Cleanest/Dirtiest Cities in Thailand

geriatrickid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khon Kaen struck me as a nice clean city.

Pattaya has improved a lot in the last 20 years.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yermanee, did you stay in a hotel in Khon kaen?

Did you go around at all?

Did you try to walk on any pavements that they are not full of vendors and trash?

Please show me the clean parts so I can enjoy myself too.

I find it cleaner than most also.....stayed at the I-Hotel for a meeting....Very Clean Hotel Edited by Thaiready

My missus was forever throwing crap out of the window. I pulled her about it. She said she didnt like the man who owned the land.

Shes stopped littering now. I think Thais just dont seem to notice the mess the same

Clean: Fishermans Village, Boput, Samui.

Dirty: Bang Saen

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From the OP; " I also noticed that Surat Thani and Nahkon Si Thammarat were at the bottom of the cleanliness scale with garbage everywhere."

One reason is that down south, public litter bins have been removed as they may be a repository for bombs.

Sorry to say that, SeaStallion, that is utter nonsense.

I live half way between Surat and NakhonST. There are plenty of garbage cans and there is a very well

functioning garbage collection system, almost daily. Still there is plenty of trash all over the places as nobody seems to care.

Even the better hotels and resorts don't worry about the garbage around their broken garbage cans in front of their entrances and on

their beaches.

A lot of Thai picnicers on the beaches; they just leave their trash behind. After the holidays it will be truckloads of trash on the beaches

and on both sides of the beach road.

That's what killed me about khanom. Very nice beach, quiet, so much potential, but so much rubbish and construction debris dumping.

Chiang Mai has clean streets, not because we have rubbish bins but for the street sweepers...locals and employed who are out daily cleaning up.

The garbage truck is out every few days.

Despite this many vacant blocks are strewn with litter and there are a lot of abandoned cars gathering dust in the old city.

My missus was forever throwing crap out of the window. I pulled her about it. She said she didnt like the man who owned the land.

Shes stopped littering now. I think Thais just dont seem to notice the mess the same

That's unusual, most of the fishermans villages are among the most disgustingly filthy places of Thailand.

From the OP; " I also noticed that Surat Thani and Nahkon Si Thammarat were at the bottom of the cleanliness scale with garbage everywhere."

One reason is that down south, public litter bins have been removed as they may be a repository for bombs.

I live half way between Surat and NakhonST. There are plenty of garbage cans and there is a very well

functioning garbage collection system, almost daily. Still there is plenty of trash all over the places as nobody seems to care.

Even the better hotels and resorts don't worry about the garbage around their broken garbage cans in front of their entrances and on

their beaches.

A lot of Thai picnicers on the beaches; they just leave their trash behind. After the holidays it will be truckloads of trash on the beaches

That's what killed me about khanom. Very nice beach, quiet, so much potential, but so much rubbish and construction debris dumping.

That's what you see about everywhere and all the time, I see 'Thai' littering, and dumping garbage on and along the road, in the klongs, in the mountains, on the islands in the ocean.

It would be so good if they didn't do that and properly managed their garbage, but that would require an 'far to much to expect' change in their mentality and behaviour.

So this unlikely going to happen any time soon if not ever.

The wife aand I have discussed this lack of trash cans, and she seems to think that the reason for the lack of cans, is that the Thai people tend to steal them.

If they would put some effort in the idea that there are solutions possible to handle this than Thailand could be a lot cleaner and a lot more enjoyable country to live in or to visit.

That's unusual, most of the fishermans villages are among the most disgustingly filthy places of Thailand.

Not a lot of fishing goes on in Fishermans Village, Boput. Its a nice little tourist town. It is nice for a day or two.

Krabi was nice.

For out and away from the beaches and tourist traps/hawkers

Udon, and Nong Khai....and then west along the Mekong.... head up the mountains just two hours. Clean and refreshing...

no air pollution..... way less traffic.... great scenery (looking down in loei towards the mekong)

Worst...BKK

Khon Kaen struck me as a nice clean city.

Pattaya has improved a lot in the last 20 years.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yermanee, did you stay in a hotel in Khon kaen?

Did you go around at all?

Did you try to walk on any pavements that they are not full of vendors and trash?

Please show me the clean parts so I can enjoy myself too.

Khon Kaen is Filth Incarnate.

Yermanee must be blind, or his post might represent his aspirations for Khon Kaen only.

Pai seemed okay,north of Chiang mia,but as i have said before once Thai's drop a peice of litter for them it ceases to exist anymore, i moaned at my mrs yesterday about all the rubbish strewn around her shop which is opposite our house,she blamed this on the thunder storm the other night,the wind was strong sure but to blow bottles of Leo in every direction,i think not,will go and check later,am in the doghouse already for taking a hammer to the non stick pan with half its coating scratched off cos they can't be bothered using the proper plastic spatula, i told them before teflon is dangerous when damaged,the thing sat outside for a day until they started re-using it the pan could possibly be over there by now with them attempting repairs,ye gods,i despair sometimes,methinks i shall have to tread carefully today as i am again 'clazy falang'

Pai seemed okay,north of Chiang mia,but as i have said before once Thai's drop a peice of litter for them it ceases to exist anymore, i moaned at my mrs yesterday about all the rubbish strewn around her shop which is opposite our house,she blamed this on the thunder storm the other night,the wind was strong sure but to blow bottles of Leo in every direction,i think not,will go and check later,am in the doghouse already for taking a hammer to the non stick pan with half its coating scratched off cos they can't be bothered using the proper plastic spatula, i told them before teflon is dangerous when damaged,the thing sat outside for a day until they started re-using it the pan could possibly be over there by now with them attempting repairs,ye gods,i despair sometimes,methinks i shall have to tread carefully today as i am again 'clazy falang'

Don't like the litter opposite your house? Pick it up?

Mistake? You should have bought a new pan, exchanged it and then "completely" destroyed it. You haven't provided an alternative so they'll continue to use it.

Lots of complaints on here but how many routinely pick up garbage from outside their houses?

Don't like the litter opposite your house? Pick it up?

Mistake? You should have bought a new pan, exchanged it and then "completely" destroyed it. You haven't provided an alternative so they'll continue to use it.

Lots of complaints on here but how many routinely pick up garbage from outside their houses?

Mate,i often do go round picking up the garbage,as no one else does and as for the pan they wont be using it now,and i have given the wife money for a new one,the point i was trying to make is i cannot understand why they use the metal spatula instead of the proper plastic one that will not damage the coating,they are right next to each other in the kitchen drawer,it is just total laziness,i have no doubt the new pan will suffer the same fate,unless they get a ordinary one,the last of which had the bottom almost burnt out,and now is used as a saucer for one of my ferns,but why is it just up to me to pick up the garbage,surely they can as well,also damaged teflon coatings are very bad health wise,so i only had their best intrests at heart.

Jomtien is akin to that pipe the guy crawled through to escape from jail in the Shawshank Redemption.

The rubbish on the beach is incredible, the general rubbish in the streets is beyond belief.

I often plan my journey around smells, the stench of the large rubbish bins on the beachfront is vile.

Not rocket science, empty them often and clean them!

Beach should not qualify for that noun, in Europe I see tractors out early each day to retrieve rubbish from the beach and comb the sand.

Not a chance of that happening here because Thai people don't care about anything that does not directly affect them.

Minimum effort to get by and nothing more.

Several decades ago nearly all items in Thailand were sold in biodegradable packaging. Typically a leaf tied with a vine or for dry items scrap paper. Thai people were in the habit of just tossing these wappings wherever they pleased and the tropical heat and damp air soon digested the discarded wrappers. Visitors to Thailand even then complained about the refuse carelessly tossed about but at least the refuse was mainly biodegradable. Then came wax impregnated paper and cardboard followed by the now ubiquitous plastics. Nearly immortal trash just as carelessly tossed. The solution is probably to ban all packaging that is not biodegradable or recyclable and to compost everything else. Thailand could become the hub if clean and no need to compare cities.

There is no clean place in Thailand ...... coffee1.gif

Not true. Khanchanaburi, go to the Death Railway Museum and environs and you will not find even a cigarette butt on the ground. Go for a walk, a long walk if you have the energy and you will find no rubbish. Plenty of rubbish bins and signs asking you not to litter. Asking for respect works for all nationalities.

their beaches.

Ok. I generalised too widely. Hat Yai city has no rubbish bins, and I was told it was because of bombs.

Bankrud, a village that belongs to Bangsaphan, Prachuap Khiri Khan province seems to be the cleanest place for me.

The most trash is being produced in Pattaya, also a lot of human trash can be seen on the roads at any time.

Some words about Rayong. So many Japanese plastic factories create a very serious air and water pollution, the cancer rate is unbelievable high.

Ko Samet was a little paradise 20 years ago, before the mass tourism started.. Wouldn't go there again now.

I think cities in Isaan are pretty much similar, you'll find dirty and clean places everywhere.

Whilst I agree with you about the beaches and ko Samet, the business owners have a fruitless task of cleaning Mae Rampung after every tide as all that rubbish comes down from Bangkok etc on the tides.

I would be interested to see data regarding your cancer statement as I live here !!

• 2 months later...

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread for the sake of it, but would just like to add some observations. Having lived in several places for well over a decade, from what I've seen from both milling about and driving the roads, it seems the south is a lot less clean than the north. The town of Songkhla, for instance, is very grubby, from litter and grimy street surfaces to tatty beaches and dirty tap water even. Messy projects remain left in an unacceptable state for months on end, even right in the main tourist areas.

This town has a certain charm however and massive potential, but I'm afraid to say is letdown by its people. It's a fishery and oil hub and is much richer than most with high land prices etc, so money isn't the issue. Not to make this a north vs south thing, but comparisons need to be made as there does seem an air of indolent in the latter and an anything goes attitude.

As an example, the roads: having driven all over the country on two and four wheels, it is the absolute worst here with unbelievable maneuvers seen even on the shortest journey. Quality of the surfaces is crud, there is glass all over the place and I've never seen a road sweeper or anyone street cleaning.

Anyway, not to rant or rubbish (:)) the place entirely, but this is the dirtiest town for me. Hat Yai in comparison, though a featureless, somewhat boring city, is a lot cleaner. Such a shame.

Conclusion: I'm thinking it must be something to do with the heat lol.

Impossible to answer unless everyone has the same point of reference. what one person classes as dirty another may see as just cluttered.

Its all about individual opinion and what the point of comparison is.

You cant just say X is the dirtiest, dirtiest in comparison to what ?

Pointless.

Lower Suk in Bangkok is easily the grubbiest place I know of in SE Asia - even Jakarta doesnt have that layer of black muck on the footpaths - but Pattaya still takes the cake for illegal dump sites right next to business and residential premises. Interesting that the OP nominated Phuket as another town where locals dont appear to care about their environment and I come back to the same point I've made about Pattaya before - how many of the Thais who live here actually consider this town their 'home' ? If the reports here are anything to go by Isaan folk dont get too upset about litter out the front of their own homes back in the provinces - transplant many of those people to Pattaya / Phuket, throw in a notoriously corrupt Police Farce and I guess it was only a matter of time. That said, Australian councils are continually forced to fine people for illegally dumping rubbish - including the lowlifes who use charity bins to dump all manner of crap - and Pattaya is still not a patch on Naples. Imagine the rat and cockroach population in this lot.

34958_basura.JPG

rubbish2.jpg

Edited by MrWorldwide

Nan is by far the cleanest city I've seen in Thailand. I rented a bicycle and rode all over the town and I literally did not see ANY trash, not so much as a plastic bag from 7-11 on the ground. There are no trash piles anywhere and there are garbage cans everywhere, both plastic ones and these giant metal bowls. I saw garbage trucks driving around collecting the garbage cans like in a normal city back home, quickly going from garbage can to garbage can, not sorting through giant piles of trash in the street. There were also people out sweeping the streets at 5am. Place seemed a bit boring, but it was very clean.

Agreed, Nan is the cleanest place I've been to and I've been going there for years.

Pattaya, dirty, filthy place, full of dirty filthy foreigners.