What do Thais think about when they wai, pray, kneel, or worship.

infinity11

no problems with it, my wife believes in it and I will go along with her as it is not an imposition plus it is part of the culture we that we have come to live in. There are a lot of thais that do it because they believe in buddha and his teachings, nothing wrong with that and I wai too because I think it is the right thing to do.

My feelings too

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the thais but on the few occasions i have been to the temple i remember thinking 'jeez that old cruciate ligament damage in my knee is hurting like hell' also it went on a lot longer than the one hour i was told beforehand.

Yep, so I don't go anymore. Pointless just being part of the furniture............smile.png

• Like 1

Nothing. That is the key to meditation. No, I'm not kidding. wai2.gif

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/06/18/why-doing-nothing-is-the-key-to-happiness/

Nothing to do with meditation.

The Thai Forest Tradition is a tradition of Buddhist monasticism within Thai Theravada Buddhism. Practitioners inhabit remote wilderness and forest dwellings as spiritual practice training grounds. Maha Nikaya and Dhammayuttika Nikaya are the two major monastic orders in Thailand that have forest traditions. The Thai Forest Tradition originated in Thailand, primarily among the Lao-speaking community in Isan.

So, as I said, this topic is nothing to do with meditation.

Nothing. That is the key to meditation. No, I'm not kidding. wai2.gif

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/06/18/why-doing-nothing-is-the-key-to-happiness/

Nothing to do with meditation.

The Thai Forest Tradition is a tradition of Buddhist monasticism within Thai Theravada Buddhism. Practitioners inhabit remote wilderness and forest dwellings as spiritual practice training grounds. Maha Nikaya and Dhammayuttika Nikaya are the two major monastic orders in Thailand that have forest traditions. The Thai Forest Tradition originated in Thailand, primarily among the Lao-speaking community in Isan.

So, as I said, this topic is nothing to do with meditation.

Says who? You? You some kind of topic translator? The topic is

What do Thais think about when they wai, pray, kneel, or worship.

When the Monks worship they meditate.

Meditate is supposed to be not thinking...so cannot be worshiping cos thats thinking, about worshiping....usually involving worshiping some imaginative thing to give them luck...to win the lottery...to get more money to go gambling with....so they can worship for more.

• Like 1

Meditate is supposed to be not thinking...so cannot be worshiping cos thats thinking, about worshiping....usually involving worshiping some imaginative thing to give them luck...to win the lottery...to get more money to go gambling with....so they can worship for more.

Worship can be meditation or not depending on the religion.

noun: worship 1.
the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
When the children of Israel first entered the Promised Land, God instructed them, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night,
Do you really want me to quote the other many many times that meditation is mentioned in your bible?
Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

You must have found somebody elses bible...not mine.

But I am leaving Thailand...to go meditate somewhere else.

• Psalm 48:9 - "Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love."
  • Psalm 77:12 - "I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds."
  • Psalm 119:15 - "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways."
  • Psalm 119:97 - "Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long."
  • Psalm 143:5 - "I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done."

• Psalm 77:12 - "I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds."
  • Psalm 143:5 - "I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done."

I like to replace meditate with 'pee'.

• Like 1

I have never mocked another man's religion. So I will not reply to you. I think anyone who would say what you have said is trash.

• Like 1

I once got talking to a Thai girl who had been kneeling and praying at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok. Was curious as to what her wish was and it turned out she had been praying to win the lottery. So there you go.

• Like 1

I once got talking to a Thai girl who had been kneeling and praying at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok. Was curious as to what her wish was and it turned out she had been praying to win the lottery. So there you go.

''winning a lottery'' is code for catching a farang.

The erawan schrine is known for a temple of ''love''

Edited by Datebayo
  • Like 1

when Thai wai, pray, kneel, or worship, they only think money

Of the hundreds of meditation temples in Thailand, a few cater specifically for foreigners by holding meditation sessions and retreats in English. Novices as well as practised meditators are generally welcome at these wats, but absolute beginners might like to consider the regular retreats at Wat Suan Mokkh and Wat Khao Tham, which are conducted by supportive and experienced Thai and Western teachers and include talks and interviews on Buddhist teachings and practice. The meditation taught is mostly Vipassana, or “insight”, which emphasizes the minute observation of internal sensations; the other main technique you’ll come across is Samatha, which aims to calm the mind and develop concentration (these two techniques are not entirely separate, since you cannot have insight without some degree of concentration)

• Like 1

Very well said, Showbags..

The Bible will be remembered long after your demise...I can help you with that...!

thais refer to it as thangsamatee which basically means "to concentrate" and which is basically "contemplating" (about events, about the day, about the future, about family, about money, etc). genuine meditation amongst lay people is rare. the common alternative for thai men is a bottle of hongthong and naam soda.

thais refer to it as thangsamatee which basically means "to concentrate" and which is basically "contemplating" (about events, about the day, about the future, about family, about money, etc). genuine meditation amongst lay people is rare. the common alternative for thai men is a bottle of hongthong and naam soda.

The Thai people are very diverse. Your generalization only shows the people who wish to associate with you and are not typical of most Thai people.