Good service and fair price at Bangkok hospital (credit were credit is due)

banglay

Bangkok Hospital quoted me 350,000 for laproscopic surgery for a double iquenal hernia. That is the same as the operation costs in the Houston Medical Center. In Canada it is free but they won't cover me here because it is done in Canada and it is not an emergency yet. But I work here for Thai wages and I enjoy my job a great deal so I would like to stay. Has anyone had a comparable operation done in Thailand for less money?

I realise that this is an old post but 3 weeks ago I went to Bangkok Hospital because I needed hernia surgery.

I was quoted 350,000 for 5 days in hospital.

I then asked at Rama 9 hospital. They quoted 90,000.

I had the operation there. I had a little complication as an x-ray showed something on my lung. A CT scan soon showed it ws nothing.

Total cost 120,000.

I told Bangkok Hospital I wasn't interested and that I would go somewhere else. That was 2 weeks ago.

Just 5 minutes ago they called me to apologise. The price they quoted was for foreigners not residing in Thailand. They had a much lower price for me but needed to see my work permit.

Reasonably priced? BGH is just a money machine.

I did have surgery there about 5 years ago and I remember that I was admitted 8 am and spent the whole day going to different departments (4 or 5) , having my blood pressure taken, temperature taken, being weighed and asked if I was allergic to anything. I am not joking. About 5 times went through the exact same procedure before my operation at 6 pm.

It was 5/6 years ago I admit but my hernia surgery at Pattaya Memorial came to about 38000 Baht. I guess that's inflation for you!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I would recommend Chaopya Hospital in Pinklao they have a lot of doctors that also work at samitivej, piyavet and bumrungrad but their prices are much lower and I have been there several times one time I got the doctor to tell me what medicinal I had to take. declined to buy them from the hospital and bought them from a local pharmacy even if their markup is not as high as at some other hospitals.