Cleanest/Dirtiest Cities in Thailand

geriatrickid

neverdie, on 26 Jun 2014 - 00:37, said:
DP25, on 11 Apr 2014 - 22:52, said:

Nan is by far the cleanest city I've seen in Thailand. I rented a bicycle and rode all over the town and I literally did not see ANY trash, not so much as a plastic bag from 7-11 on the ground. There are no trash piles anywhere and there are garbage cans everywhere, both plastic ones and these giant metal bowls. I saw garbage trucks driving around collecting the garbage cans like in a normal city back home, quickly going from garbage can to garbage can, not sorting through giant piles of trash in the street. There were also people out sweeping the streets at 5am. Place seemed a bit boring, but it was very clean.

Agreed, Nan is the cleanest place I've been to and I've been going there for years.

Pattaya, dirty, filthy place, full of dirty filthy foreigners.

Nan for me to,good place to good air

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live near Hua Hin and behind closed doors ie away from the front its the same old same old, everyone chucks their rubbish where they want, everyday the bus for school goes past my house and the kids chuck their rubbish out, motorcyclists eat something and toss it off the back, rubbish in nice scenic areas just dumped................nope they coudlnt care less.......would you like photos?

typical septic self-righteous denial trip.

we have sword affidavits from the vast majority of pattaya beach lady boys and black mamas that geriatricrat as he is know, is the fastest most prolific rat up the drain pipe yet.

Edited by blaaack mama

• 8 months later...

When my family come to visit they always comment how clean it is. On Sukhumvit there are plenty of cleaning people. It is immaculate. Cleanest street in Thailand. Far cleaner than city streets in the UK, that's for sure!

Cleaner than the countryside sois in Isaan, were i live. All my neighbours are competing to have the biggest garbage pile, i think.

Provincial capitals I have been impressed with (in terms of cleanliness, being pretty, general upbeat atmosphere), in descending order:

Really nice

Ubon (#1 in my book)

Surin

Khon Kaen

Hua Hin

Mahasarakham

So-so

Buriram

Sisaket

Roi Et

Udon

Nong Khai

Chiang Rai

Trat

Mukdahan

Nakhorn Phanom

Aranyaprathet

Not so much...

Chonburi

Chanthaburi

Nakhorn Pathom

Chiang Mai

Ayutthya

Khorat

...and Bangkok may be dirty, but I love it to death! When I lived in Thailand (6 years), I hardly ever left BKK...

Edited by Saastrajaa

When my family come to visit they always comment how clean it is. On Sukhumvit there are plenty of cleaning people. It is immaculate. Cleanest street in Thailand. Far cleaner than city streets in the UK, that's for sure!

Cleaner than the countryside sois in Isaan, were i live. All my neighbours are competing to have the biggest garbage pile, i think.

Ha, What you on , Thailand cleaner than the UK. wounder why i pay Council tax of £1300 a year. Does Thailand have green energy, do they have regular Rubbish collections, do the Public stand up and point out when people fly tip , can a Thai be fined for dropping litter, and if so when was the last time you saw them get fined, In your dreams,

Ha, What you on , Thailand cleaner than the UK. wounder why i pay Council tax of £1300 a year. Does Thailand have green energy, do they have regular Rubbish collections, do the Public stand up and point out when people fly tip , can a Thai be fined for dropping litter, and if so when was the last time you saw them get fined, In your dreams,

He should take a look at the khlongs around Lad Prao...absolutely disgusting.

Pai seemed okay,north of Chiang mia,but as i have said before once Thai's drop a peice of litter for them it ceases to exist anymore, i moaned at my mrs yesterday about all the rubbish strewn around her shop which is opposite our house,she blamed this on the thunder storm the other night,the wind was strong sure but to blow bottles of Leo in every direction,i think not,will go and check later,am in the doghouse already for taking a hammer to the non stick pan with half its coating scratched off cos they can't be bothered using the proper plastic spatula, i told them before teflon is dangerous when damaged,the thing sat outside for a day until they started re-using it the pan could possibly be over there by now with them attempting repairs,ye gods,i despair sometimes,methinks i shall have to tread carefully today as i am again 'clazy falang'

Yes I reacted when i visited Pai as well, very clean. Also didn't see a single rat or cockroach, felt very refreshing.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Surat Thani wins the award every year. God what a dump. Has corruption written all over it and islands are not much better. The cleanest keeping that place a secret for myself. Peaceful, beautiful, clean, no bars and very few foreigners.

You are a religious loner....?

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Religious no, loner no. Enjoy quiet, peaceful , friendly Thais , and foreigners i am not embarrassed to be around because they look like pigs. Is that a crime?

15095060_1271315032888791_1411668343457132583_n.jpg

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Religious no, loner no. Enjoy quiet, peaceful , friendly Thais , and foreigners i am not embarrassed to be around because they look like pigs. Is that a crime?

15095060_1271315032888791_1411668343457132583_n.jpg

So if one looks like "your" pig but is a nice guy you will reject them...?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

So if one looks like "your" pig but is a nice guy you will reject them...?

I would in any country. Hi Mom hi Dad look at the pig i dragged home. birds of a feather remember the saying? If you do not have any self respect for how you look more so in a country where you are a GUEST do not be shocked if the locals treat you badly. The biggest complaint i hear from most Thais are how dirty looking and sloppy most foreigners are both men and women. I have to agree. If you read some of the other posts from others you will notice flithy foreigners are often mentioned. ok lets get back on subject about garbage of the unhuman kind.

1620372_630195767118180_7985771321857597503_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

I would in any country. Hi Mom hi Dad look at the pig i dragged home. birds of a feather remember the saying? If you do not have any self respect for how you look more so in a country where you are a GUEST do not be shocked if the locals treat you badly. The biggest complaint i hear from most Thais are how dirty looking and sloppy most foreigners are both men and women. I have to agree. If you read some of the other posts from others you will notice flithy foreigners are often mentioned. ok lets get back on subject about garbage of the unhuman kind.

We are on topic, I am replying to your comments....Your photo means nothing....Your blanket "farang" comment does...Anyhoooo, Quasimodo was a nice guy, but you would not like him am sure....:saai:

The garbage problem is one of the biggest reasons I am considering leaving. Along with all of the general environmental degradation and pollution. It is truly a shame because it is something that can be prevented very easily. I can't even imagine if the crazy tourism minister gets even half way to the goal of 100 million visitors. 

The general gives all kinds of orders why does he not say anything about this? Is he just Thai and doesn't notice the problem either? It is just absolutely unbelievable that this will become a national crisis before anybody even begins to think about the consequences.

To those that say if I don't like it leave, don't worry I am working on it.

• 9 months later...

I used to live in Trang and the place is a hospital compared to Pattaya where I lived for so many years that I finally ran out of tolerance for filth and soi dogs that I have moved to the Philippines and although there is poverty of course the people clean the streets in front of their houses and don't wait for government to do it. One more thing about Trang....no electric, telephone wires etc. around the railroad center of town, all underground and huge garbage containers made out of truck tires line all streets and are used.

On 11/28/2016 at 4:49 PM, anotheruser said:

The garbage problem is one of the biggest reasons I am considering leaving. Along with all of the general environmental degradation and pollution. It is truly a shame because it is something that can be prevented very easily. I can't even imagine if the crazy tourism minister gets even half way to the goal of 100 million visitors. 

The general gives all kinds of orders why does he not say anything about this? Is he just Thai and doesn't notice the problem either? It is just absolutely unbelievable that this will become a national crisis before anybody even begins to think about the consequences.

To those that say if I don't like it leave, don't worry I am working on it.

I'm done....Bislig City, Mindanao. Near beautiful Davao City.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 0:03 PM, chrisinth said:

Its funny what we see in the short term. I remember that one of the key factors about me moving from Pattaya to Phitsanulok many years ago was how clean Phits looked compared to Pattaya. Now that I've been here I notice the 'hidden' mess a lot more.

You made a very good point GK about certain tourism areas not making the effort, I have also noticed this. It is not what tourists want to see, and IMHO, why a greater effort isn't given to deal with this by the authorities has always baffled me. I have little against Pattaya, I loved my time there, but the rubbish was always an eyesore.

Cleaning up the trash really does make a difference, if only a visual illusion...............thumbsup.gif

In my experience, tourist towns are filthy, because the money is "diverted". IMO the people in charge care not a whit for tourists as long as they keep coming and paying.

It all comes down to the people in charge. Lamphun is disgusting, while towns like Lampang and Phayao make an effort.

The big road to Hang Dong outside the most popular shopping mall in Chiang Mai, the Central Airport, is filthy, the buildings decrepit, the infrastructure crumbling. Yet, C M is awash with money for yet even more malls and superhighways.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:23 PM, Mitkof Island said:

Tourists pay to be here. It's their choice as how to dress. When Thailand gives out citizenship for free, I'll change my dress habits.

I rarely see a Thai refusing to take tourists money.

I agree that Chiangmai is filthy as most larger Thai cities . There is no policy the homeowners have to keep their property to a level of standard beautification or sort of . If it is written in law it would improve the sight in major cities a lot .Goververment starting with less polution and traffic crazyness solutions in return perhaps the locals can agree to work together ......but not anytime soon .....

On 4/12/2014 at 0:06 PM, yermanee said:

Khon Kaen struck me as a nice clean city.

Pattaya has improved a lot in the last 20 years.

Yermanee wai.gif

You must be joking!!!

Pattaya/Jomtien is full of trash in every corner.

They even filled up some small lakes with rubbish.

It's a disgusting place. I can't understand that people are going back there.

On 12/04/2014 at 8:10 AM, HeavyDrinker said:

One of the cleanest places in Thailand for me was Chanthaburi where we lived from 2002-2003. The centre of the 'old town with it's maze like streets wasn't too clean but away from that and the spotless Taksin The Great Park was a real credit to the town seemingly constantly staffed by gardeners maintaining the place. I always felt they could have utilised the riverside areas more apart from a handful of restaurants and bars there is little by the river.

One of the most unpleasant was Chiang Mai. Dreadful traffic management, planning, piles of litter all around the town and the less said about the air quality the better. I actually went hoping to escape the smog and heat of BKK but found CM worse. It was like soup at times. There weren't half some scruffy 'expats' there all acting like they'd made some amazing Columbus-like discovery, while looking down their noses at us Bangkok expats, which didn't add to the appeal.

Although off subject I agree with you about CM-a tedious, dirty sh#t hole dominated by men in uniforms and habituated by the worst kind of smug, hippy, veggie tourists. Gimme Pats anyday. Up on Pratumnak Cosy beach is filthy but the other Pratumnak beaches are pretty clean. This is mirrored by the sois running up to them.

18 hours ago, The manic said:

Although off subject I agree with you about CM-a tedious, dirty sh#t hole dominated by men in uniforms and habituated by the worst kind of smug, hippy, veggie tourists. 

One of the many reasons, besides smog, that we left CM is exactly that - the ahole smug expats - the city is full of them. I am not talking about the visitors or those that work there, but the Expats living there long term. We moved to Isaan and met much friendlier Expats - and the air is much better too.

Currently 'serving penance' back in Aus waiting for pension, but in the year or so we lived in Isaan, I met more decent Expats than in nearly 4 years in CM. And yet everywhere you look on the net, they say CM is wonderful - but the Expats sure aint - lots of creepy old men (and women).  I thought it was like that everywhere in Thailand - until we moved to Isaan.

But CM is better than Pattaya and most parts of that coast from Chonburi down to Rayong. That is only from a visitor's perspective - never stayed anywhere more than 2 weeks - but probably about right. Hua Hin is like Tokyo compared to Pattaya, and most places in Isaan look much cleaner than most parts of CM. 

Old thread but still applicable.

Of all the places ive visited in Thailand over the years worst for filthiness  Bangkok without doubt. Closely followed by Chiang Mai.

Cleanist cities (now i not saying no filth just cleanist).

Khon Kaen

Udon Thani

Mukdahan. 

Worst place for smug expats as someone put it.(if TV forum was a city hands down first place lol).

Tied joint first 

Bangkok

Chiang Mia

Udon Thani.

This is of course my opinion whirch will not be shared by all.