Parents urged to invest in child car seats

webfact

Parents urged to invest in child car seats
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai children's deaths in road accidents, second only to deaths by drowning, have been blamed on as few as 1 per cent of the country's parents using child car seats, a recent study showed yesterday.

Since child car seats can boost safety for infants by 70 per cent, Dr Adisak Plitponkarnpim, director of Ramathibodi Hospital's Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Centre, called on the government to cut down on import tax on the product so more parents can afford them.

There is a 30-per-cent surcharge on child car seats at present. He also urged the authorities to strictly enforce traffic laws, adding that parents should put their children in the backseat as it is five times safer.

In 2011, 614 children under the age of 15 died from road accidents, of which 21 per cent were infants and of the total, 101 were inside a car. He said such child deaths rose significantly during the Songkran holidays, pointing out that of the children killed in road accidents, most were either not wearing a seatbelt or were not secured in car seats.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-11

• Like 1

These numbers are nothing compared to the number of little ones riding on or carried about on motorcycles.

And how about the deaths of Thai's riding in the back of pickup trucks and being involved in accidents. This is especially true when I see children riding in the beds of trucks.

Maybe the safety organizations here in Thailand can address child car seats after addressing children on motorcycles and in truck beds.

how about the carrying of babies and small children while riding a motorbike one handed? how about the motorcycle passenger carrying a baby or small child? how about the fact that other thai's see this happening and do nothing about it!

the life and safety of children counts for very little for many thai people. sad but true.

Yes, indeed, invest in a child car seat but pile on 20-30 standing people on the back of the

pick up, overload rickety, dilapidated vans and buses, and above all, please drink and drive....fast...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

614 children younger than 15 died in accidents

101 were inside a car.

So, 513 were not inside a car.

I think motorcycles are the main problem here. I often see whole families on one motorcycle, with the babies squeezed between the adults.

They used to call it population control , with the whole family on a motor bike, haven't heard that phrase for awhile.

Here is what is really sad I have always said to my sister in law that she needs to get a car seat to protect the kids But nope No Car Seat. Well last week they had a car accident with the kids and the younger one hit his head and go hurt

So you would think then that would get a car seat RIGHT ? Nope will not invest 6.000 baht to get a child restraint to protect her kids

This is crazy

• Like 1

In 20 years here I have never seen a Thai child in a car seat.

I don't even know if they are available here in Thailand...and in any case....parents like to have their kids on their laps in the front.......baby seats are expensive.....so mom and pop wouldn't use them!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

614 children younger than 15 died in accidents

101 were inside a car.

So, 513 were not inside a car.

I think motorcycles are the main problem here. I often see whole families on one motorcycle, with the babies squeezed between the adults.

You can easily see numerous motorcycles with three and sometimes four. Children are always squeezed on - I've seen children often sitting on the shoulders of adults on Thai motorcycles on Sukhumvit Road and the highways.

Here is what is really sad I have always said to my sister in law that she needs to get a car seat to protect the kids But nope No Car Seat. Well last week they had a car accident with the kids and the younger one hit his head and go hurt

So you would think then that would get a car seat RIGHT ? Nope will not invest 6.000 baht to get a child restraint to protect her kids

This is crazy

welcome to Thailand

Kids have no value till they are grown up and can work on the farm

My car has a car seat in it and every one asks, What is that for

post-13618-0-21396100-1397198114_thumb.j

• Like 2

From my observations,most children are transported on motor cycles.........I'm looking forward to seeing three child car seats mounted to the seat of a mo cy.

For those members who don't have the privelage of the thai suicidal attempts to rid them selves of their children

goto

Its a real eye opener

I don't even know if they are available here in Thailand...and in any case....parents like to have their kids on their laps in the front.......baby seats are expensive.....so mom and pop wouldn't use them!

Car seats yes are yes expensive

but the biggest challenge I have ever had was trying to show my wife how much the life of our daughter is worth

she just can not understand

" Children are something you give to parents to keep them happy in their older year"

• Like 1

Car seats yes are yes expensive

but the biggest challenge I have ever had was trying to show my wife how much the life of our daughter is worth

she just can not understand

" Children are something you give to parents to keep them happy in their older year"

You don't have to spend stupid money to give your child a chance. You can pick up a perfectly adequate car seat for 3500 baht. Folks who are spending 750k-1.5M on a car can afford that. If you put a priceless and fragile treasure worth 10 billion baht in a car and said to a Thai, you have to drive from A to B at 70 mph for 500 miles, they would restrain and protect the cargo from damage. Put their children in whose value is beyond monetary measure (well mine are to me anyway) and what do they do............nothing. All the police have to do is stop those that they see breaking the law, impose a whopping on the spot fine and within 2 months most thais would be driving round with seat belts on with kids in the back seat. Simple, hit them where it clearly hurts the most, in their wallet.

• Like 1

Quote ""strictly enforce traffic laws"" cheesy.gif

How would they manage to do that ??

Even if Child Car Seats were to become mandatory, I'm sad to say that many people, not only Thais, would almost have to be forced at gun-point, to Strap the Kids into their seats.

Imagine all the excuses: "only just going around the village; the baby feels so restricted; buy what if the car catches fire?:" You could write a Book of Excuses just like those for riding motorcycles the wrong way and for not wearing helmets.

Edited by Torrens54

Saw a mother driving in her Volvo the other week with baby seat. Only problem was it was in front passenger. did who bother reading the instructions? Does she know what air bags fo

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are sold in every department store in Thailand. There are millions of Benz in Thailand so it's not like they can't afford it

There is a notification in thai and english in my toyota. Airbags can kill a bairn under 12. Try explaining. In one ear and out the other. When my kids with me its seat belt,seat belt. Then on a bike with no helmet. Crazy.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app