't allow email addresses on the open forum, please use the PM function.

I have a good list you can use. I made it about 23 years ago. It has 1100 words with Thai and English word listings. Grade level of about 7. See the attached file... I updated the list a bit more....Enjoy.

Thank you very much, John. This is wonderful. Much appreciated.

You can also use the listing to help you learn Thai. The words are very common in my opinion. Good luck!

Thanks a lot John, really useful and appreciated. Wish you a Happy New Year as well. Will "update" the list soon.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Great! Thanks for all for the comments. Actually, some of the Thai words could have an extra word added but I think it's good enough for a start. By the way, I translate Thai documents to English as well. Everyone have a Happy and Safe Songran!

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 1

Now THAT'S what I call very USEFUL - indeed! Thanks, John. thumbsup.gif

I even learned a new Thai word just opening the doc to see what was inside.....great!

Thanks again - and a Happy Songkran to you, too!

Cheers biggrin.png

Oops! A wee mistake with "contract". I think - should be "contact", as in 'contact me, if you're interested'....

Edited by scooterboy

The word "contract" is correct in this case because the word was used for "contracting a disease". It needs to read as "Dtit Dtaw Rok" in Thai. However, I do need another word for "contact" as in "contacting a person". This is an old listing. Feel free to correct and/or add some more English/Thai words. Happy Songran to you too!

Edited by johnh869

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone is welcome to update the list with more Thai and English words/phrases. However, I think the list should be limited to about 2000 words for beginner purposes. If you wish to read a Thai newspaper without referring to a Thai to English dictionary every minute then I would recommend you have at least a ten thousand Thai/English word vocabulary. Enjoy.....

Edited by johnh869