Police too busy to extradite Mick "the Pom" Taylor accused of killing girlfriend in Thailand

Lite Beer

No-one considered that putting him on trial might actually put the spotlight on who it was that took the land deed in return for letting him go?

The cops in Phuket are very edgy right now, one of the Dive Shops reported that they were contacted by their local police station and offered the return of their bribes if they promised not to go to the Feds.

Uhuh, and would you go to that meeting to pick up yer cash ;-?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

Obviously the point went sailing over your head. :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No-one considered that putting him on trial might actually put the spotlight on who it was that took the land deed in return for letting him go?

The cops in Phuket are very edgy right now, one of the Dive Shops reported that they were contacted by their local police station and offered the return of their bribes if they promised not to go to the Feds.

"The cops in Phuket are very edgy right now, one of the Dive Shops reported that they were contacted by their local police station and offered the return of their bribes if they promised not to go to the Feds."

If true that was pretty big and impressive of the cops.

Did they really offer that?

On who's request was he arrested?

Surely you can't ask a foreign country to arrest someone on your behalf and then not submit the extradition.

Certainly you can be arrested in one country for a warrant in another. Extradition process can go on years but I believe the Thai / Philippine treaty allows a wanted person to be held for 20 days and then released unless a request for extradition is requested and basic paper work is sent that includes info about the crime.

Something sounds off about this story including the fact that Prosecutors cannot seek extradition and are banned legally from requesting police assistance in extradition when somebody had fled they are currently prosecuting.

Well, of course they will be ending up releasing him. How very convenient.....

I highly doubt it - I think the above story is not fully explaining things as it appears the Thais already have made the case to the Philippines they plan to extradite otherwise they wouldn't still be holding him. Can only guess but sounds like they may just be waiting to actually file all the legal paperwork requesting he be returned which will likely begin the process of court hearings, arguments and appeals assuming this guy will fight extradition. For all we know he is going to voluntarily return and that is now being worked out behind the scenes. Just because we don't understand the process, we shouldn't jump to illogical conclusions. Thailand is very experience in the extradition process and if I am not mistaken this is the same jurisdiction that the got the Britain back who killed a US Marine .... a much harder feat than getting somebody back from the Philippines, I would imagine.

Well if the quote before has any relevance, they have 20 days and rightly so.

He's obviously paid someone handsomely somewhere and people are busy sitting on their hands

Police too busy to extradite Hull man Mick the Pom Taylor accused of killing girlfriend in Thailand

By Hull Daily Mail

By James Campbell

PHUKET: -- A HULL man accused of murdering his girlfriend in Thailand has still not been extradited to stand trial because police have been "too busy".

Offshore worker Michael "Mick the Pom" Taylor, 50, was arrested in 2005 after he was accused of plunging a knife into his girlfriend Jantra Weangta's heart in Phuket.

He went on the run midway through his trial in 2006 and was spotted in the Philippines in November.

He was arrested in the Philippines a month ago after his visa ran out.

But Phuket's Chief Public Prosecutor Chiengsean Panhya has said he cannot pursue the extradition without a formal request from the police.

He told the Phuket Gazette: "I don't have the authority to pursue it unless the police ask me to. Our office is not even permitted to ask the police to file such a request.

"However, once they do, the next step would be for us to forward the case to the Office of the Attorney General in Bangkok and it would then be in their hands to get Mr Taylor back to Thailand to face justice."

Miss Weangta's body was discovered in the rented bungalow the couple shared in idyllic Chalong Beach, Phuket.

Mr Taylor denied the charge, claiming he had been having sex on a beach with a ladyboy at the time Miss Weangta, 27, was killed.

At the time of the murder in 2005, Thai police recovered a large Bowie knife and a pair of bloodstained trousers, while prosecutors had lined up 13 witnesses, including a DNA expert, to testify against Mr Taylor.

Despite the seriousness of the accusation, Mr Taylor had been granted bail after a land title deed, valued at 400,000 baht (£8,000), was posted as a surety.

He fled in 2006, midway through the trial, which had been heavily delayed.

Information regarding Mr Taylor's whereabouts in November was brought to the attention of Thai authorities after the owners of a bar in Pundakit, about 100 miles west of Manila, claimed they heard him bragging about the killing.

The Foreign Office confirmed the arrest of a British national in the Philippines on March 6 and has been providing consular assistance.

The case has provoked uproar in Thailand, with questions being asked of both the British and Thai authorities after Mr Taylor was permitted to slip through the nets.

The officer in charge of the case, Lieutenant Colonel Danprai Kaewwehol, of the Phuket Provincial Police, insists he wants Mr Taylor to be extradited back to Thailand and plans to hold talks to prosecutors.

Col Danprai has told journalists he had been "too busy" to follow up on Mr Taylor's case.

Source: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Police-8216-busy-8217-extradite-Hull-man-Mick/story-20940847-detail/story.html

--Hull Daily Mail 2014-04-12

Been having sex with a lady boy on the beach

Just gives us Brits an even worse name

First charged

With killing his misses and his alibi is just as bad as his charge

Police too busy to extradite Hull man Mick the Pom Taylor accused of killing girlfriend in Thailand

By Hull Daily Mail

By James Campbell

PHUKET: -- A HULL man accused of murdering his girlfriend in Thailand has still not been extradited to stand trial because police have been "too busy".

Offshore worker Michael "Mick the Pom" Taylor, 50, was arrested in 2005 after he was accused of plunging a knife into his girlfriend Jantra Weangta's heart in Phuket.

He went on the run midway through his trial in 2006 and was spotted in the Philippines in November.

But Phuket's Chief Public Prosecutor Chiengsean Panhya has said he cannot pursue the extradition without a formal request from the police.

He told the Phuket Gazette: "I don't have the authority to pursue it unless the police ask me to. Our office is not even permitted to ask the police to file such a request.

"However, once they do, the next step would be for us to forward the case to the Office of the Attorney General in Bangkok and it would then be in their hands to get Mr Taylor back to Thailand to face justice."

Miss Weangta's body was discovered in the rented bungalow the couple shared in idyllic Chalong Beach, Phuket.

Mr Taylor denied the charge, claiming he had been having sex on a beach with a ladyboy at the time Miss Weangta, 27, was killed.

At the time of the murder in 2005, Thai police recovered a large Bowie knife and a pair of bloodstained trousers, while prosecutors had lined up 13 witnesses, including a DNA expert, to testify against Mr Taylor.

Despite the seriousness of the accusation, Mr Taylor had been granted bail after a land title deed, valued at 400,000 baht (£8,000), was posted as a surety.

Information regarding Mr Taylor's whereabouts in November was brought to the attention of Thai authorities after the owners of a bar in Pundakit, about 100 miles west of Manila, claimed they heard him bragging about the killing.

The Foreign Office confirmed the arrest of a British national in the Philippines on March 6 and has been providing consular assistance.

The case has provoked uproar in Thailand, with questions being asked of both the British and Thai authorities after Mr Taylor was permitted to slip through the nets.

The officer in charge of the case, Lieutenant Colonel Danprai Kaewwehol, of the Phuket Provincial Police, insists he wants Mr Taylor to be extradited back to Thailand and plans to hold talks to prosecutors.

Col Danprai has told journalists he had been "too busy" to follow up on Mr Taylor's case.

Source: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Police-8216-busy-8217-extradite-Hull-man-Mick/story-20940847-detail/story.html

First charged

It's not a great alibi, in that it is somewhat flimsy and last boys aren't everyones favoured partner, but it's hardly as bad as murdering your wife/girlfriend.

By Hull Daily Mail

By James Campbell

First charged

It's not a great alibi, in that it is somewhat flimsy and last boys aren't everyones favoured partner, but it's hardly as bad as murdering your wife/girlfriend.

I know but he adds salt to his wounds

Hardly a nice character

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I don't have the inside track concerning that deed. You do.

My point was more focussed on how the Dive Shop bribe returns would be executed.

I. never pretend to have inside information that people living in the, um, like, heart of Phuket do.

Sorry I missed that, there point of yours.

The one that has you, like, squatted down so close to the pulse of Patong or whatever.

Yeah, missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The line that gave me brain freeze was "He told the Phuket Gazette: "I don't have the authority to pursue it unless the police ask me to. Our office is not even permitted to ask the police to file such a request."

What greedy puke gave the police the power to control the prosecutor's office? And is this power extended to all warrants?...if so, there is the achilles heel that could hamstring corrupt police power in the land of Smiles.

Amazing Thailand.

Well if the quote before has any relevance, they have 20 days and rightly so.

He's obviously paid someone handsomely somewhere and people are busy sitting on their hands

It may take more than three weeks for the Thai and PI 'police' to agree to how much $$$ the extradition is worth (to the concerned 'officials'). These things take time...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/DOG-DAYS-Phuket-murder-fugitive-Mick-the-Pom-living-openly-in-sunny-Philippines/22481#ad-image-0

Old Mick has shot his wad and has no more bargaining power left. As recently as four months ago several of my colleagues mentioned they had received CV's from someone they reckoned was Taylor (who was applying for any position on a ROV crew). 'Sorry, we're fully staffed--contact us next month' laugh.png

Oh, and calomotty--"Another <snip> offshore worker who found the love of his life in Thailand"-- did some <snip> offshore trash steal your gal ?

Edited by cloghead

The are busy persecuting journalists for the Royal Thai Navy, that girl was from Issan anyway. You do realise that there is one law for the rich and one for the poor??!!!

This is not question at all.

This won't be changed at all.

If some-one is dark skinned and poor can forget the rights.

• 1 year later...

Was he ever extradited to Thailand? Did the Philippines police just release him?

Someone has started a "Jantra Weangta" Facebook page and says he is living in Sihanoukvillle, Cambodia now.

Then someone purporting to be Mick had posted in a comment that he is living in Thailand.

It's all rather confusing.

I don't see how the British authorities could stop him leaving Thailand.

They in theory at least , could revoke or invalidate his passport...... Since they issued it

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can imagine they're too busy as everyone will want to be on roadblock duty over the holiday period.

it's all a matter of priorities.

It's pointless to ask why the Interior Minister isn't all over this and questioning the Pol Col involved's competence and suitability.

The holiday period must be along one , Mick has been MIA since 09 , then again the DSI have been seriously busy chasing shadows in the Democrat party.

Sorry, but the DSI has no authority in the case in respect to the local police pace.

You are confused about one aspect: Phuket is in the Democrat Party heartland. If the locals don't like a copper, he gets the heave ho. Phuket is the apex of corruption in Thailand, and surprise, surprise, surprise, its Democrats in charge in Phuket.

"... it's Democrats in charge in Phuket."

I'd be surprised if many (or any) Tuk Tuk drivers or Jet Ski operators were members of the Democrat Party. Judging by the antics these characters get up to and get away with they are definitely the ones in charge in Phuket

• 4 weeks later...

I gotta admit, the alibi 'having sex on the beach with a ladyboy' has got to be one of the best defense lines ever. Johnny Cochrane couldn't have come up with better

Bet this boy makes his mother proud!

Edited by GinBoy2

So where is he going to go?

If you think the Philippine police are not going to extort him to pennilessness or die trying, you are in lala land.

Mick is well up the Creek, no matter which way you slice it. justice is being served one way or the other. Rest easy.

The fail. The newspaper that thinks airliner doors can blow off. Hahaha. Even if true, this clown is not in a happy place. I can't imagine how much he must have paid the Philippines if this is true.

How you get from one country to another wirh a big overstayed stamp in your passport and as a known murder fugitive, when even a dodgy visa border runner has no chance, is beyond me. Unless he swam ashore, in which case. He can be nicked anyway. Like I said daily mail. Hahaha.

I decided to risk brain damage and read the fails article. He's living the high life. Yep, must be loaded after 11 years on rhe run. And... Speculation is rife among the expat community.

Speculation? You can stop reading there.

I can get more reality from Superman comics.

Edited by dhream

I decided to risk brain damage and read the fails article. He's living the high life. Yep, must be loaded after 11 years on rhe run. And... Speculation is rife among the expat community.

Speculation? You can stop reading there.

I can get more reality from Superman comics.

Not sure we read the same article, it seems he was running a business (bar/resort etc) there before he got busted.....

He might have more cash than everyone thinks if he's managed to buy his way through the Thai police and murder case, the Philippines police and his overstayed situation and now apparently the Cambodian police aren't bothered either....

He must be doing something right if he's evaded justice for 11+ years and still posting on Facebook about partying on beaches after all that...

They in theory at least , could revoke or invalidate his passport...... Since they issued it

His passport has long since expired. The reality is you only get 9.5 years in it from day one, since only your home country will admit with less than six months validity. He's been a fugitive for longer.

Every page of my passport is scrutinised at every asian checkpoint. I just don't accept this story as being remotely possible unless he arrived in a private sailing vessel and by passed border controls entirely. Or paid a fortune for a quality doctored passport. Also, knowing the corruption in these countries, he'd be paying vast amounts just to stay free. He certainly would have to be quite insane to go online to boast about his current life, given how hard, and expensive the undercover life is. But, as this site proves with every other post. Human stupidity is depthless.

His passport has long since expired. The reality is you only get 9.5 years in it from day one, since only your home country will admit with less than six months validity. He's been a fugitive for longer.

Every page of my passport is scrutinised at every asian checkpoint. I just don't accept this story as being remotely possible unless he arrived in a private sailing vessel and by passed border controls entirely. Or paid a fortune for a quality doctored passport. Also, knowing the corruption in these countries, he'd be paying vast amounts just to stay free. He certainly would have to be quite insane to go online to boast about his current life, given how hard, and expensive the undercover life is. But, as this site proves with every other post. Human stupidity is depthless.