Phuket airport meter taxi mafia on video.....

FireMedic

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greed and corruption is so blatant and rampant, they don't even try to hide it anymore.

This is a VERY important point made by the OP. It is the quantum shift that I have also noticed in the last year or so.

When I first came to Phuket five years ago, at least there was some window dressing done to try to hide the corruption.

Now however, corrupt acts are done swiftly and with ABSOLUTE impunity.

That is what I found so disturbing about the hillside of old growth national park forest being clear felled at Nai thon beach.

In the past there have been many illegal developments on NP land. But in the past they tried to keep low key and under the radar.

But not at Nai Thon. The developers just showed up with a fleet of bulldozers and hundreds of burmese day labourers and......clear felled a mountain...in full view of everyone....EVERYONE.

The greed and profit at any cost mentality has now reached frightening new heights here in Phuket. In my mind it is tantamount to a bull stock market run. For example, back in the Dot Com boom, everyone was just piling in to buy tech stocks and the market spiked to unbelievable highs because of the blind greed. The same thing is happening right now on Phuket...but in property development. People are clearing whole mountainsides of national park...with bulldozers and hundreds of labourers...just to get a piece of the action. And...importantly...NO ONE is stopping them.

• Like 2

The greed and corruption is so blatant and rampant, they don't even try to hide it anymore.

This is a VERY important point made by the OP. It is the quantum shift that I have also noticed in the last year or so.

When I first came to Phuket five years ago, at least there was some window dressing done to try to hide the corruption.

That is what I found so disturbing about the hillside of old growth national park forest being clear felled at Nai thon beach.

In the past there have been many illegal developments on NP land. But in the past they tried to keep low key and under the radar.

But not at Nai Thon. The developers just showed up with a fleet of bulldozers and hundreds of burmese day labourers and......clear felled a mountain...in full view of everyone....EVERYONE.

The greed and profit at any cost mentality has now reached frightening new heights here in Phuket. In my mind it is tantamount to a bull stock market run. For example, back in the Dot Com boom, everyone was just piling in to buy tech stocks and the market spiked to unbelievable highs because of the blind greed. The same thing is happening right now on Phuket...but in property development. People are clearing whole mountainsides of national park...with bulldozers and hundreds of labourers...just to get a piece of the action. And...importantly...NO ONE is stopping them.

I have said it before. As Pattaya became a city by the sea, Phuket will become an island city. All the greenery is getting concreted over.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Just curious, anyone notice how people complain but no one ever calls the abuse number written on the side of cabs? It does work. It has been a news story too many times. but no one calls the number or takes the number of the cab.

Maybe in the future the only tourists Phuket will attract are package holiday makers, and their sole reason for booking a package holiday will be that road transport is supplied as part of the package. It really could get as ridiculous as that, especially since road transport prices, for the duration of your holiday, are becoming more expensive than a lot of decent accommodation here.

Phukets unique selling point (USP) was once its beautiful environment. That is now destroyed, and in the case of the beaches, a human biohazard.

Phukets remaining selling points are its weather and the availability of prostitutes.

Nowadays, Phuket is little more than a giant sun lounge and brothel. And the brothel industry is also under significant duress. All of the bar owners and Mamma Sans I personally know complain to me that they cannot get girls to come to Phuket anymore. Why, there is no public transport, it is too dangerous to ride a motorbike, and they don't want to service Indian and Morrocan customers. No prospect of a free house from those lads...

• Like 2

I have said it before. As Pattaya became a city by the sea, Phuket will become an island city. All the greenery is getting concreted over.

Iceman. I enjoy your posts and opinions. You try to call Phuket like it is. But I think you are wrong on this point.

I have many middle class Thai friends who have lived and worked in Phuket their whole lives. The general consensus among these folk is that Phuket is destined to become a clone of Singapore.

However, the cornerstones on which Singapore have been built are: regulation, the strict enforcement of the rule of law, planned development and efficient transport infrastructure.

In Phuket there are lots of police, but ZERO policing, rampant illegal development, no public transport, and horrendous roads.

Phuket will never EVOLVE into Singapore clone. It will DEVOLVE into something. Heaven help those who still live here when it reaches its nadir.

I found the OP's language and loud mouth a bit uncomfortable and very very confrontational. bah.gif He was lucky he did not get a "Thai welcome" at the counter. He held the camera phone the wrong way and the quality sucks.

However, I did tell him to contact a few people and I hope he gets some sort of media coveraI

I'm very sorry if I offended you. I'm really sorry that I was exhausted and pushed over the edge by this nonsense. I have no doubt this event will go nowhere and nothing will ever change here. I have no doubt that even if the video was perfect, government influenced media would not pursue it due to it's sensitive nature. I also have no doubt whatsoever the Governor wouldn't touch the issue with a 10ft pole due to the fact he has already stated the airport is not in his jurisdiction and there was nothing he could do. The greed and corruption is so blatant and rampant, they don't even try to hide it anymore. I know nothing will change in my lifetime.

The only thing I wanted to do was something...anything. Instead of being one of the expats that sit around all day and keyboard cowboy their toughness, I directly confronted the taxi mafia on video (as crappy as it is), exposed what they were doing, got angry tourists with valid complaints, and I got police unwilling to enforce the law on camera. Having read countless threads of people here unhappy with the system, at least I tried something.

I'm surprised you walked away without one of the taxi guys smacking you in the face!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

If you dont like something vote with your feet....you can even pre book a taxi for THB 750 to Patong, alternative get the bus to Phuket Town and then connect to Patong or wherever.

why not take the bus straight to patong 120baht..?

• Like 1

Given the situation, such as they all knew they were being filmed and there were a bunch of other angry tourists, I doubt very highly any of them would be physical with me. I would like they think they aren't that stupid. There is no way in a million years I would have done that to a bunch of back ally tuk tuks or taxi ranks.

Given the situation, such as they all knew they were being filmed and there were a bunch of other angry tourists, I doubt very highly any of them would be physical with me. I would like they think they aren't that stupid. There is no way in a million years I would have done that to a bunch of back ally tuk tuks or taxi ranks.

Why not use Phuket shuttle, it can be booked online and the prices are very reasonable, there is no reason to come into contact with groups you feel are dishonest!!

Why not use Phuket shuttle, it can be booked online and the prices are very reasonable, there is no reason to come into contact with groups you feel are dishonest!!

I was forced to use them at the time. However, I just looked at the Phuketshuttle.com and it seems like a decent setup. 850THB from the airport to Karon. I will absolutely use them next time I need a ride home from the airport. Thank you for the assistance, I have never seen that one before.

I was forced to use them at the time. However, I just looked at the Phuketshuttle.com and it seems like a decent setup. 850THB from the airport to Karon. I will absolutely use them next time I need a ride home from the airport. Thank you for the assistance, I have never seen that one before.

Best thing about it is it can be pre booked, no worries having to deal with people you would rather not deal with! if you use them let us know how you get on!!

Iceman. I enjoy your posts and opinions. You try to call Phuket like it is. But I think you are wrong on this point.

I have many middle class Thai friends who have lived and worked in Phuket their whole lives. The general consensus among these folk is that Phuket is destined to become a clone of Singapore.

However, the cornerstones on which Singapore have been built are: regulation, the strict enforcement of the rule of law, planned development and efficient transport infrastructure.

In Phuket there are lots of police, but ZERO policing, rampant illegal development, no public transport, and horrendous roads.

Phuket will never EVOLVE into Singapore clone. It will DEVOLVE into something. Heaven help those who still live here when it reaches its nadir.

I would suggest your middle class Thai friends have been misinformed, or are living in false hope.

I agree, Phuket, and Thailand in general, will never be even a shadow of Singapore. In fact, Thailand will fall behind other South East Asian nations.

Phuket is being raped and pillaged and will continue to be plundered until there is nothing left to sell here, and no one willing to buy here.

It's then, that your middle class Thai friends will have to explain to their children why they need to go to other destinations in Thailand to seek employment.

• Like 2

I would suggest your middle class Thai friends have been misinformed, or are living in false hope.

I agree, Phuket, and Thailand in general, will never be even a shadow of Singapore. In fact, Thailand will fall behind other South East Asian nations.

Phuket is being raped and pillaged and will continue to be plundered until there is nothing left to sell here, and no one willing to buy here.

It's then, that your middle class Thai friends will have to explain to their children why they need to go to other destinations in Thailand to seek employment.

Good rant NKM - unfortunately I must agree with you.

• Like 1

Good rant NKM - unfortunately I must agree with you.

More of a prediction, than a rant, and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, just because you agree with me. You'll get used to it. biggrin.png

• Like 2

I used the Taxi Service counter just inside the airport last night.

Prices are clearly displayed and you pre-pay.

Queue of 2 people in front of me.

Taken by a uniformed driver in a new and clean car (possibly a Camry)

Driver drove at a sensible pace.

650 baht to Phuket town.

It must be a 1 hour/80km round trip.

I don't think that is anything like excessively expensive.

I gave him a 100baht tip for driving sensibly.

10 years ago it was 450 to 500baht.

The OP's point is that meter taxis should use the meter and this is a valid point, however, the pre-pay taxi service is there and it is a viable alternative.

The airport bus to Phuket town is 50THB. You paid 750THB for the same trip. Perhaps you enjoy paying a 1500 (one thousand five hundred) percent markup for being a farang.

I don't.

Your nickname is noted.

There is no markup for being a ''farang'' at the Taxi Service counter. Thais would pay the same. You can't compare the airport bus with a taxi. One is door to door and the other isn't. Paying extra for a more convenient service is normal in life. The airport bus sets off god-knows-when and the nearest bus stop is 3km from my house which means I then have to fanny about getting a motorcycle taxi. Frankly, for 650baht plus discretionary tip, I just can't be bothered. 650baht is not really that much money and for a service that sets off immediately, drives safely and provides me with a door to door service in a comfortable car with aircon and leather seats.

• Like 2

1700 baht to Karon Beach is ridiculous. If one was to come to Phuket for a one week holiday, and stay in a cheap guest house at 500 baht per night, the total is 3500 baht for their accommodation, which includes room cleaned everyday, electric, movie channels, wifi etc,

laugh.png OMG you're funny! 500 for all that here on Phuket? You'd be lucky to get a very basic room with nothing but a fan for 700 in Chalong, so not sure about how much a beachside would be. And yes of course 1700 is stupid. I used to pay 500/600 back to Rawai a couple of years ago, but now, minimum 900. The problem is not solely with the drivers of course. They all 'compare notes' - 'Yeah well I charge 1000 from Rawai to the Airport', and therefore they feel entitled to do the same. Blame lies squarely with local maladministration, same as it ever was.

BTW, kudos for the vid, but the dumb loud yankee accent probably didn't help, together with the terrible Thai language (what little there was of it) pronunciation. You could have bargained them down, if they'd thought you'd been here awhile (by virtue of lack of aforesaid). 'More flies with honey than vinegar' and all that thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Just curious, anyone notice how people complain but no one ever calls the abuse number written on the side of cabs? It does work. It has been a news story too many times. but no one calls the number or takes the number of the cab.

True, but FYI the metered taxi's are not a part of the 1583 network. Calling it in this case would be pointless. The OP essentially called the police which is exactly what authorities have publicly asked people to do. The governor even gave out his "personal" (answered by an assistant I have no doubt) mobile number.

1700 baht to Karon Beach is ridiculous. If one was to come to Phuket for a one week holiday, and stay in a cheap guest house at 500 baht per night, the total is 3500 baht for their accommodation, which includes room cleaned everyday, electric, movie channels, wifi etc,

laugh.png OMG you're funny! 500 for all that here on Phuket? You'd be lucky to get a very basic room with nothing but a fan for 700 in Chalong, so not sure about how much a beachside would be. And yes of course 1700 is stupid. I used to pay 500/600 back to Rawai a couple of years ago, but now, minimum 900. The problem is not solely with the drivers of course. They all 'compare notes' - 'Yeah well I charge 1000 from Rawai to the Airport', and therefore they feel entitled to do the same. Blame lies squarely with local maladministration, same as it ever was.

BTW, kudos for the vid, but the dumb loud yankee accent probably didn't help, together with the terrible Thai language (what little there was of it) pronunciation. You could have bargained them down, if they'd thought you'd been here awhile (by virtue of lack of aforesaid). 'More flies with honey than vinegar' and all that thumbsup.gif

Many smaller guest houses on Soi Banzaan and Nanai Road area in Patong are 500 baht a night in the low season - includes air con, wifi, movie channels, 24 hour reception/security, fridge, room safe, guest friendly, some with balcony, some with bar/restaurant downstairs, room cleaned everyday and electricity included.

Tourists can walk to Jungceylon, Bangla Road and the Patong Beach from there.

The below links are a couple of randoms off google. One's in Italian, but as as you can see, May, June and July is 500 baht for the room only, or 630 baht for a room and motor scooter included. This was new to me, paying for the room and a scooter. I've never heard of that before. That idea might catch on.

http://www.guesthousebelvedere.com/

This one goes as low as 400 per night for June, July and August.

http://www.sabaideepatong.com/Rooms_Galery.html

I've never stayed at either of these places and I have no afiliation with them.

There are many other guest houses that are a flat 500 baht for the room per night as well.

I'm sure other members can confirm this information for you as well.

So, as you can see, your transport to and from the airport can be, in some cases, dearer than your accommodation for a week holiday on Phuket, in a small guest house, and a guest house has a lot more business related expenses than a motor vehicle.

Also, the tourist hasn't even used a tuk-tuk at this stage, and if they did, this would further increase the ridiculous divide between the cost of their accommodation and land transport on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

I think someone should start a Facebook page solely dedicated to victims of Phuket scams, unhappy tourists, and complaints. Anyone with video could give a brief, detailed description and send the video in for everyone to see. Or use a Twitter account to pass along detailed information. Just a thought......

I think someone should start a Facebook page solely dedicated to victims of Phuket scams, unhappy tourists, and complaints. Anyone with video could give a brief, detailed description and send the video in for everyone to see. Or use a Twitter account to pass along detailed information. Just a thought.....

If done, hopefully they could do it under an alias fireproof enough to avoid the draconian defamation laws/prosecutions that Thailand is known for.

Even if the information is true, one is still liable to be successfully sued if the "victim's" reputation is dishonored. I believe that's one of the reasons for ThaiVisa's ironclad "no naming & shaming" rule. I'm personally rather surprised this thread has stood the test of that rule. On the other hand, I don't think any specific names were given out--only voices and ghost images.

I think someone should start a Facebook page solely dedicated to victims of Phuket scams, unhappy tourists, and complaints. Anyone with video could give a brief, detailed description and send the video in for everyone to see. Or use a Twitter account to pass along detailed information. Just a thought.....

If done, hopefully they could do it under an alias fireproof enough to avoid the draconian defamation laws/prosecutions that Thailand is known for.

Even if the information is true, one is still liable to be successfully sued if the "victim's" reputation is dishonored. I believe that's one of the reasons for ThaiVisa's ironclad "no naming & shaming" rule. I'm personally rather surprised this thread has stood the test of that rule. On the other hand, I don't think any specific names were given out--only voices and ghost images.

The only thing we can hope for is that everyone views the videos and shares it to Facebook or other social media drawing more attention to it.

• Like 1

The only thing we can hope for is that everyone views the videos and shares it to Facebook or other social media drawing more attention to it.

Kudos to your efforts, and I think you've a bright future in investigative journalism. Your voice and manner sound just like those guys on BBC and CNN, when they try to expose the bastards.

• Like 2

Just for fun... Checked online to see how much a rental car costs... 149.22 for a brio for 1 week rental.. Pick up and drop off at Phuket airport

Looks like anyone going on vacation to Phuket would be much better off renting a car than taking a taxi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

149.22 ?? what currency please. UK, AUD, or US$

Just for fun... Checked online to see how much a rental car costs... 149.22 for a brio for 1 week rental.. Pick up and drop off at Phuket airport

Looks like anyone going on vacation to Phuket would be much better off renting a car than taking a taxi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

149.22 ?? what currency please. UK, AUD, or US$

I pray to god it's baht.

I will never understand, why people wants to visit Phuket....

A boring, dirty and overpriced place. A lot of scam and rip off.

Yea, some 10 million or so tourists per year, all obviously misunderstood........

Uninformed or stupid. Take your pick. Phuket is a <deleted> hole

Somtamnication, on 14 Apr 2014 - 15:40, said:

Forward it to the governor. He will be interested in it, especially once it is up on youtube. whistling.gif

Sorry, but when was the last time the governor actually did something, except photo ops.... you seem to forget, he signed off on the already overpriced fares, nothing to do with fixing any problems, simply caving in to the taxi mafia