My first Songkran experience!

arnold40844

Songkran.. An event that I had heard a lot about but not experienced till now. I have to say I was deeply disappointed by what i understood to be a bit of fun throwing water around to cleanse people of their past woes, or something to that effect..

For a start most of what was being thrown in that street was not water, or at least not only water... Water with red food coloring and flour in the eyes when riding a motorbike is not a cleansing experience, something that tasted very fishy, looked like it had anchovies in the bucket, and also some of them were throwing soapy water. During my speedy but partially blinded exit I would not have been surprised to have across a reenactment of the scene from Zoolander where they have a water fight at the fueling station with petrol.

Shirt, trainers, trouser all ruined. Icannot get the food coloring off my face, neck or arms and may have digested something that will give me food poisoning.

I fail to see the cleansing side to this age old tradition, I would say its closer to assault and vandalism.

Thoughts???

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there some sort of rule that says the substance you throw over people must be innocuous?? I fail to see the funny side of it when it is clearly causing damage. I try so hard to fit in with Thai culture for my kids sake, I have made every effort to learn the language, customs and traditions but fail to see how this can be viewed in humorous way..

I suppose all you can do is give them a slow clap of derision and move onclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

Better to keep the bike in on Songkran.

I had Songkran today in Phanat Nikhom. I was in my pick up with family and friends as usual. Got wet and came home. Now knackered.

Once a year I can cope.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The thought crossed my mind that if I were knocked off my bike and went under a bus their first reaction would be to laugh....

I have been with my wife since we were at Uni in the UK, I heard a lot about it from her over the last 5 years.

I have no issue with people throwing water.. but soapy, floury, dyed gunk. My eyes are still blood shot. Why dont you just throw sand in my eyes or the flour without the water... I mean perhaps their intention is to cause an accident.. whatever their motive the world would be a better place without these 99 cent short of a dollar morons.

Happy Songkran, stay safe!!

Just short of a year. My wife and I met in the UK when we were in our early 20s, we have 2 kids with dual nationality and I thought a 4 to 5 year stint over here was a good idea. my eldest is starting school next term.

Dont get me wrong, I love this country but honestly mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif I am more frequently erupting in rants of utter dismay.

Take last week for example.... Two of my wife's cousins, one husband and three kids turn up at our house unannounced and decide they are going to stay for a few days, bit surprised but no real issues. I just keep myself to myself, try and be polite and communicate as much as possible with them in Thai. Over the entire duration of their stay I did not get one Hello, Thank you or Goodbye which I honestly couldn't care less about, thats just down to upbringing and its not my job to teach adults how to behave in respectful way.. What really got to me was the fact that the husband drank all the beer in my fridge when i was out, mostly expensive German pilsner not cheap filth.

I am just here so that my kids can learn about their cultural heritage and get to know their grand parents.

Nevermind..... as my old man would say "Jesus Christ give me the stregnth to live another day" lol

... try so hard to fit in with Thai culture for my kids sake, I have made every effort to learn the language, customs and traditions ..

Arnold ... how long have you been living in Thailand?

Better to keep the bike in on Songkran. -- True. But this was at 7:30 in the morning when things are all-clear but I unknowingly stumbled on a 24-hour party.

Songkran!

As I understand it the tradition focuses on water. I am purely talking about other substances here. If common sense was used here thousands of injuries and hundreds deaths could be avoided.

Example 1: Its not a good idea to throw water at an IT City where there are lots of expensive electrical devices. Common sense.

Example 2: Its not a good idea to throw a chemical compound and flour in the eyes of someone who is riding a motorcycle in busy traffic. Common sense.

Example 3: Bubbles are very fun, we all like them in the bath. But when you throw large amounts of surfactants on to a road you get what is called a skid pan, this is very dangerous in busy traffic. Common sense.

The heart of this issue I think lies with the imbeciles having no concern for who they might injure, maybe they are aware of the above risks and they do it anyway, that's a scarier thought than just pure idiocy in my opinion.

... try so hard to fit in with Thai culture for my kids sake, I have made every effort to learn the language, customs and traditions ..

Guess he missed studying one tradition.
  • Like 1

As I understand it the tradition focuses on water. I am purely talking about other substances here. If common sense was used here thousands of injuries and hundreds deaths could be avoided.

Example 1: Its not a good idea to throw water at an IT City where there are lots of expensive electrical devices. Common sense.

Example 2: Its not a good idea to throw a chemical compound and flour in the eyes of someone who is riding a motorcycle in busy traffic. Common sense.

Example 3: Bubbles are very fun, we all like them in the bath. But when you throw large amounts of surfactants on to a road you get what is called a skid pan, this is very dangerous in busy traffic. Common sense.

The heart of this issue I think lies with the imbeciles having no concern for who they might injure, maybe they are aware of the above risks and they do it anyway, that's a scarier thought than just pure idiocy in my opinion.

Guess he missed studying one tradition.

Its SONGKRAN.....Its Thailand.

The heart of this issue I think lies with the imbeciles......

Your 3 examples are followed by the simple truth that explains why so many people here have no common sense.

To give it some balance, there are a fair few imbeciles in the UK. The major difference being the nanny state has put many, many controls in place to protect them from their own

lack of common sense. But bless them, with limited options, they still manage to find ways to hurt themselves or others.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

You make a good point.

I think the recent neck nominations game is a good example of this. The basic idea of the game was to record yourself having a pint of your choice, saying cheers and nominating someone else, there was no mention of extremes or excess. Its the idiots that turned it in to the global concern it became, necking bottles of vodka and smashing them over your head sort of behavior.. I guess its similar with Songkran. A nice idea taken to dangerous extremes by idiots.

The heart of this issue I think lies with the imbeciles......

Your 3 examples are followed by the simple truth that explains why so many people here have no common sense.

To give it some balance, there are a fair few imbeciles in the UK. The major difference being the nanny state has put many, many controls in place to protect them from their own
lack of common sense. But bless them, with limited options, they still manage to find ways to hurt themselves or others.

• Like 1

I am out of touch, living my sheltered life in Issan.

Not heard of neknominations until you educated me.

Quick search on the internet brought

me up to date.

Presumably 'planking' has died a death and this is the latest craze?

Yeah similar sort of thing. It all started in Australia I think, seemed quite tame at first, but gradually turned in to a game of getting one up on whoever nominated you. Mostly people were just stripping down to a pair of y-fronts and necking a pint of red wine. It all started to get a bit silly though, a few deaths in the space of a couple of days. Some guy necked a bottle of vodka and jumped of a bridge in the UK.

To be fair some of them are quite funny, thousands of them on youtube.

I am out of touch, living my sheltered life in Issan.

Not heard of neknominations until you educated me.
Quick search on the internet brought
me up to date.
Presumably 'planking' has died a death and this is the latest craze?

Jeez, complaining about getting wet for a New Years day in the Tropics.

Try doing Hogmanay for a week in Scotland in freezing temperatures...

I won the competition of how many police men i could kiss running down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. I actually didn't kiss them, i was just trying to keep warm. And this was when we dressed sensibly in the winter. none of those flimsy wee frocks and high heels we see nowadays. I was wrapped up like a michelin man.

I have done Songkran twice and it was so much fun. I have also done Paddy's day twice on Koh Samui and it was great, to just go out and enjoy yourself without having to put on layers of clothes is such a wonderful feeling.

I envy you.

Edited by Patsycat

If you took the time to actually read the post you would see that it was not the water I had an issue with at all. I was covered from head to toe in all sorts of stinking pink gunky mess. I was virtually blinded, clothes stained in red food dye, had to find someone with a hose to was my eyes out before I could continue riding.

Another thing, i'm from North Wales, we snowboard in our underpants before breakfast.

Jeez, complaining about getting wet for a New Years day in the Tropics.

Try doing Hogmanay for a week in Scotland in freezing temperatures...

I won the competition of how many police men i could kiss running down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. I actually didn't kiss them, i was just trying to keep warm. And this was when we dressed sensibly in the winter. none of those flimsy wee frocks and high heels we see nowadays. I was wrapped up like a michelin man.

I have done Songkran twice and it was so much fun. I have also done Paddy's day twice on Koh Samui and it was great, to just go out and enjoy yourself without having to put on layers of clothes is such a wonderful feeling.

I envy you.

• Like 1