Importing a Motorcycle

Adeeos

I have heard of night mares doing this.If ya like all kind of hustles,maybe paying twice as much as the things worth go for it.

I have read stories where the import tax was so expensive that the guy couldn't get his bike.Thai government went and sold it.

Have fun.My advice sell it and buy something in Thailand.

Go ahead and do it and let us know how it works out

How can you say that, moe666???

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. That says it all. Thailand protects its motorcycle industry in a way that discourages anyone to import a bike, unless you really don't care about money.

Edited by Dario

Easy to say no problem, if he can do it and be successful we all want to know about it down to the final detail. This is like posting on the visa thread how do I get a retirement visa. Are you too lazy to do a bit of research that you have to post something that has been posted a thousand times. Probably a troll any way.

Edited by moe666

Go ahead and do it and let us know how it works out

How can you say that, moe666???

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. That says it all. Thailand protects its motorcycle industry in a way that discourages anyone to import a bike, unless you really don't care about money.

Pretty much very informed post

The simple FACTS are that you cannot import a used motorcycle into Thailand without a special permit. The import permit for a used motorcycle is extremely difficult to get, only one person can sign this permit and offering this person some tea money will probably get you arrested.

The only way to get a used motorcycle into the country is if you're member of one of the classic motorcycle clubs, and you want to bring in a classic motorcycle.... Most motorcycles people on this forum want to import don't qualify for being a classic... And without the help of a motorcycle club you probably will never get a import permit.

What happens if you import a motorcycle without a import permit? The motorcycle will arrive at the Thai customs and you will need to show a valid import permit, if not you have two options... send it back (transport cost prepay) or just don't import it and ownership will automatic transfer to the Thai revenue department (vehicles like this will be sold at “public” auctions).

Even if by magic you would be able to obtain a valid import permit for a used motorcycle, this motorcycle would still need to be tested for road safety and compliance with the strict Thai environmental rules (for example a standard BMW R1200R imported by Thai national returning home after working in Europe didn't pass Thai exhaust emission testing, BMW Thailand had to “up-load” another fuel-map into the electric fuel injection system to make the bike pass environmental testing).

The simple FACTS are that you cannot import a used motorcycle into Thailand without a special permit. The import permit for a used motorcycle is extremely difficult to get, only one person can sign this permit and offering this person some tea money will probably get you arrested.

The only way to get a used motorcycle into the country is if you're member of one of the classic motorcycle clubs, and you want to bring in a classic motorcycle.... Most motorcycles people on this forum want to import don't qualify for being a classic... And without the help of a motorcycle club you probably will never get a import permit.

What happens if you import a motorcycle without a import permit? The motorcycle will arrive at the Thai customs and you will need to show a valid import permit, if not you have two options... send it back (transport cost prepay) or just don't import it and ownership will automatic transfer to the Thai revenue department (vehicles like this will be sold at “public” auctions).

Even if by magic you would be able to obtain a valid import permit for a used motorcycle, this motorcycle would still need to be tested for road safety and compliance with the strict Thai environmental rules (for example a standard BMW R1200R imported by Thai national returning home after working in Europe didn't pass Thai exhaust emission testing, BMW Thailand had to “up-load” another fuel-map into the electric fuel injection system to make the bike pass environmental testing).

Not the same rules if it is imported as parts. It is still out of this world as far as pricing goes.

Not the same rules if it is imported as parts. It is still out of this world as far as pricing goes.

If you import a motorcycle as parts, you need an license from the government to be able to assemble the motorcycle and get it legally registered for road use.

Even if you assemble the motorcycle as a registered motorcycle assembling company, the motorcycle still need to be tested for road safety and environmental rules. If the motorcycle is assembled by a company not known too the department of land transport you probably get a bit extra attention so likely you have come back a few times.... Every visit will set you back for about 50 to 80,000 THB.

Also the registering fee for a motorcycle built from parts will give you a headache with paperwork and will cost also something like 60,000 to 90,000 THB (often depending on the engine size)...

So in the end, yes it's still possible to built a motorcycle from parts – but it will cost you more than buying a nice brand new bike in Thailand... and you enjoy riding much quicker. I know people who have built motorcycles from parts and they sometimes have to wait a long time before you finally get the the official papers....

I accidentally imported 2 motorbikes before. A bit of tea money and no problem. The guy wanted them for his property so no need for registration.

You have me intrigued. How does a grown up person with normal faculties accidentally import 2 motorcycles to Thailand?

I accidentally imported 2 motorbikes before. A bit of tea money and no problem. The guy wanted them for his property so no need for registration.

You have me intrigued. How does a grown up person with normal faculties accidentally import 2 motorcycles to Thailand?

Maybe he was trying for Malaysia?

The agent that exported them didn't know their were restrictions on importing bikes into Thailand.