My first Songkran experience!

arnold40844

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you took the time to actually read the post you would see that it was not the water I had an issue with at all. I was covered from head to toe in all sorts of stinking pink gunky mess. I was virtually blinded, clothes stained in red food dye, had to find someone with a hose to was my eyes out before I could continue riding.

Another thing, i'm from North Wales, we snowboard in our underpants before breakfast.

Jeez, complaining about getting wet for a New Years day in the Tropics.

Try doing Hogmanay for a week in Scotland in freezing temperatures...

I won the competition of how many police men i could kiss running down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. I actually didn't kiss them, i was just trying to keep warm. And this was when we dressed sensibly in the winter. none of those flimsy wee frocks and high heels we see nowadays. I was wrapped up like a michelin man.

I have done Songkran twice and it was so much fun. I have also done Paddy's day twice on Koh Samui and it was great, to just go out and enjoy yourself without having to put on layers of clothes is such a wonderful feeling.

I envy you.

" Another thing, i'm from North Wales, we snowboard in our underpants before breakfast "

After breakfast it's everyman for himself with the wellies.

Edited by nanapong

Jeez, complaining about getting wet for a New Years day in the Tropics.

Try doing Hogmanay for a week in Scotland in freezing temperatures...

I won the competition of how many police men i could kiss running down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. I actually didn't kiss them, i was just trying to keep warm. And this was when we dressed sensibly in the winter. none of those flimsy wee frocks and high heels we see nowadays. I was wrapped up like a michelin man.

I have done Songkran twice and it was so much fun. I have also done Paddy's day twice on Koh Samui and it was great, to just go out and enjoy yourself without having to put on layers of clothes is such a wonderful feeling.

I envy you.

You bring new meaning to the word "fun".

I went to Khao San all day on Sunday and saw lots of people having fun and people were generally well natured and having a laugh together.

One Thai bloke went ape shit in front of a 7-1 and literally 10 guards swarmed in on him and dragged him down an alleyway for I imagine a good solid beatings. No one pushed me, shoved me or did anything in an aggressive manner at all towards me, my wife or my 10 year old son.

Get yourself down to Khao San / Soi Rambuttri and have a blast!

Just curious where this took place. Skimmed through all the posts and didn't see where this happened.

In the couple of times I have gotten out and into the thick of things here in Pattaya I have never experienced what you did. You always have the a-holes that spray hard streams of water at you (usually falang) and don't give a hoot if you are on a bike or not, but the other stuff...no. There are always concerns about how clean the water may be and the flour thing is all part of it, though it is usually applied gently to your face. However, there are people that throw it also, but less common than throwing water on you.

Now the red dye, soapy water and fishy smelling stuff I've never heard of or experienced. Next year I'd find a better, tamer place to drive through.

Edited by oneday

It was down some street off Samrong so near Samutprakan. Spoken to a few of my neighbors since and they just said "it gets mental down that way", Avoid like the plague...

Just curious where this took place. Skimmed through all the posts and didn't see where this happened.

In the couple of times I have gotten out and into the thick of things here in Pattaya I have never experienced what you did. You always have the a-holes that spray hard streams of water at you (usually falang) and don't give a hoot if you are on a bike or not, but the other stuff...no. There are always concerns about how clean the water may be and the flour thing is all part of it, though it is usually applied gently to your face. However, there are people that throw it also, but less common than throwing water on you.

Now the red dye, soapy water and fishy smelling stuff I've never heard of or experienced. Next year I'd find a better, tamer place to drive through.

Rule? All I'll say is that when I got knocked off my motor bike with a point-blank bucket of water, smashed up my bike, glasses broken, and me a bloody mess, the guys thought it was funny.

Forgive them for they know not what they do

In fact the uneducated morons do not have clue.

Had a Songkran in Phuket many years ago with 2 sons who were around 14 & 15 at the time; had a ball. Many years later living in Pattaya; still had fun for a day or two but after that it wears thin. You soon learn to stay out of town if you want to avoid it. Spent one Songkran in Koh Chang and that was fairly civilised, water throwing for two days only.

As I understand it the tradition focuses on water. I am purely talking about other substances here. If common sense was used here thousands of injuries and hundreds deaths could be avoided.

Example 1: Its not a good idea to throw water at an IT City where there are lots of expensive electrical devices. Common sense.

Example 2: Its not a good idea to throw a chemical compound and flour in the eyes of someone who is riding a motorcycle in busy traffic. Common sense.

Example 3: Bubbles are very fun, we all like them in the bath. But when you throw large amounts of surfactants on to a road you get what is called a skid pan, this is very dangerous in busy traffic. Common sense.

The heart of this issue I think lies with the imbeciles having no concern for who they might injure, maybe they are aware of the above risks and they do it anyway, that's a scarier thought than just pure idiocy in my opinion.

... try so hard to fit in with Thai culture for my kids sake, I have made every effort to learn the language, customs and traditions ..

Arnold ... how long have you been living in Thailand?

Guess he missed studying one tradition.

I think I might be missing something here. "Common sense" !!! Me thinks Big C & 7-11 have been out of stock of this commodity for some generations now. Maybe you know something the Thai's & me alike don't know.

In past years I've joined in all the fun & frivolity but nearing my use by date I just can't be bothered any more. My common sense tells me it's a good time to catch up on some e mails & give Songkran a wide berth.

As already mentioned. You have another 52 weeks to prepare.... Good luck.

Arnold its a day to spend with family. Sounds like you got into a real bad area. Also not a good idea to ride your motorbike into the large throngs of people, go another way if you can. People that are really pissed anywhere have no control. Here the celebration I went to people were respectfully requesting permission before gently daubing faces with powder and then dousing. BTW its mostly baby powder I think not flour. As you have been here for 12 months now I hope you should be starting to cope better but by your language which is rather emotive ie cheap filth instead of local beer it appears that things haven't gone your way. Thai people don't say hello, thanks or goodbye surely you must have learnt that, there is no disrespect intended.

Songkran is a well-known event, so either plan for it or hide in your home. I am a foreigner and had decided to walk along the highway frontage road to a nearby Big C for groceries and just knew it would be a wet trip. So I dressed in drip dry shorts and hawaiian shirt, wrapped wallet in plastic and got watered and pasted by nurses and attendenats at the hospital next to Big C, both coming and going. All were polite, cheerful, and almost a little too careful not to upset me. But when they saw I smiled and shouted good luck, they cheered me. In Big C I got a lot of approving looks as well.

You are supposed to go slow past all the crowds throwing water, and wear clothes you can ditch after.

Got a daughter who's nine, she loved it, me, I endured it because of her.

Pretty fed up with songkran after 8 years now but my daughters laughter makes up for it.

Thanks for you comments. I was in a very bad mood yesterday, had a stressful few weeks. My daughter was bitten by a dog on our Soi, then 2 weeks later hit by a swing at the park and rushed to hospital for stitches, this week my two have a bout of the flu with temperatures through the roof.

Its just a case of the straws that brake the camels back i think. after 14 hours at the desk you get home to find all your beer gone...

I know the stuff you are referring to, this was like pancake batter. It was definitely flour.

Arnold its a day to spend with family. Sounds like you got into a real bad area. Also not a good idea to ride your motorbike into the large throngs of people, go another way if you can. People that are really pissed anywhere have no control. Here the celebration I went to people were respectfully requesting permission before gently daubing faces with powder and then dousing. BTW its mostly baby powder I think not flour. As you have been here for 12 months now I hope you should be starting to cope better but by your language which is rather emotive ie cheap filth instead of local beer it appears that things haven't gone your way. Thai people don't say hello, thanks or goodbye surely you must have learnt that, there is no disrespect intended.

I would have loved to make it to a family orientated event as many of my friends did.. My daughter has stitches on her chin from being hit by a swing so was obviously out of the question.

I have been out on many occasions and over the last few days and got soaked, taking all the necessary precautions with my phone, wallet etc. And seeing the funny light hearted side to the tradition. All this post was about was that I failed to see the funny side of being covered in flour, soap, food colouring and god knows what else. It stained and irritated my skin, ruined my clothes, I took serious offence to it and saw it as an assault rather than a water fight.

You are supposed to go slow past all the crowds throwing water, and wear clothes you can ditch after.

Got a daughter who's nine, she loved it, me, I endured it because of her.

Pretty fed up with songkran after 8 years now but my daughters laughter makes up for it.

Just short of a year. My wife and I met in the UK when we were in our early 20s, we have 2 kids with dual nationality and I thought a 4 to 5 year stint over here was a good idea. my eldest is starting school next term.

Dont get me wrong, I love this country but honestly mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif I am more frequently erupting in rants of utter dismay.

Take last week for example.... Two of my wife's cousins, one husband and three kids turn up at our house unannounced and decide they are going to stay for a few days, bit surprised but no real issues. I just keep myself to myself, try and be polite and communicate as much as possible with them in Thai. Over the entire duration of their stay I did not get one Hello, Thank you or Goodbye which I honestly couldn't care less about, thats just down to upbringing and its not my job to teach adults how to behave in respectful way.. What really got to me was the fact that the husband drank all the beer in my fridge when i was out, mostly expensive German pilsner not cheap filth.

I am just here so that my kids can learn about their cultural heritage and get to know their grand parents.

Nevermind..... as my old man would say "Jesus Christ give me the stregnth to live another day" lol

... try so hard to fit in with Thai culture for my kids sake, I have made every effort to learn the language, customs and traditions ..

Arnold you have to make the relatives think you are a little crazy,like physco crazy,works for me,they would never dare touch my beer,also make sure you have some leo beer around,they mostly prefer this to good german beer.

It just riles me up. Every grievance or issue that is posted on this site is followed by comments saying "Go Home"

I am British, the only culture we have left is to constantly complain about things whilst standing in orderly cues and not forgetting manners.

And yet despite stories such as these we still get loads of knobs saying 'if you dont like it then go home, this is their country, not yours'.....This is not culture or Songkran tradition, it is hijacking the holiday to act like complete dumbasses and piss everyone else off for your own amusement. Songkran when done properly is good and nice, done the idiot way is just plain aggrevating...

Just short of a year. My wife and I met in the UK when we were in our early 20s, we have 2 kids with dual nationality and I thought a 4 to 5 year stint over here was a good idea. my eldest is starting school next term.

Dont get me wrong, I love this country but honestly mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif I am more frequently erupting in rants of utter dismay.

Take last week for example.... Two of my wife's cousins, one husband and three kids turn up at our house unannounced and decide they are going to stay for a few days, bit surprised but no real issues. I just keep myself to myself, try and be polite and communicate as much as possible with them in Thai. Over the entire duration of their stay I did not get one Hello, Thank you or Goodbye which I honestly couldn't care less about, thats just down to upbringing and its not my job to teach adults how to behave in respectful way.. What really got to me was the fact that the husband drank all the beer in my fridge when i was out, mostly expensive German pilsner not cheap filth.

I am just here so that my kids can learn about their cultural heritage and get to know their grand parents.

Nevermind..... as my old man would say "Jesus Christ give me the stregnth to live another day" lol

Arnold you have to make the relatives think you are a little crazy,like physco crazy,works for me,they would never dare touch my beer,also make sure you have some leo beer around,they mostly prefer this to good german beer.

Haha. They know i'm a soft touch. Went to a family funeral about 4 months ago and was just constantly being grilled. I started introducing myself as pom farang yai, and my kids as farang lek lek neang and farang lek lek song. Encouraging them not to call me by name as they were not going to anyway.

That was true many years ago with my wife's Thai family. Since then they have learned that I demand respect (including saying hello, thanks or goodbye and the contents of my fridge), and now if they don't they get an earful from the wife.

Last Sunday they all came to pay their respects in the traditional manner, and afterwards we had a nice barbecue and after that the kids could have fun in the garden with waterhoses.

It was a nice day for all ( I think) but at 7 p.m. it was all over.

Have to mention that I'm the oldest in the family.

Anyway that's the Songkran I like.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Unfortunately, the education system is not the type where thinking (cause and consequence) is taught. Have you seen what they must watch on TV (Thai soaps)! Jeesh! One loses IQ points on that VERY FAST (social IQ points, included)!

Yesterday, my wife (THai) was driving the scooter and she had one Thai woman running with a bucket towards her. We assumed it was water, but it was some kind of powder. I had a fill helmet so she did not target me. My wife got some poweder on her face, but not the full amount because I quickly removed the lady/the bucket from the perpetrator. My wife did not appreciate this, as she think all Thais should know this powder would burn the skin. Not sure if this is so. But, Songhkran has degenerated. Was she targeted because she was riding with a foreigner (jealousy)?

Again, there are idiots everywhere thanks in part to a school system lacking in decent programs! There are also idiots born everywhere. Sad, but true!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-filmmaker-jesse-freeston-posts-video-of-alleged-laptop-theft-1.2610211

http://www.ahryunmoon.com/blog/blog/2014/04/05/girl-macbook-air/

Of course, who is the idiot here is debatable? We know who the criminal is though! Banksters making billions are, but they are not criminals, although the shareholders! :)

Rule? All I'll say is that when I got knocked off my motor bike with a point-blank bucket of water, smashed up my bike, glasses broken, and me a bloody mess, the guys thought it was funny.

Sorry to read about that Mr Crab, some TV members actually think Songcran is great, and if you ride a motorbike, all you have to do is be aware, and slow down and you will be OK. Your post confirms everything I have said in my posts, particularly yesterday, about morons, and that's exactly what they are, throwing buckets of water at traveling motorbikes.

What's this all about?....Idioty...or Thainess...

Remarkable also is that in the morning there are a lot of police checks...once they collected enough money, somewhere early afternoon, no one sees them anymore whilst drunk drivers racing in pick-ups claiming both sides of the road ans splashing dirt around.

Off course...all of this with the Amazing Smile...

The family were out doing that stuff clap2.gif , I stayed home with buckets of beer and had "The Who" at full blast with nooooooooooone to complain..............intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

Would you not have been better listening to "The Byrds" Trans? Surely much more pleasant, even at full blast.

Stay home next time like most of us try to do. Sorry about your bad experience , try Isaan next time.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Well, even Isaan isn't safe... orange coloured water that ruins your clothes...

As I understand it the tradition focuses on water. I am purely talking about other substances here. If common sense was used here thousands of injuries and hundreds deaths could be avoided.

Example 1: Its not a good idea to throw water at an IT City where there are lots of expensive electrical devices. Common sense.

Example 2: Its not a good idea to throw a chemical compound and flour in the eyes of someone who is riding a motorcycle in busy traffic. Common sense.

Example 3: Bubbles are very fun, we all like them in the bath. But when you throw large amounts of surfactants on to a road you get what is called a skid pan, this is very dangerous in busy traffic. Common sense.

The heart of this issue I think lies with the imbeciles having no concern for who they might injure, maybe they are aware of the above risks and they do it anyway, that's a scarier thought than just pure idiocy in my opinion.

Guess he missed studying one tradition.

Common sense in Thailand at Songcran?????????????????????????

Thanks for you comments. I was in a very bad mood yesterday, had a stressful few weeks. My daughter was bitten by a dog on our Soi, then 2 weeks later hit by a swing at the park and rushed to hospital for stitches, this week my two have a bout of the flu with temperatures through the roof.

Its just a case of the straws that brake the camels back i think. after 14 hours at the desk you get home to find all your beer gone...

I know the stuff you are referring to, this was like pancake batter. It was definitely flour.

Your last sentence is spot on, but for the husband to drink all his beer when he was out, that was way over the top, and ignorance at it's worst. It does not matter whether it's in Thailand or anywhere else.