Life in the uk test

The missus is due to take her test in the next few months does any one know is the test on a computer does she have to read the questions or is it a audio one

Think she will be ok with audio but reading not sure as I have struggled with some of them and I have been here 40 years

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just attempted that test .

As a reasonably well educated Englishman I was surprise by some of the questions.

The test should be validate against the "knowledge" of the average Brit who I guarantee would fail.

Scored 75 %

The test is not just to check knowledge. It indicates the ability to understand the contents of the 'book of the test', a little more complicated!

Passing the test without some study is not guaranteed for anyone that has not put in some work even if brought up for a lifetime in the UK. The average Brit would fail but the average Brit could pass easily with a little effort.

You can just about pass the test examples without knowing exact dates but you need to be fairly on the ball!

75% without study is not bad!

Mmm 62.5% As a not unintelligent Brit I thought I'd do better than that, I'm glad my wife's not going for settlement, I don't think she'd even understand a single question, let alone answer any...

It really is necessary to study to pass this test. Even with a pretty broad knowledge of British history it is not that easy to pass. I would doubt many of us would know many of the dates in the book/test without considerable work.

This test is to get applicants to learn about British history and how the country ticks! If someone can study to pass the English test requirements they can study (at the same time) facts about the country they intend to or are settled in!

I thought the test questions were quite interesting and I have to admit I learned quite a bit!

No complaints from me. If you are not willing to learn then perhaps you should keep going for FLR.

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

I think the problem is that the test requires the ability to read English whereas the English language test by itself only requires speaking and listening to be passed.

Obviously Thais have a greater problem with reading English than a lot of other nationalities. Does anyone know if any test books etc on LITUK are published in Thai script and whether that would be useful?

It is really expected that many will need to study to reach the required English standard and this will inevitably involve reading and writing.

LitUK is not required until FLR is required and gives at least two years for study. The whole idea of these tests is to improve the ability of new settlers to get the most out of life in the UK!

The ability to comprehend English, verbal and written is really important to achieve this. A good college course can give a massive boost to confidence!

The old test was covered with a Thai language book but I have not found an updated one to go with the new test.

I cannot see anything wrong with expecting someone to put in some hard graft to achieve the right to stay in the UK indefinitely.

This test should not be seen as a problem but more an opportunity!

• Like 2

It is really expected that many will need to study to reach the required English standard and this will inevitably involve reading and writing.

LitUK is not required until FLR is required and gives at least two years for study. The whole idea of these tests is to improve the ability of new settlers to get the most out of life in the UK!

The ability to comprehend English, verbal and written is really important to achieve this. A good college course can give a massive boost to confidence!

The old test was covered with a Thai language book but I have not found an updated one to go with the new test.

I cannot see anything wrong with expecting someone to put in some hard graft to achieve the right to stay in the UK indefinitely.

This test should not be seen as a problem but more an opportunity!

Actually I think LITUK has to be taken before ILR not FLR therefore giving 5 years to study it. I agree with some of what you say but have you ever known a Brit having to take a "Life Test in [wherever]" when they have lived abroad? Also in the colonial days we moved millions of people around the world without any regard for indigenous cultures....Malaya being a case in point.

My wife and I certainly don't look upon this as an opportunity more a pain in the backside.....yet another hoop to go through to obtain a visa that should be given automatically to people who prove they have a genuine relationship. Again, do you know any Brits having to pass a "Life In Test...." when they marry and live abroad. I can't think of any.

So if there is a book in Thai script about this bloody test then I will gladly buy it for my wife to study to give her the best possible chance to pass it.

• Like 2

If you want to take steps to settle in Thailand you will have a heck of a lot of hoops to jump through!

You are right - it is for ILR so you do have 5 years but you can take the exam at any time.

The rules are not just aimed at Thai's. One major purpose is to reduce the ghetto mentality that can easily arise with some groups. There are still plenty of people who came to the UK years ago who still don't speak English and interact only in limited ways with the general population. This has created problems!

Yes it is a hoop but it is one pretty much everybody has to jump through. The big plan is to make sure everyone granted ILR can speak some degree of English and knows a fair bit about the UK.

If someone chooses not to bother they can still continue to live in the UK but will need to apply for permission to stay in the UK at regular intervals. I am not aware of many countries that let you settle permanently without jumping through any number of hoops!

There are lots of on-line tools to help and these can be translated into some semblance of Thai using Google Translate.

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

Far too much history & not enough culture, & some more geography might well be useful, but then this test isn't designed to be helpful to people coming in just difficult to keep anybodies wives out who haven't got the intellect or money to spend lots of time in college.

I think it's an infringement of human rights for a British citizen not to be able to bring his or her spouse into the country without jumping through loads of hoops, Proving a genuine relationship, fair enough but the rest is just Bull****...

I know it's not just the UK by any means but that still doesn't alter the facts....

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice think I will download the audio book so she can listen on the way to work then maybe book the test in a few months maybe she just lucky on the day

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I freely accept this test is very flawed! It could and should be made much more relevant to applicants.

My experience is that the difficulties suffered are more down to education rather than intelligence. I cannot really see what was wrong with the system that allowed ESOL courses to be taught with citizenship materials as an alternative but the system is as it is. Immigration is a dirty word in the UK and the population in general seems happy to see as many hurdles placed in the path of immigrants.

The path from ILR to naturalisation is a pretty short and easy one so perhaps the LitUK should be a hurdle to jump before becoming a citizen rather than ILR.

Nothing can be done about EU immigration so linking it to non-EU immigration is not a useful thing to do IMO. It panders to the politicians.

The vast majority of non-EU immigrants are from India and Pakistan and these rules apply equally to them. Like it or not this test forces people to put in a lot of effort which they probably wouldn't do otherwise. At the end of the day it has a lot of similarities to the driving test which people don't like much but accept.

• Like 1

I agree with you that it would be a good idea to make LITUK a condition of citizenship rather than ILR. The cynic in me thinks that logical change will unlikely never happen because HMG would then not be able to collect £600+ for every FLR application from people who can't pass LITUK.

I agree that nothing can be done about EU immigration but I think it is useful to make the comparison to show how absurd the situations are.

From the responses in this topic and other topics in the forum I suspect that those that are broadly in favour of a LITUK and other related visa hoops are the ones whose partners already have ILR or citizenship whereas those broadly against all this nonsense, like myself, have partners that have to go through all these hoops to get ILR/citizenship. Perhaps those in the former category would rethink their position if their partners still had to through it all.

My wife is a citizen now but got ILR by taking an ESOL course. The materials studied were similar but there was a wider range of topics covered.

My sister-in-law has to pass this test later in the year and just has to get down and study!

It really is a very short hop from ILR to becoming a citizen and perhaps this could change. ESOL life skills for ILR and the full works to become a citizen.

That would be a little too much like common sense!

Yes wasas it is appalling that our thai wives are required to pass a test that the average brit couldn't!!!

For those of you here that say that is because they have to study it then I ask why??????? Surely the benchmark passmark should be what most brits could attain WITHOUT studying - because they've lived there whole life here!

Bob, there are some hoops to go through to settle in Thailand but nothing resembling a "Life in Thailand" test that has to be done in Thai script. If there was then the number of Brits settling there would be almost zero. In my opinion Thailand makes it quite easy to get visas - I got a 15 month visa for c. £100 issued in less than 2 days by post!

You say that ".....it is a hoop but it is one pretty much everyone has to jump through." However, the whole of Romania, Bulgaria and a number of other East European countries have the right to turn up at our border and live here permanently for evermore. Do they need a visa? - no! ......do they need to prove a relationship with anyone here? - no! .........do they need to pass an English test? - no! ..........do they need to take a TB test - no! ......do they need to apply for Further Leave to Remain - no! ......do they need to pass a LITUK test - no.

So to me this LITUK (and other visa hoops) smacks of re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic! A lot of the ghetto mentality and general problems you talk about are being caused by this huge influx of East Europeans not by the foreign partners of Brits who, for the most part, assimilate and learn about our culture and language simply because they live in the same house as ethnic Brits.

Durhamboy a great post and very true .

The schools in my area are awash with gangs of eastern Europeans I have first hand knowledge of Polish kids having virtually no English language skills even after 3 years living here , the mother speaks no English and only watches Polish TV that by the way does not have a TV license for , they are on housing benefit for certain and probably Tax credits etc .

It must have a detrimental effect for local UK born English kids in the school when such an influx all at once of poor English speakers .

The EU migration is the big problem in this country certainly not Wifes and Husbands of British born people .who as you say are integrating just by living with a Brit .

I agree with the principal of a LIT UK test but i think it should be for all migrants and should be a little easier . I tried and failed the test myself .

Having looked at some of the questions in this test, could someone please tell us why knowledge of Oliver Cromwell and other nonsensical questions will in any way assist someone to integrate into life in the UK? The average person in the street here couldn't answer most of the stupid questions in this test. The only conclusion I can draw is that this test has been set up to stop as many people as possible being given ILR. Although as others have said, these rules don't apply from EEU countries...............the whole immigration policy in the UK is just an utter shambles. If it wasn't so discriminatory and damaging to people's lives it would be laughable.

Who was Isambard Kingdom Brunel?

• A gardener
  • An artist
  • An engineer
  • A novelist

The above question from the book clearly will help someone from outwith Europe integrate themselves into UK society. Knowledge of this will help them obtain employment, build new relationships with the many thousands of Brunel afficionados who live in Glasgow and Manchester, and enhance family life. Any Thai girl living in the UK could not possibly have a successful marriage or bring up children or contribute to society without knowledge of Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Personally I would never have coped with being alive if someone hadn't told me who he was.

Edited by Rob180

Having looked at some of the questions in this test, could someone please tell us why knowledge of Oliver Cromwell and other nonsensical questions will in any way assist someone to integrate into life in the UK? The average person in the street here couldn't answer most of the stupid questions in this test. The only conclusion I can draw is that this test has been set up to stop as many people as possible being given ILR. Although as others have said, these rules don't apply from EEU countries...............the whole immigration policy in the UK is just an utter shambles. If it wasn't so discriminatory and damaging to people's lives it would be laughable.

Who was Isambard Kingdom Brunel?

• A gardener
  • An artist
  • An engineer
  • A novelist

The above question from the book clearly will help someone from outwith Europe integrate themselves into UK society. Knowledge of this will help them obtain employment, build new relationships with the many thousands of Brunel afficionados who live in Glasgow and Manchester, and enhance family life. Any Thai girl living in the UK could not possibly have a successful marriage or bring up children or contribute to society without knowledge of Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Personally I would never have coped with being alive if someone hadn't told me who he was.

Yes the question is perhaps a bit obscure, however if you can answer it you have learned that if a sentence begins with "who" and ends with a question mark then it is asking something about a person and you now know four different occupations/professions. I think that there is very little to learn just by answering the question but the work taken to be able to answer it adds to the applicant's vocabulary and understanding of English. I remember that when the wife did the test her understanding of words grew a lot. When she was practicing she always had her head in the dictionary and there was normally at least 3 or 4 words she had to learn before being able to understand, never mind answer the question. Different people have different views but for the additional learning it forces the applicant into gives it my vote.

This particular question doesn't exactly test your vocabulair or grammar skills, now does it?

Now if the question and answer were something such as:

"Who was Winston Churchill?" and the answers would be a) Twenty B) A former Prime Minister c) United Kingdom c) Policies.

Them, yes it would test your language skills ánd you might be able to learn something (learn who Sir Windston Churchill was).

Oh and I didn't know who Brunel was, heard the name or twice but had to look it up. I did recognize the image on Wikipedia of the tunnel below the Thames though (must have been in a documentary). Such information hardly is vital or even practical for settling in British society (getting a job, making friendsm taking care of your family, being a "good" or "social" citizen/neighbour etc.).

More like a "interest fact". The Dutch A1 entry exam (taken abroad at the embassy, which you need to pass before you can apply for a resident permit) has such question aswell. For instance it asks "Was the king of Spain a Catholic or a Protestant?" , refering to the time when the low countries were ruled by the Spaniards, which we defeated and got the first king of the house of Orange (our royal family).

Some questions regarding history, politics and society are kind practical or useful to know. Knowing a famous figure who is still refered to or mentioned quite often has it's uses. Nobody speaks of the king of Spain (Philip II ) at a regular basis anymore though, let alone the religion that he followed... But people may still refer to important political figures (in NL to "Willem Drees" who established the Welfare State, in the UK probably Chaimberlain , Churchill or Thatcher).

Sure you can learn the answers by heart, but some of them are far from useful and can easily be forgotten (chanches of hearing the name or subject in a conversation being rather small...). I'd rather limit such civic exams so they test practical items such as minimum (A1) language skills, very basic history, geography, politics and society related items etc.

Don't know about the British test but the Dutch one has several questions aimed at stereotypical muslims: "Are you allowed to hit women?", "Can women make their own decisions?", "In NL, do only men work or men and women?", "Is female circumsicion allowed?" and a few others like that. Nothing aimed at a stereotypical (east) Asian though or Russian. Even though in the last decade or so the amount of muslim immigrants has had a steady decline and even had a negative balance in some years, and people from China, Russia, India are in the top 3 of "non western immigrants". Thailand is in the top 10 aswell. The test seems to have been made with what the Dutch goverment sees as a stereotype/standard immigrant: muslim, low educated, female, conservative, ideas of this being a social welfare paradise with "free" or "easy" money for all etc. etc. No harm in covering those subjects too but the balance is completely gone. If you are better educated, not religious, progressive (including progresive muslims), more informed of "western values" etc. most of the test is pathetic or perhaps even insulting for those who take it very personal ("do they think I come from some backwards place, having lived under a rock all my life?") .

Some interesting comments made on Radio 4 this morning regarding care workers lacking basic English skills! The gist was, non-EU immigrants have to show English skills so why not EU immigrants? More and more jobs are likely to require evidence of English skills irrespective of country of origin.

Brunel made the short list for Britains Greatest Men (got to number two in the charts) so not really an obscure Briton! Many might not know who he was but everyone should!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons

I know many Thais and not one of them lacks the intelligence to pass the test. Some won't make the effort but there is nothing wrong with study to improve on the Thai education system. My wife would be able to pass in the same way she learned her highway code to pass her driving test over here - time spent studying.

Yes it takes a lot of study. Yes it is not easy! Why should it be?

EU immigrants don't need to learn the test due to treaties such as Regulation 2004/38. That has it's pro's and con's. Any immigrant who has a positive and open attitude, willing to integrate, has no need for a suitcase full of rules and regulations. They will learn the language and try their best to fit in by themselves, sometimes after helpfully pointing them in the correct general direction (as were to find certain info etc.). "Weaker" immigrants who have a more limited world view or social circle may find it more difficult to settle in. Some may be outright negative (unwilling) to try their best to fit in. They might do a bit better after being made to jump through some hoops such as exams, though ultimately if they really can't be arsed to fit in I doubt much knowledge will remain once they passed a certain exam. Are such exams useful to some? Sure, I bet it does, especially to those who need a bit of a "push" to get them started. For others it may be a waste of time and money because they will always remain negative or have enough skills and a positive attitude to fit in all by themselves. Remains the number of people which you scare off or can deport (withdraw their permit) because they are not fitting in at all. It's hardly a miracle solution though, these exams etc.

If I look at the Netherlands I'd see more use in limiting access to social wellfare and citizenship to having demonstrated certain skills (knowledge of the language, society etc. ). For other type of immigrants it may not be that important. If you are an expat and intend to return after a few years you may not have a need to really settle in, or incase of a British/Dutch & Thai couple, they may only be settling in the UK/NL for 2-3 years before returning to Thailand for retirement. Once their I'd hope any sane person would do their best to fit in their new country if they plan to live their (semi) permanently. Too bad the rotten or lazy apples spoil it for the rest.. ? The less rules the better, but ofcourse there is a need for atleast a some regulations to stop/restrict the risk of (potential) abuse or things getting out of hand.

A good person would simply do their best to settle in, trying not to be a burden or nuisance to others... be part of society, respect your own person, respect others, threat other's as you would like to be threated yourself, smile and enjoy life for as long/short as it lasts... :)

• Like 1

15 out of 24, 3 short of a pass off to hand myself in!

Ironically the Brunnel question was one of the easiest for me.

Personally I think the stated aim behind the test is a good idea, it is difficult to deny that some groups have failed to integrate over the years and that this has caused problems.

Have my suspicions on implementation however & real motivation.

A genuine system to encourage people to integrate would involve classes to educate & inform, not a book & a multiply choice test.

Frankly, I cannot understand why so many of you guys think that it is ok for our spouses to endure a LITUK to get ILR.

I just did a sample test. I did pass although I guessed correctly on a couple of questions.

One question was "King Richard III of the House of York was killed in the Battle of Bosworth Field in :-

1498?"

So you get a 13 year window to choose from.

Ok how many of you guys who support this test can answer that one correctly and how many of you think that it is required knowledge for someone wanting ILR?

Another question in the sample test :-

"There is no place in British Society for extremism or intolerance - true or false"

What a vague, esoteric question. Depending on what one is talking about then both answers could be correct e.g. racism (true), paedophilia (false as there must be a place for intolerance towards paedophiles).

I have deliberately not given the "so-called" correct answers.

By the way, Brunel's father was French - lucky he didn't have to do LITUK to get in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously Brunel's father, being French wouldn't have had to do the LITUK test. He would have free access to the UK - and could keep talking French. However other immigrants without the European background would still be stuck with it. biggrin.png

I can't actually see what the big problem is. I agree that some of the questions are peculiar but it's the learning process which gives the ability to pass the test and at the same time become an improved English speaker. I have been trying to work out how long my wife worked to pass the test and can't remember exactly but it was all over within about 6 weeks. Admittedly she did work very hard for the week before the test and she did improve her English. Now she can't remember the obscure questions or answers but she still remembers how to communicate with others in the English that the LITUK required her to learn and understand.

Unless you can change the system in the near future I think that just helping the wife to pass the test is the answer. I cannot believe that anything is going to get easier or cheaper in the future. I think that most people accept that the better your English is the better your life is going to be in the UK.

• Like 1

Yes Steady there are some benefits to studying anything. The point is that our wives should not have to study such obscure things as a CONDITION OF BEING GRANTED ILR.

Possibly it could be justified as a condition for citizenship but not ILR.

My Brunel comment was, as I think you know, tongue in cheek. The bigger picture is that if this country had discouraged immigration then in the same way as it seems to now then maybe people of the calibre of Brunel would not have bothered coming here to the detriment of this country's progress.

Durhamboy many of your comments are correct but they are much bigger than the LITUK test issue. I agree that it may be more suitable for citizenship rather than ILR but for my wife passing the test sooner has benefits (maybe only in our eyes). The wife can now stay in the UK indefinitely, she has started being part of our society and is understanding more, both language and culture, and perhaps most importantly she feels that she is progressing. Waiting a longer time before sitting the test also leaves us open to any changes from the government. I can only see things becoming more expensive and more difficult to pass in the future and it's wiser to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I think that many people consider your view of the country and immigration to be the way it is. I certainly wouldn't argue with it. I just wish that the government would ensure that when they say immigration they mean people outside the EU, because EU citizens in my eyes are only exercising their rights to move between countries without having to jump through the hoops our wives have to, they are not immigrants in the same sense of the word. Unfortunately all "immigrants" seem to be tarred with the same brush.