Phuket airport meter taxi mafia on video.....

FireMedic

Is this turning out to be a Phuket bashing thread all of a sudden, if you people hate Phuket so much don't come here!! Keep your opinions to yourself and complain about where you live on the appropriate forum!!

Phuket is Phuket if you don't like it of somewhere else, it's never going to change so get used to it or leave, stop complaining and moaning!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"it's never going to change so get used to" - have a good look around you. Do you seriously think Phuket is not changing????

Phuket IS changing, and for the worse.

Of course Phuket is changing just like every other place on this planet, is it changing for the worst well that's a matter of opinion Isn't it, if people are unhappy with the way Phuket is changing and are unhappy with living here there are planes ready to transport you back to where you came from, be my guest!!

If you don't like the taxi fares don't pay them, it's possible to avoid any of these so called rip offs if you have a mind too, I really get fed up with the whining and moaning about how bad this place is yet most of us left our home countries to live here, if someone wants to make a difference maybe they should start by not going into a ridiculous rant shouting "I'm going to make you a YouTube star" I think the op was very very lucky one of the taxi guys didn't smack him in the face and maybe worse, he came across as rude, offensive, drunk and down right abusive, I have seen someone gat a smack in the face by a Thai in front of a crowd and that crowd applauded the Thai!!

"it's never going to change so get used to it" and "of course Phuket is changing" - which one is it????

Is Phuket changing, or not???? :)

Do you not understand the difference between something that is not going to change as in taxi fares etc and maybe the infrastructure is changing? so in answer to your question no the taxi fares will not change but other things will change, does that make sense?

Do you live in Phuket? if you do are you happy here?

Edited by Alwayssunny

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of rubbish, filming people and telling them you are going to put it on U tube

No wonder the OP was left standing there and had to get a free ride home from the police

Lucky he did not have to walk home

Last time we came thru the airport it was 8pm in the evening and they were asking 1000 baht to Rawai

Came down to 800 baht straight away which we were happy with, $27 AUD for a 1 hour ride, Cheap, cheap

What about the farangs here running businesses who"s only customers/clients are tourists or expats and will

overcharge you for work or services every time they can, why not start a whinging topic about them, there are

plenty around, Thais are a lot more honest than these type of people, some people just like to whinge on forums

Why not whinge and complain to Thai people as see how you go, not game are you

• Like 1

Well done OP.

Bad publicity is something that is understood here.

"Bad publicity is something that is understood here." - loss of money is understood more than bad publicity here. biggrin.png

Well the taxi drivers are making somewhat more aren't they.

And the arranger and police etc all get a cut.

Yes there is the big picture but do you expect them to see beyond their own sticky palms?

No one on this forum expects change to come next week. It's about keeping the pressure on the mafia.

I have no doubt they are bleeding baht, and it will take a long while for them to bleed out.

The major tourist numbers to Phuket now have coach buses - that was a real loss of income for them. Many repeat western tourists are detouring Phuket for other destinations now, and if we can inform the first timers about this situation, they would have lost a lot of their customer base.

It only takes a few desperate tuk-tuk drivers to accept 100 baht, instead of the monopoly price of 400 baht, and the whole thing could collapse rather quickly.

There's no point being in a monopoly, if there's no food on the table.

The more and more people that don't use them, but offer a fair market price, but then walk away from the rip off price, the more chance there is of bringing down this transport monoploy.

When I walk past them and they say "tuk-tuk tuk-tuk." I stop, and say "How much to XXX?" They usually say, "200 baht." I say, "Too expensive" and walk off. I never wanted a tuk-tuk anyway, as my bike is parked nearby, but one day in the future, one of them is going to say, "Ok, how much you want to pay?" At that point, that will be the start of change here, and then market forces will slowly be applied to the industry, unless, they decide to drive around like baht buses and make some serious money.

It will take time, but until then, I smile everytime I see them all lined up saying "tuk-tuk tuk-tuk" as literally hundreds of tourist walk right past them. :)

• Like 1

I love the mafia sympathizers. Especially the new ones with a few posts. They love to shotgun a bunch of things out there hoping one will stick. I was angry and I was upset. Your second reference that I should have been beat up or smacked by the taxi guys only solidify what we all have said for years about them. I did repeat Youtube several times. IF you know anything about Thai people, you will know that most all of them know exactly what YouTube is and they would be mortified if they knew they were going on Youtube. If you don't believe me, walk down Bangla Rd telling everyone you filming for Youtube and watch the girls run. I wanted to make it more than clear that it was going on the internet for everyone to see. We all know you are a mafia sympathizer. Most likely because your high class, big money, half chinese, girlfriend who never worked a bar a day in her life, is related to one of these animals are you benefit from it. So there are a few forums for mafia sympathizers like you. If you don't like what we are discussing here because you are so overly sensitive and easily offended, maybe you should try sticking with the religion or peace/harmony forums.

• Like 1

I love the mafia sympathizers. Especially the new ones with a few posts. They love to shotgun a bunch of things out there hoping one will stick. I was angry and I was upset. Your second reference that I should have been beat up or smacked by the taxi guys only solidify what we all have said for years about them. I did repeat Youtube several times. IF you know anything about Thai people, you will know that most all of them know exactly what YouTube is and they would be mortified if they knew they were going on Youtube. If you don't believe me, walk down Bangla Rd telling everyone you filming for Youtube and watch the girls run. I wanted to make it more than clear that it was going on the internet for everyone to see. We all know you are a mafia sympathizer. Most likely because your high class, big money, half chinese, girlfriend who never worked a bar a day in her life, is related to one of these animals are you benefit from it. So there are a few forums for mafia sympathizers like you. If you don't like what we are discussing here because you are so overly sensitive and easily offended, maybe you should try sticking with the religion or peace/harmony forums.

LMAO good luck in your campaign to change Phuket!! the problem here is that I hate loud mouths who seem to have no idea what they are doing, you would have got a smack in the face from many people had you been that rude and confrontational towards them, it's got nothing to do with the taxi drivers in that situation!

Anyway good luck in your efforts to bring about change!

Edited by Alwayssunny
  • Like 2

My Thai-Isaan friends continually use a phrase for Phuket Thais: "jai dahm," or "black hearts." Kinda puts it all into a nutshell, doesn't it?

You would be hard-pushed to find a Phuket Thai in Phuket. Most people who live/work there are from other areas of Thailand - they have been drawn by the money factor.

And regardless of where you come from in Thailand, those who are greedy for easy money often are jai dahm.

There is a difference between working honestly in Phuket for the good money and being greedy and lazy and expecting an easy income.

"There is a difference between working honestly in Phuket for the good money and being greedy and lazy and expecting an easy income." - doesn't that decribe all who work in the land transport industry on Phuket????

What a load of rubbish, filming people and telling them you are going to put it on U tube

No wonder the OP was left standing there and had to get a free ride home from the police

Last time we came thru the airport it was 8pm in the evening and they were asking 1000 baht to Rawai

Came down to 800 baht straight away which we were happy with, $27 AUD for a 1 hour ride, Cheap, cheap

What about the farangs here running businesses who"s only customers/clients are tourists or expats and will

overcharge you for work or services every time they can, why not start a whinging topic about them, there are

plenty around, Thais are a lot more honest than these type of people, some people just like to whinge on forums

"Why not whinge and complain to Thai people as see how you go, not game are you" - ahhhh, did you see the You Tube videos????

The OP complained to the THAI lady on the taxi desk, THAI taxi drivers and a THAI police officer.

Who are you refering to with that rant,people who do not think taxi farest the airport are expensive

What Mafia they whack you if you give them a hard time

• Like 1

"Why not whinge and complain to Thai people as see how you go, not game are you" - ahhhh, did you see the You Tube videos????

The OP complained to the THAI lady on the taxi desk, THAI taxi drivers and a THAI police officer.

Try complaining at the Thai run and owned apartments you live in about Phuket and some Thai people

like you do on this forum and see how you go cheesy.gif

By law, they MUST use the meter.

by law prostitution is illegal here however many a farang comes for paid sex.

by law driving motorbike w/out licence is illegal. many farang drive bikes w/out dr licence.

by law ... another 10.000 examples where most farang don't mind the law not being enforced when it's in their advantage.

Transport is an essential service, similar to water and electricity.

another genius... comparing private TAXI service with water and electricity ...

these videos are pathetic in many ways... overcharging is not fair/nice but that's life. the taxi guy thinks it's not fair farang makes more money than him. simplistic thinking, sure, but typical HUMAN thinking.... u don't like their methods then get yourself an alternative. outsmart them and save yourself a lot of stress and prove them wrong.

• Like 1

How to be a farang Thai mafia/criminal sympathizer 101: Be sure to troll forums with legitimate complaints. Use phrasing like "If you you don't like it, go home", "they are just trying to earn a living", "you are lucky they didn't beat you to death", and of course "farangs are bad too". With these 4 sure fire statements, you will immediately show everyone that you are a senior, 30 year veteran of Phuket, speak, read and write Thai better than Thai people, and you have a hi/so girlfriend who has never worked a bar. By talking this way, people will give you the same respect as they do local politicians who are never questioned about what they say. Remember to play the Distract and Deflect game when people bring valid complaints. Always take away from what the main complaint is about by drawing attention to another unresolved problem on the island, like trash dumping, drug trafficking, people trafficking, wildlife abuse, eco-atrocities, and other assorted distractions. By doing this, everyone will jump on board with your side and they will abandon the "whingeing" and complaining farang.

• Like 1

brave but useless...

ps. u "live" here but u still don't get the concept of "smile" here...

You may "smile" while you're being shafted, but many others don't. smile.png

no i mean that the thai guy smiling - when the emotional US bloke started to complain about being rippedoff - was not thinking it was funny - cf. the emotional US bloke asking "you think this is funny?". that's what i mean, ok na khrap.........................................

How to be a farang Thai mafia/criminal sympathizer 101: Be sure to troll forums with legitimate complaints. Use phrasing like "If you you don't like it, go home", "they are just trying to earn a living", "you are lucky they didn't beat you to death", and of course "farangs are bad too". With these 4 sure fire statements, you will immediately show everyone that you are a senior, 30 year veteran of Phuket, speak, read and write Thai better than Thai people, and you have a hi/so girlfriend who has never worked a bar. By talking this way, people will give you the same respect as they do local politicians who are never questioned about what they say. Remember to play the Distract and Deflect game when people bring valid complaints. Always take away from what the main complaint is about by drawing attention to another unresolved problem on the island, like trash dumping, drug trafficking, people trafficking, wildlife abuse, eco-atrocities, and other assorted distractions. By doing this, everyone will jump on board with your side and they will abandon the "whingeing" and complaining farang.

You realise you are really just ridiculing yourself with this kind of rants against other posters here recently? Why these accusations when they are just disagreeing with you.

Cheers mate I appreciate your reference 101, wow so many assumptions in one post, I wonder if you will continue your quest with more videos and accusations? keep us posted and the very best of luck!!

• Like 1

Try complaining at the Thai run and owned apartments you live in about Phuket and some Thai people

like you do on this forum and see how you go cheesy.gif

My apartment block is fine, it's full of expats, but I often ask Thai people how their business is going. In recent times, many have replied, "Very quiet." I tell them, "Phuket a lot more expensive than Pattaya now, and tuk-tuk too expensive here."

It's not a complaint, it's a statement. They are not angry with me, or take any offence. It's usually met with a nod of the head. I'm just stating, as a westerner, what I suspect they already know.

Just a few weeks ago I was asked by a Thai owner of a small eatery, "When your friends come back Phuket?" I said, "They stop Phuket, go Pattaya now."

I'm sure many Thai's understand what's going on. They can see it in the groups of Russians walking by with bottles of beer from 7/11 and the groups of Indians and Chinese. None of which frequent their establishments.

At the end of the day, what's happening here is bad for business. Sure, the tourist numbers may be up, on the back of cheap package holidays from emerging economies, but the money (baht) is way down from past years.

Unfortunately, Phuket is not being allowed to reach it's full potential as a truly "World Class Tourist Destination" due to the greed and corruption of a minority in power here, and for that reason, the economy here will suffer.

• Like 1

i sympathize with your intentions but if you wanna make a difference go to USA with your camera and film the BLATANT injustice there.....

i've not been here 30 years, i don't read thai, i have no gf let alone hi-so one but i do know how to deal with minor sh**t here, minor sh**t such as overcharging.....

• Like 1

If the op really wants to make a point and make a difference he should go back to the airport and confront the meter taxi people, he should talk clearly stating his grievance, he should film this showing his face clearly so all can see who it is making this complaint!! good luck!

By law, they MUST use the meter.

by law prostitution is illegal here however many a farang comes for paid sex.

by law driving motorbike w/out licence is illegal. many farang drive bikes w/out dr licence.

by law ... another 10.000 examples where most farang don't mind the law not being enforced when it's in their advantage.

Transport is an essential service, similar to water and electricity.

another genius... comparing private TAXI service with water and electricity ...

these videos are pathetic in many ways... overcharging is not fair/nice but that's life. the taxi guy thinks it's not fair farang makes more money than him. simplistic thinking, sure, but typical HUMAN thinking.... u don't like their methods then get yourself an alternative. outsmart them and save yourself a lot of stress and prove them wrong.

"comparing private TAXI service with water and electricity" - and their in lays the problem. Water and electricity are Governmnet regulated, otherwise, we would all be paying 100 baht a liter for the water coming out of our taps.

Public transport is Governmnet regulated in Thailand, but not Phuket. Eg. taxis have meters, and by law, must use them.

However, we have "public taxis" with meters, operating as a "private taxi service" which is against the law.

Imagine if every taxi in Bangkok colluded and all agreed to not use the meter and all agreed the minimum price, just to get into the taxi was 1000 baht. That's what we have on Phuket.

What should be a public regualted service, is being exploited by individuals, who pay off law enforcement officers, to operate as a "private taxi service."

Get it now, Einstein???? :)

• Like 2

@ Alwayssunny

But the fares are changing - they are going up. smile.png

Yes, I live on Phuket, and I feel my freedom of movement around the island is somewhat restricted by the transport issue here, because, unlike many other expats, I will not drive/ride whilst intoxicated.

Do you live on Phuket?

How do you get home after a night out?

By the way, what's the water like in Bang Tao these days, or are you still in Hong Kong? biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Forward it to the governor. He will be interested in it, especially once it is up on youtube. whistling.gif

I'm fresh out of his email address. I have forwarded it to local media and we will see what happens.....likely nothing.

Criminal charges of trying to make Thailand look bad are just as likely.

• Like 1

If you don't like what we are discussing here because you are so overly sensitive and easily offended, maybe you should try sticking with the religion or peace/harmony forums.

Don't open a thread and expect 100% solidarity.

I think you are the overly sensitive one. Just sayin'.thumbsup.gif

In all seriousness, I would never expect it here. I've seen how these threads go all over the place. I am being sarcastic because I know nothing will change. I even said so on of the first pages. It's no different than watching the red and yellow supporters go at it. There is nothing we can do except sit back and watch.

Edited by FireMedic

Sheesh, all over the cost of a taxi from the airport which you think is expensive

Where in The USofA do you come from and are the taxi fares as cheap as here???

@ Alwayssunny

But the fares are changing - they are going up. smile.png

Yes, I live on Phuket, and I feel my freedom of movement around the island is somewhat restricted by the transport issue here, because, unlike many other expats, I will not drive/ride whilst intoxicated.

Do you live on Phuket?

How do you get home after a night out?

By the way, what's the water like in Bang Tao these days, or are you still in Hong Kong? biggrin.png

Yes I live on Phuket, I do not drink and drive plus I do not frequent girlie bars etc I lead a simple life which is good for me, I have my bikes so I do not need to come Into contact with taxi's.

Not only am I wealthy and have a hi end gf plus having lived here 30 yrs(where has 20 of them gone, I now live in Bang Tao and I'm in Hong Kong, and apparently I speak and read Thai, Do I? maybe I'm in a Bobby Ewing dream!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

If you don't like what we are discussing here because you are so overly sensitive and easily offended, maybe you should try sticking with the religion or peace/harmony forums.

Don't open a thread and expect 100% solidarity.

I think you are the overly sensitive one. Just sayin'.thumbsup.gif

In all seriousness, I would never expect it here. I've seen how these threads go all over the place. I am being sarcastic because I know nothing will change. I even said so on of the first pages. It's no different than watching the red and yellow supporters go at it. There is nothing we can do except sit back and watch.

Huge U turn just executed!!

I will never understand, why people wants to visit Phuket....

A boring, dirty and overpriced place. A lot of scam and rip off.

They will keep coming as long as Low Cost Airlines do LC package runs from places like Australia,Russia and China. Its a damned good thing that the big aircraft cannot land on Koh Samui. The taxis are bad enough now, but just imagine all the mafia grubs moving in from Phuket if these L/C package airlines were able to land here.facepalm.gifw00t.gif

I will never understand, why people wants to visit Phuket....

A boring, dirty and overpriced place. A lot of scam and rip off.

They will keep coming as long as Low Cost Airlines do LC package runs from places like Australia,Russia and China. Its a damned good thing that the big aircraft cannot land on Koh Samui. The taxis are bad enough now, but just imagine all the mafia grubs moving in from Phuket if these L/C package airlines were able to land here.facepalm.gifw00t.gif

No low cost charter flights from Australia a few budjet airlines, get your facts right

All the tour packages i have booked from Australia were with Thai Airways, which is a full service airline and 4 and 5 star accomadation

But very reasonably priced

Is this turning out to be a Phuket bashing thread all of a sudden, if you people hate Phuket so much don't come here!! Keep your opinions to yourself and complain about where you live on the appropriate forum!!

Phuket is Phuket if you don't like it of somewhere else, it's never going to change so get used to it or leave, stop complaining and moaning!!

"it's never going to change so get used to" - have a good look around you. Do you seriously think Phuket is not changing????

Of course Phuket is changing just like every other place on this planet, is it changing for the worst well that's a matter of opinion Isn't it, if people are unhappy with the way Phuket is changing and are unhappy with living here there are planes ready to transport you back to where you came from, be my guest!!

If you don't like the taxi fares don't pay them, it's possible to avoid any of these so called rip offs if you have a mind too, I really get fed up with the whining and moaning about how bad this place is yet most of us left our home countries to live here, if someone wants to make a difference maybe they should start by not going into a ridiculous rant shouting "I'm going to make you a YouTube star" I think the op was very very lucky one of the taxi guys didn't smack him in the face and maybe worse, he came across as rude, offensive, drunk and down right abusive, I have seen someone gat a smack in the face by a Thai in front of a crowd and that crowd applauded the Thai!!

Can I ask, how long have you lived in Phuket?.

Can I ask, how long have you lived in Phuket?.

Take a look at post 208 and work it out!